Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Aces High posted:

how much does that cup weigh? He's sure getting a good arm workout by not ever letting go of it :unsmith:

I thought it was Michael Jordan's arm holding it though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

LumpyGumby posted:

It's the avalanches turn to make the central division a nightmare so we're going to sign Tavares, sorry y'all.

The Avalance are going to win the draft lottery next year with the Senators pick for maximum hilarity no matter how they play this season.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Vincent Van Goat posted:

There was Rust who shotgunned a beer during the parade in 16, and maata passed out on his balcony in 17

You also had Dumo triple fisting Bud Lights in 2016.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

A bit of #3 and the article mentioned he really liked playing for Rick Tocchet

It's also a Yohe article, who is still angry at Kessel for not talking to the media at locker clean out day, and Rutherford for trading Cole because he would talk to the media constantly, so he has been running with the same rumor since the offseason started over multiple articles.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1009526480374763521?s=19

I'm not surprised to see Tom Kostopolous in a coaching role. In fact, I was expecting it when he announced his retirement.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

oh lol rip what the gently caress happened to him

Hershey was really bad this year... like top to bottom bad. They were last place in the division, and spent most of the season there.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

They better start Samsonov and start getting him experience.

Washington actually has control over who Hershey plays now, since they threatened to move the team if they didn't get this control. (Previously they were a farm team in name only, and were mostly AHL all-stars as the players seeing the most playing time.)

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

Are we still affiliated with that lower tier team in Charleston SC, the Stingrays I think?

I honestly don't know. I just know some people in the WBS front office so I was informed of the discussions around Hershey before they signed the Multi-year deal with Washington. I know there were some talks between them and Binghamton if Hershey wouldn't give up control of team management That's how they got the deal, and Binghamton got the Devils. (Having multiple AHL ready arenas without teams gives leverage in negotiations.)

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

How did that go down? I mean, the Caps have been abusing Hershey for years now, trading away draft picks, keeping starters in DC to wear a suit, etc. How could the Caps force Hershey to move, aren't they independently owned?

It's always been a weird relationship, I don't understand how the Caps took control.

The team is independently owned, but the AHL franchise agreement is owned by Washington. They would have to find a new NHL team willing to give them an AHL team, and being that they are know to care more for their personal franchise success than the potential NHL player that could get called up at any time (which is why some of those players are always with the Caps until recently) it could make it more difficult for them to find any NHL team willing to stay there. (If they moved the team wouldn't be called the "Bears" they would be called something new.)

Edit: As an example of the differences of the way the franchises think of their players: a lot of Hershey fans hate Holtby for leaving their team. A lot of WBS fans are upset because Murray got called up when they think it may have been the one year the team would have won a Calder Cup, but are still thrilled because we get to see players graduate to the NHL.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 22, 2018

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

Mage I'm sure you can confirm this when I say Hershey fans are the absolute worst in the AHL

Totally, some 30 something fat Bears fan tried to start a fight with my 69 year old ex navy father. It was funny watching him when he realized half the stands around him started to stand up and stare at him.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1010613860724862977

why

Like, this is the second trade the Oilers and Habs have done this year involving the Oilers getting a goalie and the Habs getting a draft pick, and I think the Habs have won both times.

Well, the Oilers win for best hockey name here.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

The Lauzon and Connor Hall picks were uh interesting so I'm definitely much happier about a guy with some skill.

The Pens didn't even sign Connor Hall he was so bad lol

It wasn't that he was bad, it was that he had what is possibly a career ending injury. Which seems fitting, since he was drafted from the pick the Pens got for Beau Bennet.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

It definitely does. Too long, and for somehow still too much.

My hope with it is that maybe he will be less of a disaster if he's played in the right slot as a third pairing guy. But it has the potential to look pretty bad.

There's a rumor going around that he might be on the second pairing with Maatta, which would make this even worse.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

whatis posted:

jason botterill has got a fat loving broken head and he's ruining my favorite hockey team

The Pens signed Jack Johnson for 5 years after he left as an assistant GM, I would mind seeing him back.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I didn't realize Rossi was still employed. He's cosmically stupid even ignoring the sports journalism stigma.

Rossi is the Editor-in-chief of the Pittsburgh City Paper, replacing the guy they fired for writing a story about a corrupt politician who happened to be connected to their publisher. So, yep it's fitting that he is employed.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

How many Espys has Sidney Crosby won?

:smug:

He still has an Oscar.

Edit: it was an Emmy
https://triblive.com/sports/penguins/11199884-74/crosby-emmy-penguins

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

iospace posted:

As I think the non-NHL league thread slipped into the archives during the offseason, have crossover with...

NASCAR?

https://twitter.com/TimmyHillRacer/status/1021803641571864582

Oh gently caress, it's race weekend again? I don't want to leave my house anymore, I hate race weekend traffic.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

I mean they're not gonna be the hockey Cubs, right? Right? :negative:

Well, let's see the list:
Same division as Pittsburgh
Rivals of Pittsburgh
Failing for a long time
City still loves them

All we're missing is a billy goat curse.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

I thought this was some made up sport we played in high school gym, I didn't realize it was an actual sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

hasn't even been 10 years since LIGHT A MUP

Has it even been 10 months since LIGHT A MUP? I'm pretty sure they still used it at times last season. (Or maybe that was just the AHL.)

• Locked thread