Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Former Human posted:

FYI they spent $36,000 on Seagate drives that they bought from a third party seller off Newegg. Any bets on how long this one lasts?

I think Seagate gave them the drives and they were just using that third party seller to determine the market value since nobody else had any yet.

Not that it makes any of the rest of it less stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

They had to open the box to know the pins were bent. Because they never would have guessed the issue there.

Given the "thermal pate" comments, I wouldn't be so sure they didn't just assume it was broken pins because that's probably the #1 motherboard failure/return reason anyway and then toss it on a shelf without even looking.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Combat Pretzel posted:

I mean, they uploaded a video looking at a capacitor in a monitor PSU, waiting for it to blow up, and nothing happened.

I honestly liked that more than “there is a seemingly repeated issue that didn’t happen to us, guess we shouldn’t bother saying anything”.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

But then they'd make slightly less money, and that is the greatest crime possible.

The highlight imo was back at the start with Newegg trying to cancel the recording part of the meeting until they realized that Steve would publicly call them out for doing that and then un-changed their minds. That alone makes anything else they say worthy of doubt in and of itself.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

That's my point, it makes it very transparently obvious it's just damage control and they aren't necessarily concerned about the actual issue just the potential bad press.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Former Human posted:

How does Linus Torvalds pronounce it???

I think it's more like Lee-nus instead of Lie-nus.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Wonder why it got private'd

Whatever it was they just undid it and it's public again.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

They actually did have a test run with front panel removed in there somewhere and it brought it "down" to 87C iirc. Probably just because there was already no way to save that thing so you might as well do it for giggles to see what happens.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

CoolCab posted:

they were sooooo familiar with each other? it didn't feel like boss behaviour

Every time Jake is at Linus' house.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

GutBomb posted:

He seems so familiar there I wonder if Jake is actually moving in there too. I know in the videos he's there to help set up but there's a ton of "we" and "our room" talk that makes it sound like he's going to live there too. I could just be seeing stuff that's not there too, who knows.

Agreeing that it's probably just he expects to hang out there a lot, but honestly if somebody's first exposure to LTT was one of those videos and they concluded Jake was in a poly triad with Linus and his wife I'd have a hard time saying they're wrong.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

njsykora posted:

Yeah but posts on a dead comedy forum aren’t monetisable content.

I'd be surprised if we don't see a video that's basically just Linus walking around going "and this is also missing" while making sad noises. It wouldn't be hard to make and they could play it up as "THE LAB IS RUINED" or whatever clickbait title.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Adolf Glitter posted:

That video is infuriating. Firmware for light bulbs? What the gently caress.

Hey, be fair, it was firmware for light switches :v:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Adolf Glitter posted:

Just watched the LTT video of the new property. They come across as very inexperienced and naive.
Not totally surprised I guess, but it's funny that they don't realise they look like they just yolo'd a massive purchase.

It's better than my massive warehouse and successful channel I guess

What do you think the odds are that they even hired an inspector? Though I guess given how insane real estate is lately that may have not even been an option, but it feels like they didn't even have somebody going "make sure you check for X".

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm curious if people will follow him for the hardcore data stuff that they just built a big lab for - I go to Steve @ GN when I want data. Linus is for tech flavored dumb entertainment.

He sure seems like he wants the ability to compete with GN etc. in terms of technical ability but I'm very curious what the presentation will be like. I have a hard time believing he'll manage to have an LMG channel put out videos nearly as dry as GN manages, but that's what you need to actually fairly compare anything non-trivial. Not to mention, if they're really trying to review every single product category or whatever, how many videos a week is that going to take?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Warmachine posted:

For LMG to compete with GN, they also have to match up against the incumbent's reputation. GN's reputation as the source for well-researched technical analysis of enthusiast hardware, sober and unbiased reporting, and willingness to take vendors to task for their fuckups is going to be a much higher wall to vault for the LMG, famous for their wacky comedic excess content.

You can throw money at things like technical expertise, equipment, and writers to get up to parity quickly. It's harder to buy a reputation.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. As kliras was saying these videos would need to be pretty tonally different from the rest of the LMG channels and I wonder how much Linus will be able to resist dumb clickbait engagement poo poo.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I've got a GN mousemat and the GN coasters because I needed a new one of both those things and I like GN and want to support them for being one of the few groups in tech that seem to have actual integrity. I'm sure I could have gotten better value with generic ones but whatever they weren't that crazy and they're nice enough to justify the price and I get to feel like I contributed to a thing that I like so :shrug: and it's not like anybody's going to see any branding on those without already being aware that I am an absolutely tremendous nerd.

$250 is way past the point of diminishing returns though. Nor am I buying a $90 screwdriver or whatever that's going to wind up being. I'm sure they're both very nicely made, but they can't be that nicely made.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I can't wait for Linus to manage a world-record bad response to this given his utter inability to admit that he might have been wrong about something. Even if he actually is innocent he'll probably find a way to come out looking horrible.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linus should realize

I found the problem with this plan.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

kliras posted:

love too see the squalor that employees of the second-biggest tech channel on youtube live in

Linus showing off his literal mansion is hilarious when most of the people in the intel tech upgrade videos are living in a tiny apartment if not still living with their parents.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

CordlessPen posted:

It's especially bad for Anthony who's been there since the beginning, is 10 times as knowledgeable as Linus but lives in a basement apartment.

Anthony is the Steve Wozniak of LMG.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

njsykora posted:

I like that he pointed out that LMG is bigger than some of the PC parts companies they deal with at this point. Also man that loving WAN Show clip of Luke visibily irritated about the shirt while Linus rubs it in his face about how well the shirt sold.

That exchange made me feel genuinely bad for Luke. Dude's just trying to run a business (n.b. I know basically nothing about floatplane so I have no idea if he's any good at it) and next to him is Linus just making fun of his own audience and loving every step of the way.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

forest spirit posted:

Wait has the Linus Labs thing been releasing videos/reviews? I hadn't noticed. I don't really watch Linus much anymore.

Apparently what they have released is underwhelming?

As far as I know labs hasn't put out specific videos but they've mentioned in a couple reviews that the review has labs content or whatever. So far it's seemed either basically identical to what they did before, or a wall of numbers visible for 5 seconds with no explanation of what any of it actually means. So not really surprising.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

For even $50 I'd much rather have the GN screwdriver kit, which as a bonus seems to have been actually designed for a purpose rather than being somebody's pet project.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The special short handle for Linus-sized hands definitely indicates this as not solving Linus' specific problems in an incredibly expensive way.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Koskun posted:

Cable management also has an actual benefit in addition to looking tidy. Not having a waterfall of cables in front of a fan helps the air flow a lot better throughout the case. It can make it a bit of an annoyance if you ever have to replace something a cable is hooked up to (so, anything really), as you end up tracing and de-bundling cables. Always use velcro strips here, zip ties are the tool of the devil.

Hasn't this been tested and been shown to have negligible effect?

I long for when glass goes away as a design trend. Bring back mesh, or even acrylic, so I don't have to worry that a slight misstep will shatter the side of my case into a thousand shards.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Whitest Russian posted:

I want to get the GN mouse mat but a black one with a little GN logo in the corner. I've email their support twice and both times they said they have no plans for that. I might just suck it up and buy it anyways since it's the mouse pad size that I want.

I have the black and red one and the GN logo is pretty small and generally one of those "you have to know it's there to see it" things. It's also seriously a sweet mousemat.

Though I guess if you just want "no design" that doesn't help.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

How can this possibly cost $500 to repair??

And then he proceeds to spend probably several times that in having himself and his staff repair it (yeah yeah I'm sure they made it back in views but still).

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

"We did something dumb pointless and inadvisable with PC cooling" is unironcially the best LTT subgenre.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Jobs' infamous grudge-holding means he also very much might have responded to a specific tech person disliking an apple product by showing up on a competing channel to talk poo poo on the first one. I don't think it's likely but I'm also convinced it could have happened if the stars had aligned correctly.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Kerbtree posted:

After he shilled for a brexiteer

Wait what I missed this one. What was this?

e: lol

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

njsykora posted:

Steve has gotten this weird thing recently of pronouncing things wrong to provoke comments and I don't like it.

At least he finally determined the correct pronunciation of Evangelion.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

"We're cooling a PC in an incredibly stupid and ill-advised way" remains the best LTT content.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Cross-Section posted:

https://youtu.be/MDsJJRNXjYI

I’m sure there’s a hint of a cognizant argument in here but if it’s anything like when this came up on WAN Show (they have to pay for infrastructure maintenance guyssss) then lmao gently caress off Linus

It's basically exactly that yeah. I'll give him the bitrate vs. resolution thing, but everything else could basically be summarized as "services cost money" and... yes, that's true, but it's completely pointless to state that like it's a new revelation.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Remember, Linus is the man that bans his staff for using adblockers. I'm sure he legitimately believes this.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Llamadeus posted:

IIRC the patent is simply for putting the pump on top of the CPU, which happens to be the only really convenient place to put it

It's this yes. The other common design is in the radiator where it will be covered with a fan hub which looks goofy but works fine because it's not like you were getting airflow through there as it was.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I appreciate GN's clickbait thumbnails for almost always just letting you skip the video if you really wanted to because they're just a one-phrase summary of the conclusion. But I'm not gonna judge any youtube channel for playing the game so to speak.

I will judge Jay for his insane racist bullshit, though.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I'd be surprised if they didn't already have the thing in hand before announcing that.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

My favorite part of that one was "we can't get this poo poo to behave at all but it's okay we have a workaround we're going to use its homekit mode because that actually works anyway back to how cool our hacked up homeassistant setup is"

I get that he does this for all the sponsorship stuff but like, at what point do his family not start getting legit mad at him? That's two "basic functions of my house don't work" videos in less than a week.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It's not like the channel is "Business IT Departments Nexus", I don't know why it's a surprise he isn't exposed to those very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I thought Floatplane was so that Luke could remain friends with Linus without having to deal with Linus' insane business management practices :v: