Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Your boss sending you a video of his dong sounds like a legal circus on the face of it. However you say "hostile work environment" in Canadian.

Dennis got that assignment because he kept volunteering for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Oh come on, where's the real harm in playing with a jet engine as though it's a children's toy?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Man, my first inclination was to brush this off as Youtube drama but :suspense:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

I just watch this thread for the reports, but now you all got me on the edge of my seat.

This is a time where you absolutely should watch the video.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SourKraut posted:

I still don’t understand how people willingly watch the swill that is LTT

I'd been considering it edutainment until now.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Honestly, that bit all but confirmed it for me. Hard to say you're shocked when your wife IS HR. Whether or not the allegations are true, if any of this was reported at all he's already lying about them after having already been caught in multiple lies in the past few days.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Well it tracks with this.

I genuinely did not think they could be any dumber than putting content behind a paywall that would inevitably be taken out of context and plastered all over every site on the internet, but I can't wait to see them live.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Bondematt posted:

LMAO a 60/40 split on a audience that is paying you to be there.

Edit: Or is this on the general forums?

Nope, it's a Floatplane exclusive post.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Man next we're going to find out that the guy who ordered and was approved for a Linus body pillow didn't do it of his own volition.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Harlock posted:

Mr. CEO, one follow up question please: what was the purpose of the stripper joke at the end of the meeting I'll hang up and listen.

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1692498348924617098

Managing to say that they were shocked to see the allegations and confirming that the post-Madison meeting was real in the same breath is an impressive feat.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh I think we all definitely know by now that Linus A)can't read a room and B)can't keep his trap shut. I'm just waiting for something that's legally actionable to come out of his mouth before too long.

I'm just wondering if it's going to be before next Friday.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

In short
-Gamers Nexus does their first video
-Linus responds on the forums, defensive and warping the narrative
-Gamers Nexus responds in their news video and says ok we’re done
-Madison, former social media for LLT, posts her story of a toxic work environment and sexual harassment
-Hours later, LLT posts their “apology” video which is incredibly middling, including sponsor jokes, Linus continuing to be defensive, and so on. Does not address the Madison stuff, was filmed prior. They put a pause on video production for one week.
-Linus says he had no idea about the Madison stuff, shocked appalled, etc.
-An anonymous Reddit user reposts a recording from 6 months ago, it’s a recording of the internal meeting the entire company had after Madison left, where they go over harassment policies and such, suggesting Linus and management knew why she left and had to reiterate internal policies.
-Various LLT past and present employees continue to post short messages largely corroborating or supporting Madison’s posts.
-The WAN Show was cancelled, to the sadness of us all.

Minor detail: HR was LINUS'S WIFE. Regardless of whether the allegations are true, he's already lying about them.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think somewhere in there after Linus' initial response and before the Madison stuff, was when Billet Labs stated that their prototype was auctioned off and LMG initially offered to pay them for the replacement costs, then later contacted them saying went "oh wait we can totally get it back for you" (so they wouldn't have to pay them any money), along with claiming it totally definitely wasn't sold to any of their competitors. To which BL sensibly said "haha no, give us the money" because they weren't willing to waste any more time than they already have waiting for LMG to send it back to them. Oh, and also the video card that BL sent along for them to use in testing the waterblock somehow "mysteriously" managed to wind up in LMG's inventory.

Also, the offer to replace the prototype was insultingly low, as disclosed in the apology video.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Koskun posted:

I re-listened to the leaked audio from the meeting, Linus does say they have a "3rd party HR Firm". However does also say that him or Yvonne are to be talked with after manager and before HR in the chain. It's just sickening listening to how badly they don't understand much of anything.

It is sad that there won't be a WAN show tonight. To see him pile drive the last few nails in the coffin himself, Luke try and mental gymnastics his way out and into another job somewhere, while Dan just walks o

Oh, I'm sure there'll be one next week. My guess is there was a herculean effort to stop the show one time and they won't be able to do it a second.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Twitter thread from DBrand.
Of note:

Did DBrand just drop LTT as a sponsor? That's how I'm reading it, but it doesn't look like Reddit figured that out yet.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Reads to me like they're planning to wait and see, and just being edgy with the box of glass comment.

Oh the broken glass is standard DBrand, but putting a sponsorship on pause is a surprise.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Proving that SA happened years after the fact can be nearly impossible, but you know this.

Proving that the first words out of his mouth about the allegations were a lie is going to be trivially easy. It's about the most damning sentence he could have written. HR was his wife. It would have been nearly impossible for him not to have known. Why wasn't a 3rd party HR called in THEN?

If I can't believe the first sentence of what he said happened, how am I supposed to believe anything else?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

-a toxic "bro" culture with coworkers having zero idea of the concept of "boundaries"

Oh come on how are you going to prove that. You'd need a long, sustained pattern to prove it's not a one-off, probably backed up by thousands of hours of video footage available to the public.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

British Columbia section of the CBC is way more than local news. That might well have been above the fold if there hadn't been wildfires.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Man has it really been a week and a half since the last video and a full week of radio silence? I feel like there some kind of communication that I've been missing.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are they? They're only down 200k subs since this began, with a remaining subscriber base of 15.4 million. That's not fatal bleeding, that's an ouchie at best, perhaps only a boo boo.

I haven't heard anything about advertisers loving off beyond that one company that said something like "yeah this is weird we need to see what they do and will reevaluate in the future." From what I recall it was pretty standard exec speak for when someone starts @'ing you on twitter about how you're advertising with a monster.

Note that this is just Youtube, I have no idea wtf is going on in their private video streaming setup.

Floatplane may be a better indicator, their subscriber count is barely above 35k at this point, which is down about 800 since I last looked two days ago at most.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

grack posted:

They've lost nearly 7000 Floatplane subscribers so far. That's ~21k in monthly revenue

About 17% of their diehard fans in about a week and a half. Even with everyone at the lowest $5 tier that's about 35k per month. My guess is there are a fair number like me who haven't canceled yet to see Linus do something really stupid.
Yeah, there are diehards who are going to stay, but a lot of his base is already gone. Last week was a hell of a one-two punch.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol you're a floatplane subscriber?

Yes, but do I really deserve to be mocked for it? Yes, relentlessly.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

just cancel it, it'll get mirrored, don't give money to sex pests cmon

I'm not cancelling because it looks like I cancelled a few days ago. I guess that's why all the posts were locked.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

well.

im sorry. i think?

Nah, you were right. Apparently, I was thinking the same thing when I was thinking about uncanceling because I wanted to gawk at the trainwreck.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Randalor posted:

There is a non-zero chance that Linus wrote, shot the video and began uploading it before anyone actually thought to check the emails and they , but I won't give him the benefit of doubt there. I'm really hoping they're using this break to get their poo poo together, but I won't give them the views to find out.

After the number of lies he got publically caught in last week I'm really not inclined to give him benefit of the doubt anymore.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Ramalama posted:

Mainly a lurker on SA, but did anyone else notice that r/LinusTechTip mods removed the post from the dad who said his son committed suicide after Linus’ fanbase went after the kid for winning an auction for NCIX YouTube play button?

They said that they confirmed that it was a shitpost and that everyone is alive and well. As to whether that's the case, who knows.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's absolutely not a topic for a YT video, nor to be addressed publicly. I'm sure they're not doing so for legal/liability reasons, but if they did you just know some rabid fanbase assholes would go off on a crusade of targeted harassment against her.

A lot of Madison's tweets were about a toxic company culture, which were brushed off by Linus telling us that 80% of his employees told HR that they were happy. He doesn't seem to grasp that part of the situation at all.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Koskun posted:

If I remember right, the house had sat empty for a year or more, and was in the middle of a major remodel/renovation, then all work just stopped and the house went on the market. Most of the finish flooring wasn't there, a few rooms weren't finished or in a half-but-usable state. It also had some really tacky (by modern standards) treatments in a few rooms that really did need to go (their office was the worse). The biggest projects he did was the floor heating in the basement, and the pool, which the contractor left him high and dry (no pun intended), until he got to the point where he was threatening legal action. And no, it wasn't due to the water cooling pipes. That added a negligible cost to pouring the concrete for the pool.

I thought it was that he regrets how fast he went on the home automation, rather than waiting for items to actually mature. Example, all the switches he got, had the issue with the firmware (that the company addressed eventually), and now there's a newer better switch from someone that just works, but was a more advanced install. So he was either going to go back to just regular dumb switches, or pull everything out and use this new one.

A quick look, his upgrade video was posted 2 1/2 weeks ago.

RIP that man's ceiling.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Man they just can't not lie, even about the most easily disproven poo poo.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
It's been a month. How long would a third party investigation like the one with LTT normally take?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

K8.0 posted:

There's a ton of context that has to be assembled, you have to figure out who you need to talk to and what you need to ask them, you need to schedule interviews with them at their convenience, you probably need to touch back with them as you put more together and come up with more relevant details to discern. If it were already done it would be a non-credible investigation.

Ah, I don't really have a point of reference like this aside from the one into now Supreme Court justice Kavanaugh, which was...hoo boy they didn't even pretend that one was for real.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

grack posted:

Except for the nearly 8000 paid Floatplane subscribers

If they haven't come back by now, I don't think they're going to.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
No price is too high if it means I don't have to watch political ads for the 2024 cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

In addition, Floatplane subscriptions are back to falling. It looked like they had stabilized in the 34k range, but I think the latest "I broke my server due to plumbing negligence" knocked them down below 34k and they're still dropping.