Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kerbtree posted:

Is he the one with the bloody excellent moustache?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

K8.0 posted:

It's extremely likely that he is in fact a pedophile, and just not stupid enough to leave concrete proof sitting around for the FBI to acquire.

It's also quite likely that that very short story is not listing the entirety of the case against him.

I mean his twitter feed has no shortage of gross loving poo poo on it, so he isn't that smart.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Suburban dad with a YouTube channel about computers is the Marvel hero we've all been waiting for.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

well why not posted:

When you read Jay saying "trained a long time ago how to mentally prepare for the idea of defending myself" keep in mind the guy was like 180kg + for much of his life. I've unsubbed from him anyways, he's a talented case modder but that's it.

Linus is a goof but at least he's not a castle doctrine idiot. He's not wrong but the way that message is worded is just so off kilter.

Jay has always been a boomer lite type youtuber. If amazing builds are your jam, Declassified Systems is a pro click: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr1J-4O7J2oMhmn1aSVwCpQ

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Moo the cow posted:

The lack of awareness is just stunning.
Not least because whatever the issue they were trying to promote, I am now automatically opposed to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_IHSRPVqwQ&t=229s
Posted at the same time: however I was unable to watch beyond the stunningly ugly and poo poo case that someone is selling for $2,000 with a straight face.

That video has the overarching feel that they thought they were going to slam dunk the Mac Pro and by the end it was just like 'what the gently caress are we doing?'

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Jeff Bezos?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

K8.0 posted:

I instantly became completely deaf and also died from a brain hemmorhage

Thread title pls.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

going into Anthony's basement apartment filled with furry poo poo.

Please don't kinkshame.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

I've prepared a statement on this piece of A4 paper with an accompanying chart:

ahem my sincerest apologies

End statement.

You forgot the bit about buying a modmat?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

lttstore.com

*sips egregiously*

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Charles posted:

Oh no not some garbage old computer that was rotting in a warehouse broken anyway.

I love your ability to drop into threads with the dumbest takes like a developmentally challenged ninja.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

If you actually look at the merch you'll see that GamersNexus is on either the front or back of all the t-shirts/hoodies and on the modmat and mouse mat stuff.

Shut the gently caress up you sweaty gamer nerd and buy the drat shirt 🍗

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0JuW6x8lsw

Why do I feel someone already did this recently? I mean it's not exactly the most original idea to begin with.

I really want that case and always have since I was like 14.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Clint owns :love:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

spunkshui posted:

I’d be chill with it if they were a little more smoother made it a little more random but literally every time it’s like “guys were not doing a contest because that would be illegal but if you buy our limited run shirt...”

https://youtu.be/aS9OgLifVjQ

@22:40

He literally says buying a shirt in the hope of getting something more is a dumb reason for buying their shirts at the timestamp you've linked. :shrug:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I'm the video game posters in the bog

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I can only imagine his wife wakes up each day fighting off the question "where did my life go so wrong?"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The posts about how LMG is a poo poo place to work seem to have some extreme unwarranted projection attached to them.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
This looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWDPG8EROw

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Klyith posted:

so, he upgraded from a reasonably powerful invisible PC that should probably just have used underclocking to avoid throttle* into... a fire hazard that uses a PSU that expects active cooling with no case and no fan. doesn't seem like a great idea to me!

Water cooling has a decent lag between higher power use and higher temperatures, so even if he has all those fans set up to ramp speed when the PC is in use, unless he's got a temperature probe hooked to the PSU it's not good enough.

*pretty much any desktop CPU or GPU can trade 10-20% performance for a 50% power reduction

This is a whooooooole lot of design wank about having his flat bottom that is just really stupid. If you added 2 inches of thickness on the sides, in line with the legs, it would still look like a nice minimal table. And then you could fit some normal SFX gear into those areas, and some normal fans rather than the banks of 40mm ones and 1U water cooling. You could even still do water cooling by putting the PC on one side of the table, then have water lines go across to the other side which could be dedicated to fullsize pumps, rads, & fans.

Oh hell yeah, when he started hacking that PSU apart my balls crawled up into my abdomen.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Combat Pretzel posted:

Both Bitwit and his wife uploaded videos about their divorce poo poo on Youtube? Dear God in heaven, who cares (obviously some people do, given view counts)? People get divorced all the time.

They both loving suck and schadenfreude is a thing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the corona quid posted:

If Texas had open carry he could’ve just shot the snow before it ruined his home.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gradenko_2000 posted:

* in a professional setting, what would you even use for the remote access? good ol' Windows RDP?

An unlicensed copy of TeamViewer if one of my last places is anything to go by...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

lol is there anybody left who believes the poo poo these guys desperately try to justify their lovely benchmark with?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Would be a good time for Linus to do a new series of scrapyard wars in light of the current shortages, but I guess COVID kinda nixes it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Charles posted:

The base 10 is confusing to the consumer because when you go to plug in your brand new 10tb drive, it lists as 9.09tb

I guess maybe, but then your average consumer isn't taking apart their PC and installing new hard drives. Enthusiasts get itchy about this kind of thing but your average consumer works on the rule of thumb that bigger number = better. That does create some confusion in the case of say, cameras, where the yardstick of more megapixels = better doesn't necessarily hold true or TVs where not all 4K panels are created equal, but the people who will actually appreciate/notice the difference are likely already clued up on it anyway.

It's like when people get irrationally angry about my choosing Bose headphones. Ok, so they're not as good as an alternative, but I'm not playing lossless music over bluetooth and I'm partially deaf so it's lost on me.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

njsykora posted:

BBC4 sometimes has The Joy of Painting on late at night and it’s a very good thing to stumble across channel hopping at 2am.

It's usually on around 7-8pm too.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

njsykora posted:

Honestly, if you think the hot tub stream stuff is explicit I hope you never go to a pool or beach or outside during summer.

Duh, I'm watching Twitch, the gently caress am I gonna do outdoors?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Uh, aren't the corsair PSUs Seasonic OEMs? Wouldn't fill me with confidence that they're loving with the OEM spec tbh.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Klyith posted:

When Corsair first got into the PSU market they used Seasonic, for both the manufacturing and the design platform. IE they were basically the same Seasonic guts on the inside. But that hasn't been true for a looong time.

Corsair's high-end stuff (gold & up) now is their own designs, because they built their own R&D team with real EEs and poo poo for their PSUs. Which ofc they still contract out to a chinese factory, but they're not just taking the standard OEM platform and slapping a label on it. They have a lot of input on the process, and probably source the components as well.

So the fact that their PSUs don't have the same problem with power spikes is because it's a totally different design on the inside, and their protection circuit is doing some sort of smoothing or whatever.

And so who the OEM is really doesn't matter for them -- to the extent that it matters for anyone, which is TBQH not much. All these OEMs are capable of making a decent PSU. EVGA sources their PSUs from a zillion different OEMs and AFAIK uses the OEM design platforms*. Despite that they have mostly good PSUs because they spec good components, pay for good work, do QA, and watch to make sure no funny business happens.

Gigabyte OTOH did not do one or more of those things. The assembly quality on the exploding PSUs wasn't the problem so it's not like they chose some factory that didn't know how to make a PSU. But the components are crap. That means Gigabyte was either like "yeah whatever caps & mosfets are cheapest, use those", or else they were not paying attention and let the OEM use bad substitutes. And obviously they didn't do independent QA. That's real bad, and on units that they originally had tagged with prices equal to the other big 3 is a loving scam. Newegg may have been using them as GPU package filler, but Gigabyte was originally looking to score $$$ for cut-rate poo poo.

*which is why EVGA PSU models constantly change, and why their modular cables are incompatible with each other. whereas Corsair and Seasonic are like 99% compatible within their own brand.

Ah ok, cool, thanks for that, I didn't realise Corsair were now making their own PSUs! The last one I had I bought specifically because it was a Seasonic OEM design with the same pinout for custom cabling and I couldn't get hold of a Seasonic branded one at the time.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gradenko_2000 posted:

That isn't quite the worst thing to know about the 8 Bit Guy

https://twitter.com/RealTimeKodi/status/1309886976837980161?s=19

Nothing compares to his galaxy brained ramblings right after Sandy Hook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DudpW2cwuPs

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Warmachine posted:

LGR retro tech videos are my easy listening choices.

Clint knows it's the food videos that keep us subscribed.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Space Racist posted:

I’ve only used Gigabyte’s motherboards thus far, and my experience has always been that of solid hardware marred by subpar BIOSes.

With these PSUs, suddenly I’m doubting their hardware as well. I hope their PR department recognizes the long term reputational damage they’re incurring before they push back any further against GN et al.

Gigabyte have always made solid mid-tier boards imo. Before I started dropping shithead money on motherboards they were always my go to and I was never disappointed. Same with DFI but well, RIP.

After the 16MB ROM fiasco with MSI.... just lmao at ever buying their loving trash again at any price point.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Their monitors are decent at least. They tend to make smart choices to reduce cost without sacrificing functionality, making for some pretty solid mid-budget displays that are competitive with the high-end displays out there. As for everything else they make, I think I'd rather stay away unless they're selling me a graphics card at msrp.

Speaking of gigabyte monitors, good news:

Who makes the panel though?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
y'all are giving off very heavy 'ethics in video game journalism' vibes about people on youtube and should probably shut the gently caress up about it or at the very least watch something else.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
idk if it got posted yet, but jay's ability to make incredibly poo poo takes is really impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgPidlmMPfA

don't actually watch it because he's basically a facebook aunt, but the jist is 'programmers are lazy for using code libraries and should code everything from scratch' lol

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CoolCab posted:

oh i anticipate the daily-uploads strategy is in part in response to LTT and stuff and in part because it works. talking head videos where he more or less makes a forum post in front of a camera are cheap and people watch them, there's a reason that six out of his last ten videos follow the format. :shrug:

Yeah but he needs to realise that nobody wants daily videos that are such garbage and that his strength isn't in trying to compete with LTT. He makes some sick custom builds and used to do some very good educational videos about watercooling, but "Jay weighs in on poo poo he doesn't understand" followed by him getting caremad about YouTube comments calling it out is utterly dreadful and has me unsubscribing from his channel.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

njsykora posted:

Does this make Linus the guy in Best Buy who's way too overenthusiastic and irritates everyone but management thinks is hilarious?

That's my understanding of how he got started with NCIX

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

lol I tried watching a few YouTube videos through the native app recently and it was utterly loving infuriating how many ads were served during and between videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EngineerJoe posted:

I especially like the videos where he complains about his viewers not liking what he's posting.

Yeah he is way too thin skinned for YouTube. It's hilarious how obvious it is he read every drat comment on his videos.