Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait so Johnny five aces had a band called samurai, you can pick him as a hero, you have a jacket that says samurai, and you meet him at the dump

So, gently caress the "my personal hero is a freedom fighter / pragmatist / corp overlord" thing, does this mean you can start with ALTERNATE JACKET if you pick someone else!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Black hand / first big kill / ex lover

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Please put cyberblyat in the OP the only one I have in my history is some ultra low quality ripoff not the original

e: no I was wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvgb5a7vuLs

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I will kill him

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hey someone cut down the intro part of one of the vids where it's a panorama of the city for like 3 seconds
does anyone have this on hand I think I need it for a project ty

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Frankston posted:

I want to ride the motorcycle

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

frajaq posted:

you know what, I'll start

Did anyone figure out what the cold-blooded skill is?

my guess is being cyber-dark. Low informational heat signature.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol poles

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I'm gonna make a character that uses a pistol and a katana. I'm gonna slice, and shoot, people that stop me getting what I want, which is cool clothes.

i'm thinking whip & maybe shotgun

Mike the TV posted:

I'm going to reject all cybernetics and implants and be vastly underpowered and outclassed in every situation.

probably you could be a basic rear end hacker and have that carry you but I like zaodai said I think you start implanted and doubt you can go full luddite

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes. Read all of Gibson's work.

Neuromancer has some fun artifacts of the age too, like at one point there's a big deal about a !!!three megabyte!!! storage drive.

is neuromancer the one where the protag has a laptop with multiple OSs it can boot into based off of what he wants to do, and one of them is specifically for looking at .jpgs?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

chaosapiant posted:

Ah, the classic RobertsSpaceIndustries Operating System.

Def. He had another OS for playing games on (NOT ROBSOS) and one for surfing the internet iirc

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i don't think so

neuromancer is the one where the brain of one the protagonists hacker friends lives on a rom chip taped to the outside of his hacker-deck 9000 and he does all the actual hacking while the protagonist does a shitload of drugs and goes shopping for ninja stars

poo poo

wasn't it some other one then, like that went back and forth between characters and Turing was in it walking around in London and thinking about how the curbs were sharp like a square wave, and then thinking of ways you could map the city by taking a number of those square waves in different vectors or something?

I swear this is a real book that I read half of and I quit at the "multiple oses for ridiculous reasons" part.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Agnosticnixie posted:

Could it be Diamond Age? tbf "Turing was there" is apparently vague enough (there's even a whole south american cyberpunk novel called Turing) in the genre, which is fair.

I'm pretty sure it was set up so that the narrative would bounce between different eras and people, one of them was croberts with his oses and one was turing working on the enigma

e:

it was fuckin cryptonomicon. I used my cyber uplink to search enigma and look at where it was used in popular culture

e2:

"He also describes computers using a fictional operating system, Finux. The name is a thinly veiled reference to Linux, a kernel originally written by the Finnish native Linus Torvalds. Stephenson changed the name so as not to be creatively constrained by the technical details of Linux-based operating systems."

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 12, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
too slow bud, you need to get off the keyboard and onto 5D augmented reality posting

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yes. I am now posting via Finux. :pcgaming:
This is the optimal quality connection stack to Lowtax's cyber spine, where the forums are installed

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm not getting involved with the cyberdong or racial depiction debates because I have nothing interesting or constructive to add. If the game turns out to be an rear end in a top hat then I will be extremely disappointed.

Also I checked out the merch store and I wish they had something weird like one of those cyber-cans that I could use to put tea in or something, instead of just clothes. Maybe if the game takes off there will be more interesting cool poo poo showing up there.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rinkles posted:

Maybe I'm projecting, but anyone else feel the default protags look Polish/Slavic?

I do. Male V for sure does.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Vir seriously could be several slav guys I knew. Maybe it's the hair? Idk.
Val too but not as much.

these are the names that I made up just now for the different Vs and it's totally canon

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rinkles posted:

Yeah moreso the guy, but the gal too to an extent.

I think the dude registers stronger for me just cause he's had more face time in the vids. She was in the longplay but that's not the same as this most recent vid trying to avoid getting murdered by Dex.
They both have the look, but dude especially has the hair and maybe certain mannerisms? I knew more dudes and a lot less chicks too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Arglebargle III posted:

woah slow down there buster, what do polish people look like?

do they have huge cocks

Lets just say there's a reason the modern term is "pole" and not "polack" like it would be in polish.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Frankston posted:

Who else is excited to ride the motorcycle?

Can you melee on the motorcycle? If not they hosed up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Can we go back to talking about the nano whip and blades that come out of your arms like Adam Jensen please

Whip is obviously superior. You can prob stunlock enemies who could belt your rear end if you had blades

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Cyber psychosis

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mike the TV posted:

So the more implants you install, the crazier you get and the more Johnny Silverhands you see.

"Wake up samurai, we've got a city to burn" is absolutely psychotic as gently caress sounding unless you're in shogun times, is all I'm saying.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ufarn posted:

So, without getting into spoilers, don't you basically get to pick an idol during character creation where you can choose between three people: Good, Neutral, Evil, with Silverhand being on the Good end of the spectrum? That's how it used to be at least.

Meaning that you'd probably end up running into the two other folks - one way or another.

I thought the three heros were anticorp / neutral / corp

like the third guy is a "corporate god" right there on the selection screen. I will be interested to see if your hero pick changes your initial loadout. If you pick "corp god" or "solo of fortune" you maybe won't have the silverhand jacket we've seen so far.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I could easily see picking corp in character creation edging your rep far enough in the other direction to make early situations like the 45 minute demo play out differently.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

JBP posted:

I feel like picking a corp hero would have to mandate you start the game dressed in a cheap cybersuit with equally tacky shades.

same, it would have a heavy sony diskman type aesthetic instead of leather with those aircraft / mic style interconnects on the glowing collar.

Like if this fuckin thing were clothes. Maybe one of the earlier more audiophile looking versions.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, but in this setting corporations are 1,000% evil.

Just like real life. :ussr:

:hmmyes:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'd actually be really interesting if they cast actors for all three of these people, especially Morgan Blackhand (the Solo of Fortune). I don't think it's ever been stated what he actually looks like, because the dude is just so good at staying untraceable. The closest description to him is Mike Pondsmith commentating that he thinks Morgan would be an older white guy, the kind that can instantly blend in anywhere; even right after garroting some poor bastard in the middle of a street.

It'd be cool but i'd really be surprised if they did. It'd basically be making 3 main quests, wouldn't it? Seems like having the other guys actually show up would have a shitload of a difference on the story, unless they played it out right.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I really wish I could remember the name for this kind of connector. IIRC it was developed by like germans in the 50s or 20s or some poo poo. Used a lot for certain microphones or even soldering irons, but i've also seen it referred to as "aircraft" style, whatever that means. V's jacket has four of them, and they're all the peripheral side -- the energized "main" side would look like this:

Obviously you don't need to run power thru these necessarily, but if you did you wouldn't want the sockets on the jacket to be energized cause you could get some fuckin shell casing jammed in there or other idiot poo poo and get a short. I have seen them used reversed where the pins were hot for whatever dumbass reason, and probably they're used like that more often than not, they're not really like usb designed to be plugged whenever however so you can sort of assume that if the pins are hot it's not going to be a big deal cause the thing is already connected up or it's powered down.

There's also ten billion variations in number, layout, and size of pins, including sockets and plugs that are half male and half female. Really weirdo poo poo out there but I've only seen the more standard ones irl. I'm willing to bet that if it were real the jacket has some kind of backing plate behind those sockets, not that it's something that would ever come up, but without a strong anchor those things would rip right through the leather no problem. IMO if the jacket broke it would be a pain in the rear end to fix unless there's some sort of access pocket on the inside that lets you pull the guts out of the collar.

I wonder if those connectors have an actual use in the game or if it's just there to look cool (it's there to look cool). Any time I've seen them they tend to either be some homebrew poo poo or something that just needs a cheap reliable interconnection. For sure not the kind of thing i'd run in like fuckin combat simulations or whatever, that naked metal second pic I posted has like no strain relief for the cable itself.

Frankston posted:

So how about that motorcycle huh?

Can't wait to ride it. Hopefully customise it.

if I can't blast fools with a pipe or cyber katana while riding this thing then the game is failed.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Glenn Quebec posted:

I wonder how divergent the path will be if the anticorp/neutral/corp thing is true. As much as I love Keanu as the AI ghost of a kick-rear end punk rocker Merc, the idea of having the AI of a Japanese imperial militant born in the year 1909 is so outrageous, I kind of need to try it first.

I dunno. I'm thinking probably you always end up with john but maybe you really can get different guys showing up. I'd think that they'd probably demand the same missions in the same places, but the goals and flow of the missions would be different depending who you're running for, and they might be in a different order with different scenarios.

"Oh poo poo samurai the corpos are buying a fuckin virus take them out"
"our employees are going to secure a purchase, make sure nothing interrupts the transaction"

If it was straight up different missions that would be crazy as gently caress, i'd think that'd be more DLC than putting all that effort into the main game tbh.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

CharlestonJew posted:

maybe it'll be like a Vampire The Masquerade thing where Morgan is just some random dude you see sometimes and you don't realize who he really is until the very end

this would be fuckin' sweet

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pussy Cartel posted:

Morgan Blackhand isn't exactly invisible.

looks like your average no name dirtbag to me

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Kilometres Davis posted:

I suspect that whoever your childhood hero is you've still got head-keanu and the fact that he exists (as an AI ghost or whatever) is directly related to the "immortality chip" plot.

From the pnp lore synopsis someone earlier in the thread it seems Silverhand's demise was pretty involved with the other possible childhood heroes so its probably just some different dialogue about V and Jonny relate.

yeah but on the other hand the other two also could possibly have or be in the chip somehow, and if they are they're going to push their agendas. Weren't all 3 involved with silverhand getting vaped?

Glenn Quebec posted:

That makes more sense tbh. Probably all three AI communicate to you to give out missions.

some goon had the theory that you end up seeing whoever your hero is, not because it's actually them talking from the cyberbrain backup partition, but because it's actually some other actor (like a real hardcore AI or w/e) doing a song and dance to get you to work for their goals.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol I just fired one of those up and was watching it literally 45 seconds ago

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

frajaq posted:

Honestly disappointed we can't be a cyber-cop, specially considering the first ever teaser this game had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Yeah but that'd basically be a whole game into itself, and would really focus the scope of the narrative

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

gary oldmans diary posted:

That dude is the "quest director" and I gotta say I hope he isn't too good at his job. I liked it better in GTA: San Andreas when I could beat a mission at the last second with some desperation move than in Red Dead Redemption 2 where everything was scripted so tightly that I could achieve what I was verbally instructed to do, but not in the very specific way the script checked for and would accidentally fail the quest. Dammit, bringing a criminal back to the sheriff's office hogtied on my horse should be just as good or better than killing him, not a mission failure.

lol gently caress that's some bullshit

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Eraflure posted:

Are the wrist blades going to be a baseline body mod or can you go for a regular sword instead?

They showed V's gun room and she had empty sockets and mounts that were obviously katana shaped

Pyromancer posted:

Cyberpunk weeb uses a monowhip instead of katana and has a bulk discount on prosthetic limb replacement at local ripperdoc.

Whip is the future

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the burning cyber embers fall on my face but I don't even flinch

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's fluid classes but iirc the basic archetypes in this one are solo / hacker / uh engineer or w/e the last one is

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Strongly considering buying a computer for this. I haven't worked on or upgraded a comp since before 64 bit was real hardcore new era poo poo, so I feel like the process of building one will also seem cyberpunk as gently caress with extremely futuristic interconnects and solid state harddrives and poo poo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

seems like a good idea and the op has been recently edited so i'll def peruse

Hamelekim posted:

PC is going to be the best experience, period. At least if you have one that can run the game well. Raytracing isn't going to be on console, unless there is a remaster for next generation. Also higher resolution, textures and so on.

I'm thinking about hooking up my PC to my 4k oled to play this game.

lol poo poo I don't even think I have something good to play it on even if I build a new comp. I'd rather go with a TV and use a controller but I don't have a good tv at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol holy poo poo do they really still allow vista -> 10 upgrades?? Good thing I didn't format this old piece of poo poo comp I have, i'm going to try and socket in the hard drive from it and sneak my way to a modern os without paying. If it doesn't work I can just bite the bullet and buy 10 I guess.