Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

Please remind me in ten years' time to check in which second-rate Mexican or Japanese promotion the LU title ended up.
AAA is the safe bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Assuming it is dead for good, I hope that the LU creators at least release something explaining where they planned for the story to go in the next (final?) season - I just want some closure on this ridiculous Sci-Fi Telemundo Soap Opera.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1125917433477287936

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
How many wrestlers have they hosed over by dragging it out this long?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I hope they just had, like, four or so titles hanging around in a warehouse and Marty, among others who give half a poo poo, decided to grab 'em during the last couple years that nobody was looking.

Next Wrestlemania weekend: Joey Ryan's Penis Party Presents: Battle Royale For Joey's Gift Of The Gods :grin:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/411wrestling/status/1143967154238316546

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I think "legally 100% free with ads" is a fair price for the whole show

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1159310555204718599

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

But that's awesome, to be fair.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Absolutely. If anyone hasn't watched the whole way through, there's really no reason not to at this point. Show's dead and it's now entirely free to watch, you can complete the experience (good and bad of it) and not have to subscribe to, or pay, anything to do it

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

finally can rewatch penta vs joshis. season 3 never made it to Netflix afaik.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Watching past the first episode for the first time now (on King Cuerno’s debut), does the commentary ever get better, or should I just maintain expectations where they are?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It’s some of Matt Striker’s best work. It doesn’t mean it’s good.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The commentary never really gets much better, but it takes a few episodes for the show itself to really get its footing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw this bumped to the top of my bookmarks and was excited for a second

Yeah, RIP. Those first couple seasons were loving awe-inspiring. The Man of a Thousand Deaths Atop a Throne of Skulls is something not even the Renaissance could conceive of.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Watching past the first episode for the first time now (on King Cuerno’s debut), does the commentary ever get better, or should I just maintain expectations where they are?

He gets decent towards the end of the first season but it's all downhill after that

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

It really depends what you don't like about it. They get less creepy as time goes on. If you don't like it because he's just a weird fourth-wall-breaking nerd, well, that's just Matt Striker.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The WMD match was either the best or worst called match depending on your tastes. I never thought that Striker was *that* bad but that match, my god everything that came out of his mouth was some war-reference.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

The WMD match was either the best or worst called match depending on your tastes. I never thought that Striker was *that* bad but that match, my god everything that came out of his mouth was some war-reference.

It's really unfortunate that Striker's dogshit commentary overshadowed what was probably the best match of that entire season.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really like his commentary style, personally but I 100% get why someone else might not. I think the closer you keep him to play-by-play, the better he is, but his role really expanded because Vampiro is, well... Vampiro.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It really depends what you don't like about it. They get less creepy as time goes on. If you don't like it because he's just a weird fourth-wall-breaking nerd, well, that's just Matt Striker.

The creepiness is a significant part of it, so that’s something to look forward to. The other piece I don’t really care for is how often it sounds like they’re recording a commercial for the show rather than commentary for the people who are obviously currently watching.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The creepiness is a significant part of it, so that’s something to look forward to. The other piece I don’t really care for is how often it sounds like they’re recording a commercial for the show rather than commentary for the people who are obviously currently watching.

That also subsides. Part of it was trying to promote El Rey and part of it was committing to the fiction of being a come-one-come-all illegal fighting ring.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If you're wondering whether Vampiro stops sounding like he's edging every time a man beats up a woman then ... no, the commentary doesn't get better.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bad commentary, bad camerawork during the matches, its kinda all kinda poo poo but the pretapes are usually insanely well done.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
At least LU had enough production to not let Vamp's headset pick up his farts.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Started season 3 through this and just wanted to voice my appreciation for "One giant key."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still think the sudden giant gap in the middle of season 3 was what really killed my interest in the show. They were building to the All Night Long match between Johnny Mundo and.... I forget, actually... but they were building up to it and then suddenly a few months go by with nothing and then suddenly we were right back in the middle of it and the momentum was just dead.

Then they made the bizarre decision to "kill" Dario, keep his actor but make him wear a wig and a bunch of prosthetics and have a terrible voice and I just lost all interest :sigh:

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I still think the sudden giant gap in the middle of season 3 was what really killed my interest in the show. They were building to the All Night Long match between Johnny Mundo and.... I forget, actually... but they were building up to it and then suddenly a few months go by with nothing and then suddenly we were right back in the middle of it and the momentum was just dead.

Then they made the bizarre decision to "kill" Dario, keep his actor but make him wear a wig and a bunch of prosthetics and have a terrible voice and I just lost all interest :sigh:

I 100% believe that the split in season 3 killed interest in the show for almost everyone, and LU never recovered.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Jerusalem posted:

it was Johnny vs willie mack, right? I want to say Johnny took the belt off of sexy star via heeeeeeeeeeel poo poo and Willie was aligned with her and wanted to kick his rear end.

EDIT: I should say that match whooped rear end and willie mack owns but there wasn't much to do there.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Martinpale posted:

I 100% believe that the split in season 3 killed interest in the show for almost everyone, and LU never recovered.

That was definitely where we lost interest. I know online people seemed to hate putting the belt on Sexy Star, but I was less a fan of the fact that they didn't give her any sort of title run and just used it as heat for Johnny's run.

I think the real downfall was Ultima Lucha Dos though. Pentagon should have gotten the title there and not had to chase for a whole season more that culminated in him winning the title in a way that undermined him winning the belt.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So where can I see Rey Horus anymore?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So where can I see Rey Horus anymore?

MLW and PWG

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I was at the Mack vs Mundo all night long taping and the match was pretty good and had some decent heat but man after the super long wait torally killed the anticipation. I was bummed too because had they not had the break the match would have been more memorable.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I feel I should ask if there is a point in s3 or s4 where I should just stop for my own happiness.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

At least watch up through Hell of War in Ultima Lucha Tres. That match is insane and a legit MOTY choice. If you cut it off anywhere, that's a good spot to cut.

That said, S4, as bad as it is in a lot of ways, still has some great wrestling. Daga comes back, Sammy Guevara shows up, there's a fun and stupid gimmick match with Matanza and Mundo, Famous B steals the show again. S4 is unquestionably the worst season of the show but the stuff in the ring is still frequently good. It's just the plotlines, characters, production value etc. that goes down the toilet.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

At least watch up through Hell of War in Ultima Lucha Tres. That match is insane and a legit MOTY choice. If you cut it off anywhere, that's a good spot to cut.

That said, S4, as bad as it is in a lot of ways, still has some great wrestling. Daga comes back, Sammy Guevara shows up, there's a fun and stupid gimmick match with Matanza and Mundo, Famous B steals the show again. S4 is unquestionably the worst season of the show but the stuff in the ring is still frequently good. It's just the plotlines, characters, production value etc. that goes down the toilet.

I love the Hell of War match...it's one of the few matches i've seen that made me feel something, deep inside myself somewhere, even if that feeling was legitimate concern for both Killshot and Fox as people and performers. There were points where I was sitting there just saying to myself "stop...just stop, guys." It's "Ibushi hating his own neck" level of stuff at times.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's one of those "I don't even like deathmatches but..." kind of matches. Just insane.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I will never forget the chunk of flesh hanging off of Fox's back

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Pretty much

Honestly, now that it's entirely available for free, and it's a dead company, I can't really recommend not powering through. If nothing else than for the full experience

May not be as satisfying as Wrestling Society X by the end, but at least you'd reach the end

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Season 4 had Johnny Mundo and Taya invading a lizard temple while dressed as Indiana Jones and Marion and cutting off a lizard man's head and it's not even the weirdest part of the season.

Even at its worst, S4 is still worth watching just so I can type sentences like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Benne posted:

Season 4 had Johnny Mundo and Taya invading a lizard temple while dressed as Indiana Jones and Marion and cutting off a lizard man's head and it's not even the weirdest part of the season.

None of that would have happened if Vibora had a jungle savage hanging out with him.