Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah they're pulling another Bloodborn kick to the balls by introducing three separate forms of evasion you must know how to be aware of or the first mid boss will specifically gently caress you over just for dodge rolling apparently. Get ready for rage videos all about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Crabtree posted:

Yeah they're pulling another Bloodborn kick to the balls by introducing three separate forms of evasion you must know how to be aware of or the first mid boss will specifically gently caress you over just for dodge rolling apparently. Get ready for rage videos all about that.

If so it'll be entirely their fault because unlike Souls games Sekiro has a fleshed out tutorial. That said I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to beat the game without parrying, it'll just be tedious as gently caress. It'll probably be a popular challenge run.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 20, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

uber_stoat posted:

none of these games are that hard, really, once you put in some time. there's this twitch guy I watch when I am bored who has apparently made it his life's work to play through all the soulsborne games in a row without getting hit once. and he does it, over and over. it's a purgatorial task and I question his sanity but he does it.

LMAO

brand new form of mindblind posting right here

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I beat Bloodborne using a Super Scope.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The only way to beat Sekiro will be to not play.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Way ahead of you, I've been not playing Sekiro since it was announced.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I've actually used my superior logic skills to envision the entirety of Sekiro and I can assure you that the game was no match for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pwnstar posted:

I've actually used my superior logic skills to envision the entirety of Sekiro and I can assure you that the game was no match for me.

lmao

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Everything I read about stealth and traversal reminds me more of Dishonored than anything else, and skulking along rooftops and dropping down on unsuspecting guards has never not been fun.

Given how stealth games usually have pretty sub-par combat when you get caught this is kinda exciting :3:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

I don't have to dive like an olympic diver, I just have to get to the other end of the pool.

swimming is hard if youve never been underwater

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

The real way to play Sekiro is not by looking at the screen, but the glinting reflection of your katana.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Expect My Mom posted:

I stop reading every time someone here says "none of these games are really like that hard" like motherfucker you've played five of these games

Perhaps if expanded: Souls, as a series, is probably more difficult than most modern games but the difficulty lessens as you get accustomed to it. There is some downright bullshit, like any game, but the bullshit content is fairly low. This is not to say that it can't be challenging, or extremely difficult at points, but the internet picture painted of the games as some sort of crucible are wrong. The "Dark Souls is so easy" meme is just as incorrect as the "Dark Souls is so hard" meme and they're equally repeated. This will likely apply to Sekiro as well, if not in the same exact way.

Now go play Dark Souls while you wait for Sekiro.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sekiro is guaranteed to be harder than dark souls because you cant let your friends beat the game for you with coop

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hate people so beat all the games solo

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Man Bloodborne's midgame twist was so great Im hoping Sekiro does something similar.

The what was what now? Insight ++++

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
The team has probably changed a lot since then, but I remember Kuon following the "conventional" way of storytelling in videogames (cutscenes, journals, character dialogue) and still being utterly unconventional as well (unreliable narrators, scrambled timeline, certain things we were seeing were merely metaphors, etc) so I feel fromsoft will probably always shoot for the unthreaded path.

I also liked Kuon a lot for nailing Japanese horror really well (even if the gameplay suuuuucked), so I'm super excited for sekiro.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

It is hard to objectively talk about difficulty. Some people breeze through these games, others have given up after trying one for a bit and feeling it is just too much for them. I find them the right kind of challenging. And that doesn't mean they don't occasionally annoy me as something ruins my poo poo in them. But I just put the game away for a bit and come back to it a bit later.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
*checks Sekiro thread*. Nice, 60 new posts! Goddamnit, it’s all what’s the deal with spoilers and well actually From games are easy.

:negative:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've been playing DMC5 a lot and practicing with ROYAL GUARD so Sekiro will be a cakewalk for a high IQ player like me

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

uber_stoat posted:

none of these games are that hard, really, once you put in some time. there's this twitch guy I watch when I am bored who has apparently made it his life's work to play through all the soulsborne games in a row without getting hit once. and he does it, over and over. it's a purgatorial task and I question his sanity but he does it.

I don't think he'll ever do it in his current mind set. Three games in if he doesn't have Bloodborne or Demon's Souls beat he'll lose to that which is why he always does Bloodborne first or second now. Which means he has tons of practice with it and now dies to the other games playing like he's still playing Bloodborne or DS. It's a vicious cycle.

This is why I think people will struggle with Sekiro until they stop playing it like they're playing a Dark Souls game. Gonna have to re-program 7 years of the same control scheme and animation timings and whatnot.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 20, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's honestly pretty funny that the only argument for not giving a poo poo about spoilers is basically "look, i lack basic human empathy and as a result everyone can just suck an egg"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

why does anyone brag about getting Platinum in these games it just means you have too much time and love reading wikis

getting the plat is a Big Gamer Moment... you just wouldn't understand :rolleyes:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Is the 2B mod for this out yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Activate self-destruct arm attachment. *blows pants off*

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
While we were all arguing spoilers, you studied the blade.

I'm hopeful there's more Bushido Blade and less Souls in this one. A deep combat system will make playing (and rererereplaying) the game fun. Bloated health bars... not so much.

Also jesus christ it's ok to care or not care about spoilers. No one is posting them and you already know not to click on links. You'll find out at your own pace that the true last boss is Solaire and he gives you the Moonlight Greatkatana if you've found all the crystal otaku statues.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mailer posted:

While we were all arguing spoilers, you studied the blade.

I'm hopeful there's more Bushido Blade and less Souls in this one. A deep combat system will make playing (and rererereplaying) the game fun. Bloated health bars... not so much.

Also jesus christ it's ok to care or not care about spoilers. No one is posting them and you already know not to click on links. You'll find out at your own pace that the true last boss is Solaire and he gives you the Moonlight Greatkatana if you've found all the crystal otaku statues.

if it anything like other games there's always going to be at least one overexcited dork who will rush into the thread and post unmarked spoilers about the final boss as soon as they reach it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
gimme the one piece zoro mod

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FallenGod posted:

I'm trying to imagine the kind of person who would watch a stream of this game instead of going in blind, but the concept is just too alien to me.

one of the funnier things about dark souls 3 was namco had a bunch of biggish streamers show the game ahead of time and obnoxious dota 2 professional singsing got stuck between dancer (because he killed the lady) and abyss watchers for what must have been six-plus hours.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

yeah but he could just have...not fought dancer

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CharlestonJew posted:

I've been playing DMC5 a lot and practicing with ROYAL GUARD so Sekiro will be a cakewalk for a high IQ player like me

Yeah, I've been quietly holding on to the hope that I will be good at this game based on being way better at DMC and Ninja Gaiden than I am at Souls games. :pray:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Turns out that later in the game you get a Tanegashima and the game turns into a cover based shooter.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Pwnstar posted:

Turns out that later in the game you get a Tanegashima and the game turns into a cover based shooter.

Theres a rare bow in Nioh that gives you unlimited arrows.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A Sometimes Food posted:

"I've watched a whole lot of comedies. I feel like I'm done with humour now."

It's not like that. To me, it's more along the lines of "Robin Williams Live On Broadway 2002 is a classic stand-up, but man this is like the hundredth time I've watched it... oh, the gorilla bit, the sweaty bit, the hairy arms bit, the Margaret Thatcher bit, got it... I wonder if Tom Segura has a new stand-up on Netflix yet?"

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

enojy posted:

It's not like that. To me, it's more along the lines of "Robin Williams Live On Broadway 2002 is a classic stand-up, but man this is like the hundredth time I've watched it... oh, the gorilla bit, the sweaty bit, the hairy arms bit, the Margaret Thatcher bit, got it... I wonder if Tom Segura has a new stand-up on Netflix yet?"

It's more like, and I'll stick with comedy here, "I've already seen Eddie Murphy Raw, I don't need to see anymore of his comedy so I'm going to pass on Delirious."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's more like, and I'll stick with comedy here, "I've already seen Eddie Murphy Raw, I don't need to see anymore of his comedy so I'm going to pass on Delirious."

For the best I would say

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

JBP posted:

For the best I would say

Bad opinion.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
My favorite memory of DS3 was finding Irythil locked by magic and then clearing the entirety of the Demon King and Lost Izalith ruins before wondering what I did wrong and finally finding the Crystal Sage boss and the Cathedral.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Look Sir Droids posted:

Unacceptable! I specifically chose Robin Williams Live On Broadway 2002 because it was great for its time, but not a classic. Too heavy on the shtick, too much topical humor, didn't age well. Feels almost like a Gallagher special these days. Raw is timeless and one of the all-time greats. Then again, I'd say that about Dark Souls 1, so I'm not really supporting my case very well here.

Like... imagine if Eddie Murphy had made three specials between Delirious and Raw, except those three were just him wearing different-colored leather suits and rehashing half of the bits from Delirious... and you watched them all hundreds of times because you couldn't get enough. Then he announces Raw, and you're like "please don't do the Bill Cosby bit in this one"

Edit: Bill Cosby bit is in fact from Raw, not Delirious. Quit it with the comedy quizzes

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Friday is my Monday. :negative: