Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

GA is cool because you can just thrust him good with spear

that fight probably has the biggest drop in difficulty of all the bosses just from knowing its patterns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

keyframe posted:

ah, no haven't found the firecrackers, I will search it more thoroughly. Are they in the area directly before the boss where the guy crying about his horse you can eavesdrop is?

earlier, a guy in a tent on a highrise covered in crows near the first miniboss sells them

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JBP posted:

Yeah it's safe mitigation plus a super strong attack, really useful.

the attack has a lot of end lag though so its pretty dangerous to use carelessly

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess that's why it's harder because I hardly ever use the block button in games lol

same but that makes it so much more satisfying when that red dot appears on an enemy u havent even swung at

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
armor guy rules

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its totally logical in the game where u kill enemies by letting them try to hit u, that theres a miniboss u cannot damage

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I might be done with Sekiro. I'll probably give it a few more tries but owl 2 is really not fun, he's everything about the fights in sekiro that I hate.

I wish I fought him in my regular game, in NG+ he has a shitload of HP you have to eat through before you can posture break him, and that's just the first form

ya i did DoH and the boss ur talking about in playthrough 1 and have no plans to ever fight them again

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

what pissed me off about armored warrior is i didn't know he'd fall through the walls on his own on a deathblow. i thought i had to bait him into breaking an area before he'd fall off. woulda taken him down a lot quicker had i known that.

even though it's not the biggest deal i wish fromsoft would stop having instant death status effects. curse shoulda turned you into a temporary stone statue where enemies could hit you and maybe terror freezes you? i lost a couple of headless attempts at the very end because of a final terror build up and it's kinda lame.

i think its cool....like a health bar that kills when it fills up instead of emptying

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HaB posted:

Banjo Lady down. Tips for Corrupted Monk? I can’t seem to do poo poo to the Posture bar and damage wise I am barely tickling.

My attack power is 5 for the record.

try firecrackers, fistfuls of ash and snap seeds

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
how come the hirata memory starts with “three years ago” but it seems like it happened maybe a month ago

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
like all the dialogue says it was three years ago but this is when sekiro got the dragons blood??? has he been sitting in that well in the reservoir for three years??????

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
furthermore: kuro does NOT look three years older. but i suppose dragon blood might affect ones rate of aging

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Nah man. Its implied that Ashina soldiers placed Kuro under house arrest because he refused to help Genichiro and threw Sekiro in the well.

The Hirata estate invasion was a seemingly unrelated incident by a rogue shinobi and a band of bandits

none of this adds up

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Eraflure posted:

Firecracker boss can be beaten either with very aggressive dodging or posture damage. He almost never stops attacking, so the posture damage you inflict will mostly stick. It's a very fun and perfectly fair battle of endurance if you play it straight like a beefed-up Genichiro and probably my favourite boss in the game. The firecrackers are part of a combo which starts with a specific tell and you can consistently dodge them. The easiest way to avoid damage is to jump backwards. Mid-air deflection might help with the following slash, and you should have time to mikiri the thrust if he goes for that. This leaves you in a position where you can punish the boss a bit and keep the posture damage going.

If you're going for the dodging strat, the boss' regular swipes often have dead angles that let you sprint behind its back. This turns the boss into a Bloodborne-ish fight and it will most likely end up being a vitality kill.

the firecrackers are most easily avoided by putting them behind u imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

dyzzy posted:

Post intro cutscene: Ashina's doing great, Isshin is carving fools up. Hirata is/becomes a part of their state. Kuro is staying with them in order to keep the Dragon's Heritage a secret from outside agents. Sekiro becomes a shinobi and Owl places him as Kuro's protector. Owl is presumably aligning himself with Isshin and the nightjar here.

3 years ago: Hirata sends its men to help Isshin in battle. Owl and his shinobi pals, who have been collaborating with the interior ministry, allow the estate to be ransacked by bandits as a cover for Kuro's kidnapping. This goes awry when Sekiro returns from... ??? a bogus mission from Owl? And saves Kuro from Lady Butterfly. He's betrayed, Kuro decides to shackle him with the heritage, somehow Kuro escapes and is picked up by Genichiro and moved to Ashina proper. Sekiro, and the rest of the Hirata clan are disgraced. The interior continues to slowly win back territory from Ashina, and so Genichiro is increasingly desperate to use Kuro to turn the tide.

That's my take, at least. Definitely a lot of gaps where anything could have happened

hmm maybe sekiro has been stewing in misery since that night and isshin has been slowly working to get him and kuro back together for three years.....still doesnt mmake sense to me though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Bought this game a few days ago and enjoying it a lot! Went in almost completely blind, only saw the initial trailer once, and it's refreshing!

It might be my favorite of the sorta-Souls games due to its verticality and movement. Still waiting to eat poo poo and get stuck on something, because I don't think I'm that good at parrying, and so far just sorta bullshit my way through the game. Throwing ash and firecrackers at minibosses, running in to kill one enemy from the crowd and then running away until crowd forgets me, all that... The closest thing to a wall was the bull, but he can't attack with his rear end, so aside from him taking barely any damage, he was pretty easy.

Went here because I decided to read the OP for some info, and I guess I wouldn't mind some slight hints about Dragonrot. Advice mentions NOT healing it unless absolutely nessessary, but what does that mean? I'm too afraid of my NPCs dying, and even though they've only gotten it two times, I healed them both times. Should I wait sometime after they start coughing? Emma wanted some research, sure, but I couldn't pick up any samples from most of them, so I decided not to risk it.

Also, I'm guessing I saw the reason why OP mentions fear of worms, but what about spiders? I don't have that much issues with faster-paced games, but holy poo poo the big ones in Bloodborne were freaky as gently caress, and I feel like I'd rather mentally prepare myself if there are any.

dragonrot cant kill npcs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Oh well then gently caress this healing bullshit for now. Everyone can rot as I'm hoarding my resources for the day which might never come

if u want to talk to an npc, but theyre coughing, well thats when to cure them.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I hope this isn't too :can: but I don't really see what the point of the resurrection mechanic is. Other than the occasional advantage you can get from letting an enemy walk off, it seems like a pretty long winded way of adding 30% to the health bar.

try playing a dark souls game or bloodborne after getting used to it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

can someone give me tips about demon of hatred

dont ever stand in front of him

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
why isnt the blood splatter technology in this game as juicy as bloodborne.....i should get shiny blood splatter all over me after a good farming run

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

The Sacred Flame's Living Force buff would be kind of a cool thing if it didn't last less than half as long as Divine Confetti and/or you could acquire it before you have the ability to buy infinite Confetti

It's just... it's bad, Tim

But yeah, the normal flame rules, and if the game was more of an RPG it's what I would have "specced" toward

in prerelease footage it looked like it lasted until u plunged ur sword into an enemy with a deathblow, which is cool

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Popular Human posted:

Need to get a little direction on where to go. I re-met my friend the giant snake and found some bloody chunks that look like fruit. Then I killed the SON OF A BITCH ZOMBIE APE, seriously gently caress that fight expecting to find the path to the next area, but all there was past the fog gate was a flower.

Where do I go from here?

back to kuro

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Popular Human posted:

I did. I still need to find a "stone" and he went on a bit about a special tree behind the castle. Is that where I want to go?

hm.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

to put it another way, if the flame were some guy named King F. Lame, if I usurped him it's not like he's going to be hanging around taking part in courtly affairs

good analogy imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dzhay posted:

More "am I being dumb?" questions:

Context: I got the stone from Mibu, now the castle's under attack and my dad is both alive and evil.

Is there something else I should be doing in that suspiciously large room where I found the stone? Going into the palanquin does nothing.

These ninjas in the castle will go away, right? I should kill all the named ones before the boss.

Black hat whats-his-face has been saying he's heading back to Ashina castle for a while now, but he's still hanging out in the same cave in Senpou.

I found some slugs that something apparently finds tasty, should it be clear what to do with these? I'm guessing "snake", but the only one that's still alive is the poision valley cave one, and I can't seem to do anything with that.

I still haven't found an infinite source of confetti, which is a problem, as I keep finding Headlesses and those purple skull throwing guys. Should I have yet?

dont worry about any of this.....but yes kill all named enemies

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just got the plat trophy and the timeline of this game still makes no sense to me.....wtf were sekiro and kuro doing for the last three years, just sitting around? i need an explanation of what happened between hirata and the games opening

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh for those struggling, if I could make one more suggestion that changed everything about this game and made fights TONS easier: turn off the music. That music drove my nerves insane. Yes it’s good, but not after time 1000. Once I did this, Genichiro was a quiet and nearly meditative slow dance towards his death.

wrong....play circus music louder than the game, instead.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
any% is about 20 min

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Speedrunners are cowards got it.

all bosses is at 2 hours

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

This video for owl suggests just running in and out and getting two hits in with certain attacks. It makes it look too easy:

https://youtu.be/P77E3oWAiyc

I hate these videos because all they do is make me realize how old and slow I am with a controller.

this is a pathetic way to fight

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this moron, act 1

deep dish peat moss posted:

Game seems good but I refunded it because I can tell it's not my kinda game :shrug: There's a certain deliberate approach and ability to recover from mistakes that I like about Souls games that I wasn't seeing in the first 2 hours (What I mean is I guess that Souls games punish you for making mistakes several times throughout an extended battle vs. Sekiro which seems more about making a single mistake or maybe two ending a short battle - it's about perfection rather than adaptation), also I'm not a fan of stealth games and I understood this was a kind-of-forced stealth game going into it but combined with the other thing I wasn't enjoying myself.

Not to dissuade anyone else from buying it especially because refunds are a thing but in case anyone else was in the same boat as me and wanted to hear an opinion. I'll pick it up on sale for $20 at some point and give it another try

act 2

I approached combat in this game exactly like I do in Souls (literally just hold block while walking backwards and then counterattacking after blocking/walking out of range of an attack) and found roughly the same level of challenge that I did throughout the Souls series. I only hated this game at first when I listened to everyone who was saying not to approach it like Souls.

The Souls-style shield turtle combat is actually even easier in Sekiro than in Souls because you have a 100% block 100% aptitude shield right off the bat, blocking restores your posture/stamina faster, and also there's not a single enemy in the game that will follow up with an attack after breaking your posture

Also Deflecting in Sekiro is 10x easier than Parrying in Souls because in Sekiro it's a thing that you do while blocking.

Edit: In retrospect I found Sekiro easier than any Souls game (I never played Bloodborne) because of all of the above plus the massive number of tools it gives you to 1-shot delete enemies or hide for a bit so they ignore your presence and turn around for a backstab and the enormous amount of gap closers allowing me to stay out of range of enemy attacks and still counterattack. It was a bigger challenge as far as navigating/finding treasure goes and that's rad as hell and the part of Souls I liked most.

Sekiro almost feels like Megaman. There's a tool to cheese every situation (also Cyclone Slash which cheeses every situation) and the difference between using them vs the mega buster is the difference between a tough game and a gentle one.

act 3

On my first playthrough I used this strategy against every single boss from the moment I unlocked Whirlwind Slash - it works on every boss in the game and the only one that gives it a run for its money is ISS. I one-shot most bosses including some that people struggle with a lot :shrug:

Pro tip though - instead of running away, do sidestep jumps to rotate around the boss. It's more active, faster, and just as safe. The basic jist of the strat isn't running away, it's that Whirlwind Slash is hilariously broken and can outrange and zone every single boss attack in the entire game, so you just hop around their peripheral stinging like a wasp, damaging them through their blocks, interrupting any attack that's not super armor and generally not needing to do anything at all except alternate your WW Slash and Jump buttons

There's never a point during any fight in this game where you're in danger unless you put yourself in danger, and there's never any incentive to put yourself in danger, which is actually kind of funny and makes it by far the easiest soulsborne title

epilogue

Okay here's the thing about difficulty in the Souls series: you can either play these games relying on shields or not. If you rely on blocking with big shields then all 3 games are actually hilariously easy because across the entire series there are maybe a grand total of 5 or 6 enemy attacks that can hurt you. If you choose not to use shields, - get this - they're still the easiest Character Action games on the market.

The difficulty comes 100% from (usually glacially paced) pattern recognition and it punishes you for not recognizing patterns but there are absurdly few cases where the game doesn't start telegraphing the next pattern while you're still a mile away.

So for someone to say they're bad games because they're "too hard" tells us two things about that person:
1) Equipping a shield and holding down L1 is a MLG tactic that's far beyond their casual comprehension
and
2) They have an unevolved brain that doesn't quite grasp the fact that the boss is using 3 different moves over and over.

I can't wait to dunk on samurai demons the same way I just dunked on this chump.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im not usually going to slap at a guy for using pathetic loser strats to beat a game.......but if all ur posts are page long essays about how u are a gaming genius, well, u gotta pick thd low hanging fruit.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
maybe ur brain is underdeveloped :shrug: guess thats why u couldnt figure out my tried and true strategy of taking ten minutes to beat every boss because im terrified of taking damage and maybd dying :shrug:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So what all should I finish up before I head to the Fountain Head Palace? I've got the fresh and dried serpent hearts, a taro persimmon, some rice and red carp eyeballs.

everything, all sidequests conclude after that zone

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm telling y'all that this ain't true. I did owldaddad, DoH, GreatKarp, etc all after beating the boss in Fountainhead. And I think Serpent can even be killed after, as well.

u can beat the bosses u unlock after beating fountainhead, but u cant unlock them if u havent already. doh and carp and snake have no requirements at all but the reward from snake needs to be used before beating fountainhead

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
floating cloud passage is my favorite combat art, it tears up enemy posture if dudes try to block it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
every combat art is very cool and fun as hell but most of them require ultra instinct to use well

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
puck rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gort posted:

I'm not sure I could go back to the souls games now that I've been freed from the tyranny of the all-powerful stamina bar.

on the contrary, thats what keeps me returning to sekiro