Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
can someone spoiler me on if there are lots of disgusting insect-inspired monsters in this? i really hate worms and centipedes and stuff. I can handle spiders and snakes though. i know im a coward :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

goferchan posted:

Yeah there are people infested with centipedes
gahhh like lots of them???

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
are there tons of centipedes and worms in this game?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

World War Mammories posted:

well, I mean, there are plenty of places with none, at least as far as I've gotten... but there's a good chunk, yeah
so are they avoidable or no?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Bust Rodd posted:

Don’t be scared of bugs in video games, it can’t hurt you bb
:barf:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Cardiovorax posted:

You totally can and I'd post pictures for comparison, but given the subject of the conversation, I think it wouldn't be in the best of taste.
pls dont lol

sorry 4 derail

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

no, they are not, and if you have a serious mental block over it then this game might not be worth it

if it helps any, I loving loathe centipedes in reality more than any other creepy crawly, but they don't bother me here. it helps when they're so big that it doesn't set off my brain's OH gently caress A CENTIPEDE alarm, and also that, you know, you get to eviscerate them

thebardyspoon posted:

If you really don't like centipedes and their gross, gross bodies then I would suggest you avoid this game.
gently caress it im thinking ill just get it cause i want the spooky samurai atmosphere and the sword fighting looks sick from what ive seen. ill just power through my intense phobia i guess. although i was thinking of getting dark souls 2 first cause ive never played it

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is there supposed to be something important in the structure behind seven spears?

e: i killed the longswordsman and seven spears, i guess all that gets me is prayer beads and a back entrance to the abandoned dungeon?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

oh, hey, aren't you the dude worried about centipedes? I'm sincerely, unironically glad that you're trying the game out! hope you enjoy it!

if you're talking about the guy I think you're talking about, that tower is the moon-view tower from the opening tutorial. you're going through the same area at a different time of day
i am the centipede-fearer. i know theres a centipede miniboss or boss coming up, but i am really liking the game. i want to just power through those parts after being overleveled. im guessing/praying they're largely confined to the abandoned dungeon?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

mostly in a temple place that you probably haven't been to yet. for context, apparently in japanese mythology centipedes are icons of corruption and stagnation, and there are some fellas who are doing some grody poo poo and getting 'pedes for their trouble. you'll murder the poo poo out of them for their heresy. good luck!
how difficult is that section/how long is it? like can i just run thru it?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Cowcaster posted:

later on in the game you have to hug and kiss the centipedes and then one becomes your sidekick and follows you everywhere and at the end sekiro marries a big centipede
lol

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

I guess I'll spoil this

basically there are eight or nine monk mummies sitting around in a couple buildings throughout the zone, essentially stationary and nonaggressive. if you disturb them they will sprout an eight-foot centipede that tries to murder you. you don't need to kill or even interact with any of them at all to beat the game - I think one early on is in front of a gourd seed but nothing more valuable - and they can't chase you. beyond this, there are, uh... three or four bosses that have a giant centipede inside them, but you never fight an actual centipede skittering around as a boss, just ones wearing humanoid flesh suits that you rip out and stab during the deathblow. also, there are two minibosses with "centipede" in the name, but neither are actually centipedes in any way, they're just weird voldo lookalikes.

also, if you look very carefully at the ground in the temple's main hall, there are realistically-sized centipedes skittering around, but they're just cosmetic effects rather than enemies

in all honesty I think you'll be fine

VVV correct
thanks for this lol

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I'm guessing jumping through the roof isn't the most effective way to start the long arm fight? it seems like there are adds to clear first and potentially a way to stealth one of his death blows?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Darth Walrus posted:

Or just kill the adds then grapple out, wait for him to de-aggro, and come back for the first deathblow. Or don't bother because he's really easy.
wow yeah he was really easy. everything since lady butterfly has been way easier than her

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i spent two hours on o'ren and apparently corrupted monk is immediately after :geno:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Alan Smithee posted:

Is genichiro at the top ofAshina sipposed to be hard? I feel like I should get it but I keep getting caught in his swipe and spinning swipe attacks. I resorted to jumping hit and runs but he still gets me midair with the bow and by phase two I have no gourd
i found him significantly easier than butterfly fwiw. you can jump his swipe moves if you have to and they give you a window to get in some chip damage, which in turn lets you build posture on him. when he closes the distance and starts his flurry just spam L1 if you have to, youll get some posture damage in. also just block the arrows, you shouldn't take any vitality damage.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
omfg killed that oval office ape and got that horrifying centipede execution

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

multijoe posted:

When the sky turns to evening check back in at the Great Serpent Shrine to the rear of the castle and if you really want to get all the beads on your first run make sure you do some advance reading on the endings
I already beat giraffe there, just in the normal course of getting to the gun fort, should i check back having killed guardian ape and gotten the white flower? it seems like its dark out again but idk if thats evening

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
if i've killed guardian ape and then two apes at once do I have to do corrupted monk or are there more bosses i can fight first? I have the white flower or whatever, im pretty confused though

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

hell fuckin' yeah dude keep persevering

no joke some of the toughest moments have been overcoming my repulsion to the ape's centipedes lmao

i just got corrupted monk in less than like twenty tries which is good by my standards

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is there stuff you have to do before owl, lest you get cut off from them permanently or something?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
which shortcut? i just got ogre, i want to get a few idols and maybe that mini boss below owl before i go after him i think

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

e: also, while I'm at it, the boss after owl is the most grossly centipede-y part of the game, but also the last. get through her and it's smooth sailing
omfg i thought i was done after guardian apes lmao. what is the name of the boss??

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

alternatively, if you really want, you can side with owl to get the bad ending and avoid fountainhead palace entirely, but that leaves an unacceptable amount of centipedes not impaled upon the mortal blade
lol gently caress that theres no turning back now

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
drat the stuff owl says is so hurtful :(

is there a lore reason for his heel turn thats revealed later or is he just seduced by the blood like everyone else

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
why are owl's side slashes so hard to parry? i think my LB button is legit hosed up but still

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Ulio posted:

Do you mean the first fight or 2nd fight? Honestly they aren't hard to parry. Are you just enable to parry it or you having trouble recognizing the pattern(attacking him mid combo)?

If you can't straight up parry him then just slow it down, whenever I hosed parry's up is because I did them too quickly. You pretty much always have time to parry so wait till the last moment don't hold block ever imo unless you reducing posture because if there is any input lag you might block the attack. Because there is a bit of animation when he holds block then lets go and blocks/parries. The block/parry animation isn't instant.
when he swings from his left to his right i can block that, but the backslash after that is what's killing me like 90% of the time

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
yeah use puppeteer then dodge everything but the counters and that fight is esay

puppeteer gives you the first orb practically

e: also just spam him with firecrackers when he does his poison combo thing

cargo cult fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 24, 2019

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
do headless drop prayer beads or attack power? what about the giant snake?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
omfg i loving forgot to add the attack power from corrupted monk before owl. i didnt realize until i actually beat him and went to add his loving attack power :suicide:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
for owl you definitely need the antechamber idol, its the one in the window you use to access the castle interior in the first place

i def assumed i would have to take the idol from the bottom of the stairs too lol, that would have been hellish

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
does spamming mortal blow on owl's second orb count as cheese cause it felt like it

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Ulio posted:

Finally did the owl father fight. gently caress this guy was the hardest boss thus far after tomboy. I felt like the game was pretty easy after Tomboy. Even the first fight with Great Shinobi is easy but the 2nd fight loving wrecked me so long. I have no emblems so I couldn't use that. I managed to learn his pattern perfectly lol after fighting him so much. I feel like dashing in this game is so loving risky with the tracking enemies have. I still try to play it like DS sometimes where I try to dash/roll in or out. Managed to completely gently caress Owl Father just by standing still and parrying all his poo poo. I just get panicked when I have high posture so I try to dash out to recover but that's when you get hit with the crazy tracking homing attacks. I honestly think if I didn't see my posture bar I would play 10x better. That thing causes me to make so many loving rash decisions. I know I can parry even when it's full but it fucks me up.
if you beat him just by parrying you're way better than i am cause I could parry four to six of his slashes in a row but without putting some damage in by drawing out his jump it seemed like his posture recovered way too quickly

once I got him to like 60-70% health i found i could actually build posture

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
does divine confetti work on corrupted monk pt2

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Ulio posted:

Snake Eyes was probably the only boss I cheesed. I mean even with poison, he stopped taking poison damage after a while in my game so I had to go fight him/her.

Ya honestly after Genichiro I destroyed every boss until the very end. He basically trains you if you weren't good in parrying. Like I already said this but you can "cheese" aka play like a bitch every boss in this game. But you basically increase the duration of the boss battle by like twice as much. Much more fun to go sword to sword and beat their rear end into a corner. That being said that will make you die a lot of times as it is way riskier to play.
I had a lot of fun with genichiro, I got him down quick, and I did ok on corrupted monk as well and felt good about that. however i hit a 4 hour wall on owl part 1 (earlier we were talking about two different owl fights lol) also god the centipede in monk pt 2 was legit traumatizing

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
not throwing shade or anything but sprinting and firecrackers do feel really cheesy sometimes. granted i still have like two or three bosses to go yet. i sprinted for butterflies second stage and all of bull but i tried to cut myself off after that lol. to each their own obviously

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
ive only played dark souls 1 and i went pure sword and board because i have no imagination lmao. whatever from game i play next I should do something more interesting though. i want to play bloodborne but i have an xbox because im an all around dumbass :rip:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This game is so loving annoying compared to Souls games

The skill point system loving sucks poo poo. In the late game I still need tons of skill points because of how badly they scale and I didn't know that until I had dumped a bunch of them. So when I'm gated by a boss and I'm near to another skill point I have to grind it out otherwise the death system here means I lose everything and I can't spend down my XP the way I do sen here or souls previously.

Now I'm dealing with Juzou 2 and I'm gonna reiterate my call on whether I'm missing something with multi-combatant fights. Like, I'm spending 5 minutes clearing out all these mobs -- the ones by the campfire near the idol because there's no way to get past them without aggroing and they chase you, the ones in the house to the left because they will enter the fight if you don't deal with them, and then the archers in the courtyard, all the while hoping I didn't pull the ninjas on the roof. Then I have to wait to clear aggro on the ninja guy in the courtyard so I can backstab and puppet him. Now time to fight Juzou -- oh wait I eat poo poo in ten seconds because I haven't gotten the timing on his attacks down and I have to mow the grass all over again
theres a samurai there who can help you with that, either with the adds or with roughly one of juzou's health bars. also just spam him with firecrackers and try to only hit him when hes drinking or puking

cargo cult fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 25, 2019

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Blaziken386 posted:

stealth kill and puppeteer him :ssh:

he's dead on the rematch bud, you have to make your own help this time

e: oh yeah! the setup for Juzou 2 is much much easier to deal with if you crouch under the patio boards while running to the arena, you completely avoid the mob and the roof ninjas.
Also, the delayed finger whistle upgrade is really helpful for pulling the poison ninja
:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I didn't fight ishiin before it turned night, did i miss something? like i just beat true monk and dragon