Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I didn't know this thread existed, but dope, this is the only forthcoming game with a release date that I'm looking forward to and it's only a month and some weeks away, but yeah everything I've thought about this game has been said so far. But while I'm disappointed that it won't have co-op, because Bloodborne and DS3 co op is really loving fun, and I can't think of like any games that come close besides MHW. However I'm more than fine with it if it means no PvP and thus, no leveling, and no balancing, and basically just an even more refined Bloodborne where you can loving leap around a huge burning building onto impossibly small platforms while parrying bosses in mid air. I've been playing Demon's Souls and finally finishing it up because it's the only Bloodsouls game I haven't beaten and it's weird how similar the movement is to Bloodborne and DS3. Going back to DS1 and 2 feel incredibly slow and plodding now, and I feel like they'll be nearly impossible for me to go back to post-Sekiro.

Basically yeah, I think this is literally my dream From Soft game, there's jumping, grappling hooks, the parries look fun and like BB and not like DS3, but that might be wishful thinking, but also no leveling, no ganking, not having a billion weapon/armor/type resistances/magic etc to choose from, which is essentially why DS3 is worse than BB, as well as like the entire dope health system and lack of shield in BB.

Also holy gently caress, Miyazaki basically confirming the story will go Bloodborne style bonkers in the second half !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I deleted a lot of stuff for the sake of brevity, but basically in DS3, I’d like spend forever min/maxing and not just fashion soul’in it which is wrong, and like, I love the weapon variety in DS3, but they just couldn’t keep it balanced and have the best possible pvp experience with the same weapon stats that were nerfed in PVE, because of PVP which sucks. And the WA’s were boring af because of that and like, I’m sure half of them had boring ‘increase poise’ or variations of that ‘Skill’, whereas I love my spinny swords, it’s the closet the games have come to Sekiro, doing crazy flips with the Splitleaf GS and Gael’s GS. Bloodborne still had some fashion that left me wanting slightly more, but it becomes bad when you’re min/maxing. Like I hate the top hats and poo poo, and it sucks that Simon’s gear is pretty good, but I can wear my white church garb with the Gold Ardeo, Yahar’gul Trousers and Constables Gloves because its literally just what I think looks cool, which makes no difference really unless it’s like a very specific thing like fighting the Cainhurst Crow, I go in with Maria and or Eileen’s stuff and maybe some Cainhurst stuff, which is fine for one fight where I know what’s the best combo of gear, and it feels like I’m going into battle and suiting up in my like Batman Outfit that I can just shrug off bullets with.

Bloodborne’s gun variety and arcane is okay, I enjoy it because I have a 120 like pure arcane build somehow, and I love co oping with friends and using A Call Beyond when we get invaded, which B.B. invaders never ever loving expect, and I feel like it’s never not ended with one cast of ACB, a bunch of lights and the enemy’s dying screams before they even get a chance to hit us. Like I’m not even good, I can at least consistently win in Bloodborne, DS3 today is basically just players who go online to invade and do only that.. So having a very optimized arcane character just feels so good to kill every invader with like Beast Roaring them off ledges they tried to bait us to, dying while retreating from a homing spell, it literally takes no skill, but it feels like I’m finally the one who pwns, I’d like to think they’re DS3 players who only play to dunk on noobs. Buf which makes it even more hilarious because my friends always forget how OP it can be on players, and because I just use more practical/less flashy tools like Accursed Brew, but that’s literally the only thing I enjoy about invasions really. Plus it has nearly perfect weapon variety, but you’re also a silent player character in an RPG, you’re a character in a story and not a random undead or Hunter.
So yeah I don’t mind the changes, obviously I spend a lot of time enjoying fashion Blood, I mean it’s not like anyoneis gonna see my dope equivalent of DS3’s Mirrah chain mail, or Sunset Armor anyways, because there’s no online and I wear it to let the other players know I’m no noob. JK, but really it’s not the best outfit, I think the weird colored rings around the socks are strange, but I’m fine with it somehow.

It would be cool if there was fashion with no stat changes in BB2, and I really hope so in Sekiro. In God of War I ended up choosing the most similar outfit to the starting outfit by the end when I had the bright green and bulky Niflheim armor, and it was painful to watch in cutscenes and so is my god awful combination of Catarina armor, Havel’s armor, the Winged Knight Helm/Morne’s Helm and like any of those pants, Gundyr and Cathedral Knight being up there with the best AR absorption in general, but the rest being so dumb looking. And I wore it 30 times to Gael, Nameless King etc.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 3, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Firstborn posted:

I find it difficult to finish Dark Souls games (played them all thoroughly, though) because I tend to really get tunnel vision about builds and stats. I really hope something like this becomes the model for the next one.

Same, like, I was very nit picky in that post but it’s the only thing about DS3 I dislike, tied to like two things I really like. But yeah, get rid of stats, maybe have some health or stamina upgrades and choices about how to split them (there’s no stamina but posture I guess?). Idk if this would work, but I mean in a Bloodborne type game I wonder if they could tune it so there’s an alternate system or if it would be too much of a departure.. like when I play a new character, Old Yharnam mainly is still noticeably harder, then it’s p much the same once you get your vigor up to like 25 or so.. I mean, sometimes if I’m chatting with friends and not paying attention I’ll run low on vials but that’s just because I have t stocked up like crazy yet, so I could be wrong. Idk, a low level run seems bonkers to me.

But yeah I spent wayyy too many hours farming humanity to finish Solaire’s questline, and farming souls too in the Painted World in DS1 because I wanted to use Artorias’ GS, but when I finally spent the levels it wasn’t as good as like any of the Black Knight weapons.. idk basically that was incredibly disappointing to find out there’s barely any variety between weapons in DS1

I mean, I like the idea of the leveling system and the Souls and Echo formula, but it’s about time they did a gsme like this with a set protagonist who has a story, because obvs lore/world building and story are a huge part of what make the series so special.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 3, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
E:

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 21, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah I haven’t gotten a good look at the rooster thing but it seems unsettling... also the corrupted monk fight is creepier than the first couple of bosses in any soulsborne game. Vicar Amelia is creepier for sure, BSB would be but I was too worried about dying to notice to flap of skin hanging off his back.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Hentai Jihadist posted:

not a lot but one thing i have noticed while waiting for DS3 and Bloodborne is From basically just show the basic early setting before the game comes out. Before BB i thoguht the whole game was Yharnam and before DS3 I thought it was all Lothric.

its good cause it means you usually get surprised when you take a wrong turn and end up in alien mushroom town

Same, I mean I enjoyed it either way, but the game started blowing my mind when I jumped into the Rom boss arena.

I noticed in the Project Beast trailer that was leaked early in little clips then later in full, it showed Ebreitas, in the Cathedral Ward boss arena, where you fight Vicar Amelia, but I’m glad the game slowly introduces you to the Lovecraftian elements, like getting licked up by an invisible Amy, and then you see some tentacled brainsuckers, and Amygdala statues and Yahar’guk.. but obviously things get weird after Rom as you can then see the Amygdala where you got picked up before etc.

Lol I was watching an old gamefrailers thing and they showed some clips and Gascoigne and the player character were fighting the werewolves on the bridge and you could see a bit of an Amygdala every now and then and someone commented “is it just me or does anyone else see a crazy spider monster hanging off the building??

I never read any Lovecraft and I’ve only heard about specific stuff regarding stories that relate to Bloodborne. I doubt not having read Lovecraft would matter, the game takes a hard 180 from like, nearly cartoon levels of ‘spooky’ and then half way through the games it’s like, it’s about aliens, they turned everyone into beasts. Which I think anyone would appreciate regardless of their having read Lovecraft, but it seems like Lovecraftian monster designs are pretty popular there too, idk.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Surely someone says "something something eyes and the cosmos are surreptitiously guarded by an eldritch bulwark.... yadda.... blood, born [Bloodborne].... yadda yadda"

Someone did say "Prepare to Die, F*****!" and that was pvp, but online is basically canon, it was just some other chosen undead.

Actually I just realized that this is gonna be the first BloodSouls game, or first non, Miyazaki as CEO era From game/Bloodsouls but not really, that doesn't break my immersion by saying "online only item" in the item description, or mentioning the "DLC" in the item description, which wasn't as bad because I could just make up whatever DLC meant in my head canon, like "Deep Loran Chalice", etc. Even then it doesn't work well when the item is the Old Hunter Bell, and in all seriousness, when the game is something like Bloodborne which does the whole like form = function thing so well, it is a bit of an immersion breaker.

re: translations, they are incredibly good, considering how nearly everything is a reference to Lovecraft, a real life location/event/whatever, they loving nail it in the item descriptions' localization. If you do want more in depth lore analysis stuff that isn't VaatiVidya, Aegon of Astora, JSF and Redgrave (the guy who wrote The Paleblood Hunt), are all great, and I enjoy Aegon's Let's Talk Lore series, I think it's called, particularly when the other two are guests, and JSF has ridiculously detailed videos about Oedon, and how Arianna became pregnant because of Oedon... But they all seem to agree that "One Third Umbilical Cord" is a silly name for the item, but it sort of makes sense from a gameplay perspective because it's already obtuse as hell and basically is the only clue as to what/how to use them. But the Japanese and I think PAL versions call it the Cord of the Eye, which I think is more interesting, and it might've been a better clue to say "when three of these are [insert Lovecraftian adjectives/verbs for "eaten/crushed in your fist" here] a Great One is beckoned, and give you a big hug, but these cords precipitate a hug that ends with a fight to the death". But really, the little nit picky things people find, or the stuff that really doesn't have an equivalent English translation, is maybe the most it really strays from the original descriptions that Miyazaki wrote, which is in addition to the nuanced stuff that they have to work their way around with staying true to the references while also making sense, and being incredible.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I came to the thread to post that, Lady Butterfly fight looks like my favorite so far. Lots of verticality, or I hope that it’s not just her that gets to hop around on what I assumed was silk from the Gamescom trailer (whatever the second substantial trailer was). But Rom is my favorite fight, as far as story/lore/setting, like that intro blew my mind.. and that’s apparently Miyazaki’s favorite boss in B.B., and he said the ape looking boss in the trailer I mentioned was his favorite. I wonder if it’s because of the story significance,be cause Rom isn’t the most fun fight and I bet pretty much everyone would agree.., and it’s the most frustrating if you’re new to the game or Souls and keep getting body slammed/one shotted by spiders out of nowhere, like literally, from off screen. when the rest of the game has been ‘tough but fair’. It felt like the most ‘unfair’ fight in the main game, and on my subsequent playthroughs until like my 5th time playing Bloodborne, without fail I’d die right after killing Rom.. but that’s why From is so great, they can stay true to the lore, and make an otherwise boring boss great because of that (or at least the idea that Rom is an infant, as Miyazaki calls her ‘childlike’ and she has very infantile moves, thrashing around and trying to escape, whilst using her arcane powers to try to fend you off). I’m glad the story stuff so far has been super vague, I don’t want to know poo poo, and finish the game as confused as I was when I finished Bloodborne.

And yeah, agreed, fheyve done plenty of promotion, there’s so much footage in the Game Informer videos alone, that I really didn’t pay attention when I checked it out, mainly for their impressions. I feel like they done just enough to make me incredibly hyped yet not too much, just enough to where I know what the demo area is going to be like, and how the basic. combat mechanics work, as well as recent stuff like swimming, skill trees, additional prosthetics info.. in like less than 2 days it’ll be a month, which made me realize it’s a Friday release, whyyy?? I work Friday-Sunday, overnights, so I might have to try to switch shifts..

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 20, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, I don’t think it’ll be easy to get sick of, at least I can still re-play Bloodborne repeatedly, not really counting online (a lot of that time is co op, I guess, but still), and from what they’ve said in the Game Informer stuff, it sounds like it’ll be hard to get everything on your first playthrough, as far as upgrading everything. Idk Id rather they try a single player, story driven game with a main character rather than a ‘chosen undead’ or whatever, just because Miyazaki’s stories are so good, so I want to see how he does this sort of story. Plus it sounds like there’s going to be some system that’s like world tendency, or at least just some other way that death affects the other characters, instead of just draining your health/losing souls/etc.

I keep forgetting how long they say it’s going to be, like on par with Dark Souls 3 if I remember correctly? If it was the same length as Bloodborne I’d be a bit disappointed, but I’m sure there’s going to be lots of stuff to discover. The headless dudes in the Gamescom demo required you to jump off a cliff, grab a small ledge that’s fairly hard to see on the other cliff’s face, and grab it at the right time, and it seems like every video I’ve seen the person playing fucks it up repeatedly.

I think jumping/grappling is going to add a lot to the game, as far as discovery and yeah Miyazaki confirmed it will be a DS1 style interconnected world. It seems like it can only be an improvement to the way they do interconnected worlds, like, thinking about Dark Souls 1 and how limited your movement is, it makes even Bloodborne seem silly and I’m glad they’re trying to add a jump mechanic in a single player game before they do it once a multiplayer game which seems like it might be hard, considering every time you go up or down an elevator or ladder in Bloodborne there’s an X over your bell symbol, which might indicate they don’t know how do handle that level of freedom of movement in a multiplayer setting.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Activision flew out a bunch of Souls boys to Japan, and I guess some to NY, I watched Lobos Jr’s video about his visit, he said that Vaati, The Completionist and others were invited to go play and also he mentioned they had some like, ‘Shinobi training’ room that sounded like a theme park style thing.

And the embargo is lifted tomorrow at like 9 am PST, or 8, I forget, and they’re all basically doing early game demos, but each person edited their own video and he said everyone found different stuff so the videos will be spoilery but not like, ruins the plot twist, or the weird shift to cosmic horror/Lovecraft poo poo like in Bloodborne. At least I think, but he said the videos are going to be semi short, and won’t cover too much new stuff. It’ll be interesting to see those dudes playing it tho, Lobos especially who goes from average to good on blind playthroughs to God-like after several. You can see the video where he details all of this in his video called like ‘From flew me out to japan’ and it’s spoiler free.

Also that Elajiaiz (sp) footage is dope, he makes the combat look as good as I’ve seen it so far, from the very beginning he’s showing off the mechanics, and like taking hits while blocking to show how parry timing works, but he basically parries everything easily and flawlessly does the first phase of the corrupted monk fight, and his commentary made me even more stoked. The genuine sense of joy when he’s zipping around and like ‘holy gently caress the movement feels so good’. God drat, I’ve been playing Souls games leading up to the release, I can’t believe it’s two weeeeks !!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah true, I should’ve said that relative to us basic bitches, his blind playthroughs are about as good as most of us now, and of course now he can punch Ludwig to death naked with no HUD, blood vials, items, or damage taken..

Like Elajiaz is a crazy DS1 speedrunner, so of course he picks up the game and is immediately perfectly executing everything, so I’m curious to see how others do. I’ve seen footage of people who are normally pretty good at Bloodborne and DS just play without adapting at all to the new style the game clearly demands from you. There’s a lot of footage of people rolling and r1 spamming and mostly getting killed or chugging the gourd bc of it, but others can get away with it. We’kl see here very soon, I guess, only a couple more hours until everyone’s Youtube feeds are saturated with those videos.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://youtu.be/AzsMkYXG7Xo New footage of the first area, looks more polished/less demo-y. The way the coins fly towards you kind of annoys me, I mean they’ve done that in like every Souls game, and Bloodborne I think, but it’s like, not a bunch of gold coins flying into the character.. but drat it looks dope, the eavesdropping system is basically what I assumed, but seeing a glimpse of what the plot is like thru gameplay mechanics makes me excited for how many cool little things people will discover.

noooo, dogs look like just as much of a pain in the rear end as ever

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 6, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I never got achewood, and I feel dumb cause I consider myself a *Comedy buff* and a Gamer. I like my comedy as difficult as From games! But yeah I literally just don’t get a majority of them, I’m not saying it’s bad, but yeah I’ve only seen random ones so idk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

punished milkman posted:

i dont want to look at any of the new footage, but can someone tell me if theyve changed the ui since the demo? the grapple icons and posture meters seemed kinda obnoxious at first glance

Not really, I thought the items in the bottom right looked cleaner but I’m prob wrong.

https://youtu.be/ZkUNLxeXaPY Uh “first FIVE hours of Sekiro” by Vaati (video is only 15 mins). And yeah I’m like not watching these, kinda skimming and seeing glimpses of environments, like god drat the area in the last video is gorgeous and also made me feel better about the setting. Prob the most gorgeous plain looking outdoors area they’ve done, maybe it’s just the lack of snow.. but still, really pretty.

Edit: I couldn’t stop watching ;( the dragon rot tho, noooo. As if punishment for dying was potentially bad, moreso in demons souls and DS2, except Bloodborne where you just lost echoes potentially, but I don’t want to be responsible for anyone else’s death. The implications are fascinating though, the amount of dialogue etc you get seems really cool, like, it seems From Soft-y, while still not being superminimal like Bloodborne.

Also, aside from Lobos, my second favorite souls guy is Brad Ellis who did the Bloodsouls retrospective for Easy Allies. https://youtu.be/kXKtIOGJmgo

imhotep fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 6, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

MZ posted:

Did any of them mention what platform they were playing on?

I don’t remember, maybe Xbox one? Idk if I’ve seen a video that doesn’t have the green Xbox looking button prompt, which could be PC too. But ENB said frame rate etc will basically be 30 FPS, and he said it was stable from what I remember. Then 60 on PC im p sure, or idk I’ve never been bothered by frame rate stuff, obviously it’s annoying when it dips but even then it never impacted whether I lived or died in Bloodborne and SotFS and DS Remastered are both 60 FPS on console and I didn’t notice the difference.

I’d imagine they’d show it off on an Xbox one X though, considering it’s the more powerful system and I doubt From’s gonna snow it off on PC given their history with developing for it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Look Sir Droids posted:

Can you explain this a little more in spoiler text?

I don't want to watch anything really, but I am interested in the ins and outs of the death mechanic and any choice items/OP poo poo.

so when you die, twice, or however many times you’re allowed to die since I’ve heard different things, (shadows sometimes die thrice), you have a chance of getting all of your xp and money back instead of half of it, seems like a 30% chance as the starting percentage, and it’s called unseen aid which is provided ‘by the gods or Buddha’, but i think it’s tied into the plot via an illness spreading around called dragonrot that’s affecting your mentor dude, the sculptor, and others and there’s a medic you talk to who says it’s spreading and getting worse with no cure and so far you don’t really know what the cause is or why it’s spreading, but your dying and the spiritual connection seems to be the only thing I’ve seen so far that seems directly related to it, so it’s kind of like world tendency in a way, since you can see the chance as a percentage in the menu of receiving direct aid, and like world tendency, dying affects it.

Also logos says in his video’s description it’s running on pc at a ‘solid 60 fps’ at 1080p, but he wasn’t positive about the resolution.

Also I like Vaati’s comment about the skill required being higher but the skill ceiling being way higher, and it makes sense since you need to parry to kill bosses instead of r1 spamming and hiding safely under their crotch, as well as the drop attack/ambush insta kills combined with the skill tree and unique prosthetic combos into melee. Also Vaati said stealth isn’t something you need to do, it’s just helpful for more reasons than getting the jump on or silently taking out enemies.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 6, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Look Sir Droids posted:

That sounds awesome. So the disease explains why your mentor dude is all furry looking?

thats what I thought, at least. Who knows, but dragons/Seath and Oceiros point to it being something sinister, or bonkers, it’s hard to say. The scene where he tells him about it is great though, him coughing and casually carving stuff surrounded by statues and carvings by him combined with the music makes it seem like it’s going to have some sad bits, at least it already seems more dramatic than the other games, in a good way. That scene isn’t a cutscene, and you also find a really hosed up Ashina clan dude who looks dead, and he’s hiding in an out of the way spot waiting to die, and tells you to go see the woman standing in this house adjacent to you who provides you with a fire prosthetic, which helps you with the ogre fight. When you eavesdrop on the enemies before the ogre, the soldiers are basically like ‘wtf is the general thinking keeping that thing tied up here, he’s gonna gently caress us all up right before we have to go to war’ and then says that his red eyes mean he’s scared of fire. It came off as a bit like ‘eavesdrop to hear weakness’, but it seemed like more of an organic conversation, telling them that in the event that it gets loose, because it’s tied up and clearly pissed about it, and trying to break free (which he does when you initiate combat with the normal enemies. That’s kind of what I meant when I was saying how much potential the game has with all the situational dialogue, it seems a lot more substantial than knocking on doors in Bloodborne, from both a story perspective and for tactical info to use to your advantage in combat.

I recommend the Lobos video too if people, which doesn’t have any commentary and is more about showing enemy and combat situations, but does show some stuff that’s sort of plot related.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 7, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Well looks like I’m never going to die twice, just because I don’t want to come back to see the sculptor dead or something, he does say, like, death is imminent for him as he’s coughing and huddled over his lil carvings. But idk it’s kinda hard to imagine them doing that, especially because the trend has been much more forgiving since Demon’s Souls being like lol, whoops everyone died in the nexus! To Bloodborne having basically none of that, you can miss out on the umbilical cords I guess due to the suspicious beggar, or just not knocking on arianna’s door or missing ioesefka’s clinic after the blood moon. I’d kinda like to see them go back to ruthlessly murdering important NPC’s for no reason, not like Yurt style, but something like Lautrec I guess.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 8, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

RatHat posted:

If anyone is wondering, there IS an English dub of the game. I think I'll probably go with Japanese just because of the setting though.

There's going to be Japanese, English and French, I've heard.

Also PS4 Pro is supposedly running it at 60 fps, 1080p. PFffff the urge to buy a giant 4k TV, a PS4 Pro and PSVR to play Deracine is alarming, especially with the PS5 coming in 2021/2022 according to posts in the PS4 thread. I wish the Xbox One X had like, a single exclusive game I want to play, or I'd get that just so I'm not replacing my PS4 with another PS4 like two years before the PS5 comes out, and this is basically the last game aside from Death Stranding (which could be a PS5 game), that I'm Definitely buying.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Look Sir Droids posted:

I can see that, but this dude seems a bit to proud of his “Souls games are bad” opinion. Like, hating FromSoft games, to own the libs.

Hm, I'm not sure if you mean this writing style is similar to 'own the libs' with some dumb opinion piece that's clearly idiotic like that article, or if you're conflating libs and FromSoft games. Cause if it's the latter, I'd go to youtube and look up dark souls pvp and see how quickly you can find someone saying "dexfag" casually.

From games are interesting in that they attract alt right nerds who want to own people in PVP and do just that and get in stupid af arguments online about it, and then people on Youtube who are fairly progressive and their favorite thing is analyzing who/what Oedeon is and other impossible to prove lore stuff. Hbomberguy was one of the first Youtubers I'd seen who makes long videos analyzing why DS2 is good or Bloodborne and he's got more videos trashing conservatives, etc and doing marathons for trans rights, which is cool. But for everyone like that there's 20 people like the dude who wrote the article. Also lol, his definition of "seen" is like 9 likes and RTs, sad!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

I feel like it's gonna have some world tendency type consequences.

Well.. That's why they asked, if you don't know and want to: instead of the corpse run mechanic, when you die after your first resurrection, you have a chance to respawn without losing any exp or money, which is called unseen aid. This comes at the cost of directly worsening a disease called dragonrot, which seems to have to do with Sekiro's Lord, the child who you lose your arm trying to protect and all of the trailers or pre release info have said that he has a special bloodline, which is why he gets kidnapped by the Ashina clan general it seems. I'm just guessing that this bloodline has potentially sacred properties, but when used in certain ways has negative effects, like the dragonrot which has spread to the sculptor who raises you. We also know that the Ashina clan are preparing for war, and we jump back and forth between the time you lost your arm to the time in which it seems most of the game takes place, and all of a sudden, there's a bunch of demon ninjas who might've taken advantage of this blood, similar to the blood in Bloodborne. Maybe not quite as literally, but what we do know for a fact is that the dragonrot is spreading, no one in the game that Sekiro talks to in the footage they've shown knows why, but we do know that the Ashina general was desperate to kidnap the lord and it's probably because of this bloodline, which allows you to resurrect, but at a potentially terrible cost.

drat I hadn't made those connections before, but I feel like I've spoiled the plot more for myself just by piecing together little bits of stuff we've known for a while, except for the dragonrot. That's why I said a few pages ago that I'm never going to resurrect... I'm scared of From going back to super harsh stuff like Yurt killing important NPCs, etc.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's a loving masterpiece. Somebody post that badass russian girl bursting into sobs at the ending

here, I'll do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzL_uMRDz7E&t=2389s link timed to avoid spoilers, unless you watch after the credits

Ey im glad I’m not the only one who uses that as an example of how effective TLG is at making your eyes get teary (the ones on the inside.. I’m not crying right now :( )

They just need to hurry and collab on the greatest video game of all time. gently caress, might as well add Kojima and Yoko Taro and we’d have a true eldritch horror in the form of a video game narrative. I mean it would literally take 60 insight to see the game on your tv. https://m.imgur.com/bjnKSIoh?r

Also yeah I’m glad I don’t see that kind of stuff either, for me, certain PC games running at 60 FPS, like DS3, looks like it has the soap opera effect, like, 30 is fine, movies are 24 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but also I don’t understand how one could let it impact their experience with The Last Guardian, it’s not a game that requires precise reactions.. and like someone else mentioned, the dips during The one Rebrorn when i use BBP and the empty phantom shell on my saw spear and do a combo for like 6000+ damage and he gets stunned and I go in for the visso attack, it may drop to like 12 FPS but it feels epic. And same with TLG, the only time it slows down is when you enter a new, bigger area and it just feels like slo mo to me. And I can’t imagine noticing frame pacing. Unless it’s ike 29 FPS in a millisecond, and the other frame basically over one second.. like, I can’t tell the difference between SOTFS and the average 30 FPS game on ps4, same with ds1 remastered, they both don’t look much different, I feel like the soap opera effect I’m seeing on ds3 on pc is something else? Like I can see on my friend’s PC that it says 60, sometimes 59, so idk. And if you say that it makes Bloodborne play terribly or affects the way you play, then Idk, I can show you that it’s vey much playable at 30 FPS, and to demonstrate we can meet in the plaza, to the right of the Grand Cathedral, in between the entrance to the Unseen Village and the cathedral. Pw is: “Git gud”

Regardless this talk is boring, I just needed to vent and say that if you care about frame balancing then TLG prob isn’t your type of game anyways.

And also so I’m not just rambling, Lobos Jr said it was a very smooth 60 FPS on PC.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Regardless, that’s a shame and your loss. That wasn’t what I was implying. And it has dips every now and then, it’s not consistently low. But I’m really not the person to have this discussion with, it’s not something I’ve ever cared about as none of the games I enjoy have frame rate issues to the point where it impacts my enjoyment of them. Buy it on PC, though, like I said, consistent 60 FPS so there’s literally no reason to complain about it anymore, just get it on your preferred platform, unless you care about the frame rate, then get it for PC. If you do care and don’t own a PC then you shouldn’t be complaining.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I mean it as a metaphor. Hating Souls games not so much on the merits, but more to irritate fans of the games.

On the death mechanic, I really hope dragonrot is tied to the revive option, not to all deaths. It would be super demoralizing to have NPCs die just because you die a lot in a game from a dev that makes games where you die a lot.

RatHat posted:

I don't think Unseed Aid is directly related with the Dragonrot mechanic. And we're still not sure if Dragonrot only happens if you revive or if it's just death in general.

I thought it was the former, but the Dragon Rot description says that ‘The more the one with the power of the Dragon Heritage dies, the more a sickness known as dragonrot spreads throughout the world. ....
The more Rot Essence that the Wolf has, the lower the chance of receiving Unseen Aid.” And I wish I knew the specifics about dying and reviving being the cause, and I thought it would be reviving because you can occasionally get more than one revive and I assumed that when you die, since you have a choice to die or revive you would choose accordingly based on the risk of getting more Rot Essence (Lobos got three different Rot Essences, the one he shows in his video is for the Sculptor and says like ‘Somewhere, a pained cough rings out endlessly.” :0 then the last paragraph says “owning this item reduces one’s chance of receiving unseen aid”. So yeah, idk I have a feeling or I hope that it’s when you revive, as it doesnt make sense not to revive then.. however, if simply dying and having the blood of the young lord’s Dragon Heritage causes it, then maybe reviving skmply doubles that chance. If that’s the case.. it doesn’t matter because I’m gonna git gud until the inevitable like World Tendency, or fate of the young lord or Sekiro is dependent on this, I’ll just have to not die. I was already planning on replaying this game a poo poo load of times, now I have an actual reason!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

As someone with the cilantro tastes like soap gene I would say probably not that but maybe just slightly true. It’s a mixture of things. I could easily get 20/20 right if you put a random mix of 30vs60 in front of me but I just can’t be too bothered outside of extreme circumstances. Some 360 games were feeling really rough around the end of that console generation but nowadays I rarely encounter games with severe framerate issues that bother me.

e: I’ve never found high framerates distracting though either. That said I have no cares about anything over 60.

👋 same! I’m glad you said soap too, i remember first trying the vile weed and I literally said out loud ‘what is this it tastes like soap’

It’s apparently unrelated to cilantro.

Look Sir Droids posted:

FPS doesn't bother me. Chugging and lag bother me. So I guess I'm in the I just need consistent frames boat. I'll be playing on PC so lol don't care.

Can't believe you people had a boring two page FPS chat a mere week before Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, a Hidetaka Miyazaki game, comes out.

I tried to snuff the chat about it out, and I posted spoilers. But between that nasty page like 3 or 4 pages ago where people were like ‘gently caress YOU SEKIRO SPEAKING OUT LOUDAND LIP MOVEMENT DURING DIALOGUE IS STILL SPOILERS TO ME, DAMNIT.”

In all seriousness, I don’t think it should matter whether anyone thinks something is silly to get upset about because they consider said thing a spoiler, so just act like a decent human being and if you *think* whatever you’re posting could be considered a spoiler, just put Spoiler tags.. this isn’t directed at either of you, KD and lllk sir droids, I just happened to catch up with the thread.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 15, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Relin posted:

did miyazaki do otogi? otogi sucks

No. He’s only done Armored Core 4 and I’m p sure that’s the only game outside of BloodSouls but idk, I’ve never played them, he might’ve done the other AC 4 game. But his first game that was his own was Demons souls, then DS1, was like not really involved with 2 but is credited as a supervisor, and was working on Bloodborne that whole time, came into DS3 halfway through development and then this. So I hiiighly doubt that this game will be like Fallout 76, simply because Activision is the publisher.

Also SotC got a lot of mid 80s scores from popular sites, I feel like the remake and whatnot helped boost the score retroactively. Maybe ico? Either way, TLG was like an 81 on metacritic months after launch and Bethesda Pinball was 1 point above it, so the point remains valid as that’s a masterpiece and I’m assuming Bethesda pinball isn’t as good, WHO KNOWS THO? it could be better than the last guardian.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
If you choose arcane, because it sounds dope, you’re loving yourself when you start Bloodborne. Some weapons scale with arcane, but to do arcane damage and actually benefit from it, you need to either get arcane blood gems or elemental (which you would have no reason to believe arcane would benefit), and even then I’m still somewhat confused by arcane and weapon leveling. As far as hunter tools, you don’t start to see decent damage from stuff like the executioners gloves, a call beyond, augur of sbreitas etc. until level 50 and up, and I’ve heard it has an inverse scaling below 50. You don’t even get any arcane stuff until the woods, beats roar, and the hunter’s bone in the workshop, both pretty useless spells, at least without others to supplement them. So yeah I’ll excited they got rid of leveling

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
As far as size, length, etc. I’ve read a bunch of Redditors have Nice Meltdowns over the game being “only 7 hours?? That’s loving bullshit Bloodborne took me only like 13 hours but still !”

It’s going to be a long game, like most people who have copies and are at the like first Real Boss are 15 hours in, and, the Future press guide is supposedly 30 pages longer than Bloodborne’s which was like 455 or something, but yeah some Reddit nerd compared the sizes of the guides and Sekiro’s is basically one of if not the longest, but that could be because of more plot and/or concept art and like a focus on the Japanese aesthetic and architecture... but now that I think about it, the BloodSouls games all had real life locations they drew inspiration from and visited. When developing Bloodborne, the devs went to the town that Bram Stoker’s Dracula was the setting was either based in, or it was the movie setting, but also this game is explicitly set in a real life setting with a specific time period and location for the first time. The small download size is probably Activision’s Super Triple A compiler or whatever set to the Open World Stealth with Fast Vertical Traversal and a Day Night Cycle preset and probably, sadly, less high fidelity, epic rear end music that, like in Bloodborne, you probably won’t notice the absence of because your focus is nearly 100% on blocking and deflecting and grappling hookin’ it all over town with your butt clenched tight, but might be noticeable on your third or fourth time playing.

At least the collector’s edition comes with the soundtrack which is cool, I haven’t owned a Souls soundtrack ever, even in MP3 form. Edit: oh cool I just looked it up and it’s a code of course. They have a like CD case pictured and everything.. also Lobos’ PC Collector’s Edition only has a steel case and no physical copy of the game lol. I mean I don’t play PC games and I feel like this is a common thing, but I’m almost questioning whether I should even get the special edition anymore, and put the extra 30 towards the FP book. The art book in the CE looked cool and more substantial than it is irl, it looks like it’s maybe 30 pages long? And I only got it for that, the map and the steel case. The statue would be cool but that and the coins in the box are just going to sit in my closet.

Here’s Tim Rogers and some other guy going through an hour and a half of the game, mostly just the vertical slice from the demo, but also bits before that and some areas that the demo didn’t include. if you’ve seen anything that was released from the videos that Souls Youtubers put out a couple weeks ago then you’ve most likely seen all of this, so that is to say there definitely are spoilers in this but nothing that hasn’t already been seen, or I guess stuff that From included in the press approved footage, but with Tim Rogers, so it’s funnier. Basically I’m posting this because the commentary is actually entertaining, and typically I only find like Lobos to be interesting out of the Souls tubers, or other games Journos, but yeah again *SPOILERS from the first hour and a half of the game*:. https://youtu.be/O7VnsZHhBqo

imhotep fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 21, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Ugh that’s why i can’t do digital downloads, or preloads I should say, because that timer always fools me, and I end up clicking on it and hoping they’ll gently caress up and press the ‘Release’ button.

Someone mentioned a 2B skin, and that’s the kind of Activision lootbox shite people were so terrified of that I wouldn’t mind one bit.

Edit: check like 10 pages back or so, someone posted spec requirements and it’s apparently less demanding than DS3, idk if that’s overall or even a good indicator of whether or not it will run well on the hardware you have or whatever, but yeah I guess I’d check that.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 21, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JBP posted:

I'm gonna play this game in forty minutes have fun everyone

OH is it bud???

Edit: I typed ‘how’ but my phone is cracked and lovely so it typed that and I like it so I’m leaving it there

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JBP posted:

I only managed two hours since it was midnight but it feels good and I'm really excited to get into the meat and potatoes gaming this afternoon!

Nice! I really can’t wait to join you guys when the game’s actually out my time, and post about how I’ve died *more than twice!*, I wanted to attempt to gently caress about with virtual private ninja poo poo, (also I agree with BP, it’s almost as boring as the framerate chat and all of the instructions on how to do it were already posted), but I decided not to and just meditated (slept) and then carved a hundred statues of Buddha for like 16 hours so I can stay up all night when I do get it in 3 hours and 23 minutes.

Also from the look of it, the boss you’d fight probably around the time you would fight Gehrman in Bloodborne is basically the Gehrman of Sekiro, or, he will test your willpower to continue if you’re not a true FromSoftware game lover.

Also I thought the English dub would be fine and interesting to do on my second playthrough, but there’s at least one annoying as poo poo NPC in a video I watched where the guy changed it to English. I still might though, but obviously doing Japanese on at least my first two save files.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Then reinstall it! Sekiro: Please Install Twice!

But also, you can parry dogs !.
Also is the unspoilered picture of that moonlight great sword (btw I love the moon, and blood, motifs that are already present so far in Sekiro, it seems like ninja Bloodborne already), but is that fake? I guess I really don’t want to know, it would just be very unlike From or Miyazaki to say it’s not in the game then have it in the game

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

RatHat posted:

Yeah, it's wrong.

What is, the Polygon article or the post that contradicts it?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Oh, my bad, didn’t see that you posted it. At least theres an item to, maybe, cure it? Knowing From and how confusing this already is, it probably won’t in the end. which is funny because it’s basically just as confusing as World Tendency

JBP posted:

I actually made a mistake. I'll definitely play this a second time high and never be struck once, not realise I've capped six bosses in a sitting and laugh like a lunatic every time a cinematic or boss comes up.

I’m already stoned and I have spliffs ready to go, I feel like this is a dumb mistake and I need to play it sober, but at the same time I’m just already giddy and laughing at the idea that I will have this game in my hands in less than three hours.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

RatHat posted:

Oh my god. Lobosjr is fighting (Mid game boss)Guardian Ape right now, and he farts on you and throws poop boulders(both of which can poison). :v:

See this is why I WILL NOT be stone sober, also in The Last Guardian, Trico pooped moments before the last playable section of the game, which then lead to a very sad cutscene that made me cry, so I expect From to handle this with the style and panache that Team Ico did[/spoiler]

w00tmonger posted:

Gotta be stone sober for this to start I think. Would suck real hard to forget some core mechanic and just be loving up for the first few hours

JBP posted:

Nah dude first run will own playing in enhanced mode. I did this with God of War and I needed a break after a couple of scenes due to pleasure overload.

Also like the spoilered quote above this is why I am playing for the first time kind of stoned, as I will cackle like an idiot at this. Even though I definitely won’t make it that far.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Similarly, the bull fight has an eavesdrop text before it that says he doesn’t discriminate between friend or foe, and I just found the Mist Raven prosthetic tool, so I thought that would be it, but the tool is pretty far out of the way.. I actually just remembered in the loving release trailer it’s used on the bull, I’m gonna try it and firecrackers together.

I was thinking it was kinda far out of the way and tough to beat to be the sort of ‘official solution’ to that fight, but it’s on the way, under the bridge like right before owl gives you the key, and you can jump off, there’s a perfect square entry into the wall that’s covered with bamboo, and I found it by total accident, talking to my friend about wall jumping and kicked the bamboo down and found the entrance.

Also tip for speedrunners/people who don’t want a straight up difficult like Bloody Cainhurst Crow ninja v ninja fight, (not sure if it’s thatt hard even, I just barely did any posture damage, but again, was playing terribly because reacting to this game requires your full attention): When you find the ninja who jumps off the like small, two story house,, he’s pretty tough, and I was unfortunately chatting with a friend which makes you 100X worse at the game btw, and I accidentally jumped off the cliff just in a panic I guess and I, saw him follow me off the cliff a good bit away from the cliff to where I’m pretty positive either enemies like that just die or if they’re coded to die instantly when they hit water. But yeah, I plummeted down into the water and I had maybe 1 HP left and then I suddenly got one Black gunpowder, and when I went back up there after resting he wasn’t there anymore and I grabbed the Mist Raven tool. I’m curious, if anyone comes across this guy and wants to cheese him,try aggroing him with health and jump off the edge mid combat.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Uh I may or may not be responsible for *pre release* dragonrot panic, although I later said wait idk why it would be just dying but that makes sense since the game has to justify why you come back to life, etc. So I did correct myself, sort of, but drat, I can’t imagine going through the loading screens while also dealing with some (all) of the boss fights I died repeatedly during.

Also, the conversation between the devil mask guy and sekiro and he asks him what his name is, then laughs and asks him to hunt rats did Sekiro say Tenku or did the other guy? also, tenku... sounds like Tenchu?? And I just realized the Memorial Mob dude is the gosh darned s sculptor wtf isgoing on! I thought I was sekiro now everything’s weird

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I seem to either one or two shot every other mini boss or get stuck on them forever, like the ones I beat weren’t hard by any means, centipede giraffe is obvs easy and took me 2 tries, Elite Samurai took me 3, cheesed first snake eyes second or third try, the first guy who you use Divine confetti on, the very colorful fight, beat him first try after dying to terror before I realized what was happening, lady butterfly only took me like ten tries I feel like? But I’m struggling against the second snake eyes, Isshin fight, but was caught off guard by the phase three, purple ninja guy I’ve gotten somewhat close, and seven Spears is a just a dick, but I gave up trying to mikiri counter because I’d get smacked for 3/4ths my health most of the time (I just need to upgrade mikiri and come back it seems, because I tend to interrupt him for like a good chunk of posture or health and then get too jumpy and can’t really predict his attacks or nervously hit him after a perilous strike, which turns into a very perilous strike when there’s no kanji warning me..) but yeah, i feel like I’ve been doing terribly on bosses where it’s not as much of a duel, and more of a they can gently caress you in two moves, like snake eyes part 2.

What should I do next? I have Isshin, seven Spears, purple guy, snake eyes, I guess technically headless and juzou the glutton, although I ran from both or died from the former. Maybe one of two others, but I forget.. I’m curious about this monk with centipedes crawling on him? I have no idea where that is, and also I took that same lift and I never spoke to a painting.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

I really love the combat in this game, but the one thing I don’t think I’ll ever warm up to is jumping to avoid perilous attacks. I don’t think it will ever not feel unnatural and bad to me. It reminds me of the dodge in breath of the wild that I still hated after 200 hours.

Maybe it’s just me, but it feels so clunky and at odds with the rest of the combat. Everything else feels so rhythmic and smooth and every time I have to jump it just trips my brain up in a way that I really dislike.

I kinda feel the same way, but not really, I generally think it's way better than DS3 or Bloodborne. And I've just died like 30 times in a row to Genichiro just now, but if it didn't have that, idk what would make me clench my butt and twitch my legs like I did struggling through Bloodborne the first time. And this has literally happened like the last 5 times I've fought him, I caught the lightning twice at least 3 attempts out of those 5 too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0sXNK8EXY4

edit: also I know how I hosed up, I've been playing all day, but it's just like, the closest I've come to getting frustrated, but that was also because I'd been playing for like a long rear end time and also was sweating and needing a spliff break like 2 hours prior to that.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 31, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
no way, he does way more damage relative to how much posture damage he receives, and also the area you fight him in is open/advantageous to his diagonal huge spear slam/sweep whatever. I'm too scared to Mikiri Counter it because I'm afraid I'm going to get slammed.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Your Computer posted:

well there's your problem

I mean, I did a couple of times, and it seemed to do as much posture damage as my stun locking him until he broke out of it. When I go back to do it I'll actually Mikiri him, hopefully I get the upgrade by then. But I think it's more annoying to clear the enemies before going to do it.. I know you probably don't have too, but the big boys crept up on me once when I didn't. I love mikiri'ing normal mooks, it feels pretty dope stomping on a spear and stabbing their face into the dirt while bright orange blood sprays all over you, and is a nice change of pace to the normal deathblow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Lid posted:

You can tell peoples styles of play based on which bosses gently caress them up most - i personally had no issues with seven spears and genichiro on the castle top but phase one guardian ape ruined me while phase two was a cakewalk.

One shows you are used to getfing in their face deflecting and countering amd exchanges. The other is a Bloodborne boss in Sekiro.

Also that the purple umbrella can solo all Headless and you dont even need divine confetti anymore as it does divine damage innately is the best.

idk, as you can see in the video I posted, I have had no problems (well you might not see it in the video but by that point i'm really trying to get to shirtless Genichiro... and it's the nervousness of anticipating the lightning catch thing that gets me.