Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

I'm confused about what is so much harder about this game for people compared to the souls games. I loved souls, but Sekiro combat feel way more intuitive and responsive.
Turns out other people are not exactly like you and may not find the same kinds of things intuitive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

also, having only messed around with the prosthetic fan for a minute or two last night, is there any point to the first swing by itself? or is it just priming it for the aoe burst? i used it to instantly backstab kill an aggroed hammer ogre in mibu village and i'm definitely playing with this toy until it's broken.
The point is that it's a downside, you need to waste some time setting it up or it would be too broken.

Later in the game the fan, specifically the golden vortex upgrade, becomes the prime farming tool because it not only causes enemies to show their back for the fast kill, it also doubles their drops. so you'll get incredibly efficient killing without the need to stealth slowly and tons of extra cash. Owns.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^You should... go find one. That was the obvious implication there.

Oxxidation posted:

i assume the amnesia was a side-effect of the dragon's blessing, but how much time did wolf forget? why did he end up in that well with no clue how he arrived there? how did genichiro get his hands on kuro after the hirata raid? i might have missed some dialogue but no one ever seems to talk about it
The flashback is three years before the game (as you might know). Between that and the game starting, he served Kuro as usual. Nobody said he doesn't remember what happened before he ended up in the well, presumably it was just nothing interesting: he got beat by the forces who kidnapped Kuro, tossed in there, and lost all heart for a bit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you got to the final boss you are definitely not too old for this.

For what its worth I think that boss has at least one phase too many and it's a huge pain to learn thanks to that. Not their best design moment in this game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Skeleton King posted:

I feel like I don’t quite “get” the parry system. Is it worth trying to parry enemies that attack immediately after being parried? My heart says yes but my brain says I loving suck at parrying and trying to combo parry is far beyond my ability and too risky. Can I just dodge their follow up attack and go back in? Or will I never win if I do that? Do I have to mash my head into paste trying to get good at parrying or is it possible to use dodging effectively in this?
Practise with your buddy Hanbei

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Sounds good, but, sunk cost fallacy

by the way, i used that dragon blood thing but it doesn't seem to have done anything, everyone is still sick.
A classic case of not reading the item description.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Do you know that you can skip every phase but the last one of that fight? The first one is a bit of a weird easter egg but the second one is clearly meant to be skipped. Just hop on top of a branch while she's doing the illusions attack and her body will be revealed and you can jump deathblow her.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

knob posted:

What are the phase 1 details?

Here's a video with both monk fights getting owned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIjtl7YopEA

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They merely respawn many, many times.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Your Computer posted:

actually you can get the drop (literally) on the latter, though it seems a bit inconsistent.
You can also, in one of the only good uses of this skill I've found, Anti-air Deathblow the warriors when they're jumping around for the instant win.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HaB posted:

So I tend to bounce off minibosses much harder than actual bosses. Currently beating my head against Snake Eyes Shirahagi. I have his number, but the timing for his Deadly Attack or whatever it's called seems to change every time. As soon as I think "okay now I've got the timing" I will miss the very next one.
Literally just jump away. Jumping is really good in this game. It has as much or more iframes than the dodge and leaves you much farther away.

Of course, learning the habit of pressing the jump button when an attack is incoming instead of reflex dodging is going to be another thing entirely.

Also snake eyes is a woman

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

It feels like they thought "Hey, you just fought a boss, let's put an Idol after it because that always happens right?"
This is literally and actually what happens. You will note that every single time you beat a boss an idol will spawn in the arena. Even lady butterfly, who kicks you out of the area when you win, spawns an idol! I don't know why they insist on doing this ever since bloodborne.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Modding is beginning to be a thing and it's rad

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spectacularly wrong thread, my friend

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

It's called fine snow in game??
Are you playing on a different loc? That poo poo is definitely called rice in English.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

bike tory posted:

It's called rice up until you feed her the snake hearts, then she starts calling it snow and the item changes to a slightly stronger version of the rice.

Y'all both need to read the dialogue.
I ain't done any of that extra ending poo poo, how am I supposed to know!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was inspired today to boot up sekiro for the first time in months, and, well

I may have forgotten that I installed this.

It's totally the only way to play the game though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

that's not raiden, tho???????
Does Raiden canonically have a pair of swords, one small and one huge, which seamlessly fit over the swords in sekiro???

didn't think so

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

codo27 posted:

I said it before I played this and I'll say it again, knowing it is even more true than I realized. Dark Souls, all of them, is easy. And I've only ever played them two ways, with whatever the highest damage, biggest gently caress off weapon I could use, or the highest damage katana. If you get careless you can still be killed by peons, but in Sekiro I feel like I'm not being careless but packs of guys can be real tricky and the mini boss guys even more so.
No. Dark Souls is not easy. It's punishing as hell to any single mistake. if DS is easy what about 90% of all other games? literally no challenge? beat with your eyes closed?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

Most of this poo poo is designed so you can beat it by mashing random buttons, without actually understanding or paying attention to any of the mechanics.
Well, in extremely short: no.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

stev posted:

You could get through a lot of GoW 1-3 by button mashing - on easier modes at least. There's nothing wrong with that - that's half the fun of the series.

NorseGoW definitely not though.
Are we talking about the same gow 1

the one with jumping puzzles over bottomless pits

Also believe it or not these games have puzzles, too. it's not literally mindless even if/when the combat isn't challenging

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've never understood why the chance for unseen aid is so low. It starts at a measly 30% and only goes lower. The player barely had any incentive to care about that whole system when it's so inconsequential to begin with.

If you ask me the base percentage should be somewhere around 75, and it might be interesting if there were some mechanic to temporarily raise it too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

currently thinking about my absolute favourite joke from this game:

the description of Divine Abduction

"a mild sort of being spirited away that can be returned from quite quickly" is just an amazingly funny phrasing for what this tool does and it perfectly captured my feelings when i learned that i wasn't going to be sending people skyward with huge tornadoes with this fan.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think you lack creativity. All of the tools are really fun even if they're not ever necessarily required, and they're definitely not that situational.

plus the game has tons of moments pretty much handcrafted for a particular tool to be useful in, like the umbrella in the gun fort, or sabimaru against the snake eyes and the okami warriors.

And let's not forget, even if i often do myself, that this game actually pauses the action while you're changing equipment so there's no need to limit yourself to the three that you happen to have equipped when you get into a combat situation.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

the firecrackers in exactly one fight (Ape Arena 2), because using it anywhere else just consistently gets me killed.
Uhh, what? The crackers stun normal enemies for like five seconds and are fantastic whenever you're getting mobbed. How are they getting you killed? Or are you only counting boss fights here for some weird reason?

It does feel like the bosses are best fought just hitting those L1 and R1 buttons, now that I think about that. The tools are all more for convenient area traversal and group fights.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You should look at your spirit emblem count sometime. You amass incredible amounts of those throughout the game even when using tools regularly. My completed game save is sitting on like 500.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The self damage from poison activates mist raven???

this game owns, gently caress anyone who says the tools aren't useful

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I agree with the post above that emblems are kind of a psychological limiter on using prosthetics. Sure you get a ton of them overall, but you can only carry at most 20 at a time and that keeps you from going too nuts, especially in a boss fight when you don't usually have any way to get more of them (short of using the ceremonial tanto but that has a hefty health cost associated and limited uses itself). I feel like what might have made more sense is spirit emblems not being a thing at all, prosthetic tools are just free to use, but you can only change them at idols. This would make the "three at a time" limit actually make sense, since it would be an actual limitation (rather than just a weirdly arbitrary reason to have to go into the pause menu every so often to swap something out), and idols are still frequent enough that you could pretty freely switch stuff around for an area so you wouldn't feel the need to always carry the most general purpose stuff.
To be frank, I never look at my spirit emblem counter while playing and I also have never really run out in the middle of something.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

2B mod is absolutely the correct choice to play this game

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This but unironically

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think it's theoretically possible but a lot of work to make them compatible with that

at least 2B doesn't.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

no matter what NG you're on and how many tools you have backstabbing Juzou is a pain in the fuckin rear end :mad:

Juzou is somehow one of the hardest bosses in the game

his moveset is wack and he's surrounded by 10 dudes. why is this guy one of the first three minibosses.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Just like the tools, all the combat arts are cool and have their uses even if some are easier to use or less situational.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The ninjas are one of the enemies that most rigidly follow the Genichiro Template of r1 r1 l1, so they're really easy to me. Just keep doing that rhythm until you see one of their two special attacks, both of which are also fairly predictable.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just learned during this latest playthrough that you can infinispin with the loaded axe upgrades by mashing the tool button, by the way. Don't know how i ignored that tooltip before, unless it was added in a later patch.

It's mostly pointless and a massive ammo hog, but it's totally worth it to defeat your enemies by spinning wildly with an axe.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

stev posted:

I'm not a fan of enemies that pretty much require the use of limited consumables to beat.
It is an optional challenge, and it's optional for a reason.

Also, you can use some skills in combination with tools to deal damage to them without confetti. The umbrella and living force can be acquired a lot earlier than infinite confetti.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Untrue, that happens after you achieve one more objective. And it's clearly a measure to make the areas of the game that you choose to go to later more difficult than the ones you chose to do earlier, which is pretty clever if you ask me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lol

if not for them something else would've filled the same role. that's how this stuff works. dark souls wouldn't have succeeded if there weren't people who wanted to play a game like dark souls and as long as those people exist the same thing would've happened.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mymla posted:

Dark souls is actually pretty bad. Sekiro is the only good game fromsoftware has made.
have you even played the adventures of cookie and cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

seven spears are some of my favourite fights in the game when pulled off well, they have exactly the right amount of fakeouts, obvious tells, and tricky moves up their sleeves. and of course plenty of mikiri opportunities. feels really good to get their rear end.