Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Raposa posted:

I still pray we get more Bell memory fuckery as DLC once Elden Ring comes out.

Yeah there's still a ton of untapped potential in Sekiro. Just off the top of my head, there's at least 3 characters that would be great bosses in a hypothetical Bell Memory DLC: Tomoe & Takeru, Shinobi Orangutan (pre or post prosthetic), Shinobi Kingfisher. Some younger versions of characters like Butterfly or Owl would be fine too. Sprinkle in a couple 7 Spears or Lone Shadows for minibosses and that'd be a great DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Some of Owl's moves have a long recovery time, so (at least for me) most of the fight is keeping dodging those attacks and hitting him a couple times before backing off and resetting. IIRC he has the double shuriken into leaping strike, anti-heal ball, and the firecracker+slash mentioned above. He can also be interrupted by landing a deflect counterattack while he's in the middle of a combo.

Mortal Draw does wonders in this fight since it deals health damage through block. Double Ichimonji is great too since it staggers him and recovers your own posture.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

codo27 posted:

I'm at a loss as to how to progress beyond the snake in the cave.

There's an old lady on the other side of the sunken valley (right beside an idol) that gives you a hint on how to get past the snake. If you don't want to find her, she basically tells you to 'train' the monkey hanging around close to the snake.

stev posted:

The seven spears at the end is absolutely clowning me because he gangs up on me with his mate. One on one I can take most enemies down with a bit of practice but introducing a second makes me flail around like a madman.

I don't think the game expects you to fight the 2v1. Between the stealth sugar/spiritfall, targeted finger whistle, and the random mook lying around close by, there's several ways to deal with the second guy.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Any beads that you can't go back for can be purchased from the offering box where Hanbei was. You might have missed a mini-boss in somewhere in Ashina castle.

If you haven't done so already, try tackling the Headless and Shichimen warriors now that you can buy unlimited divine confetti.

If you don't have access to the Mushin skill tree yet (the upgraded final skills one), learn the final skill of any other skill tree (Shinobi/Ashina/Prosethetic/Temple) and Emma will give you access to the Mushin arts.

Upgrade all your prosthetic tools to max as possible. Two "don't listen to Owl" playthroughs are needed to get enough lapis for the final upgrades, but you can at least stock up on the rarer upgrade materials like grave wax or fulminated mercury. If you have an excess of sen, you can buy out the limited inventory from all the vendors and stock up on divine confetti/other consumables.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Great, then all you need is to kill interior ministry soldiers (Ashina Stairway idol, where you fought the first Chained Ogre has a bunch of easy backstabs) until you have enough mercury for the final upgrades, spend all your non-pouch sen on confetti/other consumables, and you'll be good to go. If you've already gotten 6 lapis then the other 4 will come from the second playthrough.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Stockwell posted:

I do love the axe, but from what I've gathered it's only really useful in the way you mentioned, I take it the Lazulite version doesn't improve it much in the way of added vit/posture damage?

It's a shame about the flame, I've got living weapon, but I suppose it's no different than just using confetti, which I have a ton of already.

I believe the Lazulite axe deals partial damage through block, in addition to the illusion-dispelling feature. I don't think any of the upgraded prosthetics actually upgrade damage unless it's explicitly stated. Most of the upgrades just offer more functionality, new features, or added effects like fire.

I went Shuriken/Sabimaru for my NG upgrades since I hadn't finished Fountainhead Palace yet and Sabimaru is great against Okami. It also works against O'rin and one of the Snake Eyes in NG+. The Lazulite Axe's illusion-dispel is useful against Illusion Monk and Butterfly but it can be replicated with Snap Seeds.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Raptor1033 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Serpent Shrine ninja blames you for the other ninja that's been killed by the tengu in that spot the first time through. As for pops, I attributed it to the three years hitting him hard age wise but the injury makes sense too.

Yeah the Tengu killed that ninja, but the Lone Shadow miniboss blames you for it. That miniboss's name is Masanaga (who can be fought again in Hirata 2.0), and he calls the dead ninja Masanari, who is also alive in Hirata 2.0 (he's the one talking to Juzou).

The Lone Shadow in the starting well just says something along the lines of "I wanted to see if the story of the immortal depressed shinobi was true". If you backstab one of his health bars at the start he just calls you a bastard :v:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
1. Yep. Wolf was adopted by Owl, while Emma was rescued by the Sculptor and adopted by Dogen. IIRC Wolf and Emma have never met until this game, but Wolf's prosthetic was created by Dogen and she's somewhat familiar with the shinobi lifestyle due to her connection with the Sculptor.

2. Correct again. Owl coordinated the whole thing with the Ministry, who sent their own shinobi and hired a few bandits as a cover (there's fewer bandits in Hirata 2.0 and a bunch of them are drunk). Butterfly was working with Owl, and it's implied that she was using her illusions to trick Kuro into giving both her and Owl immortality, but was interrupted at the last minute by Wolf. Owl had to intervene when Butterfly was killed, but IMO he was probably going to betray Butterfly in the end anyways.

It's offscreen, but we have to assume that Isshin/Genichiro eventually sent their forces there to search for survivors. Kuro was taken to the Moonview tower where we see him at the start of the game. Wolf was thrown in the starting well as punishment for failing to defend his master, plus he was probably in shock/shame at being resurrected.

Hirata was a cadet branch of the ruling Ashina clan, so they were basically nobility. Kuro was adopted by the Hirata clan but wasn't related to anyone there by blood.

3. Pretty much. The theme of 'immortality=stagnation/corruption' is a common theme in all FROM games and Fountainhead is yet another example. All the inhabitants of Fountainhead are obesessed with immortality and youth. The general idea is that palace nobles were manipulating Mibu Villagers to unwittingly send 'bridal offering' palonquins up to Fountainhead, where most of them would get eaten. The red nobles might be higher rank than the blue nobles and Okami warriors, and they've resorted to cannibalism now that Mibu village is all hosed up and sacrifices have stopped.

There's a bunch of mythology mashed together in Fountainhead Palace so not everything fits perfectly. The concept is that all immortality in the game comes from the Divine Dragon in some form and things get more corrupted the farther away you get. Water from the divine dragon flows down to Fountainhead lake where the Carp lives. The Carp is undying (Ningyo fish is Japanese mythology and the carp-dragon connection is Chinese mythology), but can be killed. Some nobles scheme to kill it and become a Carp themselves. Once a Carp dies, it gets eaten by centipede larva and they become immortal as well. The centipede-infested water then flows down to Ashina as the 'Rejeuvenating Water'.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

codo27 posted:

Boy that next area really bumps up the XP and money. About how much further do I have to go?

You've still got few areas to go, plus there's the Purification content. It's a little annoying to trigger the start of that route as it involves a bunch of Idol resting and eavesdropping, but it's worth it for the prayer beads.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
If you haven't killed the Chained Ogre in the castle yet, you can use the Antechamber idol to stealth kill the blue samurai and ninja, drop down to the chained ogre, aggro the red hats and let them get killed by the ogre.

If you have the golden vortex fan upgrade, you can use it to insta-kill the senpou monks and get 2x item drops from them. Great method for farming sugars if you use them. The golden vortex tool works well on the red hats too since they can be backstabbed after every use, but it uses a lot of emblems.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
The important things to buy from the Pot Noble merchants are the red gourd and the 2 lapis lazulis for weapon upgrades (plus one more when you finish their questline). There's also the two mask fragments and the floating passage combat art but they're not that useful. IIRC there's enough treasure scales in a non-Shura playthrough to buy everything from both merchants.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Inner Genichiro is kicking my rear end and I love it. It's great to have a hard mode variant of him since the normal boss becomes a complete joke after the initial encounter.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Inner Geni took me over a dozen attempts to beat just in the practice mode, plus another couple tries in the gauntlet. Definitely the highlight of the three new bosses IMO.

I beat the Inner Father and Inner Isshin gauntlets first try; they have a handful of new moves and gimmicks but they're essentially the same bossfight. Owl Father was my favourite fight so seeing Inner Father use mist raven was rad as gently caress and made it even better. Inner Isshin was kind of disappointing; he just has a new opening attack and a new combo in his spear phase, both of which can be easily dodged.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah there's definitely some artificial difficulty built in some of the early areas like Hirata in a brand new NG. The limited healing and low health pool make it really unforgiving.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

thumper57 posted:

Well I made some progress, I guess, but for any of you feeling sick the last day or so I'm sorry - I have almost certainly given you dragonrot. At this point I'm pretty sure the game is inventing NPCs for me to infect.

I'm at the point where I can either get Lady Butterfly to her second phase relatively easily but then die without accomplishing any more damage, go and die to a general surrounded by riflemen on the castle stairs (actually he hasn't killed me yet, but it takes so goddamn long to clear out his support because I wind up pulling in the entire level, including the assholes on the roofs - then I wind up backing off because I'm out of heals but have enough money to buy an umbrella or something instead), or die hilariously quickly to the "elite" boss guy at the top of the tower.

If you're out of snap seeds to dispel the illusions in p2 of Butterfly, your best bet is to just run around the arena until they transform into glowing butterflies, then hide behind a pillar. Butterfly herself is mostly the same in p2 so the general strategy of "be aggressive->shuriken her in mid-air" still works, though you may need to incorporate more dodging due to the unblockable butterflies.

The stair general's riflemen can be stealth shuriken'd from the bottom of the stairs without drawing aggro from the whole group. If there's only one rifleman left and you're out of emblems then it's fine to just rush in and murder him. Upgrade to the spinning shuriken if you haven't already as the multi-hits will let you deal more damage per emblem. It's also great for the Butterfly fight

Ashina elite's gimmick is that his double-slash goes through block, but not through deflects and his own posture is pathetic. Quickly double-tap the block button when you see his sheath briefly flash light to deflect both hits, which will inflict heavy posture damage. Don't even bother moving around and he'll kill his own posture trying to combo you. IIRC his only other move is a perilous sweep if you're too close.

e: Blocking has a dull, lower pitched sound while deflecting is a higher, sharper sound with a few sparks coming off of your sword. Blocking won't deal posture damage but deflecting will.

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 1, 2020

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

what i don't get is what happened to the previous divine heir whose notes kuro finds because aren't the divine heirs supposed to be immortal? and why wasn't tomoe able to get the mortal blade when sekiro shows up and asks for it and the false divine child just hands it over without asking any questions

Tomoe/Takeru found the black Mortal Blade, and for some reason wasn't able to find the red one (unknown if the Senpou monks had it at the time). While the black Blade can kill immortals, only the red Mortal Blade can sever the dragon's heritage as it's the only weapon that can take the Dragon's Tears. We know that Tomoe faced the Divine Dragon at one point and wounded it, but without the red Blade she couldn't obtain the tears.

The way I see it, the Dragon's Heritage is a little similar to the Dalai Lama reincarnation where it will transfer to a random person upon the Divine Heir's death. So while Takeru could end his life with the black Mortal Blade, he inadvertently passed the Heritage to someone else (Kuro), perpetuating the curse of immortality.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So this sort of worked for me and I wanna confirm with y'all. I was fighting the massive spear guy outside the tower from the very start of the game and I was having somewhat consistent success with mikiri counters by just dodging straight into his thrusts and th en following up with another dodge press. Is this a method that will generally work or am I gonna have to git gudder and learn to actually precisely time dodge presses for those? Because that and the jump step counters are things I can never really land.

Mikiri counter windows are pretty generous, so just hitting dodge once (without any directional inputs) within half a second after the symbol appears will work for the vast majority of thrust attacks.

The Seven Spears miniboss has a delayed thrust attack that's specifically designed* to mess with players who spam the dodge button hoping for easy mikiri counters. It sounds like you hit the first dodge way too early, but were luckily far away enough for the second dodge to register as a mikiri counter.

*e: the symbol appears when the thrust animation starts but the attack won't land until way later, so anyone who mashes the dodge button the instant they see it will miss counter timing

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 31, 2020

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
IMO that gauntlet has the best alternate outfit and coolest final boss.

Fire Isshin isn't too bad in the gauntlet since you can refill gourds/emblems after every fight, meaning you can just firecracker spam your way through his second phase. The DoH cheese jump strat still works in the latest patch so you can at least unlock the final boss of the gauntlet and practice against them.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I can do his first phase by cheese but I have no emblems one way or run low on gourds the other. I want to beat him by actually getting things down.

E: by cheese I mean: 1 - If can just constantly shadowrush him, over and over and that will get through it. It works but isn't great. Or I can constantly run around and bait him into 1 of 3 main attacks. The run to his left than 3 swings, the Ashina Cross, and a double slash. I can get through this but still get hit if I am too aggressive.

I am trying to not attack and just deflect but it's so counterintuitive that I always forget pretty quickly. Sigh.
ISS is for the most part a 'posture' boss; it's all about being aggressive as possible without being greedy. Phase 1 goes down quick if you're constantly up in his face and don't give him time to recover his posture. If you're just deflecting and not attacking the fight will never end and you're just going to eventually slip up and die.

After successfully deflecting/countering a combo, there's usually enough time to safely get 2 quick hits in before he starts another attack.

Basically the rhythm of phase 1 should go: Deflect/counter->quickly attack twice->watch ISS's windup to see what his next attack will be->deflect/counter accordingly->repeat and don't stop to heal or anything. Save your emblems for phase 2 since that's when the real bullshit happens.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

2 - On ISS 1 - How to tell the difference between the sweep and the cross? He sheaths for each. I know I can blow him up with high monk on the sweep, but it's also a guranteed 2 hits when I run around his back on the cross. I haven't been able to tell which is which yet.

It depends entirely on how close you get when he's sheathed. If you get too close to him when his sword is sheathed he'll always do a quick slash->sweep. If you keep your distance and wait for the glint of light he'll always do the Ashina cross. IMO it's easier to deal with the sweep so I just walk up to him to trigger the sweep combo.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
One more tip for the spear phase to maintain aggression: there's a specific angle where you can dodge ISS's delayed 360 degree-AoE attack by jumping off him so you don't need to run away from it. If you've still got emblems, firecrackers can interrupt the attack and aged mist raven makes the dodge window very generous.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Unless they've changed it with a patch, resting at an idol should revive him as long as the drunkard miniboss isn't dead. He's only there to help you with the fight and doesn't do much afterwards.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Harriet Carker posted:

Got them today and am now in Mibu Village.

Two questions:
What was up with the mist noble fight? I’m only half following the story - is there a lore reason why he was so easy?

Lore-wise, the mist noble is not a fighter; his job was to hide Mibu village from the outside world and fool the Mibu villagers via the magic fog (the dying monk near the hidden forest idol had some dialgoue about him). His reason for doing it is revealed later in the game.

quote:

Also, can I sell all my Pacifying Agents now that I bought the Mottled Purple Gourd?

Personally I recommend holding onto them until after you've killed all the Shichimen warriors/Headless since you can fall back on the pacifying agents if you ever run out of purple gourd charges. If you really need the money and sell them, the merchant at the sculptor's temple has an unlimited stock if you need it later.

e: f;b

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Dragonrot sounds intimidating but can be literally ignored outside of 2-3 mini quests (it just stops NPCs from progressing their questlines, nobody can actually die from it). There's more than enough sakura droplets in the game so you can just cure it whenever you want to progress those quests.

IMO Hirata is introduced too soon so it's really tough if you go straight in due to the sheer number of enemies and too few bonfires (relatively speaking). If you've found the 2 prosthetic items then there's no shame in putting Hirata on hold until you've gotten past the first Actual Boss.

The game doesn't lend itself well to fighting multiple enemies so generally the gameplan is to stealth/range kill as many grunts as possible, run away to reset aggro as needed, then fight the miniboss or whatever 1v1.

For the spear miniboss in Hirata specifically, you should be able to backstab the first grunt near the bridge, run away to reset aggro if they detect you, then sneak through the flowers to kill the ranged guy. From there you can either rinse and repeat to slowly clear the rest of the group, get a sneak-backstab on the miniboss from the flowerbeds, or just lure him to the bridge area to fight him 1v1. The miniboss itself is mostly just a mikiri counter tutorial so practice the timing on it by watching the red kanji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Mikiri counters only work on thrust attacks, not sweeps or grabs. Snake Eyes only has a perilous grab attack so yeah mikiri counter won't work on her.

The Seven Spears miniboss is pretty difficult and has a few things that are meant to trip up players. One of his thrust attacks is ever-so-slightly delayed, and he will immeditately follow up with a second attack if his initial thrust gets mikiri countered. Deflecting the second attack will stagger him for a couple seconds which is the opening to attack.

Can't remember if the General minibosses have input reading but some of the bosses absolutely do when you try to heal.

The counter for that is to either run really far away and heal so their attack doesn't reach you, or don't bother healing at all and keep attacking. No hesitation.