Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Andrigaar posted:

I just don't care about going in blind to entertainment media. I'm baffled by people who get uppity if you even almost spoil something and then they get in your face about respecting their wishes. Whoa, dude, calm the gently caress down about this game/movie.

And I don't at all mean anything in this thread, btw. Haven't cared about spoilers for decades.

a lot of people like to be surprised by events, twists and turns in their entertainment media. do you really need a detailed explanation as to why a lot of people would find that to be an important element in how they find enjoyment in something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

boogiepop fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 6, 2019

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
I think the idea is that you can plink away at enemies with ineffective attacks, slowly, and it sucks. if you learn the tells on enemies and parry them and know how to effectively break their posture you can take them down in just a few actual hits

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

BurningCourage posted:

It seems to be a pure escape tool, it soaks some damage and lets you get away with a longer dash in any direction after taking a hit with it. I find it does has some use for groups for getting some space.

the big fat guys with the clubs/hammers you can use the raven tool on to warp behind them when they swing at you and do the big followup raven feather sword slash to do a huge amount of poise damage

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Gridlocked posted:

How the hell do I use upgrades? I've gotten a bunch of Iron and stuff but I can't seem to use them on anything

you'll acquire a key item which will allow you to do prosthetic upgrades at the sculptor not super far in

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

ultrachrist posted:

I think the reason the ogre and his insane grab tracking feels like such a weird difficulty spike is because the early game beats you over the head with parry attacks! and precise timing! but then he's just a circle-strafing souls boss. Seriously, just repeatedly dodge in a circle getting 1-3 hits in after each of his attacks and he falls over.

The attempt before I killed him I flawlessed him down to a few hits left and then he dive-grabbed me and threw me off a cliff, haha.

Another tip: if you kill the two dudes chatting ASAP and sprint up the hill, you can do a good amount of damage to the boss while he's restrained. Fight him lower down the stairs so more dudes don't hear and run to fight you though.

what i did was cover him in oil and flame vent his rear end while he was still restrained, slash him and do a ton of poise damage, oil up, flame, slash him etc till he was ready for a deathblow.

pretty much just did that the whole time but when he'd go for the grab i'd do the jump and air kick to bounce off of him and avoid it, get behind him and slash him more, and he went down pretty fast

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
yeah mikiri counter is insanely good, especially upgraded. the timing is extremely forgiving too

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
the bull wasnt bad at all, selective timing of firecrackers gets him to freak out and nets you a shitload of free slashes. believe it or not you can also deflect his big attacks and do a lot of posture damage

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
i noticed that after dying a shitload of times right after curing the first round of dragonrot that affected the sculptor/the crazy mom that gives you the bell - no more NPCs were getting dragonrot at all because i hadnt met any new ones in a while while exploring and fighting stuff. I think that there are some scripted "break points" where once you've progressed and met some new NPCs, probably an invisible counter starts ticking off your deaths to cause a new wave of dragonrot. I'm a lot deeper into the game now and just got my second round of rot - the guy enamored with the music in the pit/well area, the crow mob dude, and the npc who you give money to to start his business.

I had died a LOT in between the first and second round of rot being passed around and my unseen aid % didn't go down either. I get the feeling that it's probably a lot easier to manage than people think, especially given that you can just straight up buy the dragon droplets from certain vendors for a pretty small sum. I haven't figured out how to collect new blood samples from these people yet but i imagine it's also based on the death counter/progression of dragonrot or perhaps story progression

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Deified Data posted:

My favorite part about this is bosses will basically just camp your corpse cuz they know you're coming back.

I'm honestly not sure how useful this mechanic actually is. It feels less like "you have a second shot at beating the boss, they only have a sliver of health, you got this!" and more "one and a half is the actual length of your life bar and enemy damage is balanced around that fact". I can honestly say I don't think I ever turned things around after reviving, I either win without dying the first time or get curbstomped so hard that the sliver of health you get back doesn't help.

there's nothing stopping you from defending/deflecting/dodging properly when you get back up. enemies don't typically have frame perfect setups on you to hit you the moment that you rez. having the ability to pop back up immediately after a reset in the momentum of fighting is super valuable and it's just a matter of taking advantage of it properly

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

Is there any point at all to the Vault skill, by the way? I've been trying it out and it just... seems supremely useless, I guess. You can only use it on an enemy that is already posture broken and all it really does is make you do a little hop behind them. You could just stab them right there and save yourself the trouble, so I'm not entirely sure what niche it is supposed to fill.

you can obtain skills that only activate from backstab deathblows, like bloodsmoke.

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
to reiterate, for those of you who are frustrated with 'not being able to deal damage'

you don't worry about dealing damage - you figure out what options work best for the enemy you're fighting to gently caress their posture up hard and deathblow them. if you're killing enemies by bleeding their hp out slowly you're doing it extremely wrong. every enemy has some weakness, usually involving parrying a specific move that they do or using a prosthetic tool that will absolutely destroy their posture meter and let you deathblow them super quickly.

the effect is so pronounced that some of the minibusses that people tend to have the most issues with can usually be killed in <30 seconds of actual combat from full. the biggest example I can think of is the spear miniboss in reservoir - mikiri his thrust attacks and deflect everything else, jump his sweep, and then deflect his one particular followup that sends him careening past you waaay off balance. if you use the combat art 'ichimonji' when enemies are super staggered like that you can wreck his posture meter incredibly quickly, particularly with the ichimonji double.

think about the combat more like a rhythm puzzle instead of a 'I have to deal damage to this guy' type of game. lastly, you are 100% invuln during deathblows so use that to your advantage while fighting large groups of enemies.

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
the fat dude with the bell is one enemy that you can use the spear on to yank his armor off - his posture meter basically evaporates with a couple of slaps after that

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Arist posted:

I am constantly running into situations where I have no idea which counter it wants out of me. It should absolutely be more clear which one is necessary, especially given how short the window is to react.

as far as I can tell all of those unblockables can be either mikiri countered (O button) or jumped (X) - so yeah, like that other poster said. it's a binary choice in most cases and you can easily tell what kind of attack they're going to do because 100% of them have HUGE windups that show very clearly the nature of the attack. the devs went out of their ways to make it insanely readable and you press 1 of 2 buttons to hard counter those attacks 100%

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Skypie posted:

I like doing it on Seven Spears but he seems to have a follow up even if you do :(

I can't beat that fucker, been trying all afternoon

mikiri wont let you get free hits on seven spears guy but it's still good to do to keep his posture from regenning, and you can still press the attack after you reset off of the mikiri - he'll block and do the orange flash indicator taht he's about to counter. when you deflect that counter attack he'll go veering waaaay off balance to the side and then you can gently caress him up hard with ichimonji and break his posture really fast. once i figured out the pattern of which attack to deflect to send him off balance he became easy as pie

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Arist posted:

Guardian Ape kinda sucks

i got stuck on him for like 4 hours yesterday and was getting really tired and worn out from getting destroyed by him repeatedly, and then i took a hot shower and relaxed for a little bit, came back and loving whooped his rear end 100% with no damage taken. the answer lies in the heart of battle :hai:

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
i see a lot of people complaining about having to clear too many trash mobs to access boss/miniboss but i cant even really think of any where you cant just stealth/route your way to the area directly without killing anyone, or maybe at most 1-2 dudes. at worst you can sprint past everything souls style and they'll lose aggro on you pretty quickly due to how much vertical traversal is in there

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
yeah i spoke too soon there are a few exceptions - i think by and large the idea that "you have to slog through a ton of mobs to accomplish anything" is extremely exaggerated however and i actually make it a point in most FROM games to see what i can get away with with regards to just beelining through whole zones without fighting poo poo until the next bonfire/boss so that i can treat them like playgrounds when i feel like loving around in there

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone offer any advice on how to deal with the malformed worm monk things at Senpou? Not only is the centipede ones irritating to fight, I can't seem to get their pattern down and always take too much damage fighting them, the whole lot just don't want to die.

there's basically no reason to fight them at all honestly. they dont move and arent a threat, nor do they block you from going anywhere or doing anything

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
something of note - you can sprint in any direction easily even while locked on. I just sprinted backwards during the windup of the terror scream and never got hit by it at all

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Blaziken386 posted:

anyone got any tips for the second phase of the guardian ape fight? it feels like I can't do any damage to him.

(I know the umbrella is useful, but that's it)

yeah as long as you deflect the big final attack where he straightens out his body and slams down he gets put into a super stun state where you can go crazy, and as others have said use the spear on his neck hole when he's in that grounded state and do the pull followup for a cool surprise + big rear end posture dmg

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Control Volume posted:

The game should be called "Cognitive dissonance Simulator", everything it tells you is FALSE, you are way better ignoring all the game mechanics and cheesing the bosses, run around, spam firecrackers when possible hit and run,hit and run, forget about everything the game told you, it's useless, dodge is broken and the bosses will cheat doing magnetized attacks and do 360° turns on you just to hit you, they will do this even in the air, parrying will damage you more than them, learn how to cheese the encounter after 100 tries and you may be able to win, that's not fun, not rewarding, it is a bad design, it is artificial difficulty. It all follows the stigma the fanboys put on From Software, they thought the only thing that mattered about Dark Souls (the original) was the "difficulty" and from that poin on with each new game release they made the games more and more about how to kill the player, how to cater to the "git gud" fanboys and not about making a fun rewarding product and now you got this... abomination, From Software will lose sales over this game, this game will sell well enough because nobody was expecting this, but next game?, you will see, catering to the wrong people will make you lose sales on your next product.

link to source?

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeahh, I'm done. I can't do the Endboss,and this game is stressing me out after work. I'm too old for this

you cant quit at the endboss. meditate under a waterfall and power up to defeat him. dont be a coward

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
i don't see this mechanic specifically pointed out too often but if you attack an enemy that's blocking and then see an orange flash on their weapon - that's an indicator that they're about to counter attack you. deflecting THOSE specific orange flash attacks and then doing the counter-slash followup attack are the "key attacks" that let you do significant posture damage to most humanoid enemies, including bosses. you can deflect/parry all day on regular swings and it won't really do much aside from save you posture damage (which is still good), but the idea is that you press the attack until you see the orange flash, deflect their counter, and then go crazy on hitting them to deal meaningful posture damage. grasping this mechanic and using it (doing it to seven spears ashina spear guy will send him staggering off to the side, after which hitting him a lot will deal a LOT of posture damage) will allow you to up your game a LOT and is oftentimes the key to defeat enemies quickly

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

The Moon Monster posted:

It's funny how they introduce those "rat" enemies with the hat shield variant which then appears in like one other place in the entire game but makes everyone think "you gotta use the axe to break their hats!" for every version of the enemy. I've seen like 4 different people streaming the game and suffering under that misapprehension.

Speaking of which, did anyone ever find a use for the spear's putative armor stripping ability? I couldn't get it to work on that one big guy you get an eavesdrop hint for, and then I didn't see any other enemy in the whole game that made me think "I should use the spear!"

yeah the big fat guys that swing the bell around - you poke them with the spear and press R2 again and it tears the armor off and lets regular hits do a ton of posture damage. also can be used on guardian ape's neck hole for big posture damage after knockdowns

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

PantsBandit posted:

Holy poo poo, O'Rin of the Water is bullying me big time. Her basic combo will posture break you unless you can parry every hit and if you do go on the offensive she just goes ethereal and floats away.

I figure I probably need Divine Confetti for this fight, but I don't think I've found a vendor that sells it yet. Maybe I should try to explore some other areas first.

do the jumpkick counter on her head when she does her sweep, big posture damage

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Shindragon posted:

Argh I'm soo close with this final boss!

I keep getting to his second phase but what throws me off his deathblow with the spear, is it a thurst? or a grab? cuz once it connects it's a grab but it acts like a thrust. I was SO CLOSE til he did that.

he'll mix up between a thrust and a sweep, 90% of the time it'll be a thrust perilous attack at the end of a combo, which you can mikiri counter

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah I keep reactively spamming B for dodge and it really is not effective. The mikuri counter needs better timing than just button mashing when you see the icon.

you don't button mash it. wait for the perilous attack kanji, visually identify that it's a thrust attack, and hold down circle (B on Xbox I guess) as the attack is coming towards you. you don't need any directional inputs and the window is extremely forgiving.

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Look Sir Droids posted:

So Seven Spears is basically a Mikiri counter tutorial, right? I get the easy deathblow on him, but I'm not doing poo poo on his second health bar. I lit him on fire and that did like 5%.

attack him until orange flash, he'll usually do a melee string or a thrust perilous attack in response off the orange flash -> deflect or mikiri, this will send him careening off to the side in a unique stagger animation -> do posture damage and kill.

i still to this day never see people talk about the "orange flash" that occurs when you attack enemies, it's a straight indicator of when the enemy is about to do a counter attack, and 99% of the time when you properly counter their orange flash followup you will be able to do a substantial amount of posture damage. this is the key to the ENTIRE combat system and it's really bizarre to me that it isn't talked about

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Regy Rusty posted:

We talk about it all the time in this thread when giving new people advice

thread moves pretty fast so i must have missed it, sorry!

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
i really dont understand why sekiro has generated such levels of games-journo controversy and asshurt from souls fans who refuse to learn its systems and play the game that it is

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

because it's a good game with a big budget and a huge AAA marketing push that doesn't give a poo poo if people who aren't good at videogames can play/enjoy it

I really don't understand why ppl think that's confusing; people who are bad/stubborn/whatever want to play more of it because it's good and can't because they get too mad about dying to a boss twenty times

the part that's confusing to me is that there's a certain type of mindset that most people have to click with to really be into FROM games in the first place - if you aren't already a gamer who enjoys brutal challenges and low margin of error combat etc, getting through the souls series and bloodborne usually makes people go through a kind of mental awakening with their perspective on how to approach challenging games like this.

you don't just beat your head against the same boss with the same exact approach 20 times and miraculously expect it to Just Work that 21st time - these games require you to really stop and pay attention to what mechanics are in play, what you're doing wrong/getting hit by, and to identify the weakpoints or tricks to kill bosses and enemies effectively.

that exact same approach works just as well in sekiro and so much of it is tied to the posture system and deflecting certain attacks that it's genuinely baffling that people seem unable to wrap their heads around just learning the actual mechanics and taking a more constructive approach to the things that are stonewalling them. that they instead get super frustrated and say "this isn't for me" or "this game sucks and is a step back from souls" seems 100% at odds with the mindset that most people seem to adopt when they developed a love for the soulsborne games in the first place

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Steve2911 posted:

People like these games for different reasons. And I think it's quite a different skill to work out how to dodge, block and slash your way to victory than it is to get amazing at split second parries. The fights themselves are far more slow and methodical (for the most part). You can get through Souls without the mad reflexes you need for Sekiro.

"split second" is being extremely generous, the parry timing is arguably easier than dodging/rolling in soulsborne especially since you don't even have to move or reposition to capitalize on a successful deflect

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright the Gun Fort part where you have to do the Micheal Bay run across the bridge is loving stupid, not because it's hard or anything but because it's just so weirdly out of place as a setpiece in a game about slowly looking around

also I have to stop playing the game until I either get a new USB cord for my PS4 controller, or a Bluetooth adapter for my PC, because my controller cord has gotten so flimsy over the last day or two that it'll disconnect every fifteen seconds or so, which have made the above section not doable, which is unfortunate because I was really on a roll with this game

the mini usb port on the ps4 controller is notoriously lovely and will drop data connection if you sneeze in the same room, getting a decent bluetooth adapter is 10000x better and very worthwhile

edit: sincerely hoping that the next gen of game controllers will have USB-C connectors instead. theyre the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

shut up blegum posted:

Hmmm, I watched some stream and it turns out that I really need to kill Genichiro in order to progress the game. I'm already farting around in the temple area, but according to the story I shouldn't really be there yet.
Sigh

there is no "i shouldn't be there yet"