Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Giver? You're alive? And playing another MegaMan.EXE game?! This is like the stuff of legends.

Too bad it's the most Capcom of BN games, but hey, I'll never say no to a Giver MegaMan.EXE LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

There's a terrible habit of some remakes of games to just not do enough to update them. And I feel OSS is one of those. Not enough is done to make it stand out properly.

For anyone with no knowledge of OSS, just keep this post in mind. It's just a port of BN1 (already a bad game, though the beginnings of a great franchise) with very minor additions. Not upgrades, nothing was improved despite how much needed to be improved, but additions, like the * code that probably took all of five minutes to implement.

Adding a map on the bottom screen instead of fixing the awful internet should already tell you the level of effort here. This is Capcomest MegaMan BN.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, if the series had only been Star Force 1 and 2, I'd say to end it there, but Star Force 3 was a genuinely very good game. Too bad it came too late to matter.

I'd kill for either BN or SF to get continued though, with games on the level of the endings of both franchises. They went out with a bang.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Solumin posted:

Looks like only BlitzBlast's Star Force 2 LP is on the archive, which is a shame.

It really is. The series deserves to be LPed in full, or at the very least have the actually good game in it LPed! It's impressive that the only LP that got 100% completed and archived is the one from the shittiest game in the franchise. I guess it's a good thing though, now people don't have to play it to understand how the plot goes...not like SF2 adds much to it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Star Force definitely averages out as a very good series. SF1 is a massive step forward writing-wise from BN, though sadly it's also a step backwards in gameplay. SF2...is the BN4 of SF, let's ignore it. SF3 is a lot of fun to play and the writing is definitely still good, although I'd say SF1 is the best moment of the series in that.

Also all the games have some way to just shatter them in half and that's always fun. Even SF2!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Petiso posted:

While It's obvious it's the weakest of the bunch, I feel people are a bit unfair with SF2 (sometimes putting it right next to X7 when talking about bad MM games). Sure, SF1 has a great story for a kids' RPG so it feels worse when SF2 turns into a parade of anime cliches (which isn't much worse than the average BN game, honestly) but the gameplay is noticeable more fun than SF1's we-are-still-learning-the-ropes battle system.

Depends on what you consider gameplay. In-battle? Maybe. It does refine SF1's concepts somewhat, if not nearly enough, that'll wait until SF3.

Outside of battle? No, SF2 is an abomination. Plesio Surf's stage alone is enough to drive all the hatred to that game, standing up there with BN4's worst minigames like MetalMan's and the cooking one. The rest is not great either. The postgame is horrendous, with a massive difficulty spike you will be horribly unprepared for unless you abuse the game breaking stuff.

SF2 absolutely is the BN4 of SF. BN4 also had an okay battle system (in that nothing was really changed, beyond adding the emotion system (good) and changing Style Changes for Soul Unison (bad, but later turns good in BN6 with the Cross System) but everything else goddamn sucked so badly it made you hate the game no matter how much you may like BN's battle system.

And talking about goddamn Star Force 2...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Solo was a mistake, though.

Until SF3 that managed to actually make him likable, and even that took until the postgame. Solo is the worst Bass.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In this update: everyone gets hammered. Everyone.

Also the number changes are likely there because they were extremely easy to implement and even Capcom thought they needed to at least slightly justify this. They failed, and they didn't even really try, but...you know...it's something...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I thought this port was just lazy, but it also adds glitches? incredible. Capcom sure tried hard here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Solumin posted:

That is a really naive pRNG algorithm. I'm surprised they used it for all of the games, considering how bad it is.

Capcom.

Also Prof. 9, you reminded me of two things with that long-rear end post. One was one of my most hated subjects in my career, so no thanks for that. Two was TREZ, is that still alive? I was a part of it a long, long time ago, and seeing you mention Greiga Master brought a lot of memories back. Also, thanks for explaining why that does not work, I'm genuinely surprised all of this happens because they wrote a bad algorithm. As in...not surprised by something out of Capcom being flawed, but rather that they bothered writing something like this instead of just using an existing one, so they wouldn't need to test it (...not like they tested this, even for a port that should've at least fixed this kind of glitch, especially if BN6 already did that!).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

But how can it be so image-heavy, it's a dungeon, you can't have so many chips to grind there! :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is my personal interpretation so it may be completely wrong, but the whole "Official NetBattlers can fight anywhere!" and Lan never using chips outside of battle, plus the energy changing NaviCust program in BN3, made me think that there's a big difference between fighting on the field and in the grid. Basically, on the overworld there's only so much normal Navis can do - MegaMan can fire his buster (and use FireShots, apparently, whatever those are...) but he couldn't fight for real. Once the Battle Routine is Executed, he can go all-out. ProtoMan here is not limited by that, hence why he gets to be cool out of battle (but the player will never get to use that, despite him being playable in two games).

This is also almost definitely not true and the reality is that the writers didn't think this through, but it makes sense to me dammit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"MegaMan is Lan's brother" seems to be a particularly hated plot point by anyone who adapts this considering I can't think of a single adaptation that kept it. Admittedly, every adaptation of Battle Network is very loose, but that plot point is vital to the games yet ignored by everything else - anime, manga, you name it.

The manga even kept the Hub name but gave it a completely different explanation. Also, said manga is good, it's surprisingly aggresive.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The "hyper advanced civilization" thing with Pharaohman is hilarious considering Star Force 2 would end up confirming that, yes, a hyper advanced civilization did exist before the series. Sure, it was EM-wave-based rather than internet-based, but nonetheless the manga got it right or Capcom actually liked the idea enough for it to be a thing in the worst game of the trilogy, and retroactively to all of SF and BN.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Having a map must make the puzzle for this dungeon a bit pointless.

It's the shittiest part of the entire series, give or take a few BN4 minigames, so I'm completely fine with anything that makes it even a bit more bearable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have to wonder what possessed Capcom to market a crossover, and then just leave 95% of the game unchanged, only to dump the actual crossover part near the rear end end of the game.

It's Capcom, putting zero effort into things and reusing all they can, then releasing half-assed ports, is how they are as a company. OSS is just more of their usual.

Larryb posted:

Fair, the map on the bottom screen and being able to run from battles manually like in the other games are useful as well. Despite being roughly the same it's still a pity this never got officially brought over here as it's pretty much the definitive version of the original Battle Network.

The "definitive version" of BN1 is still a bad game that needed a lot more effort put into it and I'm glad it never left Japan. It would've just failed in the market anyways.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, new content! Crossover content! What the game promised and didn't deliver until now! And it's...inconsistently written? Can't even stick to a basic game rule every single one of the six games did?

Why would you expect more from Capcom, I guess. At least the spritework's nice, I really like that Subaru does not just flat-out explode like every boss ever and instead has his own losing animation since MegaMan.EXE didn't delete a human being (that'd be kind of mean) but just shot him down a bit. And the new area's nice looking at least.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Glazius posted:

As crossovers go, subbing in for a monster-of-the-week episode is a pretty solid way to do it.

When your one selling point isn't the crossover, sure. But here we have the earliest, roughest, second most unfun game of the franchise, nearly unchanged despite the sheer amount of upgrades that happened between 1 and 2 alone, nevermind the other three good games, despite being in a stronger console, and the reason Capcom gives to buy it again despite being a blatant cashgrab with no effort put into it, is being a crossover between both BN-timeline series. Which happens for all of one scenario then you're back to the usual BN1 plot.

It's bad. The writing genuinely being pretty good outside of Mega being very OOC doesn't change that. They couldn't even make a good fight between the MegaMen. At least ClockMan looks fun, even if it's really weird that a Navi would be made in the future with this kind of power over a Wizard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GeneralYeti posted:

Unfortunately, Giver's housing situation is a bit complicated at the moment, so the LP will be on a bit of a hiatus until the severed wires outside the place are repaired and he has internet not on his phone again. ETA is 7-10 for his internet to be back, so... hopefully we can get an update out in a few weeks. Hang on tight, we're not letting this die when we're only a few bosses away from the end.

See, this wouldn't happen in the dystopic future where you have internet at all times thanks to your AI friend that may or may not have a soul, depending on how far into the series you are, and if you have a disposable twin to turn into code.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've played to completion every game in this series and I still have no idea what's going on in that gif, please explain.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, "they got better at random data" is more an insult to this game than it is praise for the franchise considering this is not the first game and should have the improvements that came with the franchise's evolution but doesn't.

Also Double Hero 2 should have Harp Note, not Rogue. That guy is no hero.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wow, that demo was pretty lame!

Also, I know he's called Shooting Star Rockman in Japanese or whatever, but the English title doesn't really work as a name. Especially since the Star Force is basically the equivalent of a Style Change or Cross.

Also I don't think he's ever called MegaMan Star Force, whenever he's referred to as Shooting Star Rockman in SF3 (every time he transforms) it's just replaced with "MegaMan" in the English version. Which is really lame but also calling himself Star Force when that only mattered in one game would be rather dumb, as was this pointless name change that caused these issues.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ChaosArgate posted:

I have to imagine Dr Hikari Sr was way better at networking than Dr Light if he had a family in the BN-verse and Dr Light seemingly didn’t.

Dr. Light got warmth from his own created family of robots. Dr. Hikari didn't have that option so he had to actually seek human companions, leading to him finding a woman and having a child.

I can completely believe this since as far as we know Dr. Light had all of one friend and said friend ended up turning evil anyways. And even that one friend only exists as such in the American backstory IIRC.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think I started with X, actually, but BN is the first one I got fully into, mostly because I'm not very good so the RPG gameplay worked far better for me than the punishing platforming. I still love the X series though.

Sadly I also got into BN with BN4 of all games, but somehow that didn't stop me from playing the entire series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

If they couldn’t be bothered to make the Internet not look like nearly identical spaghetti, why would they update the bosses. This is a game dedicated to being faithful to most of the crappiness of the original.

The only dedication it had was to selling with as little effort as humanly possible. The Clockman scenario is only there because they needed some way to advertise the game since nothing was changed, unlike the previous BN DS port (BN5 Twin Leaders, a much better job than this, and even that was lazy!)

Of course they couldn't even program an if clause so the Hub.bat event would only affect the right MegaMan. That'd take like five minutes of effort, and that just can't be accepted here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SSNeoman posted:

Despite that bit being Humor program areas, doesn't Lan actually create the wireless jack-in technology in the anime?

Yeah, it's the one moment in the anime that I can remember that shows there really is a Hikari in Lan. Admittedly, it's not like the games do much with that either, until the epilogue in BN6. The fact that he's really intelligent but also unapplied is not well-shown since he constantly comes across as kind of an idiot, but then again, he is 10.

He's sort of like Kouji Kabuto in that regard. Child of an extremely intelligent family (robotics for the Kabutos), just as gifted as his grandfather and father but also too hot-blooded and uninterested for his own good until he gets to grow up and embrace that side of him. Except Kouji was in his teens when we see him and had a few more problems than Lan, personality-wise. But then again, Tadashi Hikari seemed like a nice man unlike the crazy badass that is Dr. Juuzo Kabuto.

Geostomp posted:

Who did they think they were going to sell this game to, anyway? As bad as Four was, the original Battle Network is the only game that I'd say was arguably worse, if only on a mechanical level. Why bother "remaking" it like this when they could have just redone the final two games?

Beats me, this game seemed like a cheap cashgrab to me even before it was very clear just HOW much of a cheap cashgrab it is. BN6 Twin Beasts could've been a lot of fun without more effort, too, just port the BN5 upgrades (letting other Navis follow you, changing Navis from the other version), make the weird PET toy stuff avaliable in normal gameplay (the MegaRock patch does this, and I can't play BN6 without it anymore, it's too good), and hell, you can throw the Star Force stuff in too without much of a difference, even repurpouse the Beast Out button as a Finalize button for Shooting Star MegaMan. But no, we got the salmon internet instead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The important thing is getting 100% in this game that none of us will play because it's a bad port of an already bad game with far better sequels to play.

...Is that an important thing? I don't even know.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

giver336 posted:

:suicide:

I'm FREE

(almost)

You'll be free once you fix that first post because you have some very important mistakes from LilBomb onwards.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

giver336 posted:

Maybe if you boys and girls are good this year, you'll get a new LP that's BN related after Yeti's Starforce 1.

Oh man, I'll be looking forward to that. I'd love to see that series beyond the infamous SF2 getting full LPs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

StoneMan just does not like you, huh? Those are some pretty unlucky rolls, only one stone hit each.

What's TREZ working on now? The MegaRock patch?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, that's great. I remember trying 4.5 when the patch was in its earliest days and that was fun but quite complicated since only the most basic stuff was translated.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kemix posted:

Wait. This isn't done yet? RIP Yeti. I'll take his place! But seriously, nice to see they changed up Bass/Forte/Whatshisface up for the lovely DS port of BN1. Shame we didn't get more of these.

We've lost absolutely nothing by not getting more of these. If you want to play a BN on your DS, BN5 Twin Leaders is a much better port than this mess, and I'm not sure how they got it right once then so terribly wrong afterwards. Then again, making BN1 not poo poo would've taken some effort, which isn't something Capcom is too keen on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GeneralYeti posted:

Hey! You! Goon reading this. Yeah you.

Drop what you're doing and check it out, we've started the Starforce LP!

Consider what I'm doing dropped. I'm all in for this. Maybe I can even be more positive than I was for this incredibly lazy attempt at a port!