Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Welcome back, goons, in our Hublot Forum of Friendship match day thread. There are again three matches to watch today in this FIFA World Cup 2018, let's hope they are more exciting than yesterday's.

These are today's pairings:

Denmark vs Australia, 14:00 CET, 1 p.m. BST, 8 a.m. EST, Samara
France vs Peru, 17:00 CET, 4 p.m. BST, 11 a.m. EST, Yekaterinburg
Argentina vs Croatia, 20:00 CET, 7 p.m. BST, 2 p.m. EST, Nizhny Novgorod

We start with Australia vs Denmark. The Socceroos gave a good performance against France, with a little luck they could have drawn that game. The Danes on the other hand weren't really dominant against Peru, and with a little less luck, they would have walked away from that match with only one point. This is a pretty equal pairing, with the Danes somewhat favored to win, which would all but guarantee their advance from Group C.

France vs Peru is the other match from Group C, and it's the most lopsided today. France were one of the pre-tournament favorites to win the World Cup, and even thought they didn't convince against Australia, on paper their team is still much stronger than Peru's. The Peruvians created quite a few chances against Denmark and even got that penalty, but they couldn't convert any of those into goals. If they get a bit better at finishing, they could be a challenge for France.

The only Group D pairing rounds up this match day, with Argentina facing Croatia. After losing to Iceland 1-1, Messi's team will be out to prove that they deserve a shot at winning the World Cup. They should still be favored to win, but everybody thought that about their chances to beat the Vikings. Croatia overcame a disappointing Nigeria, but didn't actually make a shot on target until the 92nd minute, relying on a Nigerian own goal and a penalty converted by Modric. If they play as anemic against Argentina as they did against Nigeria, then even this weaker Argentinian side should be able to beat them.

For more info, look up the team threads:

Danish Team Thread
Australian Team Thread
French Thread
Peruvian Team Thread
Argentinian Team Thread
Croatian Team Thread

I wasn't able to watch a single match yesterday :argh:

So I can only go by game summaries, it seems that match day 7 was a bit of a let down. No upsets, few goals, the favorites conserving their strength after scoring their one goal, etc. Let's hope it gets better today, and enjoy the football together with us in our Hublot Forum of Friendship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Austrlia has never been defeated by portugal in the world cup so this is gunna be a piece of piss :fyadride:

edit: Even the nerds at fifa say we're probably not going to lose

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
As always, great OP, OP

Torrannor posted:

I wasn't able to watch a single match yesterday :argh:

So I can only go by game summaries, it seems that match day 7 was a bit of a let down. No upsets, few goals, the favorites conserving their strength after scoring their one goal, etc. Let's hope it gets better today, and enjoy the football together with us in our Hublot Forum of Friendship!

It sucked on many levels. It wasn't just a lack of upsets and lmaos, the games were also unwatchable. Iran v Spain was good for the first 20 minutes of the second half, everything else sucked

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

australia gonna kick some danish rear end

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Argentina will want to win their game tonight

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Alexeythegreat posted:

As always, great OP, OP

It sucked on many levels. It wasn't just a lack of upsets and lmaos, the games were also unwatchable. Iran v Spain was good for the first 20 minutes of the second half, everything else sucked

Thanks for the compliment!

I've read that Iran were actually somewhat competitive and had some chances to score, is that true?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Have a feeling Croatia is going to thump Argentina bad

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Torrannor posted:

I've read that Iran were actually somewhat competitive and had some chances to score, is that true?

The did score but the Great Satan sent VAR to disallow it. A moral but technically offside goal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

African AIDS cum posted:

Good. Messi out in the group stages would be funny

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I predict 2 1-1 draws and Argentina beating Croatia 2-1.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

very excited for a plucky australian defeat, maybe the var can gently caress us or there's a lucky deflection? so we can go home holding our heads high and never improve and blame it all on luck

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I am spending the day travelling to doctors, so it looks like I'm out of luck for watching the wuruld cup today. You'll have to make pitifully sized bets based on the pride and pashun of teams singing their anthems by yourselves for these games.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Iran weren't even that bad yesterday. Played well defensively and conceded an unlucky goal, had plenty of chances to score at the other end. If Portugal play as utterly shite as they did against Morocco, Iran have got a decent chance. Can't wait to see Master Messi play today lads

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

"It was so busy, it was so much fun because a lot of Australian people came into our pub and drank all night. I don’t know exactly how many glasses of beer I poured last night but I think it was one million.

"I slept just only three hours. After I woke up I went to a beer shop and bought 450 litres of beer for Australian guys because I don’t know how many Australian guys come."

Republica bartender Aliya said: "It was a special night. They drank all the beer, we finished it. They watch the football and just drink beer. I don't know why."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/australian-fans-have-run-beer-taps-dry-in-kazan-494512

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
lego men go home and make a lovely truck or whatevs

straya gonna take your arms off and lose them because they are poo poo and hard to find in the carpet

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
lego dont make real guns because they are timid little babies, like all danes

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
australia make a submarine you can hear across an ocean, stupid lego idiots

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I hope Argentina gets picked apart by Croatia and Messi does a big cry

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
messi is incapable of crying

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

messi is incapable of crying

Not if you mess up the signals on the train set in his basement

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

African AIDS cum posted:

me too

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bogan Krkic posted:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Looking forward to some more VAR penalties. The best kind.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

my stepdads beer posted:

"It was so busy, it was so much fun because a lot of Australian people came into our pub and drank all night. I don’t know exactly how many glasses of beer I poured last night but I think it was one million.

"I slept just only three hours. After I woke up I went to a beer shop and bought 450 litres of beer for Australian guys because I don’t know how many Australian guys come."

Republica bartender Aliya said: "It was a special night. They drank all the beer, we finished it. They watch the football and just drink beer. I don't know why."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/australian-fans-have-run-beer-taps-dry-in-kazan-494512

How many schooners is that?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a real chump posted:

australia make a submarine you can hear across an ocean, stupid lego idiots

You should check out the stuff Danes do with submarines...

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug

KomodoWagon posted:

heh

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
They would not dain to beat us tonight :agesilaus:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

sassassin posted:

How many schooners is that?

1058 or 1578 if you’re a bit special and come from Adelaide

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Apparently gonna be same starting 11s except Denmark has Schöne in to replace the injured Kvist

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Danes are really good at deconstructing Walls

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

rear end cobra posted:

Danes are really good at deconstructing Walls

:golfclap:

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

KomodoWagon posted:

:vince:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bogan Krkic posted:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Nam Taf posted:

1058 or 1578 if you’re a bit special and come from Adelaide

But you repeat yourself

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Why isn’t Barry Hall starting?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
🇦🇹oi oi oi!🇦🇹

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Smeef posted:

Why isn’t Barry Hall starting?

Barry Hall legitimately only hung up the boots last year, so I expect we'll see him doing punditry sooner or later

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

it was a bad day of foot but there was one serious lmao

https://twitter.com/Llourinho/statu...6pagenumber%3D3

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
poor guy lol

:d2a:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats