Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Autopilol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

autopilol will be the eventual name of a GitHub repo where you can download software onto a raspberry pi to complete the fsd system that Tesla never could

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nvidia's line-smoothing algorithm has more object permanence than autopilot lol.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i still don't understand what super special secret machine vision they're doing that they can't implement a simple object tracker running on top of it. like sure they're running whatever deep learning segmentation/classification network with no memory on every frame, but you can still do some post-processing on top of that and enforce movement rules at least on the shiny display you show the driver so that vehicles don't wobble around the road phasing in and out of existence

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
that's like an exercise you'd set a second year comp sci student so either there is something extremely smart going on that i am unable to fathom, or they simply don't give a poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

big scary monsters posted:

that's like an exercise you'd set a second year comp sci student so either there is something extremely smart going on that i am unable to fathom, or they simply don't give a poo poo

if they gave a poo poo they’d pay the licensing fees to use lidar.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

maybe they’re doing functional programming so they don’t like objects nor related concepts such as object permanence

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
well it doesn't seem to function, so that's right out. i guess they're using a stack (of bodies) based programming language

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

they also don't seem to like driver permanence

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

its made in everyones favourite data science language python. the interface implemented en qt.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

you can clearly see the reason why they don't have any object permanence on the display shown in these autopilot videos. stuff that is there is randomly disappearing but also a bunch of stuff that isn't there is randomly appearing. Tesla's object classifier is noisy as poo poo, and if there were any object permanence the scene would quickly fill up with phantom objects and the car wouldn't be able to move.

LiDAR effectively solves the noise problem because if there isn't a LiDAR return for a point there's almost certainly nothing there that would be problematic to pass through. but musk hates LiDAR so...

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the only way that no object permanence makes sense is if you’re getting a ton of false positives and your virtual roadway would load up with vehicles that aren’t actually there.

congratulations that's exactly the reason

a single false positive is enough to break any "object permanence" algorithm

take it from me, the guy who did some opencv for a few months one time and couldn't implement some form of object permanence in my face detection app

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Shifty Pony posted:

you can clearly see the reason why they don't have any object permanence on the display shown in these autopilot videos. stuff that is there is randomly disappearing but also a bunch of stuff that isn't there is randomly appearing. Tesla's object classifier is noisy as poo poo, and if there were any object permanence the scene would quickly fill up with phantom objects and the car wouldn't be able to move.

LiDAR effectively solves the noise problem because if there isn't a LiDAR return for a point there's almost certainly nothing there that would be problematic to pass through. but musk hates LiDAR so...

I mean is it just him being dumb and being like "humans only use eyes to drive so so should my magic save-the-world car"? or is there a deeper-seated reason?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i thought he violated some terms of service with mobileye by claiming tesla made all their driving software, so he decided to make it true

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

MononcQc posted:

maybe they’re doing functional programming so they don’t like objects nor related concepts such as object permanence

except they also don't like object immutability

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

go play outside Skyler posted:

congratulations that's exactly the reason

a single false positive is enough to break any "object permanence" algorithm

take it from me, the guy who did some opencv for a few months one time and couldn't implement some form of object permanence in my face detection app

the techniques for this case should be something like averaging frames over time, and applying like a low pass filter (or something more advanced) so that the algorithm does not thrash around reacting wildly to any sporadic input it may get

objects can appear suddenly, but they shouldn’t flicker in and out of existence after being detected

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Agile Vector posted:

i thought he violated some terms of service with mobileye by claiming tesla made all their driving software, so he decided to make it true

I thought the rumor mill was that mobile eye noticed what Tesla was using their system for, had safety concerns, and when those weren't addressed they pulled their own licensing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

Nvidia's line-smoothing algorithm has more object permanence than autopilot lol.
Elon's brain-smoothing algorithm on the other hand...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i thought it was musk refused to pay for lidar licensing. all teslas up until the licensing battle have lidar, but it is disabled.

all the talk about using cameras because eyes are all we need is bluster to justify their loss of the actual good system.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

layering proper hard logic like object permance forcing the ml model to continue to see a bus if it claimed one existed previously remains mostly open research at this point. lot of people working on it, but hard to argue that we're better off than in the 80s there (i.e. the ml layer much better, but the integration just as crude).

ml models working over time usually also do have some recurrence, remembering its own state from a previous time step, but it kind of naturally has an exponential fall-off where unless you bias the training substantially (again open research) it reverts to some blurry mean. and in the average traffic situation there is no train coming right at you.

e: i generally think fsd needs some additional substantial breakthroughs to be safe, no matter the sensors i don't expect current approaches to deal well with representing "there is a bicyclist occluded by that bus" and similar

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Manzoon posted:

I thought the rumor mill was that mobile eye noticed what Tesla was using their system for, had safety concerns, and when those weren't addressed they pulled their own licensing.

ah, that'd make more sense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

i thought it was musk refused to pay for lidar licensing. all teslas up until the licensing battle have lidar, but it is disabled.

all the talk about using cameras because eyes are all we need is bluster to justify their loss of the actual good system.

teslas have never had lidar, they have had a pencil beam radar that was used for the base traffic aware cruise control features, but that supposedly is no longer present on the newer models

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

infernal machines posted:

teslas have never had lidar, they have had a pencil beam radar that was used for the base traffic aware cruise control features, but that supposedly is no longer present on the newer models

that’s the one that he had the licensing slapfight over! thank you for the correction.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lmao if they pushed the cybertrk toy to get ahead of "tesla ota update brick" complaints or something

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Manzoon posted:

yep. mobile eye saw all the features that Tesla was advertising, told Tesla that ME's systems don't support that use (because it was far beyond the ability of the ME system to do reliably), Tesla refused to stop implementing the features, and ME stopped selling to Tesla.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

refleks posted:

its made in everyones favourite data science language python. the interface implemented en qt.

i have bad news about every other modern car

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao if they pushed the cybertrk toy to get ahead of "tesla ota update brick" complaints or something

using one shoddy toy to distract from another

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

4lokos basilisk posted:

the techniques for this case should be something like averaging frames over time, and applying like a low pass filter (or something more advanced) so that the algorithm does not thrash around reacting wildly to any sporadic input it may get

objects can appear suddenly, but they shouldn’t flicker in and out of existence after being detected

the problem with any of this is that you still have to assume the object exists when you see it, because even "well, we'll see if it keeps showing up for a few frames" is how you insert a car into a firetruck

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

yep. mobile eye saw all the features that Tesla was advertising, told Tesla that ME's systems don't support that use (because it was far beyond the ability of the ME system to do reliably), Tesla refused to stop implementing the features, and ME stopped selling to Tesla.

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
note: range extender not an actual product being developed
https://twitter.com/tesla_adri/status/1543958596983169025

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

that solar trailer is giving off some real "hipster-on-youtube-who-builds-a-teardrop-camper-on-a-home-depot-trailer-using-plywood-soaked-in-epoxy-resin-while-lovely-lo-fi-music-plays"...

oh and remember to hit that like and subscribe button

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

refleks posted:

that solar trailer is giving off some real "hipster-on-youtube-who-builds-a-teardrop-camper-on-a-home-depot-trailer-using-plywood-soaked-in-epoxy-resin-while-lovely-lo-fi-music-plays"...

oh and remember to hit that like and subscribe button

https://tinyhousetalk.com/route-del-sol-all-electric-solar-powered-motorhome/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

quote:

Currently, the van is in Mexico awaiting the reopening of the USA border – when the COVID-19 related ‘Nonessential Travel’ ban is lifted – in order to venture to Miami and be outfitted out with its brand new solar array – a gift from Galt Energy

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Galt Energy

i did't think i could wish for the death of a business faster than this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is it.. safe to hang out behind the solar panels like this?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I mean it's not dangerous per se, except that they appear to be using load-bearing vise grips to clamp it all together

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Chris Knight posted:

a structural battery pack doesn't sound like a very good idea

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

a structural battery pack doesn't sound like a very good idea

dumber than any other telsa idea?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

structural battery pack? sounds like they're load-bearing cells :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored