Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the first computer i had experience on was definitely an apple IIe

somehow my rural elementary school got a grant to put two of them in every classroom

i miss the time when one of life's great joys was getting to spend 20 minutes playing number munchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yes, there is a good chance neuralink will make us all dumber

beat me to it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a majority of ontarios power is nuclear as well. plans have been delayed to construct new candu reactors but they're working to implement new smr designs at darlington by the end of the decade currently

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i'm pretty sure all of the reactors are well past their design lifetime, and pickering at least just skipped refurbishment completely, iirc

we definitely need something to pick up that capacity when they finally decide to decommission them

yeah theyre doing staggered refurbishments

was mostly just pointing out that there is active nuclear power research/planning still happening on this continent

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Ontario can't even get a new high capacity power line from the existing Bruce plant to connect to the Toronto grid because of NIMBYs. like the plant is right there chucking power out of the biggest currently operating nuke in the world. but nope!

nimbys are a problem everywhere i assume but i am getting real tired of just how many projects in the region they gently caress up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my only problem with the province having carte blanche to override local planning is the the government we have now, and get every decade or so.

i'm just still salty over nimbys killing LRT and then BRT in this town replete with mailings that said poo poo like "BRT WILL DESTROY OUR WAY OF LIFE"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the did it in brampton too. and set back hamilton's lrt by probably a decade

so much bullshit

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

drat now I have to decide if I want to get some actual work done today or read this 160pg document for a while instead

the timeline threw me

one dude had radiation treatment a year+ after

and the dude that died did it after almost two and a half years of what sounds like misery

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

upsidedown posted:

took my Chevy to the levee but the Chevy was dry

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

musk now claiming cybertruck will be able to power your house

lots of EVs can do this i believe

certainly i’ve seen a number of manufacturers tout this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

some bad takes in this thread

being able to do this is a good thing especially if you're in an area prone to outages. there are definitely ways to enable this sort of thing that are safe for people working on the lines

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nah i think about where i lived back home, we'd have random blackouts that would last several hours multiple times a year just because infrastructure is iffy out in the country. this would have been really helpful

i don't particularly care about the cybertruck since anyone who's paying for one of those turds will probably also pay for a p-p-p-p-ppowerwall

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don't know how many folks in the outer wilds are going to be buying a BEV though, if for range issues alone

nah most people still aren't going to be doing more than a hundred miles a day

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

China’s $4,230 Electric Cars Tap Huge Market Tesla Can’t Reach
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-10/cheap-electric-vehicles-in-china-bring-green-transportation-to-the-masses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ExTYIEJm0

i'd still get one of these for in-city stuff and doing deliveries. a decent electric assist cargo bike isn't much cheaper

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

they are ridiculously good for the price

Obviously not crash tested or anything and its basically a golf cart after a couple espressos but sandy munro couldnt fuckin believe how well it was built

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33RIpK3N8gM

I would absolutely grab one of these if i owned like 10 acres and had to yeet a bale of hay here and there

lol most hay bales are about the size of that car these days

thank gently caress i dont have to haul hay anymore but toward the end i feel like most everyone i knew us included had switched to the round bales

your point largely stands, otherwise. talk about a market insane for disruption, tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

that seems like a neat little city runabout, but by the time you added everything required to be road legal in north america or europe these days, it would probably double both the price and the weight

yeah, although if you sold a $10k electric with ~ 75 mile range i think they'd go gangbusters. could probably charge on 110V without too much trouble and save 240V for an optional add-on, maybe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

yes it’s called a used nissan leaf

there's a difference between buying new and buying used and a lot of people aren't going to want to buy a used electric car, even now, regardless of the sensibility of the decision. but you know that already

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

syq. my bosses went back and forth with me pondering if they should get it and I kind of laughed at the speeds. it’s kind of nice in remote areas I guess.

not just remote, even. i live in a 400k city and there are people around the edges who can't get any broadband above a couple of megs, it's absurd

edit: totally dumb to get when you already have a fibre hook up tho. how many teslas does he drive

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

why would you wait?

i mean, you own a model 3, what could possibly happen in a year that would convince you not to buy one?

preach

i’d be lying if i said i didn’t kinda want a rivian tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so musk is basically a lying salesman i get that but

is his tweet just another not-so-subtle reference to how he mocks any car manufacturer that puts in lidar

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean i am by no means a cv person in any way but i’ve never understood why giving computers more sensors and poo poo is a bad thing aside from a.) complexity and b.) being a cheap rear end in a top hat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sensor fusion is hard

they already ignore radar input anywhere near overpasses because they can't differentiate between something above the vehicle and something in front of the vehicle. this also may be related to their tendency to drive under tractor trailers

i have no doubt about that, but it does seem like patent issues are more likely the underlying cause. that's hilariously terrifying to know, though.

where do the patent issues come into play here, does anyone know? is it a cost function where the patent is explicitly related to using lidar in an adas or is it because the sensors themselves are expensive? i feel like companies are coming out with cheaper iterations on the latter every year

mystes posted:

To be fair it's not like anyone has real FSD even with lidar anyway, but Tesla isn't able to do even lower levels of driver assistance safely, and they're incredibly brazen about lying so by all rights they should be regulated/sued out of existence.

for sure, i just find his antagonism toward it hilarious

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

I think it's mainly just the cost of the sensors and hopefully solid state lidar will change that.

ahh okay. in that case i expect we'll see it in probably every non-tesla car someday. i know how costs grow over huge production numbers but it seems like we have multiple companies touting sub-$100 lidar sensors at this point

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

elon is absolutely going to fully pivot tesla into a crypto company and divest from boring old cars and his fans will eat it up

this would be great because then maybe the spun-off car company could put out good cars eventually

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he's going to claim to be satoshi nakamoto and demand that tesla officially identifies him as the founder of bitcoin

honestly surprised he hasn't just tried to start TESLACOIN already

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fair

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

a bazinga on hack-a-day has designed a cookie cutter/mold that makes cookies that look like the spacex starship.

hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enNOYsdgUOI

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Nice to know people haven't seen Death to Smoochy

literally my first thought which is why i linked it above

criminally underrated imo. so funny.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

can you give us a timestamp, hoss? i'm not watching 13 minutes of bazingas.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Do all Teslas have that stupid rear end glass roof?

that's one of the few things i like about it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

but you're picturing a glass roof from a real automaker, one that doesn't leak water or spontaneously break

:hmmyes:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol ofc there’s a bazinga in the threads bloo blooing about how unfair it is to tesla

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it would be hilarious if the government forced them to rename it to “Partial Highway Steer” mode

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pretty sure he gets it y’all since he edited his post before any of you responded

Nfcknblvbl posted:

yep. being shitfaced while using driver aids still is stupid as poo poo. it's worse now because drunk people will be more likely get in their cars thinking they'll totally be fine with autopilot

especially since it’ll probably be fine occasionally which will just convince them of the genius of the idea

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao and the group is like wow that’s awesome jfc

Colonel J posted:

My friend's car has a glass retractable roof and there's a button we must not press while the roof rack is on otherwise we'll shatter the roof. Pretty stupid imo.

well that’s a dumb as poo poo design

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

got an ad for this thing. so much fiddly poo poo on it that's gonna break, musk is gonna wish he'd thought of it

https://twitter.com/canoo/status/1372607580527157249

their heinous website literally makes me angry

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

to be honest i kinda don't care what a truck looks like on the outside as long as it works great and is comfortable on the inside with the features you'd expect from an electric car today. i'm not worried about resale, i tend to drive poo poo until it dies.

i just don't trust any of these new companies to really succeed longterm, though, and it's not like a risk you can take on a rando laptop or phone maker, say.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Evs coming back bc they can go the 300 miles some San Jose dork commutes every day is not a success of the auto industry but a failure of society to curb sprawl

not sure what your point is, i just want an ev to do poo poo around town

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

rule 1: just post. It’s certainly more fun than nckfncfn exercising his humiliation fetish all over this thread

you clearly just don't get how revolutionary the cybertruck is going to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

give me a truck so sharp you could cut a ham on it Elon

it'll even cook it for you too (when it inevitably explodes in your garage)