Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Nfcknblvbl posted:

syq. my bosses went back and forth with me pondering if they should get it and I kind of laughed at the speeds. it’s kind of nice in remote areas I guess.

not just remote, even. i live in a 400k city and there are people around the edges who can't get any broadband above a couple of megs, it's absurd

edit: totally dumb to get when you already have a fibre hook up tho. how many teslas does he drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Jonny 290 posted:

they are ridiculously good for the price

Obviously not crash tested or anything and its basically a golf cart after a couple espressos but sandy munro couldnt fuckin believe how well it was built

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33RIpK3N8gM

I would absolutely grab one of these if i owned like 10 acres and had to yeet a bale of hay here and there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33RIpK3N8gM&t=299s
"The gaps in the doors are better than what Tesla's got"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nitr0 posted:

What a chud. There's no hope in hell that starlink will replicate a fibre connection. So that only means that he's such a chud he's doing it to "support the cause, love the car, etc."

sorry about your lovely workplace

sounds like more of a bazinga than a chud to me tbh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
work looked at getting starlink for a remote rear end side we had

it went “LOL” and upgraded the v-sat instead

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

mediaphage posted:

not just remote, even. i live in a 400k city and there are people around the edges who can't get any broadband above a couple of megs, it's absurd

edit: totally dumb to get when you already have a fibre hook up tho. how many teslas does he drive

two bosses, they bought their S models after I bought my 3. one of them is trading their Tesla in for a rivian. the other’s getting a cybertruck. I’m on the fence. I’ll wait until a year after they’re out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why would you wait?

i mean, you own a model 3, what could possibly happen in a year that would convince you not to buy one?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

why would you wait?

i mean, you own a model 3, what could possibly happen in a year that would convince you not to buy one?

preach

i’d be lying if i said i didn’t kinda want a rivian tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
"getting" a cybertruck

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mediaphage posted:

lots of EVs can do this i believe

certainly i’ve seen a number of manufacturers tout this

power your house!*

*up to one thousand watts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

power your house!*

*up to one thousand watts

gosh that sounds like a lot. i can't imagine anyone needing any more than that

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1370960344907182083?s=20

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

just make computers see, bing bong so simple

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

just program a real AI to do it ez :rolleyes:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
the roads are designed to work using "optical intelligence" from a single pair of binocular cameras with 250ms latency. let me know how that goes in your car elon

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
roads were not even designed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

roads were not even designed
The irreducible complexity of the road system is undeniable proof of the theory of imbecilic design.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

"0-intervention drive"

- touches steering wheel at least 50 times

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so musk is basically a lying salesman i get that but

is his tweet just another not-so-subtle reference to how he mocks any car manufacturer that puts in lidar

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

go play outside Skyler posted:

"0-intervention drive"

- touches steering wheel at least 50 times

the accelerator too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

so musk is basically a lying salesman i get that but

is his tweet just another not-so-subtle reference to how he mocks any car manufacturer that puts in lidar

imagine being demonstrably wrong, but also being super loving smug about it

he'd fit in pretty well in yospos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, the NTSB would like the NHTSA to start doing their job

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean i am by no means a cv person in any way but i’ve never understood why giving computers more sensors and poo poo is a bad thing aside from a.) complexity and b.) being a cheap rear end in a top hat

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mediaphage posted:

i mean i am by no means a cv person in any way but i’ve never understood why giving computers more sensors and poo poo is a bad thing aside from a.) complexity and b.) being a cheap rear end in a top hat

he'd have to pay someone royalties for using a patent he doesn't own to put lidar on the front. that's the reason why teslas do not have lidar. elon is pissy he has to pay people for their inventions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
tesla failed to do it years ago and now they’re committed to a lie

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

sensor fusion is hard

they already ignore radar input anywhere near overpasses because they can't differentiate between something above the vehicle and something in front of the vehicle. this also may be related to their tendency to drive under tractor trailers

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

its not that they failed to do it and are committed to a lie. they deliberately nixed using lidar because of patent rights. i read something that said it's around 10k/car for a proper lidar setup, and tesla is already unable to make money selling cars.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it's both?

Lidar is still very expensive if they have to put it in every car, but they've told people they'll be able to deliver fsd as a software update, and if they start working on new fsd software that relies on lidar they would have to basically admit they're abandoning development of fsd for existing cars.

Honestly I don't think Elon really even gives a poo poo, though. It's just like a theranos thing where he tells his employees "No I don't want to pay for lidar so do FSD without it" and if they complain he fires them.

To be fair it's not like anyone has real FSD even with lidar anyway, but Tesla isn't able to do even lower levels of driver assistance safely, and they're incredibly brazen about lying so by all rights they should be regulated/sued out of existence.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 14, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sensor fusion is hard

they already ignore radar input anywhere near overpasses because they can't differentiate between something above the vehicle and something in front of the vehicle. this also may be related to their tendency to drive under tractor trailers

i have no doubt about that, but it does seem like patent issues are more likely the underlying cause. that's hilariously terrifying to know, though.

where do the patent issues come into play here, does anyone know? is it a cost function where the patent is explicitly related to using lidar in an adas or is it because the sensors themselves are expensive? i feel like companies are coming out with cheaper iterations on the latter every year

mystes posted:

To be fair it's not like anyone has real FSD even with lidar anyway, but Tesla isn't able to do even lower levels of driver assistance safely, and they're incredibly brazen about lying so by all rights they should be regulated/sued out of existence.

for sure, i just find his antagonism toward it hilarious

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it's mainly just the cost of the sensors and hopefully solid state lidar will change that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

I think it's mainly just the cost of the sensors and hopefully solid state lidar will change that.

ahh okay. in that case i expect we'll see it in probably every non-tesla car someday. i know how costs grow over huge production numbers but it seems like we have multiple companies touting sub-$100 lidar sensors at this point

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

greg the peanut posted:

One of the founders at my work got Starlink despite clearly already having fibre internet. Last teams meeting was hilariously awkward because he just kept dropping his connection randomly. Would have been funnier if we didn’t have to repeat every second point because he has one of the final votes on any major decision.

the ceo of my company is a mega bazinga. whole family has Teslas, he encourages others to get them (even if he doesn’t pay them a salary to afford one lol) and all that.

the upshot to this is I’ve learned that any IT expense can be justified by saying it’s the best, most cutting edge tech out there. it’s his kryptonite lol.

he will pay anything to be perceived as being on the leading edge.

yeah I’m riding the titanic to the bottom but my budget isn’t a problem at least.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hey if we use a time lapse video that makes it harder to notice just how many times someone has to correct the car, then the car works!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it's also possible that there's a Mobileye situation going on with the LIDAR patents where the people licensing the technology won't let you do anything stupidly risky with it that might give their tech a black eye.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

imagine being demonstrably wrong, but also being super loving smug about it

he'd fit in pretty well in yospos
I for one welcome our new fishmusk overlords

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

it's also possible that there's a Mobileye situation going on with the LIDAR patents where the people licensing the technology won't let you do anything stupidly risky with it that might give their tech a black eye.

didn't tesla get around this by just stealing the mobileye stuff and not paying for it?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the ceo of my company is a mega bazinga. whole family has Teslas, he encourages others to get them (even if he doesn’t pay them a salary to afford one lol) and all that.

the upshot to this is I’ve learned that any IT expense can be justified by saying it’s the best, most cutting edge tech out there. it’s his kryptonite lol.

he will pay anything to be perceived as being on the leading edge.

yeah I’m riding the titanic to the bottom but my budget isn’t a problem at least.

What a coincidence, it just so happens that I create the most cutting edge technology out there. For the low low price of the remainder of my mortgage I can deliver an even more cutting edge version of any open source technology that your company uses today.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tk posted:

What a coincidence, it just so happens that I create the most cutting edge technology out there. For the low low price of the remainder of my mortgage I can deliver an even more cutting edge version of any open source technology that your company uses today.

my solution will be several times as cutting edge as tk’s, sure my consulting fee is steeper but I think you’ll find that the exact cost of a 3br russian hill flat is what it takes to get ahead in this competitive environment

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've worked with Quirex and TK and can vouch for them, through my own AI-driven machine-learning post-delivery assessment. Totally worth it for the peace of mind

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i just submitted a proposal that's nothing but a $ number in the seven figures, presented without description other than "1000%"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m honestly floored no ones done that to him yet. it’s pretty widely known in the company that he goes top shelf every time.