Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's still libel unless he can prove it.

And the guy is a cave diver. Maybe Thailand just has the best caves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if eelhead muck would just back down and admit "i hosed up, i apologize, i'm/we're making changes and looking for feedback" he would instantly evaporate like 80% of the criticism. his sycophants would line up to fellate him even harder and most of the tabloid twitter would get bored because admitting flaws isn't juicy and a real journalist would write a piece defending him as a good guy who's just bearing the weight of the world on his shoulders and that would be that. apply this to tesla, hyperloop, union grievances, cave submarine, whatever.

but he's just gotta quadruple-down on everything and it's just baffling that his lawyers and accountants allow him to do it. everything is a personal affront and he can't possibly be less than the smartest man in the room, ever.

any minute now he's gonna start claiming to be the puppetmaster

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lomarf i just noticed "first donor: Melon Eusk"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

"Hmm so for this underground rescue operation should I ask the engineers from the tunnel building and mining company that I own, who assuredly have a confined-spaces rescue plan and response team, or should I ask the engineers from the company that builds spaceships that aren't qualified for human travel and keep blowing up?"

-Elon "smart guy" Musk

does his mining and tunneling company actually do anything like that though?

as far as i can tell the total output of The Boring Company is popular science renderings and that mass effect propane torch

it's not clear that they have any engineers, geologists, miners, etc. on staff at all

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

one of my favourite shows is Planetes and elon musk putting a car into space makes me mad, legit. there're whole episodes about bougie fuckers leaving garbage in space and elon musk sent a whole loving car into space. it's littering except one accident can gently caress us all forever

they were testing the rocket configuration for the first time and had to put some kind of payload on it. no one is going to risk their satellite on an untested platform so usually on the first launch they just put a bunch of water barrels or chunks of steel girders or whatever to simulate a payload mass. in that sense, bolting a car to the upper stage instead as a publicity stunt is fine.

also, they didn't "miss" their target. the rocket is indeed going out to the asteroid belt rather than mars, but that's because they wanted to burn the upper stage out completely in order to observe the engine's behavior as it ran out of fuel (something that can only be tested in space on a total loss mission, since the rockets will always carry a small fuel reserve). so they ended up boosting it past its initial trajectory. that was expected.

also there are hundreds of thousands of pieces of space debris floating around in our orbit and more than 20,000 of them are actively tracked by the department of defense. even if the car had stayed in orbit, it's just one more piece, and it would pose no more danger than any other dead satellite or discarded payload fairing.

i am not a muskovite but let's base our arguments on an accurate foundation :spergin:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

also don't kid yourself with the " more than 20,000 of them are actively tracked by the department of defense", that's a joke

mhm you got a source on that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

prestige objects should not be allowed into space

what do you think a space program is, exactly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

do you? what are the active monitoring stations and where are they located? and what are the corresponding satellites? we get near asteroid misses constantly

h t h

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a work for welfare program for unemployed canadian astronauts

lol did they ever get around to putting that guy on their money or do they need to wait until he’s dead

which guy, chris hadfield? he's the one who is Very Online but i imagine if an astronaut ended up on canadian money it would be Marc Garneau or Roberta Bondar.

we already have the canadarm on the money anyway. as if any first world nation couldn't build a loving robot arm. christ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh okay so we're just doing a fingers-in-our-ears thing then

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

poty posted:

did they rescuer guy really say that musk should go gently caress his sub

what a guy a literal hero and now this on top

he said

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

is that what's actually happening or are they just storing a bunch of cars "in transit" so elon can claim "manufacturing" 10k cars in a week or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dammit, i forgot that they literally had a whole episode about ol' musky and i could have used the simpsons version of him. poo poo. oh well

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nobody knows, it's a term that only tesla has used

probably means "failed quality control" but in a way that won't spook the pigeons

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

But won't that absolutely gently caress their margins (or profit per unit, whatever it's called?) if the denominator fills up with unsalables?

they already don't follow GAAP (for instance, they added the 500 million dollars they got in $1000 fully-refundable deposits on the model 3 to their revenue figures) so why start now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

But who the hell would fund a company that doesn't use GAAP. What in the literal goddamn?

approximately 100% of silicon valley?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

someone find the article where the startup founder is quoted saying "no one is willing to fund you unless you're valued at a billion dollars, so that's where we set our valuation"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the guy who writes electrek has some real shady relationships with tesla and should be considered a tesla pr mouthpiece.

i don't have the source right now but it's a few pages back in the EV thread in AI

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

wow. poo poo. that dude’s BTFO.

blowing the gently caress off?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

twitter delenda est

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

firing squad is probably more humane than the way they were administering the three drug cocktail

yes

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

nitrogen asphyxiation would probably be the easiest and most humane manner

yes

and in addition to nitrogen/other inert gas asphyxiation there are plenty of other ways of killing a person pretty painlessly, such as injecting a massive overdose of insulin, morphine, etc

but no "humane" method of execution will ever be approved because the point of execution is to watch the condemned writhe around as they spend their last moments in agony.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't care if it's funny to see rich people making asses of themselves. it will never result in consequences for them, while the service is simultaneously the most powerful tool for organizing hate and harassment that the planet has ever seen.

it's absolute poo poo top to bottom

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is a "tesla stan"

i mean i know it's a fanboy but what does the term mean

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol that's better than i was expecting

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

over/under on her going blonde is currently six months

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i thought it was because so many people were getting taken in by "elon rnusk will give you a thousand dollars if you tweet him your bank account number" scams

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

why the hell did they turn inventory off

to hide the fact that they were putting damaged, short-circuited battery modules into cars, and/or to try to play dumb when one inevitably explodes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what makes you think that tesla has any interest in following regulations?

this is the company that reported 200,000 $1000 fully refundable deposits as $200M revenue

the company that avoided painting hazardous areas in its factory yellow because elon doesn't like yellow

the company that shows its cars driving themselves hands-free in ads then adds some fine print in the EULA saying "actually you can't do that"

the company that makes its customers sign NDAs before performing warranty work, to avoid revealing how broken their cars are or conducting a recall

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

marvel too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msWdmxQbdQU&t=30s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Teslas engineers don't own cars because they all take the private buses from San Francisco

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DON'T
PUT
VIDEO
GAMES
IN
YOUR
DASHBOARD

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are you loving kidding

There's only one giant screen in the car, there is no way to ensure that only a passenger is playing, and because it's big and central it will always be a distraction

why not just hook it up to Netflix while you're at it, Lonny

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

Video game crash of 2018

This article is about the Tesla crash caused by Atari video games. For the industry crash caused by Atari video games, see Video game crash of 1983.

snort

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ready player one is "what if The Last Starfighter, but all of pop culture instead of just one video game"

armada is "what if The Last Starfighter"

like, that's it, it's just a 1:1 ripoff of that movie

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

it's...it's just the scene from Say Anything. There's no introspection, no interpretation. it's just a loving cut and paste

yes, that's what the entire book is. it's just "remember this thing? that was a thing. and remember this other thing? that was a thing too. oh and the same year as those things, remember this other thing? that also was a thing."

it's not even the really obscure stuff you'd think it is either. it's poo poo like "i named my ship Millennium Falcon, after Han Solo's ship from Star Wars"

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896?lang=en

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

somebody paid $75,000 for that and thinks they have a luxury car

don't post this in the ev thread, they think that a luxury car is either (1) any expensive car or (2) a car that the manufacturer tells you is a luxury car

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

maserati is going to loving die now that tesla has cornered the 'knows nothing about cars, has a lot of money and wants to spend it all on a vehicle that's not remotely worth it' market

this is exactly how i've always felt about maserati too, glad to know someone shares my opinion

"i don't know, or care to know, anything at all about cars, but whatever i buy had better be as expensive as a ferrari"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there have been several cases where a car publication has put a tesla on a racetrack to see how it stacks up, and inevitably the cars go into emergency battery cooling power-cut mode before they've even finished a single lap

if you do a ludicrous mode launch, which genuinely will get you up to 60mph in 2.5 seconds, you can't do it again for 10 minutes because the battery contactors need to cool down

in everything except a single brief spurt of juice followed by extensive recuperation, teslas are inferior to the competition

like elon