Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

orcinus posted:

Gedankenexperiment time.

Imagine there’s a fire, and the exit from a single-car-wide tunnel has collapsed.
There’s 50 cars in the tunnel.

How do they back out in an emergency?

How does a fire brigade or an ambulance reach a vehicle?

We’re going to find out. My bet is there will be a delay every other day due to wheel whomping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I hope they open it up to the public purely because someone will manage to flip their Tesla within about 20 minutes, slot car bumpers be damned.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Oh man. just imagine Tesla’s autopilot trying to navigate a fork in the tunnel at 150mph, or entry/exit points. That thing will be nothing but carnage the instant it’s open to the public. If it ever is.

E: V they tried to run a fast lap at the Nurburgring and it overheated within a minute and switched over to limp-home mode.

red19fire has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Dec 21, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

etalian posted:

lol at trying to sell people on the idea that brakes will last for the whole life of the car.

‘Never replace’ brake pads do exist, but they’re the biggest scam in the world. They’re so hard that they take material off the brake rotor, which has to be replaced at 5x the cost of new brake pads.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Oh my god I've never heard of something so dumb but now I am convinced like never before in my life that these are what Elon is talking about

It’s a symptom of people believing brake pads and other wear items are a scam by their mechanic. ‘what do you mean $700 for brake pads?!? I’ve only driven 60,000 miles!’ is how it starts.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Myron Baloney posted:

"But then, the point of this whole program is to incentivize owners to do their own selling, give their own test drives, and perhaps take a little bit of the work off Tesla’s hands in doing those things So if this is Tesla’s attempt to give some additional incentive for utilizing the “owner-salesman” network, it could work."

Counting on owners to push your poo poo while quality keeps dropping, sounds like a real and good strategy, definitely NOT just desperation to cut labor costs any way they can.

:lol: He’s just a few steps away from an MLM scam.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

I'm gonna repeat my prior suggestion of "Special Edison"

Special Edsel :v:

quote:

Ford invested heavily in a yearlong teaser campaign leading consumers to believe that the Edsel was the car of the future – an expectation it failed to meet. After it was unveiled to the public, it was considered to be unattractive, overpriced, and overhyped. The Edsel never gained popularity with contemporary American car buyers and sold poorly.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Would it be possible to sell or make after market suspension components for Tesla’s? Surely the kind of rube that would buy a model 3 could also be enticed to buy a wompy wheel replacement kit made of non-cast aluminum?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Going off memory, I just remember them being brown skinned and seemingly oiled up despite being at a war siege, and it was amazing.

Brown and oiled up, you say?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is it a decades-old scam used by a relatively young company, or a decades-old company that's been using the same scam for decades? Could be Tesla, could be Trump :v:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

he founded it but had the sense back then to actually hire on a bunch of good people

he was able to do that mostly because both bush and obama were slashing funding for NASA

Wait, I thought Musk just bought the company, and as part of his hostile takeover and Tony Stark PR campaign, made the actual founder change the founding documents to name Musk as cofounder? I know it was somewhere earlier in this thread. It’s part of the story of Elon as this dumb rich failson who just buys his way into this Savior Of Humanity grift.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

ill watch neither. all i remember about the coverage was a shitload of rich people being briefly exposed to the tamest version of mild, developed-world poverty and it becoming an international news event and high-profile class action lawsuit, and how it made me really glad i didn’t own a gun or have access to explosives. it’s probably not a state of mind that’s healthy for me to revisit.

‘My dad’s private jet landed and there wasn’t any champagne on the runway as promised and then the villa didn’t have air conditioning and we had to eat cold cut sandwiches.’

I just want to hear their bones crack.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I vaguely remember one of those blind items being about one of his Tesla plants having a full meth lab in it, and supposedly paid off the local sheriff. Which I guess means Elon finished Breaking Bad and is now watching Narcos.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

is also youtube star so prolly got internal priority over the shlubs

He’s yet another ‘filmmaker/director/creative’ on YouTube who only makes camera gear review videos.

He was also rightfully roasted on r/blackpeopletwitter for posting his own tweets as comedy gold.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The last claim to fame of Elon's AI was a DotA bot that completely broke after like 20 minutes playing the worst pro team.

Wasn’t there also some insane ruleset the human team had to abide by in order to make it ‘fair’ for the AI? Like the humans have to play as jaws and the computer gets to be oddjob. In goldeneye terms.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, they may not take ad revenue but I always got the impression they really wanted to like Tesla and were heavily baised in their favor. It wasn't until the issues reached the point where they were impossible to ignore that they were forced to withdraw the recommendation. They would mention some of the bad things, but downplay them.

My dad won’t buy a car unless it has a nigh-pristine rating from CR. It’s weird that they would give the model 3 a recommendation, because reliability is based on self-reports from Tesla owners and has to have a minimum of 3 years of data. But I guess since it was a new model, they piggyback the general reliability of other cars in the lineup and make a conjecture as to future reliability. :lol:

Like the Mini Cooper S was Not Recommended due to poor reliability despite being made by BMW. However, when the Honda Element came out it was almost immediately recommended, because every other car Honda makes has bulletproof reliability.

Personally I would bet on Tesla owners under-reporting repairs and flaws to CR and mashing the 5/5 LOVE THE CAR owner satisfaction column. IIRC my dad even said the CR article on the model 3 brushed off loose/missing bolts and terrible fit & finish as ‘growing pains’ of a new car company. Everything will be fixed with a firmware update so don’t worry about the door being crooked!

Even with the Tesla being hand picked, inspected and delivered by Tesla for their tests they still found f&f problems with it. Whereas every other car has to be in ‘average off-the-lot’ condition consumers can expect to find at a dealership. It’s like they got a D on a take home, open book test.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Eox posted:

yeah thats not weird at all

Qwijib0 posted:

all of CR's reliability scores are based on owners of those products self-reporting. How else would you source years' worth of data from a statistically significant percentage of a product made.

Yes, this is what I meant. CR subscribers self report on the cars they own every 6 months to a year: major repairs, f&f issues at purchase, reliability issues such as bringing it in for the same repair repeatedly, etc. I think it’s a survey card that comes with the first issue of the year.

I also think the model 3 report was skewed because the first one or two Tesla’s were actually well made luxury cars with great dealership support.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I’m the Tesla crash flowchart that only has two options for ‘car loses control and burns occupant alive’:

1. drunk
2. wheels fell off

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I know this is obvious but that line in that comic about it handling like a Ferrari is objectively and quantifiably incorrect and I loving hate these loving people. Your loving car is a loving pig that weighs more than most heavy duty work vehicles you loving rube.

I love the bazingas that gloss over Tesla’s having the worst performance ever at Nurburgring because they overheat and go into limp home mode after about 2 turns into a lap. Suddenly the only thing that matters is 0-60 times.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

The only tech they have worth a drat is the battery management poo poo that makes having thousands of vape batteries possible. Other manufacturers just skip the whole vape battery part. So yeh, all of their tech is absolutely worthless.

I thought their transmission system was supposed to be pretty great. Like, Tesla could have been a legit company if they had just patented the transmission/drivetrain technology and licensed it to other car manufacturers. But Phony Stark decided they should use that tech to build an entire car, and here we are.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TheDon01 posted:

Mazda B is gone
Sonoma's gone
Ranger is big now

Toyota tacoma and Nissan Frontier are still around tho.

aren’t they only in 4 door monster truck size nowadays? I had a 2 door frontier that was a tank, drove coast to coast nonstop in 4 days. Truly a car deserving of love.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Bushiz posted:

Maybe? whoever buys the husk of the company and it's assets might have an obligation to continue to provide service to existing cars for an amount of time, but it will likely become even more difficult to service. You could see a cottage industry pop up of people retrofitting teslas with commonly available (and more reliable) components, jailbreaking, and every other thing once the tesla servers are shut down (though knowing tesla, the server shut down will brick every tesla on earth)

Just imagine all the bazingas trying to solder thousands of vape batteries to refurbish their Tesla battery packs in 2-3 years and burning their houses down :classiclol:

However, if the Volvo batteries are user replaceable I bet there will be a movement towards adapting those instead. Or a cottage industry of replacing all the wompy wheel components and weak cast aluminum suspension parts.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Day Man posted:

There are a variety of electric motorcycles that cost less than 19k, too

Or, even a $4k motorcycle will out perform a Tesla in almost every respect, and you could keep it running basically forever with basic tools in your own garage. Also you can do wheelies and flick cigarettes at nerds in teslas :c00lbert:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Rorobb posted:

Just to throw some more gasoline on the speculation fire, I heard a really funny anecdote about Elon yesterday. 0% reason to believe this is true but it sounds right, so why not spread it.

One of my wife's good friends is married to a guy that's about to graduate from Harvard Business, and he was telling me yesterday that one of his old classmates worked in finance at Tesla - he has since left and apparently the morale of that team has been in the gutter for quite some time. Anyway, the story is that last summer (I think), Elon had become obsessed with the idea that everyone that worked at the company should understand how to assemble a Tesla. It was all he would want to talk about. Meanwhile, during a particularly bad few weeks, finance had set up an emergency meeting with Musk to get some direction on how to manage some problem (I don't remember the details). It was supposed to be a 3-4 hour meeting, and Musk shows up an hour late with a sliced open hand, bleeding everywhere. He doesn't say anything about it, and he just tries to ignore it and continue on with the meeting. Eventually, someone asks him about it because the bleeding doesn't stop, and he says he cut it open on the assembly line, trying to get a hands on lesson on assembling a car. They have to call an ambulance and get a doctor in to the office so the story doesn't get out.

No idea if this is true, and I tried and failed to find any pictures of him with a bandage on his hand, but it's still pretty funny, so I thought I would share.

This seems like something Elon would read about and try to instate in the most brain dead way possible. For example, up until recently it was tradition that the president of Leica cameras had to assemble a complete camera by hand and keep it on his desk. And possibly other members of the board did as well. I also remember a story about the president of Honda's motorcycle division who started as a lowly factory work celebrated his promotion by spending a day or so assembling a complete motorcycle and riding it around the factory.

The metaphor is about the guy at the top understanding what makes the product special and the work the employees put into making each product. Elon, as a detestable rich cocksucker, will never be like that.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Someone paraphrase the tweets for those of us without lightning fast twitter reflexes.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

Forget closing all the Tesla stores in a few weeks or months, they're doing it today

https://twitter.com/GreatPaulSmith/status/1102638828186099714?s=19

a bunch of these just opened in December too, with fresh leases and staff

There's a Tesla store in the rich-people mall near me, I should go see if that's been shuttered yet.

Also in case it hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/26727/tesla-had-3-times-as-many-osha-violations-as-the-10-largest-us-plants-combined

"Tesla had 3 times as many OSHA violations as the 10 largest US plants combined"

And remember that's just what Elon and his security goons have allowed to be reported :stare:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I'm no engineer, why does Tesla have a giant scoop dominating its undercarriage again?

I believe it’s part of the ‘aerodynamics’ package. But as explained above, it’s a flat panel that will bow in the middle if driven anywhere with precipitation. Once bowed it will scoop up water, dirt and debris which will rest against the frame and cause premature rust.

But hey, move fast and break things, right friends? I am loving the new business model. 3 year old model 3’s will rust apart faster than an old VW Beetle, so the buyer has no choice but to get a new one because doing otherwise would admit defeat.

Elon has once again revolutionized the auto industry, demand for new Model 3’s will be a constant.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Trip report: as suspected, the largest Tesla store inside the garden state plaza mall in north NJ is shuttered. There's a few teslas scattered inside the mall, and it looks like the store still has the cars inside. I wonder what will happen to them.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Internet-only sales for a car is so dumb. I guess I could understand shuttering your brick & mortar store if you're getting crushed by amazon. But the test drive is such an intrinsic part of the car buying process. Is he really banking on people buying these cars sight unseen?

I wonder if ol' musky will demand his acolytes make their cars available to test drive for anyone who's interested. Like Lyft, but for test driving teslas.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

My stock ticker says Tesla is up 1% to 278 today, so I guess this announcement is somehow clawing back lost value? Isn't laying off everyone you can profit pumping 101 though? No way this can be sustainable. But how many years have we been saying that by now? Hell dimension is relentlessly unfair.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I think a fun meme for Elon would be to use his dad’s apartheid blood jewels to pay off the debts of his detractors.

You hear that Elon? I WOULD BE TOTALLY OWNED if $18k’s worth of rubies showed up in the mail.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FCKGW posted:

*3rd row seating only available to children under the age of 5

This is like the Porsche rear passenger seats that are essentially useless if you’re taller than 5’2”.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

80% parts commonality- with the undeliverable models 3 that are sitting out in the desert

the new 20% is all the defective parts replaced with new defective parts

In the coming apocalypse, the Tesla dorks are going to be like Burgess Meredith in that twilight zone episode where he breaks his glasses. Surrounded by spare parts they can't use, and don't have the mechanical aptitude to install if they could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Tesla Thread: autopilot: take my wife, please!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but HBO has a new documentary on Theranos, if you’re in need of a Silicon Valley crash & burn story.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The last time I saw an LCD display leak was a Tiger Electronics bowling game I left on the dashboard of my parents car on a 100 degree day.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Maybe instead of running a second company into the ground, Ol' Musky should focus on proving his child size waterproof coffin can make it all the way through those caves in Thailand, as promised.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I think it’s an urban legend but I remember something about Japanese tourists crashing rental cars in the 80s because ‘cruise control’ was poorly translated to automatic pilot. One story in particular was a guy putting an RV on cruise on a straight highway, then going to sleep in the back, and the RV flipping over an embankment when it finally hit a curve.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

an actual frog posted:

Am I seeing things or does it get confused and hesitate here? Is that it just losing traction because :lol: either way

The future, indeed

Poor Tesla, saw a random streak of mud on the road and killed everyone inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

because musk hasnt killed a senators brother yet

We need to figure out how to convince trumpito that he can own the libs by having his lovely kids driven around in teslas with autopilot on 24/7.