Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
We have no idea who's inside.

https://www.livescience.com/63027-mmassive-egyptian-sarcophagus-mystery.html

quote:

A massive black granite sarcophagus and a sculpture of a man who may be buried inside have been discovered in a tomb in Alexandria, Egypt.

The granite sarcophagus looks foreboding: It's nearly 9 feet long, 5 feet wide and 6 feet tall (2.7 by 1.5 by 1.8 meters). And, it may be the largest sarcophagus ever discovered in Alexandria, said Mostafa Waziri, general secretary of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, in a statement released by Egypt's antiquities ministry.

A thick layer of mortar covers much of the sarcophagus, suggesting that it has not been opened since it was buried, Waziri said in the statement. As such, the person buried in the sarcophagus, along with any clothing or jewelry they wore and any artifacts they were buried with, may still be intact, waiting to be discovered.

Also there is a featureless alabaster head

Personally I think we should open the giant black Egyptian sarcophagus, and maybe also mock the featureless alabaster head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm actually glad it's granite and not basalt

Nothing good has ever come out of a giant black basalt sarcophagus. The record is mum on granite.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

If something ancient and deathless rises from this tomb and declares itself the Pharaoh of The World, I vote we give it a chance. We really can't just assume it would be worse than what we've got going now.

A vote for Pharaoh of the World is a vote for stability and good governance

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

See you get everyone all excited and then when it's just some guy who's been dead for 4000 years everyone is disappointed. You need to temper your expectations.

No game designer would ever put a massive black granite sarcophagus into a level, next to a featureless alabaster head no less, and have it just be some old dead jamoke inside

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I'm torn on the subject. If the mummy wizard awakens other ancient creatures of myth and nightmare, brings magic back into the world, ends the Age of Reason, and brings mankind's reign over this Earth to an end, then we won't have an internet anymore.

I'm not hearing a downside

e: aw, poo poo, I shoulda used the I Want To Believe tag

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 11, 2018

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Myron Baloney posted:

That was my first thought. Alexander's body was moved from Memphis to Alexandria during the date range they're attributing to the site. That would be something, to finally find him.

All kidding about the massive black sarcophagus and accompanying featureless alabaster head aside, that would be very cool if it was the case. How many really famous ancient people are there that we know exactly where their bones are?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

Wait until it’s X-ray’d and they find out the sarcophagus is lined with lead.

The only thing worse than mummies is atomic mummies.

fe: BRB registering my band name at the registorium as "atomic mummies"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I hope this isn't some stupid loving Assassin's Creed arg

The news was originally reported on the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities' facebook page, and those guys are serious as a heart attack.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Caganer posted:

would we all be so concerned if it was a *white* sarcophagus? HMMMMMMM?

Well, I'm also pretty concerned about the featureless alabaster head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

What I wanted: Alexander the Great, a hideous ancient curse

What I got: crappy skeletons and a featureless alabaster head

• Locked thread