Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems like the day after The Purge could get pretty awkward. I mean, you killed a few of your coworkers and now they won't be coming into work anymore (because they are dead). Now you have to work OT and are going to have to work several Saturdays in a row!

Also, your wife broke into the neighbors houses and stole their TVs and let their horses out. Now it's super awkward going out to get the paper off the driveway in the morning! Can't even look your neighbor in the eye now!

Seems like a loophole into The Purge plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I havent seen these movies cause its the kind of thing a coworker who listens to korn would be into

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Who cleans up all the bodies the day after?

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
"Hello everyone, happy monday morning"

"Oh look, its Jon who raped that heron"

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the Real Purge is just a thing you do once, you can't make a holiday out of it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The year long feast probably?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It's considered impolite to remark upon anything done during the purge.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The people who do all the murdering and raping during the purge are such chumps. The pros just sit in a bunker and infringe intellectual property, commit fraud etc.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'd gently caress Kayne West.

Just to piss him off.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

the purge sounds like a really good opportunity for assisted suicide, so I think probably nothing happens after

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
You sit around taunting the family of the poor bastards you killed, abused and tortured. I mean, it's not a CRIME, is it, for me to just get on the same bus as them every single day and smile at them, make a faux scared expression and then make a gesture with my hands...

Then, when they finally snap and attack you, the law makes it so crimes committed the other 364 days of the year are punished severely, so you get to smile with the grieving family is arrested and put in jail for the next several years for trying to kill you/beat the poo poo out of you.

Then, the day before the next purge, you leave town, denying the rest of their family the satisfaction of getting revenge. Then you come back and call them up with a, "Oh, hey guys, I guess you missed me last night. Well, better luck next year."

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

It ain't awkward cuz it's the purge baby!

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems like the day after The Purge could get pretty awkward. I mean, you killed a few of your coworkers and now they won't be coming into work anymore (because they are dead). Now you have to work OT and are going to have to work several Saturdays in a row!

Shoulda killed your boss.

quote:

Also, your wife broke into the neighbors houses and stole their TVs and let their horses out. Now it's super awkward going out to get the paper off the driveway in the morning! Can't even look your neighbor in the eye now!

Shoulda killed your neighbors.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think you miss the point of the movies that the only people who actually do much enthusiastic purging and don't get purged themselves in the process are the rich and the army, everyone else mostly just emerges from their fortified homes if they didn't get burnt down.

Also probably lots of spousal and child murder.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Probably a lot of drug possession and conspiracy to commit [whatever] charges for the people who didn't commit spontaneous, random crimes during the Purge. Planning to kill someone is still illegal, even if it's legal the day you do it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I too read the reddit OP.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Colonel Cancer posted:

The people who do all the murdering and raping during the purge are such chumps. The pros just sit in a bunker and infringe intellectual property, commit fraud etc.

Depending on how easy it would be to do without getting purged, I think I’d just spend my purge time collecting and storing cocaine and various other drugs for the rest of the year. I’d be like a squirrel, but with drugs.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Depending on how easy it would be to do without getting purged, I think I’d just spend my purge time collecting and storing cocaine and various other drugs for the rest of the year. I’d be like a squirrel, but with drugs.

this would still be illegal the rest of the year

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

did you somehow miss the one idea the movies have?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd stand next to a No Loitering sign all day, littering. :colbert:

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
I'd own a mattress store and remove the do not remove tags!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'd park in a 30-minute parking space for 31 minutes :c00l:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

luchajones posted:

Yeah, if anything you should be doing a year's worth of drugs in that one day.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Yeah it seems like there would just be lots of revenge killings all year round. It’s almost like the purge is a bad idea.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Isaac posted:

I havent seen these movies cause its the kind of thing a coworker who listens to korn would be into

only the first one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think you miss the point of the movies that the only people who actually do much enthusiastic purging and don't get purged themselves in the process are the rich and the army, everyone else mostly just emerges from their fortified homes if they didn't get burnt down.

Also probably lots of spousal and child murder.

yeah the purge was specifically set up to get rid of undesirables and normal people partook in it so rarely they had to get army squads out to slaughter people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

only the first one.

yeah the purge was specifically set up to get rid of undesirables and normal people partook in it so rarely they had to get army squads out to slaughter people.

IIRC The First Purge and a few others are literally a 'government death squads set out to murder black people and liberals under the cover of a free-for-all'.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The thing that bugs me the most about those movies is whenever they show someone wearing a scary mask they do that head tilt thing. That's not scary. Stop putting it in every horror movie ever made where people wear a mask.

Also I don't know why the non-poors would spend so much on security systems when they could just book a vacation somewhere that doesn't have the purge instead. Your house might get ransacked but at least you won't be raped+murdered.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

luchajones posted:

Blast of Confetti posted:

did you somehow miss the one idea the movies have?

I’ve never seen the movies. I just want a stockpile of drugs, that’s all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The thing that bugs me the most about those movies is whenever they show someone wearing a scary mask they do that head tilt thing. That's not scary. Stop putting it in every horror movie ever made where people wear a mask.

Also I don't know why the non-poors would spend so much on security systems when they could just book a vacation somewhere that doesn't have the purge instead. Your house might get ransacked but at least you won't be raped+murdered.

I'm p sure the USA is a pariah state at that point.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm p sure the USA is a pariah state at that point.

Foreign countries still allow their own citizens to travel there though, in one of them some people were visiting from europe just to participate in it, so they at least kind of condone it. Surely there would be at least some countries that would allow you to apply for temporary asylum.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC The First Purge and a few others are literally a 'government death squads set out to murder black people and liberals under the cover of a free-for-all'.

i haven't seen first purge but election year has evangelicals sacrificing people in a church, rich whites doing a most dangerous game type thing with spectators (which is interrupted by the rainbow coalition resistance army), and the pro-purge party/new founding fathers are very obviously the republicans.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

one of the movies (the third i think???) has a subplot where government-sponsored gangs round up poor people and sell them at auction for the rich to hunt. there's another where a terminally ill guy sells himself so that his family won't have to pay for his medical expenses

im not a fan of the movies, but the series doesn't hide that the purge is dumb and overtly regressive

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

one of the movies (the third i think???) has a subplot where government-sponsored gangs round up poor people and sell them at auction for the rich to hunt. there's another where a terminally ill guy sells himself so that his family won't have to pay for his medical expenses

im not a fan of the movies, but the series doesn't hide that the purge is dumb and overtly regressive

most people who see it in my experience don't get that message from them at all. They just say "hmm yes why don't we actually do this, this is badass".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a bummer the movies aren't very good because they're some of the only satire that gets our politics right. only ones i can think of off the top of my head.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

most people who see it in my experience don't get that message from them at all. They just say "hmm yes why don't we actually do this, this is badass".

which is hilarious because the only way they could be more obvious is if they literally called them republicans. guess it's a starship troopers situation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's basically a metaphor for capitalism and how it presents the illusion for a free-for-all where anyone has a chance but in reality the wealthy have all the power and it's nothing but an excuse for them to exploit everyone else for literal fun and profit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/strugglesesh/status/1018159157009047552

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

my main experience with the purge movies is people trying to poke holes in the premise by pointing out the exact same problems that the movies repeatedly hammer in the least subtle ways imaginable

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean it's a super-conservative religious fanatic fascist government, p sure anyone who manages to kill someone important purge or no purge is hunted down and executed on whatever pretense anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Binge

• Locked thread