Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Soricidus posted:

"just give them on error resume next. i'm sure everyone will definitely check the err object at appropriate times instead of just taking it as carte blanche to ignore everything and hope for the best"

also the meeting at golang world headquarters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arcsech posted:

you’re living the dream

I went from telecom in the Midwest with a company of 35 to Electric Vehicle Service Equipment in SoCal with a growing company of 98 that just closed series B and has contracts with 23 fortune 100 companies including Amazon.

Also, I now have a full team of, continuous integration, unit tests, coding standards, processes, documentation, and a boss that, so long as the work is complete, don't give a poo poo how few hours I work. (I average around 30 a week.)

I am quite happy right now.

Unfortunately; I have a feeling that I won't be sharing any more anecdotes about the Ex-Company. There is only one ex-coworker left that I talk too, but it's not on a regular basis. More than likely the company will either sell itself or start selling its Ballards to other companies and stop making its products.

Part of me is a bit sad, from a personal pride level. It’s always neat to have your product out in the wild. I worked hard on it, and there is a lot of excellent and innovative code in it. The architecture was clean, and the security is quite remarkable. The product was just underfunded and needed at least three full-time software engineers to make the product shine, but that would have required competent management.

Oh well. I learned a fantastic amount there; not just programming and systems management wise, but also about how not to manage a business and employees.

I also feel like I lost the last bit of the nativity I had when it came to being a company man. Thanks to the current company, I have a lot more self-respect, and will gladly walk a lot sooner if things ever start to go sideways.

Hopefully, I can pass these experiences off to my kids, as they are 18, 18, and 21, and shouldn't have to go through the stress, depression, and anxiety I endured to learn all of this. :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ratbert90 posted:

Hopefully, I can pass these experiences off to my kids, as they are 18, 18, and 21, and shouldn't have to go through the stress, depression, and anxiety I endured to learn all of this. :v:

A CJ who let he own children grow up to be CJs. A shameful CJ.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Jabor posted:

What the hell sort of "unit tests" are you writing that you need to have them interact with a database?

I'm not sure I got back to this one but basically;

- I want to be able to test schema changes
- I want to make sure that said schema changes do not break my queries, for instance, conversion of column type int to bigint
- I call them unit tests because my application can interact with several types of databases (poorly!) so each one is tested as their own unit!

perhaps there is some way of doing all that w/o having an actual database but I can't think of one that wouldn't be more work than simply starting a database up

but this is for one of my hobby projects and not a huge enterprise application

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

pokeyman posted:

also the meeting at golang world headquarters

golang error handling is so terrible if you're thinking about writing something in golang think extremely long and hard about how much error checking you want because this one attribute of the language might be enough to put you off

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

elite_garbage_man posted:

One thing I like about Java is the great mocking libraries available. It blows my mind that poo poo like that isn't anywhere close to what we have for C++. More often than not it ends up being "Just make every function virtual lol"

To be fair this is exactly what Java did.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

abigserve posted:

- I want to make sure that said schema changes do not break my queries, for instance, conversion of column type int to bigint
- I call them unit tests because my application can interact with several types of databases (poorly!) so each one is tested as their own unit!

perhaps there is some way of doing all that w/o having an actual database but I can't think of one that wouldn't be more work than simply starting a database up

those don't sound like unit tests at all

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

abigserve posted:

those are integration tests. there's nothing wrong with integration tests and they often have more value than unit tests, especially with code that is difficult to unit test.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

"should we implement all visual basic's error handling modes?"
"nah, the ones that branch to an error handling subroutine like try/catch in other languages are too complicated, just give them on error resume next. i'm sure everyone will definitely check the err object at appropriate times instead of just taking it as carte blanche to ignore everything and hope for the best"
-- the meeting where microsoft put as much effort into designing vbscript as netscape put into designing javascript
Not that removing the other options would improve anything, but error handling is literally the worst thing about legacy vb. On error goto is terrible compared to try/catch.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

abigserve posted:

golang error handling is so terrible if you're thinking about writing something in golang think extremely long and hard about how much error checking you want because this one attribute of the language might be enough to put you off

go error handling is fine albeit super verbose

handling panics in early versions was hot garbage especially since places in the stdlib and a whole bunch of 3rd party libraries used to use it liberally

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I would settle for just "some tests" tbh. like any, any tests would be an improvement.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

those are integration tests. there's nothing wrong with integration tests and they often have more value than unit tests, especially with code that is difficult to unit test.

i'll start calling 'em that then!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yeah tests are pretty great tbh

abigserve posted:

i'll start calling 'em that then!

cool beans

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah tests are pretty great tbh

sometimes

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

go error handling is so bad I will and have turned down job opportunities that otherwise could have been very nice because they use go.

it's some braindead poo poo.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MononcQc posted:

go error handling is so bad I will and have turned down job opportunities that otherwise could have been very nice because they use go.

it's some braindead poo poo.

Literally me right now

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mystes posted:

Not that removing the other options would improve anything, but error handling is literally the worst thing about legacy vb. On error goto is terrible compared to try/catch.

yeah, it’s very bad compared to most of the alternatives. I have written horrors in vba, many years ago. I remember how bad it could be.

it is, however, very definitely better than on error resume next.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

a ton of smart people have worked hard to make javascript usable in a browser. it’s much better than it used to be and it’s amazing what’s been accomplished.

but there are exactly 0 reasons to execute javascript outside your browser, there are so many better options. the only javascript you should execute outside your browser is your flavor of webpack, and even that should have been written in a good language.

typescript is the best language to write serverless stuff in, by a lot

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
terraform is pretty cool but the fact that any custom providers need to be written in Go is a significant black mark on it

double that mark for me since I taught myself Go in order to write a custom provider for it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

vbscript is unironically better than javascript

i don't believe you actually believe this

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ThePeavstenator posted:

terraform is pretty cool

is it though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

the talent deficit posted:

typescript is the best language to write serverless stuff in, by a lot

this says more about serverless than it does about javascript

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I would rather people write unnecessary tests and test the language bullshit than at a previous job, where they wrote zero tests and regularly deployed poo poo that straight up didn't work.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Beamed posted:

is it though

it's good but requires the user to understand it's mechanics at too low a level imo

by default it stores the statefile in a directory called .terraform in the working directory. it stores everything unencrypted in a json blob in said directory, including poo poo like keys that you have to pass every run anyway.

naturally this makes it trivially easy to accidentally check into version control - other developers may force or at least warn the client that hey, perhaps best to store state remotely or at least somewhere else on disk not in the working directory, when it runs. But hashicorp went a different route with it.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I would settle for just "some tests" tbh. like any, any tests would be an improvement.

still holding out hope that i will someday work on a team that has 1 or more tests on their code before i start there

handle
Jan 20, 2011

is there an article for dummies about analyzing simple hashing schemes?

related: holy poo poo i finished microcorruption. time to retry cryptopals I guess!!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
this whole discussion is moot because in 12-18 months webassm and Blazor will be taking over everything and all the js devs will be making GBS threads themselves at having to learn c# (which won't actually be that bad because c# is super easy to learn)

*this is my headcanon don't ruin it*

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Finster Dexter posted:

this whole discussion is moot because in 12-18 months webassm and Blazor will be taking over everything and all the js devs will be making GBS threads themselves at having to learn c# (which won't actually be that bad because c# is super easy to learn)

there'll be a JS library for this don't you worry

actually lets have three equal but subtly different libraries for it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

well looks like I'm the only person that tried to actually build our internal libraries for like, 5+ years because so far every single one has been targeting dotnet 3 or lower and they all fail when the latest versions of their own dependencies are added

super bonus annoyance: a service component that is actively used builds but does nothing, why? turns out that the logger code caught and ignored exceptions encountered while logging "incase the log dB is down" so if you encountered a fatal error in the logger it would just sit in a "running" state doing nothing forever!

and the actual error? "dependent library x threw an exception of invalid method :suicide:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boiled Water posted:

there'll be a JS library for this don't you worry

actually lets have three equal but subtly different libraries for it

undefined.js, null.js, and ... uh ... ok i didn't think this joke through

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Soricidus posted:

undefined.js, null.js, and ... uh ... ok i didn't think this joke through

- brendan eich, 1995

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
god why couldn’t it have been jwz

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Leck posted:

still holding out hope that i will someday work on a team that has 1 or more tests on their code before i start there

test cases last modified january 1998

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

oh my god I really want to like the idea of Blazor now I've seen it.

Is the idea that it removes the need to integrate piles of ajax event handlers etc to do call out to a controller when doing anything dynamic on the page? how does that work with regards to accessing objects/properties from an event without reverting to the equivalent of viewstate?

edit: or I could just, you know, read the docs and figure it out. I hope they fixed razors lovely error checking where it will only tell you there's a problem when you hit the page and juts barf a massive stack about a rogue comma

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 14, 2019

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
c# owns and i wish it was used more outside of line of biz coding because i really want to get out of line of biz coding

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh my god they're officially including blazor (now called razor components) in asp.net core 3.0.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rip in piss javascript

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
C# would be cool except lol if you develop on Windows or deploy to windows or have to work with people who willingly do either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would suck to not be able to afford windows and to have to use a Linux.