Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

To come so far by myself, only to die at the eleventh hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Also: I called clord being scum day 2

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I am a mafia genius.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I am a mafia genius.

:yeah:

Unironically, you managed to navigate your way to the absolute end of the game with one (semi-)teammate dying N1 and the other, prospective teammate getting caught in a fakeclaim thanks to Hal's role. That's pretty impressive!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

So yeah, as Usurper I lightly bussed anarc to start with, then popcon happened and it became "she dies or I die" (I only did not leave scumchat because I needed to know what they were doing with their actions to not accidentally jail on top of the kill, I completely stopped talking in it) and then Soda replaced in and I figured the best way to fulfill my wincon is to keep pushing on her until she didn't flip, then a second day was spent on her to vote her, and I could ride that town cred. I just couldn't believe people let her go for so long.

I tunnel way, way too much as scum though. Whenever I come back to mafia (CPig FF 8?), I will have to be better about that.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GeneX posted:

:yeah:

Unironically, you managed to navigate your way to the absolute end of the game with one (semi-)teammate dying N1 and the other, prospective teammate getting caught in a fakeclaim thanks to Hal's role. That's pretty impressive!

:agreed: huma did amazing

3p survivor wanderer should have set off like, all the alarm bells in my head, but when he posted it I was just like "yeah ok, makes sense" for multiple game days

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
To this day, yuming the lonely doctor still wanders the land, providing their vast medical expertise to themselves and only themselves.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Good game everyone!

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Also for the record. Someone claims hider at mylo/lylo they are lying to you, TIA

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

this should have tipped me off that you were a fakeclaim

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Also for the record. Someone claims hider at mylo/lylo they are lying to you, TIA

:agreed:

I had planned on claiming hider from the beginning of the game but then of course never breadcrumbed it, :rip:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

chaoslord posted:

:agreed:

I had planned on claiming hider from the beginning of the game but then of course never breadcrumbed it, :rip:

You pulled through though :golfclap:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Good game everyone!

Beasts all over the shop!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mr. Humalong posted:

It's rare but like I said in the game, the last time I was a hider, that was my role (I call it Hider-B). I feel like the time before that I was a hider, I was Hider-B, too, but I can't find that game.

But the bigger tip off is, like AA said, that is what uncreative people like myself come up with when having to make up a reason for possible failures in a game where youre a jailer.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
i was doCK

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I avenged your death :sun:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Gaspy you totally had me fooled. I protected you!

Humalong I protected you too. I thought Sal picked up on this and was trying to bait me out. I should've just full claimed.

Good job everyone, this game was really cool. Thanks GeneX.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Humalong posted:

To me, a Hider hides behind someone and any action that would have happened to Hider happens to the person they are hiding behind, except if the Hider is targeted by the NK, then both the Hider and the person he is hiding behind dies.

A Commuter is someone who leaves the thread every night and can't be targeted.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
hooray, thanks for the game genex.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Yay nice job clord. Go wolfies! Thanks AS for stepping in for me and sorry to GX and everyone else for not being engaged and replacing out. This setup was super interesting and I wish I would have just specced from the start.

no worries!

also nice work humalong, i was super annoyed when you lived after my non lunch

sorry aa

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Thank you so much GeneX for running this game, loved the balanced chaos.

Also huge shoutout to Soda and Clord who made up just the chillest scum team ever. Every day was just fantastic and so much fun.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I killed the worst possible player but I enjoyed my fakeclaim title so there was that!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

this was a fun game to watch thanks gx! thanks y'all.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Meh, led lunches on people against my objectives every day and lost anyway.

Impossible for town players to win this.

Which is fine, just wish I'd rolled scum!

Thanks for running it GX

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Natural 20 posted:

Meh, led lunches on people against my objectives every day and lost anyway.

Impossible for town players to win this.

Which is fine, just wish I'd rolled scum!

Thanks for running it GX

Uh huh

I enjoyed being in this game for 6 hours.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Max posted:

Uh huh

I enjoyed being in this game for 6 hours.

:same:

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

TMMadman posted:

I was so waiting for people to discuss the werewolf usurper on the day AA got lynched, but nobody seemed to really bring it up.

Like, the case against ANarc while it might have been genuine, it should have also caused people to look at it as a bus given the 2 usurper roles that had flipped for the other 2 factions.
I wanted to but the hammer came before I got to post again :sparkles:

I was going to use it in a final case against chaoslord. I should’ve trusted my suspicion of gaspy that remanined throughout the game. But the discussion was not a good dialogue for towns at the end and that really hurt any chance we had to win. I almost spite protected chaoslord last night so he would die with me if I got lynched. I need to be more confident and write better cases.

Did all town have to kill all scum? The mafia were dead so I thought I had won already and was gonna try and appeal to Nat20 to kill Humalong the next game day with that since they were obvs the militaries threat.

Thanks for the game!

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

chaoslord posted:

There was a lot of "Right But For The Wrong Reasons" and this may be the first time it's ever frustrated me, ha.

The case I made against Anarc/Soda is 100% the case I would have made as a town players. My question to sos and others were genuine because although I knew about the Werewolves I didn't know what else was going on in the game and I really wanted to know. So yuming kept reading things wrongly but coming to the right conclusion and I just wanted to scream haha.
I thought your frustration seemed genuine but at that point I was pretty confident you were scum.

I think my biggest mistake was pushing 3P over Anarc when she was first up for the vote.

I'm not sure how I could've made a better case against you (it didn't help that no one seemed to be listening except scum Humalong at that point.) I was gonna case you as traitor and say your behavior in thread matched that and that it was a double safe case to hang you hat on because you knew she'd live once. I also thought the lack of want to solve the game in the final days was scummy and I said as much. Town have weird multi-ideas more where scum just have one and, as you said yourself, tunnel it.

I did think I had won already though since the mafs were dead!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Thanks GenX for the role insanity! Hal, you're welcome ;)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

fwiw SCUMMERHAWKE and bscummus are probs most def bad dudes

*heartily laughing and patting myself on the back*

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Yuming it was nice to play with you again. Come to the discord so we can hang out!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
congrats to the winners also

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Good game everyone. What a crazy setup!

My win condition was basically impossible but that wasn't really the point of this game, so it was fun anyways.

Also, you all should join my new game for The Fifth Element which is a large 23 player game and needs lots of players!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I’ll say much more later, and much more formally, but I think one thing to take note of from this is that even if everyone is roughly similar in win possibility (very roughly, sure, but I’ve had people from like half the alignments talk about being unable to win, which is a bit nonsensical!), if that possibility is too low, players need to be made aware that they aren’t alone in it — or, failing that, the game needs to be redone. Feeling hopeless disincentivizes good play, even beyond it running counter to the hypothetical goal of any mafia game (eg players having fun.)

Mechanical balance isn’t enough in and of itself, in other words, and player psychology needs to be considered too. I was a bit too focused on innovation and lost sight of that, and can only apologize and attempt to do better in the future.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

GeneX posted:

Mechanical balance isn’t enough in and of itself, in other words, and player psychology needs to be considered too. I was a bit too focused on innovation and lost sight of that, and can only apologize and attempt to do better in the future.

Yeah, from a design perspective, I try to look at win conds through the lens of "agency" : Its OK if a win condition is really difficult as long as the player feels like they have some coherent way to work towards that. An example being a SK that has to kill everybody; this is really hard and that player may have less than a 5% chance of victory but at least its clear what they need to try to do to win: prioritize their own survival and try their best to navigate becoming too high of a target for a lynch or a NK.

Hal's win-cond was a good example of an odd victory condition but one that he could clearly work towards in an obvious way.

Contrast with my fanatic win-cond: I do have a very powerful ability as a busdriver/doctor but how well can I really use that to ensure that all the non-military players are eliminated? If I find out the other military members (which I did), I can try to keep them safe, but what tools do I have to eliminate others? Especially in a late-game scenario. I can't communicate privately with military members and if I'm overt about whats going on in the thread I'll just get lynched or killed. Just start lynching non-mil I guess, and hope once the killing roles are all gone, military outnumber everyone else and then I can just come clean about whats going on?

I'm not trying to be critical with these point since as a player I can basically just ignore my win-cond and play as if I'm just town/military and maybe just kind of see what happens but I only bring them up so they can be considered in future roles. It didn't impact my enjoyment of the game, because odd-ball roles often have agency issues, and sometimes you just have to accept that in the service of unique setups.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I had a plan to post a picture of Gandalf near the end of day 1 or 2 and then use my power. Then come back three game days later.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Just sayin' I had the setup absolutely nailed D2 (or was it D3?)

Also jesus gaspy you played your scumminess well. I was never sure with you.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Dick Bastardly posted:

Thanks GenX for the role insanity! Hal, you're welcome ;)

Thank you buddy! At first I was like man this could be a hard role but then you claimed and I was like YESSSSSSSSSSSSs

Fun reading along after I died, I haven't seen a game with so many factions before but it was cool to see it all play out

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I told yall Chaoslord was no good and also gently caress you Hal.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

soscannonballs posted:

I told yall Chaoslord was no good and also gently caress you Hal.

lol sorry buddy I just always want to help town even when I am 3p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

lol sorry buddy I just always want to help town even when I am 3p

some mafia savant in the game probably would have figured it out from reading my flip and looking back anyway

• Locked thread