Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Halycon City! A bustling metropolis home to millions. Gleaming skyscrapers and soaring monuments dot the city. Ships from all around the globe call at it's ports, it's said that all roads eventually lead to Halycon and that you can find anything and everything there. Home to thousands of metahumans. It's heroes are icons, living legends and admired the world over. The greatest of those Heroes were the Sentinels a team made up of the best of the best. These stalwart heroes protected Halycon for decades seeing the city safely through alien invasions, supervillian attacks, and reality warping catastrophes. Until six months ago when they finally faced their deadliest foe yet. Themselves.

It started off innocuously, A portal opened in the central business district and an army marched out. A threat to a normal city perhaps but a typical Tuesday in Halycon. Quickly the cities heroes mobilised to counter the new threat when they were greeted by something unexpected. The invading army was not some alien horde. They were human. And worse than that their leaders were metahumans themselves. Twisted doppelgangers of the cities mightiest heroes alike only in strength. For months the heroes battled their dark mirrors across the city, Eventually our heroes were successful and pushed their doppelgangers back through the portals. Following in pursuit the heroes chased them through. Hours later the portals closed behind them.

That was six weeks ago. Since then there has been no sign of the Sentinels or their evil twins. No portals have reopened and a shell-shocked city has began to rebuild. However with the cities mightiest heroes gone villains have begun to take advantage of their new opportunities caused by the downfall of their staunchest foes. It's time for a new generation of heroes to step forward and protect the city in it's hour of need. It's time for you and your friends to make a difference.

What's this?

It's Masks! Be a messed up teenage hero. Fight supervillians today, agonise about your pimples tomorrow. Step up and save the day when no one else can!

Boring Game Stuff
  • I'm looking for 4-6 players.
  • Plan is for the game to be run on discord where shorter more frequent posts will be preferred to keep things moving.
  • Recruitment will be open about a week until the 4th August. Although as always this is subject to change based on levels of interest.
  • All playbooks are welcome including the LE ones.

Character Creation
In addition to answering your playbook questions. Please include a picture of your hero and answer the following questions.

Which of the Sentinels did you most look up to and why?
Tell me an interesting fact about them

If you have any questions or need help with character creation hit me up on Discord and I may be able to help. Server is :siren:Here:siren:

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Anna Corwin/Troubleshooter, the Janus!

Hello. Yes, I'm Anna Corwin. Yes, the daughter of the owner of the billion dollar company Corwin Tech.

He isn't available for interview--

Wait, me? I'm not that--

Oh! Like that. I see. Sorry, I'm... just a little bit tired.

quote:

When did you first put on the mask? Why?

Two months ago. I had the power before then, but I wasn't too much into superheroics at the time. I mostly just used it to make my life a little bit easier. Electricity's pretty good at keeping me awake, and all. Doesn't last forever, sadly. Sometimes even I have to sleep. Anyhow, I didn't really use it to actually fight anyone until then.

That changed when a supervillain attacked our workplace. A guy with water powers wanted to steal some classified technology, and wasn't going to let civilians get into their way like that. He was actively hurting people. People I worked with every day. People I ate lunch with.

Until that point, when I heard about supervillains, I thought "Thank god we have superheroes". I never felt inclined to go out there and fight. But at that moment, something just... changed. I understood how other superheroes must have felt when they started out. And well...

The guy never had a chance against my power. I got lucky, really. I had the best possible matchup for my first fight as a superhero.

quote:

Why do you keep a secret identity?

Because I'm the heiress to one of the most profitable companies on the planet. It's that simple. My father would never, ever allow this if he knew about this. I'm supposed to be out there making connections with other influental people, keeping my grades up, and working for the company. Not getting hurt in fights against dangerous supervillains.

My father's company is so influental, it even became the main supplier of gear for AEGIS a few years ago. I even wrote the code for a few of those things, most notably the newest batch of seeker drones. AEGIS even tried to recruit me to their team once or twice, but I've declined. Must be doing a good job if they are, but trying to sneak out of THAT would be close to impossible.

But... it's not entirely selfish, really. Considering our wealth, my family is already a bit of a target. If people were to know that I'm also a superhero?

It could get really nasty.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?

My aunt, Emmy Corwin.

She and I get along really well, and I take every change to hang out with her I can get. (Mostly to relax...)

I finally had worked up the courage to tell her, but surprisingly enough, she had it figured out almost immediately. "Were you in a fight?" she asked. I just responded how she had known.

She pointed at my shoulder. "You were trying to avoid putting weight on it." she answered. "I have... experience in this field, you know."

I was pretty surprised to hear that, but also relieved. Aunt Emmy has been giving me pointers ever since, and covered for me more than once. She's been really helpful!

quote:

Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

That would be... my dad. I do understand him, but... it doesn't feel great.

See, he's been doing a lot to denounce Troubleshooter, as in my hero identity. Because he sees her as a massive security risk.

Which, honestly, I am. If I wanted to, I could pull off some serious espionage with this power. And considering he's doing contract work for some top secret agencies like AEGIS, I entirely get where he's coming from.

I just wish he wouldn't make my job so much harder. Sometimes I just want to tell him, but... I can't.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Honestly?

I'm kinda lonely. Most of my time is spent on events with people that are all a lot older than I am, at work where there's distance due to my father's status, or in a private school with a bunch of smug idiots who think they're the best.

I don't have a lot of time to just... be a teenager. It's why I got into videogames in the first place, but it's a poor replacement for real human contact.

quote:

Gunslinger!

Doesn't look like it, but she was actually really smart, and built her own guns. Gunslinger was pretty much the definition of "when all you have is a hammer", and made sure her "hammer" solved all problems instead. She had an insane amount of foresight and adaptability. I honestly admire that so much more than raw power. Anyone can be a flying brick, her style was pretty unique.

I based my taser guns on one of her older designs that went public.

She's also really hot...

quote:

I'm not entirely certain that the information is true, but I've certainly heard a lot of people say that her guns actually incorporate alien technology into their designs, allowing the crazy miniaturization she pulled off. Which is fairly interesting because usually human tech doesn't play along too well with alien tech. I'd love to get my hands on one of her guns at some point, so I can have R&D analyze it.

quote:

Labels:
Freak -1
Danger +0
Savior +0
Superior +1
Mundane +3

Abilities: Heightened strength, agility, and toughness.

Energy Absorption (Anna can sense and absorb electrical currents harmlessly, even acting as a sort of lightning rod as she does so. Attracting lightning is, to her annoyance, involuntary, and in fact how she discovered her power when she got struck by lightning while on the balcony a few years ago. When she absorbs electricity in such a way, it restores her stamina and heals any injuries. ... Anna usually uses this ability to stay up way too long and play videogames. The energy can also be discharged, but is extremely imprecise and shortranged, essentially making it more of a battery than attack power. Also considerably tires her out.)

Impossible Mobility (Anna can transform herself into electricity and hide inside electronic devices or travel along electric cables. While inside a computer or similar object, she can even look through files, mess with code, or similar things. Anna often uses this to secretly supplement her work in her father's company.)

The Mask: You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:
- Freak -
Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label.
When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

Mild-mannered: When you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade. On a 7-9, choose one:
- you’re still under observation
- you leave something incriminating behind
- you’re forced to make a fool of yourself tosell it
On a miss, one of your civilian obligations rears its ugly head.

Dangerous web: When you reveal a trap you’ve left for someone using your powers, roll + your mask’s Label. On a hit, your opponent trips into it, and you get an opening or opportunity against them. On a 10+, take +1 forward to pursuing it. On a miss, the trap inadvertently leads to a dangerous escalation.

Secret Identity:
Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.
Job: Junior programmer (Anna work's in the extremely successful company of her father.)
School: Private school
Social: Socialite events

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations. On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt.

Moment of Truth:
The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

When our team first came together…
We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships:
Asteria knew you from your civilian life first.

I actually remember her from work. She worked as an intern once. Wonder of she recognized me too? Could be problematic...

You refused to tell Voidblade your secret identity when they asked.

Yeah, no. I'm not about to tell the kid with the PSYCHO vigilante dad who I am. For all I know he's going to decide I maybe skirted the line a bit too much and targets me over it? Possibly even at home? Just... no.

Influence:
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 5, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Likely PULSAR here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Interest post, working up a Reformed.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 29, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Went with a Bull!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 29, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

App down below!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 30, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Red Witch, the Nova
(Real Name: Ashley "Ash" Fear)

U-uh, hey there! Hi! I'm Ashley Fear, although I just go by Ash. Red Witch for my, uh, hero name. Anyway, it's nice meeting you! So where should I start? The beginning? Oh right, of course, haha. Okay. So, my family is pretty good at the magical arts, as I'm sure you know. We've had a lot of family members who serve important positions using their gifts all over the world. I used to stay in the Sentinel Tower, working with the Eternal Wizard to better control my powers...but that's...uh...kind of not an option anymore. Because he was one of the people who...haven't come back. And it's been several weeks.

quote:

When did you first use your powers?

It wasn't really too much of a surprise to my parents when I manifested mine at a young age. They weren't too worried when I teleported out of my crib, since showing potential at that age was good. And uh, they had some powers too so they could handle me. They laughed when I magically took things I wanted, after telling me not to do that. They, uh, weren't so happy when I was home alone watching a scary movie, freaked out, and blew up the house.

quote:

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

My older brother was the one who had convinced me to watch it with him, but...he got hurt. Really bad. He...he had to go to the hospital. Thankfully he turned out okay! No permanent damage, but my parents realized just how much power I had. Not just certain powers, like how some people from my family specialized in certain types of magic, but actual fundamental control over the forces of magic itself. So, uh, after some consulting with a bunch of people, they talked options with me. And it seems that Halcyon City not only needs heroes, but provides for them! So they arranged for me to move here, and uh, here I am!

quote:

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

One day I was out exploring the city, trying to keep everything under control when I ran into a hero who calls herself Twilight Sorceress. She's really friendly, and wanted to meet me ever since she realized I was in the city. It's uh, kind of something a lot of magic users know. Even without the, um, occasional accidents that happen, a lot of people with magical abilities can sense when someone like me is around because of the effect I have on the world. She's a little older then me, so it was nice to talk to someone close to my age. The Eternal Wizard was...is, uh, eternal. As in, really old. And kind of out of touch with everything? Uh, but he's really nice though! But she was the first person I went to when I realized the Sentinels might not be coming back.

quote:

Why do you continue to use your powers?

I mean, really my only other option would be to just isolate myself and try not to magically explode again. But...these powers are kind of a part of me, right? And...and I figure, if this is a part of me and I can use it to help people, why not focus on that? Why not be a superhero, for those who can't? Especially now, considering what's happened. It's even more important then it was before.

quote:

Because they're also helping out the best they can. And it's nice to have people who are like me in some way, even if they aren't as powerful. And friends, because I didn't get to meet many people while inside the Tower.

quote:

Look:
Man, White, Casual clothing, Colorful costume

Abilities:
You can fundamentally control the world around you. Choose one option from the list as the broad base of your control over the world around you.

Sorcery

Labels

Freak +3, Danger +1 Savior +0, Superior 0, Mundane -1

Moves:

When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 Burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 Burn, and mark 3 conditions.

Spend your Burn on your Flares.

Choose 4 Flares at the start of the game.

Reality storm: You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

Shielding: You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 Burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Savior.

Move: Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.

Snatch: Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Moment of Truth
It’s like your mind’s eye opens up, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you see fear in their eyes. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

Relationships

You hang out all the time with __________________, to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence

Choose your demeanor: Happy facade or locked down.

If you choose happy facade, give influence to 3 teammates.

When our team first came together…

We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

quote:

I met several of them, although it was usually just in passing. But one time I, uh, tried to sneak out at night. Because I wanted to be outside instead of in the Tower all the time. But Griffin suddenly showed up. You know, the guy with the, er, griffin theme to his costume. He grabbed me and I, uh, I kind of freaked out. Because I didn't see him before then. The good news is that Tower is prepared for any kind of attack so everything was fine. But a few days later he showed up and told me he'd look the other way if I didn't get into any trouble outside. I talked to him a few times after that. I know he's really silent and scary and just kind of stares at people but he's actually really nice once you get to know him.

quote:

One time he didn't show up at the Tower for a while and I was worried. So...I kind of used my magic to see if I could find out where he was. And I saw, out in the city, that millionaire Silas Harris - you know, the guy with all the charities and the program to help reformed villains get work? I couldn't figure out why I was seeing this, until the function he was at ended and he went into the car he drives around as Griffin. Cool! I didn't let anyone else know though. Or, you know, let him know that I kind of sort of accidentally found out his secret identity.

Uh, but the thing is, as one of the Sentinels, he's also gone. It hasn't gotten as much coverage as the heroes, but people are wondering where Mr. Harris is. And his husband is super worried. Do I tell him, or...?

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 30, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Asteria, the Bull

• Who changed you?

Well, that's a really good question. I mean, I'm just a normal kid, er, was just a normal kid. When these cloaked goons grabbed me off the streets of Halcyon, I honestly figured they'd mistaken me for someone important. Like a Sentinel's kid or something, maybe. But... well, no such luck. They knew my name. They knew me. Hell, while they were putting me in their van, one of them rasped, "Asteria Rokos... welcome to the MINOS Project." Like, seriously, I still don't know what their deal is! They gave me horns, and, y'know, some other stuff like those crazy fists, but when it comes time for why? That's anyone's guess.

All I know is I wasn't about to sit down and let some creepos put their crazy plan into action.

• How did you escape from them?

Alright, so, ignoring all the really inconvenient things about being changed into a living weapon... there's one thing that I will give them props for: Nyx and Hemura, my giant fist fairy godparents, can kick unbelievable amounts of rear end. Like... I'm not really sure what they were thinking with that. Did they figure that I'd just get all on-board the MINOS train and not use my newfound powers to unleash a path of absolute devastation through their stupid hidden base? Because, 100%, that's exactly what I did.

I have no clue how long it was after they took me, they didn't really have clocks down there... at least not in my room. But, uh, I guess I was gone for a while. When I busted my way out of their underground base and back into Halcyon proper, a lot of things had changed. I mean, I missed the Sentinels all disappearing into some sort of crazy alternate dimension after fighting their dopplegangers, for one. Oh, and my parents thought I was dead. That was different.

• Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

Y'know, I really don't see a lot of the changes they made as being that bad. Like, it's all kind of different, but a good different? My parents... well, they weren't so happy with the new me. Even outside my propensity for accidentally smashing doors — trust me, it's not on purpose — they seemed like they didn't want this me to be the real, actual me. They'd constantly be like testing me for rando memories, real gotcha stuff, and that got old quick. I mean, I love them, but it wasn't going to work. I moved out. In the middle of the night. And, y'know, without telling them.

So, yeah, I hit the streets for a bit. All I really wanted was like an abandoned warehouse or something to chill in for a few days while I got a handle on everything, but I ran into Southpaw when we both started busting up the same gang. He's really good at the whole fighting bit. I mean, like, I am too, but mostly because I'm impossibly strong, right? He's got the technique that I don't. Anyways, after we cleaned house, we got to talking. I told him as much of the story as I could, as much as I was willing to admit to myself, and he offered me a place to crash. He owns a gym down towards the docks, which I guess explains why he cruises around the industrial district and cleans out random gangs.

So... that's where I've been since. It's pretty chill, I mostly just train a bit with him before the gym opens and then go out for the day to do some hero stuff. I help clean up after and sometimes he has me spar with some of the heavier hitters, so I get a little spending cash too. Sweet deal, right?

• Why do you try to be a hero?

I mean, outside of the Sentinels being probably gone forever? poo poo. I guess... I dunno. It's like that thing Southpaw says. Something-something power, something-something responsibility. I lucked out, y'know? If MINOS wasn't such a trash fire — assuming this all isn't part of their plan... — then I could have disappeared without anyone knowing about it. That's no good. I don't know if I'm ever going to be a big-H hero like the big names, but I can at least do some real good for the people like me.

• Why do you care about the team?

Well, first off, they don't hold me to some impossible idea of what I should be — was — before all this happened. I'm always down for people who see me for me, right? Past that, it's been... it's been nice having some real friends. I don't, exactly, have many left. Or any. Southpaw, maybe, but that's kind of different and also he's a hero too so I'm not sure it counts.

• Which of the Sentinels did you most look up to and why? Tell me an interesting fact about them.

Well, dang, salting the wounds. Back before all this, my room was plastered in merch for the phantom duelist, Noblesse. She was just... I don't know. Everything I ever wanted to be. Strong, beautiful, and she never backed down from a challenge. Like, okay. You know that time she challenged the overlord of the... I think it was the third invasion of the summer, a few years back? Yeah, you know the one. Just an absolute monster. She challenged him to a one-on-one duel for the safety of the city while the other Sentinels snuck in and rescued the people that had been taken captive. Even though she wasn't a match for him in a fair fight, she hung on long enough to make sure everyone was safe and the invasion fleet had been sabotaged. Would've been nice, right? Have the greatest heroes in the city bust in and save you from the evil weirdo cult? Yeah, if only...

And, hm, interesting fact... Oh! She had a motorcycle, like one of those super-tech ones. Y'know, I never did hear about her using it when she went through the rift... think she'd mind if I borrowed it?

The Bull posted:

Name: Asteria Rokos
Look: Femme, Greek, Hands That Aren't As Interesting As Giant Magic Hands, Understated Clothing, Memorable Costume

Abilities: Incredibly strong, superhumanly tough, and uniquely skilled at fighting

Asteria's physical strength and resilience is nothing to scoff at, peaking at levels comparable to those of the now-lost Sentinels, but her greatest assets are the giant fists that manifest when she feels threatened. In the testing of her abilities, the fists (identified as "Nyx" and "Hemura," though they seem identical to outside observers) have demonstrated an ability to adapt and defend Asteria against any potential threats.

Labels:
Danger +2
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves:
❑ In a china shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
❑ Physics? What physics?: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

The Bull’s Heart:
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love:
Rival:

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑ Friend: When you comfort or support your love or rival, mark potential on a hit. When your love or rival comforts or supports you, mark potential when they roll a hit.

Moment of Truth:
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together...
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships:
_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence:
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 29, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

App below.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 1, 2018

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Going with a Delinquent.

Lester Abanov, aka Haze

Who am I, you may ask? Just a troublemaker no one asked for and yet everyone needs.

I never really liked heroes. Well, that's not entirely true. I don't hate them for doing the right thing, I just hate the way they usually present themselves-as "paragons of justice" and "defenders of the week". Like, sure, whatever helps you sleep at night, but I know they do it because they want to be seen. They want people to recognize them, worship them, love them.

Me? I don't care what people think about me. I just want to see fat cats fall and assholes get what's coming to them.

My background? Oh, nothing too special. Divorced parents, dual custody, a talent for graffiti and parkour, a few run-ins with the law, an understanding police officer who 'sees my potential', whatever the hell that means.

quote:

Name: Lester Abanov
Hero Name: Haze

Look: Man, White, Laughing Eyes, Rebellious Clothing, Showy Costume

Abilities: Teleportation, Illusions.
Haze's powers are vapor-based. He can teleport by turning himself into water vapor, like a mist or fog. Additionally, he can manipulate water vapor to create a fog that can resemble objects or hide them.

Labels:
Danger: +1
Freak: =0
Savior: -1
Superior: +2
Mundane: +1

Delinquent Moves
-Criminal Mind: When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
- what here is useful or valuable to me?
- how could I best infuriate or provoke ____________?
- what’s the best way in/way past?

-Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

-Are you watching closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Moment of Truth
This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Relationships
You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

• How did you get your powers?
Lester got them through puberty-he'd had them before, but they were weak and barely there.

• What do you do for fun?
Lester loves playing video games, but aside from that he also likes to do parkour-it clears his head and the skills are useful for doing hero work.

• Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?
Captain Maxwell Nakamura of the police has dealt with Lester on a number of occasions with his stunts and pranks, and while at times he's skated dangerously close to juvie hall, Maxwell sees through the cries for attention and snide remarks to the inside-perhaps because he himself was once like that. They have an... understanding of sorts.

Lester does not like authority, and it does not like him-but hidden under all the snark, the jabs, the sarcasm and disdain and desire for a little mayhem, lies a soul that desperately knows that people are often victims of bullies and jerks who have put weight on them-from schoolyard brutes to corporate CEOs. Lester wants to even the balance of power a little.

Lester doesn't want to admit it, but the team is the closest thing he has to a real family. Living with divorced parents who alternate care of him means that normally, he only has one or the other, and you can't really be friends with your parents. But with the team? He can snark, joke, and BE HIMSELF around them.

• Which of the Sentinels did you most look up to and why?
Darkfade, a Sentinel with the power to turn intangible and invisible. Lester looks up to him for one reason-he didn't act all high-and-mighty holier-than-thou unlike the rest of the Sentinels (at least, from Lester's perspective). He was human. He admitted his flaws. He cracked jokes and pointed out problems in the others and tried to do his best without ACTING like he's the best. He was humble.

• Tell me an interesting fact about them
Darkfade is actually a very distant relative of Lester-they have the same great-great-great-great-great-grandfather.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 1, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Interest post. Reformed goes here, prolly tomorrow tonight.

WIP

Claret, the Reformed

My name, in the long form, is Lady Chantae Angelique Esmerelda Santabella Nikita Francesca Desiderata Magritte il'Pipistrello Murciélago d’Chauve-Souris, the Vicomtesse d’Azur, but most people simply call me Chantae, or, I suppose, by my hero name now: Claret. And yes, before you ask, I am ‘ze V-word’.

Vampire.

Hah! You flinched. They always flinch. Don’t be so coy: I don’t bite. Well, not anymore. My parole officer administers blood tests weekly to make sure, drat her hateful, officious little eyes. It was part of the deal I worked out with the city, and the only way they would let me live. Surely you’ve heard about it? It made all the papers. “Vampires Exist, and Also Testify Before Congress!” I was the first of my kind to turn state’s evidence on my kind. I, how do you say, blew the whistle on the whole centuries-long shadowy conspiracy of my blood clan. I sent my sire and grand-sire to jail, and now I am walking on the straight and the narrow.

Well, mostly straight and partly narrow. A girl can’t change everything overnight, can she? But I am trying to be good. After all, I am a hero now. Really. I promise. Scout’s honor.

No, I was never actually a girl scout, but I did eat one once.

Hah! You flinched again. That was a joke, by the way. Even when I was bad, I was never that bad. All feedings were strictly consensual, or on very bad people that nobody would miss. All quite ethical. As a vampire, I was considered squeamish, and as a hero, I am considered… well, whatever the opposite of squeamish is. I suppose that, to some, I am not considered a hero at all, and never will be, but I am trying to fit in to your world. I no longer rob banks or the vaults of the wealthy, and I use my strength and speed and undead powers only to stop crime and protect society. I use my knowledge of the city’s dark underside to help other heroes. I am drinking the terrible pig’s blood and administering the horrid alchemical concoction that let’s me go outside in daylight without instantly bursting into flame. I have even enrolled in one of your living schools, because I need the diploma.

I am trying to show that my kind can be model citizens. I’m not the only one either. They won’t be seen in public with me, but I talk to other young undead online. There is a whole new generation of millennial undead that want to step out into the light of day, or at least the light of a moderately cloudy early morning.

We’re here, we’re vampyr, get used to it.

quote:

Hero Name: Claret
Look: Woman, Black, Shadowy Eyes, Expensive Fashion, Sleek Costume
Abilities: Vitality Absorption (Vampire)

Labels:
Danger +2
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +0
Mundane +1

Moves
Blowing off steam: When you commit a misdemeanor or small “victimless” crime, you may clear a condition of your choice.

Wrong side of the tracks: You always get to ask an additional question when you pierce the mask of a villain, even on a miss. When you pierce the mask of a hero (your call), add this question to the list:
- what was your darkest moment?

We fought a terrible enemy from my old life. Who was it and what did they take from me?

Relationships
I’ve earned the trust of _________________, and I follow their example of what a hero should be.
I did something terrible to __________________ once. I hope they can forgive me one day.

Influence
Do you talk openly about your days as a villain? If so, give each team member Influence over you.
If not, just give Influence to the one teammate whose example you most closely follow.

quote:

Who mentored you in supervillainy?

I was taken as an orphan and raised from childhood by la Main Noir, the left hand of shadow.

My grandsire came to to this country on the same boat as General Lafayette (in the cargo hold) and he liked to claim that he was American before there even was an America. The fact that he said it in an outrageous french accent only made him happier. He founded his clan in the swamps south of New Orleans, and by the time of the civil war la main Noir was the foremost guild of t’ieves thieves and assassins on the gulf coast, and in time they even expanded their holdings as far as Halcyon City. From them, at an early age I learned the arts of dipping, clipping, pocketpicking, lockpicking, sneaking, breaking, entering, and most importantly, exiting. By the time I was bitten, I was already one of the best cat burglars in the guild, and becoming a vampire only made me a better thief. At la Main Noir’s bidding I stole the cursed Monkey’s Paw from the halcyon Antiquities Museum, and the Emerald Star of Hibernia from the mayor’s annual charity gala. I was only ever caught twice in my whole criminal career, and I managed to escape my bonds before sunrise.

Not that I’m bragging about my criminal escapades, or anything. That would be immoral, wouldn’t it?

It would? Okay. Let me write that down. I’m still calibrating this whole hero thing.

quote:

What was your goal as a villain?
I had modest aims. To live forever while sleeping inside a solid gold coffin, perhaps. Possibly some sort of harem of adoring blood-servitors could be arranged, to fan me and make with the feeding of grapes. I didn’t want to rule the world, or anything. I wasn’t crazy.

quote:

Who first showed you that you could do good?

That would be Vigil, the Sentinels’ demon-hunter, vampire-slayer, magic-sword wielder, and all around blue-collar master of the arts mystical. He hunted me down after the Butcher’s Row job, because I had just stolen a very small king’s ransom in sapphires, and because… well, I suppose because hunting vampires is kind of his thing, yes? And he was damned good at it, let me tell you! I could not slip him on the rooftops, I could not slip him in the alleys, and even the old “turn into a cloud of mist and pour into the sewers trick” only worked because I dropped the bag of gems down a grate and he had to stop to collect them.

And even then, he hunted me down in my lair. Admittedly, I should have probably chosen a less public lair than the penthouse suite at the Four Seasons, but in my defense they have all night on-premises dry cleaning and I had just emerged from a sewer. That was the second time I was caught; Vigil has these blessed silver manacles.

You can’t even mist in them! It’s absurd!

And it was there, in my hotel lair, while I was trussed up on the bed waiting for the police to show up and he ate and drank his way through the hotel mini-bar and charged it to my account – five dollars for a candy bar! And they called me a thief! – that we talked.

I’m not going to tell you what he said, because he’s gone now and that would be rude to reveal secrets, but I will say that A) it was an origin story, B) the rumors of him being a dhampir are not entirely untrue, and C) I’d never been on the receiving end of one of those “We’re not so different, you and I” talks before, and it was a rude awakening.

quote:

What caused you to switch sides?
Well, remember how I said that la Main Noir was the foremost guild of thieves and assassins? As I grew older and more successful as a thief, the clan elders began to drop very unsubtle hints that it was time to begin the final phase of my training; the murderous part. And, well… I have never actually killed anyone, not even in feeding. And I did not think I wanted to start. Stealing is one thing; to be a vampire is, by necessity, to take from others. We are leeches. But murder? It was a line I would not cross.

My father in darkness, Count Incarnadine, did not, did not, take this refusal well. He was so enraged that he set my masterwork task, the thing that I had to do to gain full membership in the Guild, at ending the life of Vigil. It was slay the city’s finest vampire slayer, or be torn apart by my own kind.

Or, as it turns out, the third option – go to the other side of the law – which has turned out to be a lot messier, and more complicated, and full of tedious paperwork, and contains a distinct lack of solid gold coffins. But at least I can stand to meet my own eyes in the mirror at the start of the day.

Metaphorically, I mean, because obviously I don’t have a reflection.

quote:

Look, I don’t have a lot of friends, okay? I put most of my friends and family in jail, and the ones who are still free occasionally ambush me and try to kill me. The team is everyone I have left. They are normal, not-Vampire people, who seem to have a good and instinctive grasp of this whole “right-and-wrong” thing that keeps eluding me. If it were not for them, I think I would probably slip back into my lazy villainous ways.

And I do not know why, but I think I wouldn’t like that.

quote:

Vigil, See above

quote:

Hmm. I am privy to many secrets which the sacred covenant of the mini-bar will not allow me to disclose. How about this: while most people think that Vigil is merely a street-walking quasi-vampire tough with a magic sword and a bandolier of wooden-knives, he is actually a skilled sorcerer and alchemist who learned his magic from the bound shade of Isaac Newton, England's foremost sorcerer-king. He's the one who made my special terrible tasting drink that gives me partial sunlight tolerance.

Also, he's british. Yeah, the Brooklyn accent is fake. Who knew?

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 1, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mantid, the Outsider

The AEGIS team stood around what was clearly a cocoon, big enough for at the least an average sized humanoid. They were... on alert. It had been retrieved from a craft the size of a large fighter jet that resembled nothing so much as a cybernetic wasp that, if the techies were anywhere close to accurate in their guesses, was armed to the teeth. Fingers went to triggers as assault rifles - and more - were levied as it started to throb and pulse, tearing sounds coming from inside. A tear formed as whatever was inside started to claw its way out, what could only be described as ichor seeped as the creature rended its way out. A few of the AEGIS security took in sharp breaths as a figured slowly emerged from its way out, details hard to make out as it finally finished sloughing off the remains of whatever viscous transformation fluids had just so recently entombed it.

The figure was... humanoid. Differences, to be sure, most of them insectoid in nature. Its eyes were black, and a mop of green hair sat on its head from which a pair of antenna poked through. Given its... shape it was possibly feminine? Its mouth open, revealing sharp teeth, and it worked its jaw as if unfamiliar with it. The creature noticed the men finally, and stood up straighter. The AEGIS researcher stepped forward, opening her mouth to speak. It raised a single, clawed finger as it reached into what seemed to be a pouch at is belt on the... uniform... it wore and attached what looked nothing so much as a small yellow spider to the side of its neck that dug in with its many legs. The creature focused on the men and women around it, their weapons never lowering and its mouth opened.

"Excited declaration - hi! Hello! Greetings! It is nice to finally be here!"

Where do you come from?

"Mmmmm. Satisfied rumination - this liquid is... what is referred to? Hot chocolate? It is amazing! High concentration of fructose. And the tiny white bits? 'Marsh-mel-lows?' Delightful! Slightly mortified apologies - you asked about my homeworld. It is called... hmm... unfortunate, it is difficult to say without mandibles... best translation attempt 'The Colony.' It is the hiveworld of my people, a series of small planetoids interlocked by the Grand Web. It is not far from your planet, if you have mastered the art of faster-than-light travel! It is... very beautiful. Ah! I see I have evolved tear ducts. Wistful - to think of it makes me wish to use them.

Why did you come to Earth?

"Hasty but sincere reassurance - it's strictly peaceful! My race is... no, pacifism is inaccurate. We defend ourselves to the point that the threat is no longer present - whatever form that may take... hm... unforseen intended sinister overtones. Hasty apologies. Regardless, the Colony as a whole is very interested in other species, as potential allies and estimating possible threats and that is why I and many of my brood were sent out to nearby - relatively speaking of course for our technology but not nearby at all for your technology no offense re: comparatively primitive technology intended your species hasn't been doing this that long - habitable planets.

Potential contradiction - while I am of the Colony's soldier caste I can assure you that I have been highly trained in the use of diplomacy and contacting other cultures! Why it would be now unthinkable for me to extend my razor sharp mandibles and sever your head from your shoulders at the offense of adding what you term honey to your meals like some common condiment GAH wait that was me deploying humor please allow color to return to your cheek pouches."

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

"Warning to brace for extreme auditory levels inbound. THIS PLACE IS SO AMAZING! Everything... everyone gets to be so different. My people are a... ahem... I believe you would term it a 'hive mind' to an extent as we are all free to choose what path we are given available to us but it is regulated by our caste. For instance, as I am in the soldier caste did I want to specialize in melee combat? Ranged combat? Vehicular assault? Siege-breaking? As long as it revolved around being in the military caste, my options were limitless in life so it's not that bad except perhaps I think now maybe it is because here on Earth one may do whatever they feel like?

"Example offered - your high and low learning institutions, elective courses are offered. Elective! Learning about something with no direct correlation to your field of study! Younger students are free to select of course of action based solely on their own whims! THAT IS INSANITY AND I CANNOT LOVE IT MORE WITH MY ENTIRE HEMOLYMPH DELIVERY ORGAN. And so much time is spent on manifestly USELESS things! Like your popular cultures! Entire careers are devoted to them! To things that do nothing and do not technically exist! HOW DOES YOUR RACE FUNCTION IT IS AMAZING!"

"Additonal - you also have the music popular from the southern Korea! HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT!?"

Why do your people want you to come home?

"Ah. Well. Embarrassment is not strictly a human emotion. My... brood progenitors are... somewhat... set in the ways of the Colony. Analogy required. Their rank in the military of the Colony is... hmm... specific. Specifically large force commanders. While bread over countless millennia to be the unbreakable bulwark against threats to the Colony, please do not misunderstand. They are kind and loving, and want what they consider the best for me which is for me to take my place with the rest of my brood-siblings at the side of their extremely elite combat legion which I totally want to do... eventually. Probably. I think. However... there is too much to see. Too much to do. After a preliminary report my brood-dame insisted that there was nothing left to learn. My brood-sire also agreed, because of a long discussion with my brood-dame and also pheremones possibly."

"...care. Care? Oh! Show concern/admiration/romantic emotional spectrum towards them! That is unknown to the Colony. Ah, no! That was humor being engaged. My race knows what caring means. They were the ones who taught me my initial findings were worthy of further study, that not only was humankind this - sincere flattery incoming - chaotic and anarchic mess that would frankly baffle the Colony as to how your race were able to advance to the point to domesticate livestock let alone something like nuclear fission but to see it in action and take part alongside it? That is... synonym for 'amazing' needed at overuse of word. That is... that is... searching for sufficient adjective... THAT IS RAD. I love them all! Love has many connotations I hope as only some are appropriate in this instance!"

Which of the Sentinels did you most look up to and why? Tell me an interesting fact about them

"That would have to be Panthera! She was very kind and wise. I mean, to everybody, but also to me. Also we do not have felinoids of any kind on my planet so Panthera also looked neat! She was the first Sentinel I met, having been sent when my arrival generated, ah... excitement. Happily - we had a very nice talk!"

"Oh! Curiously - did you know that while it is known she was in your ancient times worshipped as a feline diety, and has reincarnated several times throughout history this is a function of the advanced technology of her homeworld which you rather delightfully refer to as 'magic.' All her powers stem from that! Well... they must stem from that. Actual magic is impossible. I... think. Definitely. Probably."

quote:

Hero Name: Mantid
Real Name: Mostly unpronounceable with a lot of clicks and some scent identifiers. Starts with something approaching 'Z' and a few 'E' vowel sounds, so goes by Zoe. Last name of Green, for obvious reasons.
Look: Woman, human body, animalistic eyes, average clothing, The Colony's uniform
Abilities: Density control, alien weaponry

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior 0
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves:
Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect.

Kirby-craft: You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.
Strengths: fast & maneuverable, powerful weaponry,
Weaknesses: Bizarre fuel source (rare earths, eaten), easily detectable

The best of them: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____.
You have a crush on ______ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: Cheerful.
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 30, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

The Courageous Pureheart!, the Beacon

A tall, scruffy, red-haired girl is currently hunched over on her desk, scribbling into a notebook. It's late, and Casey is the only one in her household who's still up. Her family have all gone to sleep by now, but she's still wide awake, mostly thanks to all the energy drinks she's been consuming. Her notebook is filled with what look like superhero costume designs, and right next to them are a list of crossed out names. "Hmm... How about... No, no. That won't do," she quietly mumbles to herself, as she crosses out another name, "The Fantastic Punch Girl? No, that's too lame..." She taps her pencil on her chin, "There's gotta be something I can go with. Something like... Wait, I got it!" She writes down another name, and nods approvingly at it. "Alright, it took me all night, but I think I've finally found the perfect name!" Casey holds up her notebook, and says, "From now on, I'll be known as..."

...Of course, the moment she says it loud, she's suddenly looking a lot less sure about the name. "Er, maybe I should tweak it a little more, first..."

• How did you gain your skills?

"Oh! Are you talking about this?" Casey briefly turns translucent, almost like a ghost, and then goes back to looking more solid, "I've always been able to do this! It's like, my superpower and junk! Ain't it neat?" She notices that the person she's talking to is, in fact, not very impressed by her 'super' power, "H-hey! D-don't give me that look! Just 'cuz it ain't big or flashy doesn't mean it's useless! I can't punch through walls, but I can walk right past 'em, and I can even whatever I'm holding onto translucent as well!"

"Aside from that? Uh... Oh! I know some boxing! My dad's a retired boxer, and he's been teaching me some of his old moves! That's... that's something, right?"

"...Look, I know it's not much, but it's all I got, alright? It ain't like I can bend reality, or control the weather, and I ain't some kinda super-smart genius, or big-time martial artist. Compared to everybody else, I'm completely out-classed, but that won't stop me from trying! I've always loved heroes, and it's always been my dream to be one! I wanna be the type of hero who can inspire people, and show 'em that you don't need no fancy powers to be one! All you need is heart, and the drive to do what's right! And gosh darnit, I've come this far, I ain't gonna back down now!"

• When did you first put on your costume?

"It happened a few days after the Sentinels disappeared. Folks were pretty still pretty shaken up over it, and they didn't know what to do now that all the big-time heroes were gone. They were all confused, and lost, and all the nasties out there knew that, taking advantage of the confusion to wreck some real havoc, and one of those nasties happen to be a big, terrifying bruiser named Gigant."

"I was riding my bicycle back home one day, when I heard a big commotion down the street. It was Gigant, and he was fighting with some other heroes. They tried taking him down, but Gigant was too much of a monster for 'em to handle, and without the Sentinels around, it was starting to look like all hope was lost."

"That's when I knew I had to do something. I couldn't just sit around and do nothing while other folk were in trouble! So, without even thinking about it, I peddled as fast as I can, through the crowd of screaming people! I hit a ramp on my way, sending me flying up with my bike, right at him, and I ended up smashing my bike right on his big, dumb head!"

"That got his attention, alright, and sure, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to provoke a giant slab of muscle like him, 'specially considering he can flatten me down in one hit, but that don't matter when he can't hit me at all! And it ain't like I needed to fight him directly. All I needed to know was distract him, and give the other heroes the opportunity they need to take him down, and take him down they did! I actually managed to help, and save the day!"

"...'Course, the other heroes didn't see it that way. I got a real scolding from 'em after, saying I was being too reckless, and yea, it was a little scary, but darn it, it felt great! And it was the first time I actually felt like I could do it, that I can actually be a hero!"

• Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?

"...Oh. You mean her, don't you?" Casey sighs, "The one person who doesn't want me to be a hero... is my aunt, Alexandria Blackwell. My aunt... is not a big fan of heroes. Actually, she hates 'em. A lot. She thinks they cause more trouble than they solve, and the world would be better off without 'em. Why does she hate 'em so much? Heck, I dunno. She's never shared why with us."

"That wouldn't be a problem, but my aunt... She, uh, she works for AEGIS. Yeah, that AEGIS, and she's someone who's pretty high up, too, and she's been trying to get some new hero regulations passed. Something that'll 'reduce the calamity and destruction they cause,' according to her. I don't know what she means by that, but I just hope whatever it is, it doesn't actually happen. We need heroes more than ever now, and it won't be good if we start restricting 'em now."

"...I know Aunt Alexandria's got a lot of... 'thoughts"... about superheroes, and she can be a little cold sometimes, but that doesn't mean she's a bad person. Just a little... uh, misguided? She just needs somebody to show her that heroes ain't actually all that bad, and that person'll be me! Just you wait, I'll get her to change her mind!"

"...I hope."

"Now that the Sentinels aren't around anymore, it's up to folk like me to continue what they've been doing, and do some real good in the world! And it ain't like I can turn a blind eye to people in trouble. That ain't the kind of gal I am. If you ask why someone like me tries so hard, it's because I want to help people, and make a real difference. It's as simple as that!"

"Gosh, have you seen them!? They're all so cool! Heck, I'm still a little shocked that they let me hang out with 'em, but I ain't complaining! And more than that, being around them just... inspires me, y'know? Each and everyone of 'em are incredible, and if I wanna make sure I don't fall behind, then that means I have to push myself as hard as I can! It ain't enough to just 'do my best,' I gotta do everything at 110%, and be the best dang hero I can possibly be!"

• Which of the Sentinels did you most look up to and why? Tell me an interesting fact about them

"You're probably thinking, 'Wow, Pureheart, you sure do love heroes a lot!' And yea, I do! But most of that is because of my big sis, Amelia, or as you probably know her as, Pink Rose!"

"Sis was the coolest! She's everything I've ever wanted to be as a hero, and more, and my parents were always proud of all the things brave, heroic things she's done. But what I always appreciate is that, even when she's busy doing all that important hero stuff, she always makes time for us, and she always loves sharing the stories of all the adventures she'd get into with me!"

"...That's why it hurt so much when she disappeared with the rest of the Sentinels. My sister... was gone, and we don't even know if she's okay or not. But I wanna believe, that she's still doing okay. She's still out there, somewhere, kicking butt like she always does, and if-when I see her again, I want her to see me, as a hero to. I wanna be someone she can really be proud of."

"An interesting fact? Uh, y'mean beside her being my sister? Uh, hm, lemme think about that. Oh! I've got it!" Casey leans in closer, and lowers her voice to a whisper, "My sister was in a relationship with an alien princess! Apparently, it was during a mission that took her out into space. They were helping these people who call themselves the Graxions with their problems, and during that mission, my sister hooked up with their princess. Don't tell anyone else, though! It's supposed to be a secret!"

The Beacon posted:

“Hero” Name: The Courageous Pureheart!
Look: Woman, white, naive face, casual clothing, home-made costume

Abilities:
- Phasing
- (Incredibly minor) Martial Arts!

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak -1
Savior +2
Superior +0
Mundane +3

Moves:
❑ No powers and not nearly enough training: You’re always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.

❑ Won’t let you down: When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the Team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Drives:
Choose four drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take Influence over someone involved. When your four marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark four new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon of the city.
❑ pull off a ridiculous stunt
❑ get a new hero name
❑ make out with a teammate
❑ reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here”

Moment of Truth:
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships:
____________________ is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You’ve got to prove yourself to_____________________ before you feel like a real hero

Influence:
You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 3, 2018

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Halcyon City, 15th of September 1992, 23.00

Two figures can be seen in the rainy night, one laying still in a slowly growing puddle of blood, the other dashing towards a nearby shadowy alley clutching a purse and holding down their hat to keep it from falling in their haste. As they ran, however, they kept glancing over their shoulders. This neighborhood in particular had a reputation you see. A reputation that told him that he had just hosed up majorly. So he ran, running for several blocks and turning many corners, until he finally started to calm down a bit, his heartbeat finally starting to slow down as he paused to catch his breath. He had done it. He ha-

"You cannot run from your sins, villain", interrupts a voice from above. A voice that he knew though he had never heard it before.

With a shriek and a sputter, the man looked upwards, towards a figure squatting on the rails of a fire-escape on the side of a derelict apartment building.

After a few silent sputters he finally managed to talk "C-C'mon man, I, I did no- not mean to shoot man! I jus-, she just lunged and I panicked and I and I c'mon dude I gotta eat a-"

"There is crime", came the masked man's interruption, cutting off the mugger's explanation.

"There is punishment."

"There is scum that needs to be cleansed."

There is a sound of drawn steel. Then silence.

The Dread Specter draws yet another last confession. Is he a hero? Is he a villain? It is hard to say in the morally grey underbelly of Halcyon. But whatever the answer may be, it is not one for this story to answer. For as cool and edgy and decidedly not PG13 as the Dread Specter is, this is not his story.

This is the story of his daughter.

"Your suit, Eva."

"All black, huh?"

"It blends well in the dark."

"Right, and if I don't feel like skulking in the night, stabbing petty criminals?"

"Do not argue, child."

"And the creepy mask?"

"It sends a message of fear into the minds of the undeserving."

"...Oh my god are you for real."

Voidblade
Eva Minett, the Protege

quote:

How did you first meet your mentor? & When and why did you choose to train with them? & Why did they agree to train you?

Okay, so, name's Eva Minett. Daughter to Josh Minett, also better known as 'The Dread Specter'. Yeah, that guy. The famous vigilante who appeared in the early 90's. Yup. The one that runs around in the night, handing out 'punishment' to 'criminals', the very same. And yeah, if you're wondering when he ever had the time to get a kid, don't bother. He never did. I'm adopted. And no I do not know why or how anybody would give a kid to a person like him. Probably wanted to get rid of the weird psion. Hell, bet you the only reason dad picked me in the first place was because he thought my abilities would make for a really kickass murderer. Yeah. But anyway, I've trained with him ever since then, from about six years old onwards. Not much choice when you live with a guy like that. You know, he's not the kind of person who's super liable to hear excuses to skip on training.

quote:

Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

NO! Of course I have not killed anyone! I'm fifteen! Why is it that you people always keep asking. Everybody who knows always keeps asking, and honestly it's starting to grate a teensy bit. Huh? Who knows? Well, the Justicar knows. What, are you surprised? That the big shining Justicar knows who The Dread Specter is and has not apprehended him yet? Yeah I wonder about the same thing too. Like, he should have, by now. But no, mostly he just pops in occasionally and asks me in that super serious tone that we all know and love if I have killed anyone yet. I say no and he just kinda nods and leaves. Sometimes I wonder if he really is any less weird than dad. At least he proves its possible to channel stuffed-up weirdness constructively, I suppose.

And no, I do not intend to kill anyone either, sheesh. That's such a screwed up thing to do. Sure, Dad trains me and tries to get me to see things his way, to wear weird crap and 'intimidating' odds and ends. To speak like some old timey preacher with a quite literal axe to grind and a crucifix so far up their rear that they are choking on it. You know, doing his best to generally mess me up into some weirdo avenger with no semblance of a normal life. Like, I mean, no. Just no. We have an actual justice system for a reason. The reason is not that we can shiv and string up the stragglers that fall through the cracks. Father thinks they are all beyond redemption. I think it's not our place to decide that.

We are heroes. We should not stoop to the level of petty criminals. And we certainly should not dedicate our lives to some bloody, ill-conceived personal crusade. Can't be good for your blood-pressure or mental health, that.

And that's why I'm here I suppose. To show, to prove that all this training, these methods, all this knowledge on how to cut up a person with a sword and mindblast them into submission and how to perform totally sick telekinetic backflips can be used better. For purposes other than petty vengeance. To help society instead of trying to scourge the already unfortunate. Yeah it might sound a bit idealistic and corny, but I'd rather be that than, well, you know. Follow his trail.

quote:

Look, I've never really had many friends. Dad's kept a tight grip on my training, and we relocated from hideout to hideout. Only now that The Sentinels are gone and the current hero-shortage means that Dad has given me a bit more room to breathe do I have any shot at normalcy in my life. That means I can finally meet people and get to actually really know them you know? Actual friends! Cool, right? So of course I would care about them, they're the first ones I've ever really been allowed to have. Well, less allowed, since Dad never really cared much for what I did on the brief moments of free time I was given. So more like had the time to get.

quote:

Which of the Sentinels did you most look up to and why? Tell me an interesting fact about them.

Ohh, I really liked The Necrodancer!

Yeah I know he looks really silly. That's the point! Guy was cursed with a really creepy aura of latent necromantic energies he could never get rid of, and he actually managed to cope with that in a way other than 'Grr I am an angry necromancer who hates everyone'. He's funny to watch, has pretty good one-liners, and in general has turned powers that are best suited for dickery into something truly heroic in the classic sense. He's an inspiration you know? Someone I could always look up to and remind myself that I can be more than Dad's or even Justicar's weird taciturn sternness.

I mean sure, sometimes he could be a bit obtuse. Like just before he went though that gate, and said something about having to call some really old friends to keep watch while he was gone? Dad didn't really seem to like that. Told me to stock up on Thrice-Blessed Silver and Soul-Charms. Hm.

quote:

Hero Name: Voidblade

Labels
Freak +0
Danger -1
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Abilities
Shared: Impossible Fighting Skills
Yeah. I've been training with a sword and other pointlessly sharp implements for a long time now. If it's sharp and pointy I can use it, whilst also being capable of not having them used on myself.
Own: Telepathy/Telekinesis
Something I was born with. Dad has been insistent on me learning how to harness them, but the focus of his training has been... rather one-sided. Mindblasts to disorient, telepathy to anticipate attacks, telekinesis to throw pointy things at targets and, once again, awesome backflips. (you'd be surprised how tall you can jump with just a little psychic push). But yeah, you get the gist. Combat application.
Mentor's: Intimidation and Fear
Yeah.

Mentor
Embodies: Danger
Denies: Mundane

Moves
Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.
Be mindful of your surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss

Influence
Playful

Mentor's Resources
A hidden base
Dad has a whole bunch of hideouts all across the city. This one is old, but well hidden and actually kinda comfy! I brought in a pool table and everything.
Surveillance equipment
Yeah that thing where he just appears seemingly at random is not magic. A lot of planning goes to that particular aesthetic, as well as a whole bunch of spying. The old man probably only gave these as a 'subtle' hint for me to do stuff like he does.
A weapon of last resort
He also left this... Some sort of ancient nordic runeblade. Whatever it does, know who it comes from. It is definitely meant to be deadly.

Relationships
You and The Courageous Pureheart teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on Claret.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 4, 2018

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!
Interest. More to follow.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
:siren:WIP:siren:

code:
Look: Man, White, Empty Eyes, Unassuming Clothing, no costume
Powers: superhuman strength and speed, vitality absorption, psychic constructs 

You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s
going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.
Who is your nemesis? Thanatos, God of Death
At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your
nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track. 

Doom
You’re doomed. Your powers may be killing you, or maybe you’re hunted ruthlessly, or maybe
you embody an apocalypse. But one way or another, your future is grim.What brings your doom
closer? Choose two. talking about it openly, Overexerting yourself

Labels
(at character creation, add +1 wherever you choose)
DANGER +1
FREAK +1
SAVIOR  +1 
SUPERIOR  0
MUNDANE 0  

DOOMSIGN
Dark Visions: Mark your doom track to have a
vision about the situation at hand. After the
vision, ask the GM a question; they will answer it
honestly

You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose and underline
three features of your sanctuary:
An aide or assistant,  a library of valuable tome, a scattering of ancient relics

Choose and underline two downsides of your sanctuary:
location known to many, tied intricately to your doom
Darkness

It surrounds my very existance.
I stand alone on the rooftop. They will arrive soon if I don't move.

Chase.
It's a chase. Ever moving forward. I run, I know full well you cannot escape it.
I am Risk Taker, whom death follows where-ever I go. Thanatos. They want me to die.
I am not going to die here. Not yet. Thanatos knows this.

I learned of my doomed state the moment I started being a hero. I was followed where I went by a figure hidden in shadows. I had hopes of doing good, I had dreams of saving the world.

Yet it all crumbled. He confronted me after a daring jump off a roof top. My grappling hook came loose. I landed...hard on my shoulder. There he stood over me, Thanatos, as he introduced himself. He held handcuffs, and came closer to me. I had to think. I had to think fast. Quickly, without thinking, I acted like I gave up, as soon as he got close to start cuffing my hands so he could lead me to the after life I sprung my plan. I grabbed the cuff and handcuffed one of his wrists and through the chain through a pipe on the wall and cuffed his other hand. I knew it wouldn't hold but it gave me time. Time to run.

And that's what I have been doing for the time since then. Running...and being a hero. I don't want to die. I don't want to give up on the dream of helping others and saving the world. It's not fair! I hide often in the library. The dusty tomes provide me a sanctuary to escape the constant struggle of running. Why does he not enter this library? It seems like something protects it from death itself.

The only person I have ever told about this is the Librarian, mid-30 looking, named Líf. She tells me I am welcome here at any time and she explained who Thanatos was. Death. I was running from Death. The only escape from Death is life, but Lif told me that while she can only assist me...I must figure out why I want to live.

Since then I joined a team of heroes and heroines, who have been my crutch. Even though I am a daredevil, I perform stunts I should never actually do, its all for me to continue running from death. But here, here I feel as though I have people I can cherish time with, people who get wanting to save others. People who I can work with.

quote:

Ricochet. She was amazing! She had incredible talent, gave no regard to putting it all on the table in a major gamble and was able to rebound from any mistakes.

quote:

Ricochet was actually immortal, like she has gone through hundreds of different names and identities through her life. She said it was all due to a deal made with a god but I don't know.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 1, 2018

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Feedback on the mostly completed apps. You can either answer them in a separate post or just edit your original app it's up to you.

Troubleshooter

Generally pretty good. I like the theme and the powers, only one kind of thing I would like you expand upon. What kind of criminals does Anna target? is she mainly going after white collar criminals? street level threats? or does she mostly hunt the more supervillian end of things?

Red Witch

Again another solid app with little to criticise. Only thing I'm struggling with here is how does Ash's magic manifest? Are we talking flashy balls of light? relatively subtle changes that you might not recognise if you weren't paying attention? The classic Fireballs and turning people into toads look?

Asteria

Not much to say on this one. My only quibble is I'd like to know a little bit more about MINOS. Right now it's kidnap transform into monster ???? Profit! What kind of history do they have? Does your character have any theories of their own as to what their goals were? Speculation can be fun and sets up expectations to be knocked down or subverted as the story requires.

Haze

Hmm, everything is here but I don't know how to put this without being overly harsh. But it reads like a check list. I don't have a sense for Haze's voice. What does he sound like? What injustices has he faced that make him want to stick it to the man? Why is he a hero? What does he want out of life? In general everything could do with expanding a bit more.

Claret

Please tell me you're not going to do the Gambit accent? Because I may just shoot you and/or myself now if you are. Otherwise I'd like to know more about the kind of vampire I'm dealing with here. Are we talking Dracula? Twilight? Nosferatu? some unholy combination of all of the above?

Mantid

Everything seems to be covered. The only minor issue I'd like clarifying is there's plenty there on how Mantid reacts to Earth, But how does Earth react to Mantid? is she tolerated? feared? incredibly popular?

Voidblade

So I think I've gotten a good sense of who Voidblade is. But I don't feel like I know a great deal about Eva. Does she have any kind of life outside her superhero activities? What little rebellions has she managed to get away with apart from the no-killing rule?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

quote:

So I think I've gotten a good sense of who Voidblade is. But I don't feel like I know a great deal about Eva. Does she have any kind of life outside her superhero activities?

Yeah, as you might have guessed, Dad homeschools me. He does not really trust the government to not corrupt me with their 'vile agendas' and what have you. But it's not like he shelters me or anything (at least he's not a hypocrite about his whole 'lone wolf' fetish). As long as I'm not training, I get to go mostly as I please. But still, not going to school means that Eva does not have a whole lot of friends, especially since I have to keep my hero identity secret. You know, whether or not I choose to follow in Dad's footsteps, I'm not exactly the kind of company most civilians would be comfortable with. So that alone makes keeping friends or a stable 'civilian' persona a bit difficult, since people would sooner or later get suspicious of somebody whose home they never get to visit, who never goes to school and who often has to go on extended 'affairs', and the moment they get suspicious is the moment that I start having trouble with Dad. So whenever I go out, I mostly just roam by myself, maybe go get a burger you know, that sort of stuff. So as per having a 'life', I don't really have any friends to have a life with, heh.

But anyways, I don't want to leave you with the impression that I don't have any free time. I do, maybe not as much as others my age, but it exists. Even if it's just because Dad thinks 'I would not operate at peak efficiency without recuperation periods' or whatever, and no he has not ever actually said that jeez. Just a little joke, 'cause you know, I wouldn't put that kind of thinking past him. But yes, if I have time to myself, in addition to roaming the city I usually watch cartoons, since they are a good way to kill twenty to thirty minutes. Or bake! Baking is really fun I think. It allows me to do things like draw a cutesy version of dad's mask in pink frosting on his birthday cake. Not that he's ever told me his birthday or even his real age. I just picked a date randomly to signify it. But yeah, baked goods are nice and tasty. Cartoon are colorful and zany, or at least those I watch are. Good times.

quote:

What little rebellions has she managed to get away with apart from the no-killing rule?

Oh? But didn't you know that I'm "The one last glimmer of light in a world suffused with filth" who has not time for stuff like friends or fun?

Hah! But yeah, dad's ridiculously strict in a moral sense, and so utterly convinced in his doomy gloomy worldview that just going out of your way to be chipper around him can really annoy him. Bake a cake. Like a cute cartoon. Dress in more colours than blacks and drab grays. Show interest in activities other than sharpening your knives. You know, being of good cheer, and insinuating that maybe there's more to life than edgy brooding.

It's not often that merely enjoying your life and being somewhat down to earth constitutes rebellion, but here we are.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 1, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ferrosol posted:

Claret

Please tell me you're not going to do the Gambit accent? Because I may just shoot you and/or myself now if you are.
So, yeah, that app was originally written entirely in the Gambit accent -- I even went back and listened to the Jay and Miles episode on Gambit's origin so i could get the apostrophes right -- but it turned out to be so annoying that i went back and deleted all but that one reference.

In general, Chantae speaks in kind of a trashy french movie-vampire accent.

quote:

Otherwise I'd like to know more about the kind of vampire I'm dealing with here. Are we talking Dracula? Twilight? Nosferatu? some unholy combination of all of the above?
Full on Dracula. I'm thinking of very traditional Marvel comic-book vampires. Chantae's powers are strength, speed, some healing, claws, and the ability to climb and cling to walls and ceilings. She can also do some weak mesmerism --limited jedi mind tricks that usually only works on the gullible and weak-willed and animals -- and she can shapeshift into clouds of weak things: mist, bats, rats, bugs, etc. She has weaknesses against garlic, holy symbols (most religions), garlic, and she gets burned, but not incinerated, by direct sunlight.

Her father and grandfather are like her, but more-so: urbane, evil, megalomaniacal Dracula-type predators.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Feedback on the mostly completed apps. You can either answer them in a separate post or just edit your original app it's up to you.

Asteria

Not much to say on this one. My only quibble is I'd like to know a little bit more about MINOS. Right now it's kidnap transform into monster ???? Profit! What kind of history do they have? Does your character have any theories of their own as to what their goals were? Speculation can be fun and sets up expectations to be knocked down or subverted as the story requires.

Sure thing. I'll handle most of this OOC in spoilers since Asteria wasn't privy to their origins or plans, but she does have a few theories of her own as well.

MINOS, as the name suggests, is an ancient brotherhood of mystics with ties to Greek Mythology. Up to you whether that manifests in terms of a world where there was, at one point, a walking and talking pantheon of Greek Gods and other monsters or simply a group of magically-inclined weirdoes with a very specific brand. Their goals seem like they'd lean towards the fulfilling of ancient prophecies — clearly their game with transforming Asteria — and also making trouble to reclaim historical artifacts that they use in their nefarious plots as well as claim to be the rightful owners of. They tend towards being a shadowy organizer behind more obvious threats, so your average hero almost certainly hasn't heard of them. The Sentinels probably have, on the whole, but they're gone.

---

Alright, you want to know what I think MINOS was up to? If you ask me, they've gotta have some sort of weirdo plan to take over the city and rule forever as our dark and mysterious overlords. That's what cultists do, right? And why else would they need to make someone, like me, who could go toe to toe with a Sentinel? I mean, what, you don't expect me to believe that they've got some sort of worse, darker threat that they're preparing for. Do you? I mean... it wouldn't make what they did right, but maybe if they had a really good reason... well, I'd take it easy on them when I booked 'em. Then I'd go beat up the evil alien gods or whatever. I've got the power, for better or worse, so if there's something only I can do with it...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ferrosol posted:

Mantid

Everything seems to be covered. The only minor issue I'd like clarifying is there's plenty there on how Mantid reacts to Earth, But how does Earth react to Mantid? is she tolerated? feared? incredibly popular?

There's always going to be those who don't like the idea of a heavily-armed alien from an admittedly warlike race even if they're not especially conquering. Frankly certain types, either people who are all about playing on the fears of others for their own benefit or generally paranoid military types believe (or want others to) that she's the point-girl for a Colony invasion which is not how the race operates unless provoked. (Bug analogy - it's like kicking over an anthill, the response is overwhelming but the other person has to strike first). What helps (and hurts) is she is extremely open about how her race does business and how her tech works, the latter of which doesn't do Earth a lot of good since most of it's bio-mechanical flora from her homeworld.

That said, there's certainly been enough alien contact for people to generally slot her as 'another kind of superhero' so she probably gets talked about as the team's resident alien. What really makes folks like her is she's literally never met somebody she can't be best friends with. Making her super famous feels like it steps on the Star's toes, but at the same time she probably does have a fanbase because part of her mission is to get to know the people of Earth, so I expect she does the talk-show circuit in interested countries. (Big in Japan and South Korea, maybe.) She's also super into the idea of going to high school with a secret identity which would probably be equal parts heartwarming and hilarious, but at the same time I don't want to intrude on the Janus' playbook.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Jacob Lovejoy. Superhero Name: ABADDON: ANGEL OF THE PIT

I was never really the religious type. My foster parents weren't, either, though they were quick to let me know I was free to have any faith I chose as long as it didn't encourage harm against anyone. But still, I never put much stock in religion. I still don't.

Sure, gods exist, magic exists, all that... but it's always people who seems to roll up their sleeves and change things. And, I guess, my birth parents were somewhat in agreement in that matter, judging from the ritual they participated in, that sunny October morning when I was born.

They were members of a cult, you see, who believed that sealing gods, demons, and other such entities into newborn humans could lead to great heroes, with the proper guidance. Unfortunately, I was both the first and the last of such people born.

It wasn't that I did anything to them, oh no. Even if Abaddon were given to cataclysmic fits of rage, he wouldn't have been able to do anything in that state... but the angel sealed within me had a vital duty, a guardian of Hell and warden to demons. And when he disappeared... his colleagues decided to try getting him back.

While most of the cult was wiped out by the entity sent to retrieve Abaddon, one of them survived, and managed to bring me to a nearby orphanage to try and keep them away. In time, I was adopted by two young women who desired a child of their own, and as I grew under their care my powers developed.

Now, I am a superhero... but the use of my powers seems to call my pursuer closer every time. And I'm not sure I'll be able to resist when he tries to return me to my spirit's duties...

But I'm no good at explaining this, Father Malakov would be more than happy to tell you the full story, if you'd like to visit the Brookwoode Chapel with me.

Yes, the same Chapel that burned down 17 years ago, why do you ask?

quote:

When did you first learn of your doom?

"I believe it was my 16th birthday, though I can't recall for certain. My foster parents had just thrown a party for me, and in the aftermath a rather elderly man knocked on our door. When my mother answered the door, he proclaimed to have once been a friend of my birth parents. He gave her a leatherbound journal, claimed it was a birthday present for me, and disappeared into the setting sunlight. It had belonged to my father, and spoke of a ritual to place an angel within a mortal's body. I was that mortal, born to serve as a vessel. According to the final entry, my father had just discovered that something had come to reclaim my soul..."

quote:

Where did you get your sanctuary?
"There was an address scrawled onto the first page of the journal, located somewhere rather far out of town. I wound up taking several hours to get there, but when I did I discovered an abandoned chapel. The old man from before was there, and welcomed me in. The place was once a research facility for a cult, of which my father and he were members... and, according to their prophecies, it's where the Nephil and I will have our final meeting. Until then, though, I've been given full use of the place's facilities, mostly consisting of ancient tomes and useful artifacts."

quote:

Why do you oppose your Nemesis?
"Beyond the fact that he intends to drag me back to Hell to serve as a warden until the apocalypse? Well, his searches for me result in a lot of collateral damage. People getting hurt, things being destroyed, all in the name of his single-minded devotion to bringing me back."

quote:

Who, outside of the Team, is crucial to defeating your Nemesis?
"According to some research, including religious texts and journals from other cult members, the Nephil never appears alone. When it arrives to rescue lost angels, an entity known as a "Lilith" also appears to try and tempt them into remaining. Normally they serve an antagonistic role... but since I already want to stay, maybe they could help."

quote:

Why does the team matter to you?
"Because with their assistance, I may yet be able to make a difference. They want to change the world as much as I do, and even if the Nephil succeeds and I am forced to take back up my soul's former duties, I may leave this world in a better state than I entered it with their help. No man is an island, nor is any angel."

quote:

My personal role-model was Goetia. They had a power-set revolving around the mixing and matching of powers typically associated with demons from the Ars Goetia. Despite this, they were quite possibly one of the kindest heroes known to modern society, and when they were involved in a fight the collateral damage was almost nothing. I've even heard they were in a situation very similar to mine, once, pursued by a powerful demon who found their use of her brethren's powers "disgusting". The rumors also hold they defeated her... and it gives me hope.

A rather common rumor floating around states they obtained their powers through finding the original vessel King Solomon sealed the demons in, and forming pacts with all 72... but that sounds a bit unlikely, even to me...

quote:

Looks: Man, white, haunted eyes, unassuming clothing, adaptive costume
Abilities: Body Transmutation, Superhuman Strength and Speed, Psychic Constructs

Jacob's powers mostly revolve around taking on the original powers of Abaddon, on a temporary basis. Typically this includes the formation of insectile wings, strength and speed to be expected from an entity tasked with keeping demons in submission, and the summoning of "locusts", motes of light capable of taking on myriad forms... or simply swarming and burning his foes.

Nemesis
You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s
going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.
Who is your nemesis? "The Nephil", an entity with powers similar to my own who insists I must be "returned to my duties". He does not seem to be outright malevolent... but his devotion to his goal is singleminded, and people tend to get hurt when he acts.
At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your
nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Doom
You’re doomed. Your powers may be killing you, or maybe you’re hunted ruthlessly, or maybe
you embody an apocalypse. But one way or another, your future is grim.What brings your doom
closer? Choose two.
injuring innocents
facing danger alone

Doomsigns
These are abilities that come to you with your approaching doom. Once you have taken all five
doomsigns above the line, you must take “Your doom arrives” the next time your doom track fills.
Infinite Powers: Mark your doom track to use an
ability from any playbook, one time.

Sanctuary
You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose and
underline three features of your sanctuary:
An aide or assistant; a library of valuable tomes; a scattering of ancient relics
Choose and underline two downsides of your sanctuary:
Difficult to access, tied intricately to your doom

The Brookwoode Chapel was, to the untrained eye, a regular small church in a regular small town. And for the most part, that really was all it was. But in secret, a hidden basement served as the meeting grounds and research space of a cult devoted to the "sealing of divinity", placing gods and other such entities within humans, granting humans those powers to fight evil and, perhaps, helping those gods understand humanity better.

It was burned to the ground by The Nephil when Jacob was born, but the basement remains untouched. Within it is a vast library of tomes, and several religious artifacts recovered by the cult for study and use in rituals. The only surviving member, Father Malakov, maintains the place and continues his studies. However, the Chapel is several hours away from the city by most methods of conveyance, and it is claimed that one day, The Nephil will meet Jacob here for their final confrontation.

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +1
Savior +2
Superior -1
Mundane +0

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 3, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Red Witch

Again another solid app with little to criticise. Only thing I'm struggling with here is how does Ash's magic manifest? Are we talking flashy balls of light? relatively subtle changes that you might not recognise if you weren't paying attention? The classic Fireballs and turning people into toads look?

For most cases, it's very loud and obvious. His most common attack is blasts of red magical energy and when he uses his Flares it's usually loud and colorful (often red, hence the name). Snatch causes the object to turn red for a moment and makes a sort of snapping crackling noise when he takes something, Move causes him to glow red and makes a loud whip noise as he teleports around, etc. He can be subtle if he takes time to concentrate, such as when he spied on Griffin, but otherwise being subtle in the moment is something he'll have to learn over time. Red Witch has some common ways of using his power, but part of his abilities means he can manifest them in all sorts of ways depending on the situation - he has a huge amount of flexibility in that regard.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Ferrosol posted:

TroubleshooterGenerally pretty good. I like the theme and the powers, only one kind of thing I would like you expand upon. What kind of criminals does Anna target? is she mainly going after white collar criminals? street level threats? or does she mostly hunt the more supervillian end of things?

I'm the first to admit I'm not the strongest of superheroes. It's not exactly a kind of power I'm comfortable going up against people with super strength and such with. I'm stronger than the average human, but that doesn't mean much against people who can crush tanks. My power's a lot more versatile than most people give it credit for, though.

You'd be surprised at the amount of stuff you can catch wind of when you're inside someone's computer? It's hard to describe, really. For example, things that have been used recently tend to be stored to be ready at a moment's notice, right? I can access those really easy. Even if you'd hide the actual text file somewhere, the text program would stll have it in recently used. It's not too different with other programs - even ones people really don't want others to see. Communications people don't want others to see. It all goes through somewhere. I can trace it.

As such, I do indeed mostly go after white collar criminals - the ones the heroes more inclined towards solving problems with their fists tend to miss. Street level crime is something I do keep an eye out for while I'm doing my thing, but I'm not heading out there to look for it. I prefer a more... subtle approach. Which, I suppose, is a bit ironic considering I can literally throw lightning at people, but, you know... It helps keep my identity hidden.

And yes, I meant it when I said I don't do industrial spionage. I honestly don't care about the company as much as my father wants me to. Sometimes I feel like he wants me to be another him, but... I just want to do my own thing, at least for now.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

More feedback time for the apps I missed the first time around.

The Courageous Pureheart!

A pretty good app all in all. One thing I am curious about is how public is TCP about her relationship with her sister. Does she make a big deal about it? Or is it something that's there and people could find out about if they bothered to dig into it? Or did she go to great lengths to keep the super powered stuff and her family separated?

Risk Taker
I kinda get where you're going with this one. But why is Thanatos targeting you in particular? What is it you did to piss off the literal personification of death? I mean I like the idea of him hunting you but I don't understand why exactly from your backstory.

ABADDON: ANGEL OF THE PIT

Are the capital letters really necessary? I mean it's certainly dramatic and all and a much better name than some. *cough* two spaces up *Cough* Aside from that I don't really get a good feel for his doom. So an angel is after him to drag him back to hell to be it's guard? And this is bad because the angel will do anything to get him to do his job. Can you give us some examples of people getting hurt and what you did to stop it? It might give me a better feel for how Abby there performs as a hero.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Risk Taker
I kinda get where you're going with this one. But why is Thanatos targeting you in particular? What is it you did to piss off the literal personification of death? I mean I like the idea of him hunting you but I don't understand why exactly from your backstory.
Changing perspective here.

Risk Taker was meant to die when his judgement mean he landed on the ground. It wasn't a single story building. He had intended to jump from one roof to another but his calculation failed and he fell to the ground, which is where Thanatos, or rather, death himself, came up. What did he do to piss of the literal personification of death? He got away, and disrupted the balance of life and death, not to mention cuffed Thanatos to a pipe off the side of a building. It's like Sissyphus all over again.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Ferrosol posted:

More feedback time for the apps I missed the first time around.

ABADDON: ANGEL OF THE PIT

Are the capital letters really necessary? I mean it's certainly dramatic and all and a much better name than some. *cough* two spaces up *Cough* Aside from that I don't really get a good feel for his doom. So an angel is after him to drag him back to hell to be it's guard? And this is bad because the angel will do anything to get him to do his job. Can you give us some examples of people getting hurt and what you did to stop it? It might give me a better feel for how Abby there performs as a hero.

"I apologize for that. I'm afraid when I was contacted for this interview I botched the 'Superhero Name' field on the form. I typically go by only 'Abaddon' in a hero context."

"As for the Nephil, I suppose without proper context he does sound a bit defanged. The problem is, my mortal nature and the ambient supernatural power in Halcyon City gets him... confused, to put it delicately. He tends to assume other heroes, or even innocent bystanders, are either Abaddon's vessel or otherwise related to his disappearance.

When they proclaim unawareness of what he's talking about, or try to escape, he grows violent. And unfortunately, his main method of said violence is a pure white sort of flame that he throws around like particularly cheap candy. This leads to things like property damage, deaths, and other such unpleasantries. Of course, that doesn't even get into the obvious issues of what happens when a mortal who ISN'T the vessel of an angel trained to curbstomp demons on an hourly basis is dragged to Hell...

However, sufficient force seems to be enough to drive him off, and I've even risked confrontations with him to assist in such. Thankfully, my mortality still spoofs his senses enough that he hasn't realized who I am... at least, I can only hope. Otherwise... why hasn't he come for me, yet?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

The Courageous Pureheart!

A pretty good app all in all. One thing I am curious about is how public is TCP about her relationship with her sister. Does she make a big deal about it? Or is it something that's there and people could find out about if they bothered to dig into it? Or did she go to great lengths to keep the super powered stuff and her family separated?

In general, Casey tries to not bring it up, mostly because Amelia asked her not to. Her older sister went as far as she could to keep her super powered life and her normal life separated, and tried to keep her connections to her family a secret. She was part of the Sentinels, after all, and the Sentinels have made some dangerous enemies, and the last thing Amelia wanted was for her family to be in danger. So, out of respect for her sister, Casey keeps quiet about her connections with her... but that doesn't stop her from talking about how awesome Pink Rose is whenever she's brought up!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Gigantress - The Star

quote:

Hero Name: Gigantress

Look: woman, white, coy smile, designer clothing, stylish costume

Abilities: Size Control

Star Moves
Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.

Cold and Cruel: When you shut someone down, roll + Superior. On a 10+, you either inflict a condition on them, make them lose Influence over you, or take Influence over them, your choice. On a 7-9, you either each inflict a condition on the other, or both lose Influence over each other, your choice. On a miss, they gain Influence over you.

Audience
You are a celebrity in the city. By default, your audience is a limited group of interested fans, and you speak to them through after-action interviews and infrequent press conferences.
Why does your audience love you?
You're a dangerous person, a bad seed,
You're stunning, unique and beautiful.
Choose two advantages:
Your audience is utterly devoted to you,
You earn a lot of money from their interest. -not enough!
Choose two demands your audience makes on you:
They require constant stimulation,
They require chemistry with your allies.

When you accept what your audience tells you about yourself, clear a condition. When you reject what your audience tells you about yourself, on a hit mark potential and expect retribution.

When you seek help from your audience, roll + Superior. On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up. On a 10+, they only make a small demand. On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher. On a miss, you’ve made a mistake, and your audience won’t help you until you’ve redeemed yourself in their eyes.

Moment of Truth
Sometimes it can be hard to tell where the show stops and where you begin—but not today. Not now. Because right now, there is no show. Right now, you are the thing you pretend to be—bold and bright and beautiful and amazing and powerful and confident. Right now, you draw strength from your audience, comfort from their belief in you, and you can do anything they think you can. Of course, after such an impassioned performance, your audience will just have even more demands...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it’s part of the show or not. If it is, then you can shift your Labels as you choose. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don’t agree, the GM shifts your Labels.

Labels
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane -1

So, like.

The Sentinels vanishing was bad, obviously, but.
Oh.
My.
Gawd!

It was basically the best thing in the world.

I mean, imagine trying to become a famous hero with all those old farts hanging around? No one would ever notice you, no matter how cool you are - and what you did obviously - if the stupid Fantastic Femme was flying by, it'd be off for another stale old interview about how she kicked five kinds of poo poo out of The Baron ten years ago. Or Shooting Star talking about sharpshooting. YAWN.

So when they all ditched and decided to finally clear the way for some fresh blood, oh, I was so pumped. It was finally my moment to shine, and I took it!

Just spent long enough coordinating my outfit and getting properly spiky shoes - hey, I do have an imagine to project - and then I was out there, stomping on badguys and saving the day. Rudely.

Some people like nice girls, but everyone knows, they really want a bad one. Someone who can, and will, kick em around a bit if they deserve it, who'll laugh and giggle and basically do whatever the gently caress she wants. And I was naturally born for that, I'm not nice and I look kind of scary, but in a cute way, right? Its the teeth that really sell the effect, and I was lucky enough to be born with em sharp like that. Not every can be so good.

Course, not all the attention I get is the good kind - but there really is no such thing as bad publicity, unless I decided to break the law, which, uh, no, I'm a hero, thanks - but the kid Harvey Edison(yeah yeah hes the same age as me and can gently caress off) who runs the Halycon Hero Watch fan magazine 'apparently' goes to school with me and 'apparently' I'm a bitch Eye-Are-Ell and he tries to trash me every time I show up to save the day in his magazine. But, jokes on him, cuz like, sure, some people don't like me, but like I said, I've got a Bad Girl reputation to procure, and he's helping along, idiot. Unfortunately, he's for some reason regarded as an authority by idiot news-casters and the like who don't have a goddamn clue what the pulse of the youth is, if they ever even were young once, which I doubt.

On the positive publicity side, Franken-Lass - no she really does look like a Frankenstein's monster girl, but the scars kind of work, I think the story is she was captured by some mad scientist and had parts of people with superpowers grafted onto her, but she uses that power for good - is for some reason one of the leading heroes left, and she sent me a fan letter, saying how much she loved my style and fighting after I stopped a bank robbery as one of my first jobs. She doesn't like, praise me to the heavens or anything, but she shows up after a good fight sometimes to cheer and she even asked for my autograph! I gave it to her, obviously, and we got drinks after. She's pretty cool, even if she's an old woman. [ed: Franken-Lass is 22]

What do you tell people about how you got your powers?
Oh, I almost forgot! Obviously, saying I was born with them doesn't cut it is a hero backstory, even if it is true, so my tale is a thrilling story of being trapped inside the Supermassive Hadron Collider on a field trip when the robbers broke in last year. They messing with the controls and some kind of glowing rod [true] when I bravely and boldly stepped in to stop them from fulfilling their evil plans [false] but partway through the fight I was hit by the beams coming off of it and shrunk, and then grew, and started changing sides uncontrollably. After a year, I've successfully managed to master changing my shape at will! gently caress you Harvey for telling everyone that's a lie, no one likes you and no one believed you.

Madison Jackson, A-K-A Captain Crazy. Frankly, I have no idea, and like, I don't think anyone did, why she picked that name, since she was totally sane, and presented as like, the calm, quiet girl? But, anyway, I have no idea if she started for the same reasons I did, back in the day, but even if she didn't, by the time I was kid she had like, every single kind of product line possible? Hair, skin, fashion, TV shows, cooking products, a radio show, they were building an actual building shaped like her before the Crisis.

Captain Crazy actually was the most successful hero of all time! Ignoring cheating gently caress billionaires who were already born rich, since keeping money isn't actually an achievement OR success, she made the most money with her products of ANY hero, ever, including the original Sentinels. She's even the only Sentinel who started off making like, crap wages - she was originally a waitress - to end up a millionaire, and she was trending towards a billion! No one else managed to what, fragrajillion-times their starting income to something that huge. God, she's the coolest. Luckily, even if she does come back, we have WILDLY different market appeal, so like, no conflict there.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
THE PROTÉGÉ

HERO NAME Zero
REAL NAME Zoey Zimmer
Look • woman • Asian • muscular body • fashionable clothes • simple costume
Hey its me Zero you might probably remember me as just being “Agent 0’s child prodigy gadgeteer” a weird little kid who spent pretty much their entire existence in a little workshop only to pop out with the next fancy device 0 would figure out how t turn into a lethal weapon. Well honestly that's pretty much entirely true but it is a bit of a simplification of things. I was picked off an orphanage by the men upstairs due to possessing an unusual amount of engineering skill for a person let alone a kid so they took me in and had me work on a few prototypes for a certain Agent 0 and well as you might have guessed he was very pleased with the results. That whole bit was lovely for awhile but you know I eventually started wondering if there was more I could be doing both for other people and well with my life fortunately it turned out I did have a second trick up my sleeve. Apparently the same altered cognition that lets me put together fancy doodads so easy also lets me learn feats physical of skill at an inhuman rate.

Ah yes agent 0 its pronounced “Oh” which apparently my codename was what we call a “dad joke”. He my come off as kind of a goof but he’s one of the top agents around these parts, one of the few that get trusted to deal with superperson business. He’s been pretty against the whole superhero plan but he did eventally agree to train me.

quote:

You are someone’s protégé. Your powers largely mimic theirs, but each of you is in some way unique. Pick one ability you both share one ability for each of you that is uniquely yours.
SHARED ABILITY:weapons and gadgets
Yep what I devoted a large chunk of my life to there was definitely a stink raised over security policies when it came to taking them with me but 0 pretty much put those to rest.
YOUR OWN ABILITY: Impossible Fighting Skills
As mentioned I’ve figured out how to put my enhanced spatial cognition could be put to far more practical use such as substituting the material costs and R&D time of building a propulsion system into a pen with simply applying a standard issue one to an eye socket myself.
YOUR MENTOR’S ABILITY: Detective Skills
You don't get to 0’s rank by being dumb muscle that's all I’m legally allowed to say about 0’s detective work.

You have a mentor, someone who’s taught you, trained you, given you aid, or raised you up. Someone who might have confined you a bit too rigidly to a single path. Which Label do they embody, and which do they deny?
EMBODIES Superior DENIES Danger

Moment of Truth The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose… Team Moves When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add a Team to the pool.

POTENTIAL >>>>❑ >>>>❑ >>>>❑ >>>>❑ >>>>❑ Every time you roll a miss on a move, mark potential. Advancement When you fill your potential track, you advance. Choose from the list below.
❑ Take another move from your playbook ❑ Take another move from your playbook ❑ Take a move from another playbook ❑ Someone permanently loses Influence over you; add +1 to a Label ❑ Rearrange your Labels as you choose, and add +1 to a Label ❑ Unlock your Moment of Truth ❑ Add +2 to the Label your mentor embodies or denies ❑ Choose up to four more resources from your mentor When you’ve taken five advances from the top list, you can take advances from the list below. ❑ Unlock your Moment of Truth after you’ve used it once ❑ Change playbooks ❑ Take an adult move ❑ Take an adult move ❑ Lock a Label, and add +1 to a Label of your choice ❑ Retire from the life or become a paragon of the city Other Moves Labels

Labels
DANGER 0 FREAK 0 SAVIOR +1 SUPERIOR +2 MUNDANE 0
Conditions ❑ Afraid (-2 to directly engage a threat) ❑ Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask) ❑ Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation) ❑ Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers) ❑ Insecure (-2 to defend someone or reject others’ influence)
Backstory
How did you first meet your mentor?
Well eventually it was determined that it would things actually be a lot easier for all parties involved if I presented technical specs on my work as opposed to playing the world's most elaborate game of telephone. As you might of guessed the idea wasn't all that appealing but when I actually got around to meeting him things went unexpectedly well as it turned out 0’s a pretty good guy and felt bad about the whole orphan thing so he kind of took me under his wing.
When and why did you choose to train with them?
Well 0 isn’t necessarily a standard superhero type but he certainly knows his way around a super induced crisis crisis and no one knows the ins and outs combat pragmatism quite like he does.
Why did they agree to train you?
It was a hard sell getting him to even talk about it he always gave me the same nonanswers about the best place for me being the lab he didn't even give my ideas a though even after I presented them in powerpoint form but in the end when the portal incident happened he finally came around to the idea that I should know how to defend myself.
It’s always nice to have helping hands around and these people seem like they’ll be more competent at their jobs than the idiot lab assistants I used to get stuck with with.

quote:

When our team first came together... We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact? Relationships You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together. Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influence Choose your demeanor: business.
If you choose playful, give Influence to two teammates. If you choose business, give Influence to no teammates.

Protégé Moves
❑ Venting frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.
❑ Been reading the files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
❑ Fireside chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Mentor’s Resources Choose up to three resources that your mentor gave you and the team
A Chem Lab
0 convinced them to let me keep my lab clearance I’ve grown rather cold towards towards the place recently but I guess there's some good equipment in there like that wheely chair I got to juuust the right height.
badges of authority
0 got us authorization with fancy titles and all that. I’m quite sure it was just so that he would have an even easier time tracking nosing into my business but if it helps keep the mall security and traffic cops of the world off our backs I’m willing to write it off as an acceptable trade.
false identities
In addition to the shiny badges we also got our complimentary piles of forged paperwork. Granted I don't know much about the whole secret identity thing but I would imagine there are some of of who would prefer having more than domino masks to fall back on.

Which of the Sentinels did you most look up to and why? Tell me an interesting fact about them

Mr Blizzard he fought eco criminal sorts but eventually he started working towards repairing the damage they caused too I mean he’s accomplished so much with his nonprofit organizations and wildlife rehabilitation grants all while being a yeti made of ice. I’ve never been much of an outdoors person but its inspiring that he got there from spending most of his time just throwing cars at people.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

As usual when dealing with goons the apps were generally of a high quality. Honestly I would have taken all of you if I was insane. Unfortunately I'm not, Yet... So the lucky few are:

Troubleshooter the Janus played by Yami Fenrir
Asteria the Bull played by Tricky
Claret the Reformed played by Old Kentucky Shark
The Courageous Pureheart the Beacon played by Tardzilla
Voidblade the Protege played by Theantero
Gigantress the Star played by GodFish

Congratulations to you guys and good luck in the future for everyone who didn't make it. So if people could settle up their influence and post their character sheets on the discord we can start to get this show on the road.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Asteria knew you from your civilian life first.

I actually remember her from work. She worked as an intern once. Wonder of she recognized me too? Could be problematic...

You refused to tell Voidblade your secret identity when they asked.

Yeah, no. I'm not about to tell the kid with the PSYCHO vigilante dad who I am. For all I know he's going to decide I maybe skirted the line a bit too much and targets me over it? Possibly even at home? Just... no.

Influence:

You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

Asteria is someone she knew previously before joining the team. She can't belp but be influenced by the familiarity.

Courageous Pureheart's optimism and ethusiasm is something Troubleshooter finds really refreshing and encouraging, given that Anna tends to be more of a quiet person herself.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

quote:

You and The Courageous Pureheart teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.

Yeah so, basically what happened? I was minding my own business, doing a solo patrol to pass the time and you know, because Dad demanded I do it, I've got to learn 'how to hunt vermin for myself' right? So anyways, I just happened to come across this absolutely adorable lil' button hassling some goons with her uhhh... frankly somewhat limited phasing powers, so I just jumped in there, did some tricks, the works you know? We talked a bit afterwards, and I was just really taken in by her moxie. Like, when I whine to Dad about what heroes should be like? This girl here is basically that! Bright and idealistic and sweet. So whenever I went to solo patrols, I made it a point to seek her out, just to get a taste of that refreshing attitude of hers.

...Never told her about Dad though. I hope she won't take it too bad if she ever finds out.

quote:

Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on Claret.

Ok. So, this is a huge surprise I know, but Dad is not really super big on the whole concept of you know... redemption? Only black and white in that world of his. So he's told me to be wary of this kid, alongside with horror stories of all the things her bloodline has done. I mean, in many ways she's just like me I think, in that she refused to actually do any of that stuff that her elders demanded. We could almost be kindred spirits in that way, hah.

I'm keeping blessed silver knives in my sleeves though. Just in case.

quote:

Influence
The Courageous Pureheart gets one because she's the one person here who Voidblade most hangs around with
Troubleshooter gets another because on one hand Voidblade is really curious why she's even more secretive of her identity than she is of her own, and on the other hand wants to prove her trustworthiness.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Gigantress

Chantae might wind up being more of a star than me some day.
She's a real threat to my demographic appeal, really capturing the same bad girl kind of attitude but with a side issue of redemption and temptation plot-lines. It's a pain, but I think I can out market her. Doesn't help that she has pointy teeth too, even if mine are more appealing.

Troubleshooter would be a great sidekick; I try to keep them around.
Her skill-set is like, the exact opposite of mine, it's pretty great. She can hang around and take care of the boring stuff like opening doors and hacking systems for important information while I do the heavy lifting and showy stuff, a match made in marketing heaven! She can even be a bit showy fighting, and having a side-kick who looks good, especially if its not as good as you is an important part of being a hero!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Asteria

Gigantress is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

"Okay, um. Full disclosure? Noblesse wasn't the only superhero I had a lot of merch of. I mean, Gigantress is so cool and I really like her no-poo poo-taken style and... well, when I ended up fighting side by side with her? That was basically the best thing to ever happen to me. I've told her a bit about what happened to me and, y'know, some of the other stuff that sucked even before that. And, yeah, maybe 'Own that poo poo! People love a good sob story!' wasn't the most tactful way of putting it, but it helped me put it all in perspective. I've got the tools to be a big drat hero now and, hell, it doesn't matter one way or another what people think."

The Courageous Pureheart is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

"For all that Gigantress is the devil on my shoulder trying to get me to cut loose and have some fun with it, Casey is like the angel trying to tell me to just chill out and maybe not break stuff all the time. First off, I never asked to break stuff super easily. It just happens. Second off? Maybe I'm not the problem, huh? Maybe all of this crap isn't Halcyonians With Extraordinary Powers compliant. I mean, sure, I don't think they've ever clocked my max strength... and it seems to be growing, but... well, maybe they shouldn't make things out of figurative cardboard. And maybe Casey should be more understanding that I'm just trying my best!"

Gigantress and The Courageous Pureheart also get my precious, precious influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I’ve earned the trust of Asteria, and I follow their example of what a hero should be.

Since so much of hero-ing consists of tedious rules and dull moralizing, like all those lectures about what is and is not appropriate attire to wear to a press conference, it's refreshing to meet a hero that understands what really matters; hitting bad people so hard they don't get up again. Because, spoiler alert, I've been on the other side and we're way more scared of the moral-orels of the hero world. It's like Asteria always says: "something-something-power, something-something-responsibility".

I did something terrible to Troubleshooter once. I hope they can forgive me one day.

Look, it's not my fault, okay? How was I to know that she was hiding inside those computer files when i uploaded them into the... doo-hickey? Thumb-thingy? Look, I'm a cat-burglar, not a hacker. Was a cat-burglar. Anyway, Troubleshooter gets the dubious distinction of being the only superhero I've ever carried around in my back pocket.

Influence
Do you talk openly about your days as a villain? If so, give each team member Influence over you. If not, just give Influence to the one teammate whose example you most closely follow.

• Locked thread