Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MrYenko posted:

It’s worth noting that pretty much everyone rates their cars mileage at or about 55-60mph, not the normal-for-me 80mph...
The best thing about driving an electric car is driving on small twisty roads at 45 mph when the recommend speed is 35. The low center of gravity and the instant torque are great for little twisty roads.

Driving at 80 eats the hell out of range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

80 MPH driving is fine as long as you have a car with high (120kW+) speed charging, and plentiful DC fast charging options available.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Nfcknblvbl posted:

80 MPH driving is fine as long as you have a car with high (120kW+) speed charging, and plentiful DC fast charging options available.

My Y is great for my needs. My only demand was that it comfortably go round trip between San Antonio and Austin (70 miles each way) with charge left to play around with.

So 200 miles of beating the hell out of it range is perfect for me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Made by Japan's Chrysler

:vince:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

poo poo, you never heard that one before?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
My model 3 has finally arrived in Chicago. My sales advisor sent me a picture; it is covered in dust and dirt but at least its blue this time! Delivery is good to go on Wednesday.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Japan's Chrysler feels charitable at this point with the poo poo that's gone down

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Japan's Delorean

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Probably right thread....

I have a project that I'm kinda giving some thought to. I have a crashed WRX that in effect is worthless and it has some big floor damage which if I want to so something crazy this is the shell to do it on.

Lets presume I have access to one of these -

And I want to not be too limited in the amount of power I can throw into the motors without meltdowns. I sorta have some hazy idea but I havent really kept up with the latest in controllers and power managements, nor battery packs. So in this case I have a possible driveline, a car that I can cut and shut however I want, I can get fabricated anything I want and this car would be in the main a hillclimber / supersprinter where I would probably only need 20 mins of flat out maximum and most likely swap the batteries between sessions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911577 - that's given me ideas but I'd be keen to hear more thoughts. And yes, IF I do this it'll be AWD. Because you know, it's not challenging enough to just simply do it as a RWD for something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo, you never heard that one before?

No, and I love it.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Today in trying to charge the E-Tron at am EA America charger: Audi app kept showing a white screen, car wouldn't negotiate with the charger at anything more than 2.7kw/h.

I'm starting to think I should have just got a model Y. I am currently 0 for 2 on EA chargers. Luckily I don't do much super long range driver where I'd be stuck for hours but this isn't acceptable. I would think the 200 million dollar diesel scandal settlement would have actually produced decent charging infrastructure. Also the piss-take of the MMI showing me nearby gas stations when searching for an electric charger.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That is super unfortunate. My Spark EV doesn't have CCS charging, but I've read that those that do only work at certain EA chargers. Like, it depends on who manufactured the DCFC unit. I get it, things are hard to do correctly, but poo poo like that is why I'm so :tinfoil: thinking that car companies want to look like they're trying to make EVs work while actively sabotaging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932649

We're gonna go for round three here.