Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Although the land my house is on used to be a sweet potato farm and actually has topsoil so maybe I'm just lucky.

edit- I kegged some beer today, sanitizer everywhere as usual haha.

I saw this and I was like "Holy gently caress! this thing is a great idea! gently caress buckets!"
Then I saw they want like $100 and I was like "holy gently caress, gently caress this thing!"

Then I was trying to figure out ways to make one, and I think it would actually suck rear end unless you welded inexpensive food grade metal sheeting or something. Maybe you could do the same thing with pvc pipe and some fittings but it'd still be expensive and probably not worth it. Unless you are a skilled metal or glassworker I don't know that you'd be able to effectively reproduce this for cheaper than they sell it. It's obvious that the angle of the separatory part is pretty important and that's the key to a successful reproduction. Maybe you could like braise copper together or something idk. Guess i'll have to stick to buckets for now.

Does it work as well as I imagine it does?

autism ZX spectrum posted:

This is the top, I sprang for one with a hose barb. It's great. The rubber thing is the wire grommet, I had to stretch it out before it would fit.

This is the finished setup, everything wired into place to prevent it from getting knocked over or bumped.

Since the room I'd normally use for this is full of junk and furniture form the ongoing renos, I'm keeping this in the basement/cellar. Obviously not ideal for fermentation temperatures but it doesn't dip below 20 or so I think so it should be okay.

I did this exact thing yesterday except I skipped the wire and spent $1 extra for the "food grade approved" bucket, I dunno if it would actually matter or not, but the gasket on the lid is def a different material. Instead of some fitting I used a screw driver and a pair of tweezers to bore a small hole in the lid, less than 1/4", and then forced a random length of 1/4" vinyl tubing thru. Kinda semi hard and opaque tube not like that yours. It's an airtight seal.
    So then I put in
    • The juice and zest of
    • A grapefruit
    • 2 sweet lemons
    • A lime
    • 2 blood oranges
    • 2 of the bigass tangerines
  • 2 earl grey teabags
  • Cardamom
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg
  • Clove
  • Frankincense
  • 12 LBS honey
  • 3 gallons water
  • A pack of champaign yeast
I dunno I feel like this is potentially too sweet we'll see. It filled past 4 gallons. Boiled nothing just sloshed the gently caress out of it once everything was in. I even forgot to wake up the yeast. Checked it this morning and there was no bubble action going on at all. I was like "aw gently caress i'm gonna have to try and warm this up to get it started, otherwise it might get infected or something" and when I went to move the airlock tube it jetted out a massive amount of gas that had built up but was still too low of a pressure to force all the way through the water weight of the airlock. Based on the smell this might be the best batch I've ever made but only time will tell.

I also do the basement ferment because I literally don't care how long it takes. I have a smaller batch that's 3 lbs honey, and like 1 lb of homemade raspberry jam that hosed up and turned into a huge jolly rancher, then filled up to a gallon. It's trucking along but I think it will be too raspberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also I think they hosed u on that grommet, I think the grommet is supposed to fully fit inside the hole and the flanges part would protect both the upper and lower sides of the lid from getting crushed when you torque down the fittings

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was doing gallon jugs with the cap mostly on and the flys were annoying as gently caress but couldn't get in. Running a tube thru water like autism zx got them to leave.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
in my more extreme bachelor days we just bought half gallons of that non-booze cider from the produce department and left them open on the kitchen table for a while. It was very natural. I did the same thing with sourdough but some assholes spit in the starter and poo poo like that

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Right so my blackberry / raspberry mead is basically done already. I'm gonna give it maybe a few more days to see if it depressurizes itself, but it seems like it's getting extremely close to completion. I already racked it once when it stopped visibly bubbling, but it's still active enough that more yeasts fell out of circulation and enough gas pressure has reformed to clear the tube that's in the airlock. I use random jars full of water that a little tube goes down into.

My big batch full of zests and stuff is berserk outta control, at one point the airlock was looking like it was boiling. I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

A week or two ago, idk, I noticed the airlock water was getting hazy. I smelled it and it smelled great, very citrusy, very spicy. Over time tho, it's been getting hazier and hazier. I figured it was either a little sugar somehow got in and it was like gross bacteria or something, or there was the possibility that the water was dissolving something from the airlock gas. Or maybe some kind of emulsion of droplets that are too small to see.

Today I smelled it again and it's very mild but similar. Less spice smell.

I put my finger in and tasted it, and for sure something crazy as gently caress is going on.

It tastes... different. Extremely weird, not like anything else I've tasted. You can tell it's sorta citrus, but not, it doesn't really taste anything like that. It's very clean, if that makes any sense. Not like some kinda cleaner, but pure? Somewhat bitter, somewhat sour, and some kind of flavor that's not-sweet-but-like-sweet. It has no sweetness to it but it tastes good like a sweet flavored thing does, and reminds me of grapefruit for sure, and maybe limes (makes sense cause I threw them in the bucket). It has a very strange character to it that's much much different though. You know that feeling you get when you brush your teeth when you should have done it already? Like all the nasty mouth taste got stripped away? The parts of my mouth that the airlock water touched felt like that for a long time.

Anybody know what the gently caress this is? Has some fraction of essential volatile oils been dissolved in the airlock? It's fuckin weird as hell, but it seems good. I've decided that I'm going to start another duplicate batch but I want to figure out a better way to more effectively capture this stuff, if it's possible. I'm kinda at a loss to describe this, other than I think it's good and weird. You can tell it's alike to the things I put in the batch, but there's something about it that's a lot different than any of those, or all of them combined, or anything I have experience with.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Dregs posted:

Is it like a tannin flavor? I don't know.

I thought mead was supposed to sit and mature for like months, which is why I never bothered making it. If yours goes well, I may mix me up a gallon.

if you mean like tea or grape skins, then no.

The thing is, at least this run went fast. I don't know for sure cause every time I do it I forget to write down any details, but I want to say this jolly rancher gallon went thru at least a month of active brewing. But one pack of champaign yeast is supposed to be enough for 5 gallons, I dumped the whole thing in a one gallon batch. Maybe it being summer also had an effect.

Unlike the couple times I brewed beer, mead does have to mellow out even after the final rack, it comes out hot but it doesn't really take that long to get done imo. You can drink it hot if you're an rear end in a top hat, it's probably not the taste of the deadly alcohols, but letting it hang out in bottles is a good idea.

It's kinda tricky to make something that actually tastes good tho. I mean, it comes out alright and gets you drunk, and some people are fans, but all my batches have some kind of flaw to them. I'm hoping it's just yeast related like forgetting them and letting them sit on dregs for too long, or using a lovely yeast for idiots like mom's expired bread yeast.

Imbroglio posted:

I think it's this. CO2 is used to extract things like this industrially (I think it's usually really cold though, so IDK if it's the same effect). Sounds like you've basically made la croix.

Yeah I think this is what it is too. Maybe it's not industrial grade extraction, but something is coming out and getting trapped. "I accidentally made la Croix" is a good way to put it. Like that but it tastes way weirder.

I want to exploit this I think, so I'm thinking for the next batch i'll buy a length of pipe, cap one end, and put the gas tube to a fitting near the bottom so that the bubbles have the longest time in contact with the water. Doing it like that means the airlock will only work for higher pressures though, and if I do something like have a hugely long pipe then the mead might carbonate in the bucket and that would be real bad.

Probably i'll just buy the longest length I can fit in my car and go from there. If I take water out I can lower the required pressure for it to bubble. It's getting out of hobotech but I think there's ways to put baffles in the pipe to make extraction more efficient.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Dregs posted:

If anyone wants some cheap fermenting vessels, I was at the local H-Mart (It's a Korean grocery) and they had big glass jars that were exactly the same thing as those $40 dollar Big Mouth Bubblers for about 10 bucks. They came in several different sizes, too. No need for an airlock on them, the threads are just loose enough to release excess co2.

gently caress, I want giant cheap glass jars

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rutibex posted:

those are some fine rear end glass jugs. whoever threw them out is a monster

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Holy poo poo, I racked my berry mead into a two liter and some random jars and it came out basically perfect. It still needs a while to mellow out but goddamn.

Slightly sweet, good berry and honey flavor, very strong. Put it somewhere cool to hang out, I'm thinking it'll be done within another month maybe.

By far the most important parts were using Champaign yeast and making sure to keep it from sitting on the yeast after hard fermentation was done.

Strongly considering finding some brewery job or going to school or something. I'm slightly drunk and had maybe a cup worth. Need to figure out a way to make it even better. I'd do this as a job for sure.

I think the next batch I make might be maple. Maple and maybe some spice, I dunno.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no way man don't breath it, let it set in the bottle for a while. It'll self-regulate that turbobooze smell and taste. This is the longest phase of mead because it feels like a century. I am not a professional but that's what I do.

You could let it sit open and that bullshit will go away, but it also degrades other desirable flavors imo. My evidence of this is I did a few batches and would filter them into bottles. The first bottles were always the best, the last bottles that were most exposed to air were the worst. All of it was alright except the time I put in bananas, it would just have less flavor the longer it was open.

I get the cheapest honey and doctor it up with bullshit so I can't really help. I feel like anything that's not wildflower or maybe clover you want to emphasize or play off of it's flavors in an interesting way.

Today i'm going to burn the honey first. Throw it in a pot and caramelize. Once it turns black i'll mix it with half the water, then do maple syrup. I'm thinking 2/3 honey 1/3 maple. This poo poo is coming out of the finished bottle fuckin black. Some real Halloween poo poo. I'll limit it to a gallon and if it turns out good i'll start doing some actual production. If this blackberry turns out like I think it will, and the orange one is also like that, i'm just gonna start cranking out gallons and selling them outta a van.

Next one after the halloween one I might try to find actual honey not out of a dumpster. I'm interested in trying to make a matcha, just matcha and honey. I was earlier thinking of doing a perique + some herbs, but after consideration I'm not convinced that mead is suited to herbs.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Glad to see old labour traditions still exist somewhere!

I have a question that you guys might be able to answer. How do you keep yeast alive? Like, if I wanted to not have to buy yeast again and just keep a culture in the fridge (probably) for when I need some. I know sourdough starters can be kept alive, can I do the same with champagne yeast?

yeah the way i heard it basically you take all the dregs off the previous batch and either immediately start a new batch or you can fridge them in an old pop bottle or whatever. It'll be harder to wake the yeast back up vs new yeast, and over time their qualities will evolve as they adapt to how you run things. You're probably gonna wanna to keep them in rotation. I don't know if there's a way to redry them for longer storage or whatever.

I dunno about really doing this tho, because I throw a ton of crazy poo poo in my batches so the bottom yeast layer gets mixed in with like exhausted spice dust and orange peels and poo poo, and I just use a new pouch of yeast so that poo poo doesn't get in to the next batch.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
gently caress that ferment it in those lovely plastic jugs the juice comes in

if you're using actual apples buy u a gallon spring water, dump the water in somewhere clean, throw your crushed apples or whatever in there, throw in your yeast, top the water back up

Leave a shoulder's head space and throw a pricked balloon over the mouth, or drill a hole in the cap for a tube into a cup of water

once it stops bubbling or the balloon falls over use a tube to siphon the booze off the yeast that fell to the bottom of the jug. Let it sit in this second jug till you drink it or the rest of the yeast falls down to the bottom of that one, or whatever

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
One thing about the hobo jug technique is you don't have to wash the jug it's pre washed from the bottler. Depending how you do things you can get away without sanitizing anything because the ingredients are coming straight out of a sanitary container into a sanitary container.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fuckin fatal. This happened to me with bananas when I was still using balloons, what a mess. So much pulp the final booze had a hosed up vegetable flavor like a banana peel. I just stick to zest+ juice now. Maybe it would have worked if I had let them go completely black.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I dumps it in the stationary tub. best way to get er started is spit in th mash

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

dreadmojo posted:

GBS Hobo Wine Thread: All the kerosene and butthole flavor is gone

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
wanted to check in and say my blackberries are not really carbonating but they're also not really dumping a lot of sludge to the bottom either

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

alpaca diseases posted:

A couple years ago I brought one of these from a garage sale for like $30 and drat son it is legit

STAINLESS-STEEL BIO-CERAMIC MAGNETIC TWIN GEARS

$449.95

drat that was a score

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nah gently caress that it's against the tenets of hobo that I've sworn to uphold

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Smdh you should only be ordering maybe yeast everything else you already got on hand

For apple making GBS threads goon, does drinking the juice do the same thing? These days I don't even put in the whole fruits I either crush them to juice or buy the juice with no preservatives in. If it's zestable I put the zest of the peel in too.

I'd probably put in things like cherries or nectarines or kiwis. Stuff that has flavor in the peel but can't be zested, or can't easily be juiced by hand. Probably grapes I would do like that too.

Use the drat jug the juice or water came in imo. Unless you're getting into bigass batches even then the buckets is cheap. use an old jerry can or some poo poo

I got my poo poo hosed up so the bochet gotta wait I still never started it. I also wanna do a macha tea, and eventually a pomegranate. For sure a pit fruit.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I didn't take any pics cause I was afraid to drop my phone in 10000° molten honey, but this is what I did:

2 lbs honey
Sugar-equivalent maple syrup (came out 3 bottles)
Gallon apple cider (the non alcoholic unfiltered apple juice)

Dumped the syrup in a gallon jug
Dumped the honey in a clean pot
Used cider to wash out the honey bottle, dumped it in the jug
Thew yeast in the jug

Boiled the honey for 50 minutes. It got increasingly dark, and the smell went from honey, to caramel x honey, to "interesting," to obviously bad. I got spooked and cut the heat before it went black, but the taste isn't really like the smell so I probably could have gone the full hour, maybe a little longer.

I stirred the whole time, this went well. Started off with the heat cranked and reduced the heat steadily over time (boiling viscous fluids are dangerous especially if they start popping). About the last third it was as low as it could go, just keep it safely simmering.

After I cut the heat I stirred for ten more minutes until it completely stopped bubbling and began to recondense into fluid instead of foam. Then I carefully dribbled in tiny amounts of cider and mixed them until it was safe to dump a whole honey bottle worth. It will explode if you just slosh water in. Then I mixed it, dumped it in the jug, rinsed the pot with cider one more time and used this plus maybe a half gallon more to top off the brew jug.

It tastes super fuckin... I don't even know. I think it'll be good but we'll have to wait. My only worry is that the honey solution was too hot and hosed up the yeast, but I figure if it doesn't start fermenting in a day or so I'll just repitch. If I had a press I would probably just make my own apple juice, and depending on the results I might wanna boil the honey to full black next time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this was probably the best way to go about it. When I did it I threw a bunch of bananas straight in with some strawberries and they completely disintegrated to fiber while the strawberries transformed into grey amorphous chunks that didn't break down past a smushy texture. This clogged up the airlock and exploded sludge all over everything. The end result tasted mostly like boozy-sweet strawberry banana peel. Probably letting it age would help a lot but I ended up just dumping it and it was my worst batch ever, the only one that was truly bad instead of lame.

My burnt honey one took off fine and is steadily bubbling. Citrus is also still in primary and won't be done this year. For some reason I expected it to go faster, idunno, but it's looking like it will probably take more than a whole year to finish. I guess my previous batches of mead were the actually rapid flukes and it really does take a long loving time to get results.

I took the blackberries out of the fridge to see how they tasted and how they were carbonating, basically no change at all so I left them out with my other batches. They sorta tasted worse than right before I bottled them. Kerosene is still going but slightly blunted, actual berry flavor was strongly suppressed. Maybe it's just cause they were cold because I tasted one again just now and it was much better. Strong flavors of jet fuel, blackberries and raspberries. I think they're pretty strong alcohol wise, but I don't have a way to measure and didn't measure before fermentation anyway. It's a little sweet and really probably too tart. I'll let them hang out a few days and only put them back in the fridge if it looks like they'll explode, they're carbonating pretty quick now.

The right yeast does have a huge impact and unless you have a lot of stuff to mask and meld flavors using ma's expired bread yeast is going to give poorer results for certain. I need to figure out a better way to do this on the cheap tho, I want better, more perfect results than what I'm getting. My burnt honey one was the most expensive by far, by the way. Around $30 for a gallon due to the high price of maple syrup. It's gonna be the riskiest batch I think, just because it tastes good but really weird even before fermentation. If it works it'll be drat near concentrated fall flavor which is what I was going for, maybe only lacking wood chips to give it that real bonfire note, and the smell of the leaves would be impossible to catch except for some apex master brewer.

Citrus might end up too tart or too sour but I don't think it can go really bad. Might need to adjust the spices for the next batch to make it more summery.

I want to do one that'll just be honey and macha so it tastes fresh like spring, but I'm thinking it may become bitter, depending on when I put the macha in. Any advice on springtime flavors? If I could snag holly flowers right as they open up that would probably do it but it'll be a while till they come out next year.

I also need to do a winter batch and will probably buy another 5 gallon and just repeat my heavily spiced one today. I'd been going with mostly nutmeg and cinnamon. Maybe I should huck in a few cloves.

If I have to leave these bottles in the fridge because otherwise they'd blow up, will the kerosene flavor still go away in a reasonable timeframe, or is it going to take a goddamn earth's orbit now that they're sealed? No traces of butthole so I'm halfway there. Probably I should have done at least one in a real wine bottle like I usually do but it's too late now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
just coldbrew the beans in the fermentation vessel while it's fermenting, two birds with one stone

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah but wouldn't strength be capped by max extraction? I would assume you'd end up sucking every bit out of those fuckers if they're actually in for as long as fermentation goes. Regular coffee would be like a day, so just vary the bean amount to the level of coffee you want. You could probably estimate by mixing various ratios of regular cold brew that you let set for a week or whatever into your wine, and then use that ratio to decide how many beans you like. It would dilute the wine tho so it's not going to be super representative of the end result of letting them steep during fermentation

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
see I always was under the impression that some parts of the beans wouldn't come out in cold brew at all because they're insoluble at that temp, but come out in hot water.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I gotta make sure to slosh the mead because the honey forms a dense layer in the bottom and won't naturally disperse. I figure if you don't got anything laying around in the bottom of the fermenter it'll be fine.

raspberry update: letting it sit out on the basement floor has improved it a lot. Kerosene is down and carbonation is up, but I feel like it'll still be a while until it fully mellows, which is unfortunate.

I decided i'm starting up another big batch, this one will be spiced for winter. I think I'm going to try to capture any aromatic flavors that would normally get offgassed, and my thinking is to buy a bottle of decent vodka and use it as the airlock. My main concern is that it will work, but make the whole house smell like a booze pool. Considering running that bottle through a second airlock of just water. It would probably be better to run the vodka exhaust through some kind of condenser but I don't have any such thing. Any ideas?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah mine don't as long as I actually use an airlock. a balloon with a hole in it or a lid that's not screwed on all the way will be fly city tho

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You mean getting pre ground or grinding beans yourself?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

PokeJoe posted:

No he wants the vodka to collect the aromatic compounds that bubble up so he can dump it back in the fermenter I think

This except drink it.

Coffee will be interesting. Seems like something that can go either way.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

PokeJoe posted:

Hmm drinking it is a real interesting idea that I never considered. I wonder if you'll get slightly carbonated vodka out of it.

possibly. I ended up dumping out the water that was in my citrus airlock because it had dust and poo poo getting in, it tasted great but gently caress that. When I was dumping it was slightly fizzy but I don't really think it was carbonated, just saturated with mystery booze gasses. I mean it was almost white and I had to rinse out the decanter I was using -- when I put new water in it instantly went a paler white. It's possible this was gross bacteria or something but I really don't think so:
  • One time in the old days I had an aquarium full of snails and shrimp that I would throw random table scraps into, and once I threw the leafy chopped off parts of strawberries. This caused some kind of microbial bloom because of the sugars, and the quality of the opaqueness was somewhat different. Also smell.
  • It still tasted fine even when it was drat milky looking, and was strongly like citrus and spices and some weird hard to pin down flavors. If it was bacteria I would expect it to taste bad.
  • It had a really strange mouthfeel that seemed almost like it was cleaning out my mouth, and if I drank more than a tiny drop the flavors would kinda hang out for a while.
  • It left no residue in the decanter at all. I put in one extra amount of water, shook it, dumped it, and then the next time I filled it it was clear and normal smelling/tasting.
So I think this points to some kind of odd emulsion or barely dissolved gasses or something and not necessarily dissolved co2. I wonder if vodka would more readily capture whatever comes out or not. This upcoming batch won't have citrus so it's not a good test, but I'm betting having ethanol in the trap will prevent the milkyness, whatever causes it. After the citrus batch is done I'll immediately repeat the exact same batch and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Jim Long-un posted:

this thread is a fun read and I salute you crazy motherfuckers using your brew knowledge to just throw poo poo in a pot and see what happens. you are the true Magellans of our time :patriot:

using my sextant to plot a course to Terra Boozo as we speak
boozeland will be charted one way or the other

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Friend posted:

Boy I suck at this. I got suspicious when my wine never did the big foamy thing I've seen in videos, just some piddly rear end bubbles like sparkling water. Apparently I wasn't supposed to put the airlock on for the first few days, and was supposed to put the yeast in water before dumping in. Oops.

I rubberbanded a paper towel over the top to give it some air, hopefully it picks up steam and isn't dead :ohdear:

just cap the jug, slosh it real fuckin hard and put the airlock on, see if that helps. sometimes they get a slow start and it takes 2-3 days to get rip roarin

that Washington cider's expensive as gently caress, goddamn

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
you should be able to get that gallon for the cost of the 16oz

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
so my raspberry one is starting to become good now. Still really tart but more rounder flavor. Got kind of an "animally" smell I associate with fermented honey, and a winey smell from the fruit. I am not a somnleileir. Probably a few more weeks till it gets more normalized.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
alright, so i'm thinking of going with a real renegade concoction. I got a shitload of tiny ultra powerful crab apples.

I'm thinking of taking a bigly amount, chopping out all the stems and seeds, and then simmering them till all the juice is out.
take this strained juice, maybe 4 lbs of honey, and then a handful off black and szechuan pepper, and maybe a little salt or baking soda
water it to a gallon

The idea behind the salt or soda is the same as in noon chai, to enhance the pinkness and the flavor, but I think it might gently caress everything up super goddamn weird. The crabapples are drat near as sour as a sweet lemon.

It'd be more ideal to get a steam juicer or lab glass but I don't want to really buy anything else.

What's the thread's take?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SerCypher posted:

I finished my first batch of stuff.

1) Some random watermelon strawberry juice from the store. Added sugar and fermented in bottle. Not sure if I added too much sugar but it was vinegary and sweet at the same time and tasted bad. Dumped it out after 10 days even though it was still bubbling

2) Apple Juice (on sale for 99cents per 2liters) + White Sugar + Frozen Concentrate
Stopped bubbling after 8 days. Bottled it back in the sterilized bottles it came in and added campden. Tastes alright. Sort of dry and very acidic. Opened one bottle now and leaving the other 6 liters to age.

I'm onto cider round 2 now. I bought more cheapass apple juice, and added brown sugar this time. Activated the yeast and dumped it last night, now it's bubbling away. I'll see how this one tastes.

Depending on what happens I'll probably choose if I like white or brown sugar better, and then try adding some spices and stuff for my 3rd batch. I want to do 4 or 5 batches before I actually invest in any additional equipment. Currently I'm using a waterjug as my fermenter and just bottling everything back in the containers they came in after hosing them down with starsan.

#1 might be if there were any live cultures in the bottle, they continued to live and ate the booze and poo poo vinegar. The only places around here that sell "weird" juice like that are extremely probiotic live health unpasteurized juice style poo poo, so I could see them having acetobacters or whatever.

the 2gal is a good idea I never considered. Does it get all weird and smushy from being flipped sideways like that?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nutmeg, dog. think of apple pie on this.

IMO:
Cardamom is good for citrus like notes.
Nutmeg is just good.
Alspice also is good, it has a kind of jerk flavor to it. Be aware that some alspices won't be the actual berry from that tree, but a mix of like cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg (maybe no real difference)
Ginger is good but maybe not with your regular fruits, maybe something slightly unusual.
Vanilla can work with smokey or woody flavors, or just mellow stuff, but I don't know that I would use it with something striking like acidic fruits. Maybe it would round them out.

Usually i'd plan on doing strong spices either by themselves with only honey, or something that can fight the other flavors successfully and they can come to a good balance. Harsh fruits like citrus can stand up to strong spices I think.

take some of an "ok" batch and doctor up like a cup each with various spice profiles. The spices will mellow and infuse if you ferment with them so obviously the end result will be different. Dunno if you're gonna want to do it in primary or secondary, I haven't done enough batches to know the difference.

I used a heavy combo of cinnamon and nutmeg once, and it caused some weird poo poo go to down where if I took a picture of it in a glass it was loving neon red, but to the naked eye it was normal. Tasted pretty alright.

----

I made my parents taste the raspberry mead, their reactions were:
Mom: "Eugh it tastes like gross weeds"
Dad: "Hmmm. It's alright. It tastes like cough syrup."
So I need to do some considering then. I get pretty strong reactions in both directions with these.

----

So I have "an amount" of my powerful crabapples. I had a couple various sized jars that you can lock shut, I filled up my two biggest ones. This left maybe 1/3 or less on the tree, I figure the birds can continue to keep their share. I threw any of the ones that easily came off their stem, all the blotchy ones, and any weirdo looking ones out so the seeds can start a new tree (obviously this will encourage only the best and most flavorful to reproduce :v:).

It was rainy as gently caress and my neighbors were vocally concerned amongst themselves about what I was doing, but gently caress em' they didn't care when somebody broke in, I hope they think I'm making cyanide.

Anyway my plan is:
  • Take all the crabapples and try to quickly slice them in half. Dump all stems and seeds quick as I can, make sure there's no leaf fragments or anything.
  • Put all the apples in some cheesecloth and boil them in a pot. Enamel would prob be best but all I got really is steel.
  • Hang the crabapple piths above the pot so they can drip, probably only let em go for like an hour. I don't know that the juice will turn brown like apples do, but I really wanna try to keep the pinkness of these guys.
  • Dump all the liquid in with honey, go way sweeter than normal.
  • Add black & red peppercorns.
  • Throw in a little salt. Apparently for those salt beers you do ".5-1 oz per 5 gallon" and I figure that ratio is a good baseline. I'll go with seasalt. If I didn't have any I always got kosher.
    Side options:
  • Dump the skins in with the apple juice, this will give max chance of getting max pinkness
  • I have a couple grams of spruce sap, slam dunk them tree tears directly into the fermenter, hopefully this will give a "mysterious forest" kinda vibe

Honestly i'm considering keeping the skins and pith in the fermentation, but it sorta sucks because that squeezes out room that should be for finished booze, and I don't trust that mealy garbage at all. Good way to Chernobyl the reactor, but it would make the whole process faster and less messy if it doesn't explode.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Nah I want the end result booze to be pink as I can get out of it is what I mean. I'm not gonna be chewing the apples after the fact. Strawberries did the same thing, turned grey but made the booze pinker. I'm guessing it'd be like wine where the skin makes the color.

I never sterilize anything that I throw in because I don't give a gently caress. Most recent batch I only put in juice and zest. I washed off the fruit and went at it scraping the outer skins and then juicing the rest. It was a pain in the rear end cause I don't have any kinda juicer.

Previous batch was basically home canned fruit + honey

Before that I threw in strawberries. Wash them first with just tap water, chop them up and throw em in. Maybe not a good idea.

This time I think I'll just boil all the fruit in water for like ten minutes and then use the whole gross mash. I'll do a two gallon & stretch the crabapples instead of cramming them into one single gallon.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
When I bottled my raspberry mead I had a half mason jar that over time got a little vinegary but it wasn't really that intense.

I still keep tasting this stuff over time and I think it gets better. It has a powerful up front raspberry tang that's backed by honey and I dunno some almost vanilla-y or woody taste? Just taking so goddamn long to mellow.

Pops says it tastes like cough syrup like I said before, but I think it's good. At the same time I haven't had medicine beyond aspirin in years so maybe it's fuckin trash and I got the wacked out palate.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
so it's the time of year where it's getting cold and I don't have anywhere to put my brews other than where they are in the basement. They're slowing down drastically, but I don't know if this is because of temp or if they're actually approaching completion. Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
almost exactly 2 months ago I started one of the batches here in the thread. They just now started to slow down, I think they're probably not done yet but I don't really want to open them unless I gotta, but I also don't want them sitting on the lees or w/e either...

They're still bubbling just much more slowly than normal.