Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

finger of god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/nwswpc/status/1376041905138540545?s=21

https://twitter.com/nwsnashville/status/1376068297247055881?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Whoever makes the truck couldn't ask for better advertisement

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Milo and POTUS posted:

Whoever makes the truck couldn't ask for better advertisement

well, i mean, they would probably want you to remember who made the truck

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Does anyone have any updates regarding the situation in Texas ? It's completely off the news in Europe, but I doubt it means that the millions of people without running water or with unsanitary housing are doing well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Noosphere posted:

Does anyone have any updates regarding the situation in Texas ? It's completely off the news in Europe, but I doubt it means that the millions of people without running water or with unsanitary housing are doing well.

this is the status quo everywhere in America so it’s sorta faded into the background noise.

the legislature (luckily in session, only sits every other year! because why the gently caress not!) has proposed a bunch of bills to deal https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/...-14-storm-bills

there’s a bunch of evaluation going on right now mainly for insurance purposes but materially things just got ratcheted down to slightly shittier overall and will stay there

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Noosphere posted:

Pretty much everyone who lost water from the storm got theirs back and repairs completed by a week or two ago.

So now we are in the "corrupt government tries to pretend like they are doing something but actually doesn't" stage of the crisis cycle:

Texas Senate approves sweeping bill to address power grid failures

Sounds good right? But read past the headline and between the PR lines and you start to see it is worthless:

quote:

SB 3 requires all generation, transmission and natural gas facilities and pipelines in the state to weatherize equipment to ensure operation during extreme weather conditions. Companies could face a fine of up to $1 million if they fail to comply with the requirement."

"The bill does not outline who would foot the bill for weatherization: the state, energy companies or some combination of the two. Experts have said it could cost as much as $1 million per electric generation unit to weatherize, putting the price tag for all systems in the state in the neighborhood of $400 million."

Fines "up to $1 million". If you dig into it however the vast majority of fines are capped at $5k/day and even that is an "up to" deal. So the people who own and run the generation units are faced with a choice between paying a guaranteed $1M per unit to do proper weatherization (I've seen some people saying the $400m is a huge underestimate too, so it could be more) or half-rear end it and maybe at some point face a fine that might cost $5k/day but most likely will be a lot less if you say "we're vewwy vewwy sowwy, we thought we did a good job" loudly enough.

Oh and the corrupt government is also using this as a chance to gently caress over renewables which threaten to cost their fossil fuel industry patrons money:

Texas Senate passes bill aiming to counter federal subsidies for wind and solar power

quote:

Among the reforms of the state’s electric grid following last month’s deadly winter storms, Republicans in the Texas Senate have included new fees aimed at solar and wind companies that Democrats warn would damage the state’s standing as a national leader on renewable energy production, particularly wind power.

State Sen. Charles Schwertner, R-Georgetown, said while wind and solar have expanded in Texas, those are “unreliable” sources of energy because they cannot be called up at a moment’s notice during an emergency like the freeze in February.

To correct that, Schwertner said his bill will give the state’s grid monitor authority to create fees for solar and wind. As it stands now, he said billions of dollars in federal subsidies to wind and solar companies have “tilted” the market too much to benefit those sources of energy, and he aims to re-balance it.

Meanwhile half the population has some form of PTSD which is gonna make all future weather events really fun. gently caress this state.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Shifty Pony posted:

Pretty much everyone who lost water from the storm got theirs back and repairs completed by a week or two ago.

That's better news than I was dreading :toot:

Thank you both for your thorough answers. I guess all I can add is : lol Texas govt, I sincerely hope they'll be held accountable some day

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Noosphere posted:

That's better news than I was dreading :toot:

Thank you both for your thorough answers. I guess all I can add is : lol Texas govt, I sincerely hope they'll be held accountable some day

As much as it pains me, I must give a hearty lol.

Nothing is going to happen to them and the situation will most likely deteriorate even further.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zil posted:

Nothing is going to happen to them and the situation will most likely deteriorate even further.

this is a good thread title for at least half the threads in cspam

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/gunsnrosesgirl3/status/1376903156299366404

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

hurrirein

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

that's clearly a reindeer anticyclone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the same thing happened with worms in new jersey

https://www.livescience.com/amp/squirming-worm-tornado-new-jersey.html

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
animals are predicting an impressive hurricane season, ready lake charles

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
human nado when

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Between the worsening drought and temps already hitting high 80's, I'm sure pumpskin spice sky is going to be making a return in CA.

Tekne has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Apr 2, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

That could have went bad in many ways. It could have thrown that truck or something big could have smashed into them. Holy poo poo.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

him name hopperkin green can

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/AlbertRamonTV/status/1382090015774289921?s=20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
pretty cool how the infrastructure we are expecting to handle the massive variability caused by global warming can't even handle a normal day without risking complete collapse

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Stereotype posted:

pretty cool how the infrastructure we are expecting to handle the massive variability caused by global warming can't even handle a normal day without risking complete collapse

it's very difficult to get an industry to upgrade its infrastructure to withstand adversity when its paycheck depends on it not upgrading it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol it's snowing in KS right now. Judging by what I can see out my window it's about 2 inches so a solid winter snow for this area. Everything has green leaves and is flowering lol

I wonder how the artic circle is looking rn

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“high gen outages” a.k.a. “what Enron did”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol it's snowing in KS right now. Judging by what I can see out my window it's about 2 inches so a solid winter snow for this area. Everything has green leaves and is flowering lol

I wonder how the artic circle is looking rn

Yeah, we're getting that here in Ohio tonight, won't be cold enough to really stick though.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

in wisconsin we used to have an analog needle indicator for the seasons, now it's just two lights marked summer and winter and sometimes it just flips from one to the other, and sometimes it sticks and flickers between the two for a couple months

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, we're getting that here in Ohio tonight, won't be cold enough to really stick though.

yeah it all melted by the afternoon but we're getting another hard freeze tonight. really hoping this is the end of cold weather until late fall.

the cool thing about working from home is I don't have to hear anyone say "lol so much for global warming" since I'm not out and about

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So yesterday here in Orlando we got almost a month’s worth of rain in one day

https://twitter.com/ericburriswesh/status/1384824891824803840?s=21

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wonder if this will kill the cicadas, or just make them madder

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
cicadas are too stupid for Mad, they only have Horny and Dead in their toolbox

2.5" of rain in a day after a drought doesn't seem like the type of drought relief you need although I can't say how Florida infiltration rates are

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I already see holes all over my yard, they are coming

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GLOBAL WARMING MY rear end.. why is it snowing in April? - People who are idiots today

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Why in the name of God is there snow on the ground a month after I've started having to mow again?!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

cicadas are too stupid for Mad, they only have Horny and Dead in their toolbox

2.5" of rain in a day after a drought doesn't seem like the type of drought relief you need although I can't say how Florida infiltration rates are

it all runs off to the sea, theres no way for that much to be absorbed

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

it all runs off to the sea, theres no way for that much to be absorbed

that's only because the liberals refuse to dam the rivers because they're trying to protect some fish that's so tiny you can't even barely see it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if the fish all die anyway we can dam whatever we drat well please (provided its not a glacial or snowmelt fed river system rip)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah it all melted by the afternoon but we're getting another hard freeze tonight. really hoping this is the end of cold weather until late fall.

the cool thing about working from home is I don't have to hear anyone say "lol so much for global warming" since I'm not out and about

I'm sure I'll get to hear it from several people in the office tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

if the fish all die anyway we can dam whatever we drat well please (provided its not a glacial or snowmelt fed river system rip)

We will dam where we want! Deal with it!

- Floyd Dominy