Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Oh hey, a thread!

I picked this up apparently at the perfect time because I was itching for a turn based RPG to hold me over until Baldur's Gate 3 came out.

For my character I rolled up a baseline magus, I'm getting ready to enter the Troll fort and I just hit level 7 before I went to bed. I already respecced once to spec into Estocs, but the class seems incredibly tricky having to balance dex, con, and int. The character (and the half orc magus in my party too) are by and far the biggest burst damage dealers, but they also have total glass jaws and can't really hold up in a straight punch up. There also seems to be a lot of jank with regards to Magus in particular with how they interact with the turn based system. If I'm within move + attack distance of a monster and I go to cast shocking grasp on him, it's like 50/50 if I'll actually move into attack, or if he'll get hooked on terrain or another character, and stop a few steps into the move action. If the latter happens, the character never double attacks for the rest of the combat. I might try my second respect and reset into the Archer magus subclass to try and stay a bit further away from the scrum where my glass Jaw doesn't hurt so bad.

I dig the companions and how they interact with each other. Since getting to Chapter 2 I've gotten the tiefling, the Ranger, and the Alchemist and I think if I've been reading right I'm basically at the full compliment of story companions. Valerie is my homie, I'm deep enough into the story now where I've boosted her strength to "Good enough" levels and she's just an immovable object. An immovable object who is now taking levels in slayer :black101: with the devastation fighting style. Amiri is frustrating because that -2 BAB on her default weapon - I just wind up having her use that acid greataxe I found on the ruined tower map. I forgot how loving silly enemy AC scaling in 3 / 3.5 was and taking the -2 on the Ginomous sword really loving sucks vs just being able to hit more consistently. I just hit level 7 and this will be Octavia's first level of Arcane Trickster and I think she's one of the ones I was most surprised about her effectiveness, especially once I learned you can sneak attack spells.

It's interesting, because this really does scratch that 3.5 nostalgia itch I've been having, it's also reminding me of the reasons why I never want to play it pen and paper ever again (stacking floating point bonuses everywhere, so much save or die everywhere, holy poo poo some of the min/max is galaxy brained). I've been fully converted to the church of 5e and I'm hopeful of BG3. Until that point, I'm content with this, warts and all.

Been thinking of adding a couple of mercenaries to the mix to give me a bit more variety of party composition. Thinking of like a Sword and Board fighting style slayer or ranger, a monk, and a druid to round out and give me a bit more choices for front line fighters and heal-ish characters respectively. Maybe a Sylvian sorcerer, I've heard good things about them, but I feel like there's already a lot of really good competition for really solid ranged companions between Octavia sneak attacking telekenetic fisting action, Kanerah being effectively two characters in one that can swap on the fly, Ekun being a ranger in an edition where rangers were worth a poo poo, and Jubo being the trollslayer supreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Jubilost eventually can get a feat that allows him to chuck multiple bombs per round, same number as attacks he'd have instead of just one. They basically always hit and there's a few items that increase bomb damage and DC so he gets really ridiculous. IMO the most powerful companion.

Magus gets really tanky when you buff them up. Shield, Mirror Image, Barkskin, etc. Tankier than Valerie, even. 4 levels of Dragon Disciple for Reggie is a good pick.

Yeah, I just hit level 7 so I'm getting to the point of the 3.5 / pathfinder "melee scale linearly, casters scale exponentially" spectrum where buff durations, spell slots and scaling are really allowing me to play with the big boys a lot easier than I had been. Walking up and ganking someone with a crit shocking grasp is hilarious.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to get acquainted with it, but I'm also really really liking the kineticist companion so far. I like that they didn't just flatly rip off 3.5 warlock and they went in a really interesting different direction with it. The damage seems surprisingly good even if you're not pushing burn for the extra effects. Them being classed and geared separate is both really neat and also kind of frustrating at the same time because now I need to scrounge up another constitution belt and armor and the like.

The other comedy option is that, since I've already got Reggie for big magus action, doing a hard respec into a completely different class. Respeccing into like a Sylvian Sorceror or one of the Druid subclasses and going HAM with a doomcat/lizard.

Edit: vvvvv You'll take my turn based mode from me when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 9, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Oh hey, speak of the devil, apparently today's patch is suppose to fix the bug I mentioned earlier about character movement stopping before it should that I complained about like 6 posts ago. Rock on.

I keep thinking about adding in a merc and for whatever reason I have crippling decision anxiety since it's currently most of my money to recruit. Part of me wants a sword and board style person to be able to swap out Valerie, thinking like a Slayer or Paladin, but then part of me also thinks that if I do Slayer I kind of want to do one as a half orc with the orc double axe dual wield style.

I don't know what it is, but the more I look at the Slayer class, the more I want like 3 of them. For a straight melee class they seem incredibly versatile.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mordecai posted:

Amiri's base weapon can be ok, if you like huge single hits, by enlarging her and using vital strike. The -2 doesn't matter so much when only using the highest attack bonus. Good for movement-heavy fights and laughing at damage reduction.

If you use the item crafting mod where you can make and enchant your own oversized weapons, it might even be actually good.

Ehh, I got her the Trollslayer greataxe and it's pretty much flatly better than her baseline sword for the time being. I'm going to take a guess without knowing any spoilers that the sword is going to upgrade as she progresses through her personal story so I'm not too worried about it for the time being

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 10, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Roadie posted:

Amiri's big sword is a trap option because the only thing a Large bastard sword adds over a Medium one is 2d8 base damage instead of 1d10 (so average 3.5 damage), and you're taking a -2 penalty to hit for that in a game where every enemy has AC out the wazoo.

Reach weapons are also particularly valuable here because tripped creatures immediately try to get up instead of being able to fight from prone, letting you get multiple AoOs on them. Then add to how any creature being attacked by two enemies at once from any direction counts as 'flanked' and putting the Outflank feat on multiple characters and now you've potentially got a whole blender of attacks triggering off one action.

Yeah, the crazy AC scaling was like the biggest wake up call I had going back to old D&D after pretty much giving myself over fully to 5e when playing at FLGS / roll20. I get whiplash in this game sometimes going from a dozen fights where I bulldoze everything and am never under any threat to one where I may as well not even be wearing armor because they just cut through Valerie's armor like she's not even there.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Roadie posted:

It's not even an 'old D&D' thing, just the result of the insane scaling that Owlcat did that gives every enemy layered stat boosts on anything past 'Easy' difficulty.

Check out that Str 19, Dex 27, Con 22, Wis 20 trash mob bandit.

Isn't the standard difficulty such that everything does like -20% listed damage? The fact that Owlcat turbo-boosts their basic punk monsters like that and then dials it back for their baseline difficulty leaves me scratching my head because it makes it seem like they don't know how to balance their game.

I also feel like I'm being gaslit or have confirmation bias because I swear I'm getting :xcom:-ed like crazy. Consistently having sprees of nat 1s. My longest streak has been six 1s in a row on a monster that was at a 3 to hit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So did my game glitch out or is this normal?

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....&letterbox=true

I just finished the hilltop event after the Womb. In the runup to the hilltop event all these clouds showed up and I can't see the paths and trails now. Is there a setting that turns this poo poo off or does it go away in a little bit? It persists through quitting out of the game and reopening. If it doesn't go away is my game bugged?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Volte posted:

I'm finally powering through this game pretty well and having fun since the turn-based patch. Some of the difficulty spikes are a little insane though. I got around to doing a quest I had lying around for a couple of levels, figured I should knock it out (kill some Will-o-Wisps in a well, sounds easy enough since I fought a bunch of them nearby and won handily enough). Well, I pryed open the well and was instantly TPKed by like four surprise turns of devastating AOEs from the 11th level Wisps that appeared out of nowhere. Dick move, imaginary DM. It also took me four attempts to do the Tartuk and Hargulka fight because the first three I got completely pasted until I managed to get off a Hideous Laughter on one and a Hold Person on the other, then I won without taking any damage. The RNG is really really real.

Also glad to hear the cloud thing is actually a bug and will presumably get patched. I thought maybe I triggered some story thing that caused sinister clouds to roll in or something and would just have to deal with it for awhile.

Bring Mass Resist thunder on one of your clerics or the alchemist. Wisps only do thunder damage so mass resist thunder will completely neuter them even if you have problems hitting them.

Wisps are kind of fuckers in general, Once you figure out the mass resist thunder trick they aren't threatening, they are just a big pain in the rear end to hit and take forever to fight.

Edit: Gramted I'm not terribly much further than you, but Hargulka is like the hardest fight I've been through by far for where I'm at. When I fought him I got lucky and got a fear off on him so I could finish off Tartuk and got some free time for my dog to get some charge attacks while he was running. Otherwise during normal 1 on 1 fighting he would consistently kill Val in 1 round from full health and full buffs. He's obnoxiously strong.

Depending on how long it takes Owlcat to fix the world map fog bug, I might try and start up a new game to try and do the early game different, maybe try and do a Chaotic Stupid Druid or the Inquisitor variant that gets a pet, or maybe like a Orc Double Axe Slayer/ranger.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 16, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Investing in ways to hit semi-invisible things is going to be increasingly useful as you play the game so keep an eye out for spells/feats/items that help.

Yeah, invest in blind fighting on your main fighters by level 9 or so. You'll need it. Also bring a way to bring at least one immune to blindness to the second hill fight or you'll get trapped in some save or suck bullshit.

Edit ^^^^^^^^ Earth Kinetic Knights are also apparently turbo bullshit broken because they get absurdly powerful free trip attacks.

I think part of the reason why this game can feel so bullshit at times and like the invisible AI DM is super adversarial is because it's balanced around the crazy munchkin types who min/max to extreme degrees. They expect that you're intimately familiar with how the classes interact with each other and how to get peak performance via multiclassing and creative spell selection.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 16, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I broke my policy of not looking ahead in the story and just searched for the wild hunt and man :smithicide: Who at Owlcat thought that was a good idea?

At least I can look forward to the fact that I have that one heavy mace that does 2d6 damage and has permanent Freedom of Movement on it and the knowledge that it's going to be carried into the endgame.

My main character is level 10 now and while my main character (a vanilla magus) is really taking off and incredibly powerful, but I also feel like I can already see the point where they taper off from here. Especially now that my full casters are rolling in level 5 spells and getting into the really cool stuff, he seems like he's going to be behind the curve in terms of cool toys. I got my second mercenary (a Sylvian sorcerer with a big cat and loaded to the brim with summon spells) and I'm just kind of not feeling it - when the summoning spam was used against us by that one Goblin Shaman in the Goblin Fort, it worked because he was wildly overleveled and throwing summon Monster 7s at a group of level 9s and creating an impossible logjam that had to be dealt with by AoE fear from Harrim and Linzee. Monster Mashing seems to be much less effective when used against the enemy since I don't wildly outlevel what I'm fighting like Owlcat frequently does to me, and all they wind up doing is creating logjams that prevent my melee guys to get in on people.

Also I think I built my Octavia wrong because she just doesn't feel effective at all. I tried leaning into the rogue/wizard multiclass and went full bore into Arcane Trickster and it is kind of the worst of both worlds. She's a tier and a half behind in terms of spell development because of the rogue levels, it's a big pain in the rear end to set up her sneak attacks and either involves mobbing the guy or pre-loading on crowd control or using the extremely limited trickster class feature. Sneak attack specifically only works on touch attacks so a lot of the tentpole mid level wizard spells (like fireball/lightning bolt) don't work with it and I've gotta wait that much longer for her to get Disintegrate with the multiclass. Her BAB sucks so there is basically no point to giving her a crossbow - if she is using it because everything is out of range or she's out of touch attacks you're basically already hosed.

It's sad because I like both her and Regongar, but I barely use either (In Regongar's case it's less so anything with the class moreso than my MC is a Magus already, so they're filling a similar role with incredibly similar spell loadouts with the only real difference being my MC is a Finesse Estoc wielder and Regongar is built for strength)

Edit: My urge to play a shifter druid is increasing the more I think about it, but I think I'm going to save that for Baldur's Gate 3. 5e shifter druids are loving RAD and I want to see what they do with it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 16, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

deathbagel posted:

You can also do a nice Ranger doomstack. Pets are pretty broken in this game and can tank most enemies while your Rangers just rain down arrows on all of them.

Pretty sure once I get the funds back up for it my third merc is probably going to be a Orc Double Axe Dual Wielder, either Ranger or Slayer. Any build that people like for that?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

JamMasterJim posted:

Nah, unless you have invested in feats, your non-main combat style will be very underwhelming past the first chapter (unless you play below normal). You will end up feat starved soon. Heck, I would barely suggest any of the fighters be switch hitters and they get a feat every level.

Yeah, like, a strength dual wield ranger *could* in theory switch to dual throwing axes or something if he can't close in, but A) you're still missing point blank / precise shot at the bare minimum (and/or exotic proficiency for the sling staff). and B) Of what I've done so far in game, there ain't poo poo for thrown weapons to be had in general.

The weapon availability thing unmodded is kind of a problem because pathfinder just has so many loving weapon types and your party uses at most like a dozen of the types in a game that has what, like 40 different weapon types?

Edit: Also switch hitting works better in 5e where fighting styles and weapon types aren't nearly as tied to feats. It would also work in your friendly local game shop where you have a DM that knows what you're up to and adjusts the encounters around your capabilities, but PF:KM is a DM you cannot reason with who is super adversarial. Anything less than peak CHarop on normal or beyond is really going to be hamstringing yourself.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 17, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is the new Kickstarter another campaign from level 1 or is it going to be one that starts higher level?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kobal2 posted:

Counterpoint : Hospitaler loses group smite, and handing off smite to Ekundayo and/or Nok-nok results in very finely diced chunks.

Ekun and Nok Nok already do the finely diced chunks thing without much provoking.

I respecced Octavia and dropped rogue to 1 with the improved sneak attack feat and then dropped her straight into arcane trickster and she's a beast now. The moment I get two melee on anything she pitches empowered scorching rays or the force blasts and it falls over dead. She was a lifesaver against the greatsword cyclopses in the tomb.

I think I ran into another bug though. With Nok Nok, he's got like a +8 mod to dexterity, but when I throw my suit of +3 padded armor on him his AC goes down because for some strange reason padded armor on him caps his dex armor mod to +3. Unless there's something about it I'm missing. I just wound up giving him a set of +4 bracers of armor and his AC is 5 higher than with the Padded armor +3.

So without spoiling anything about the new campaign, what are all of the known companion classes thus far? I kind of want to play something separate from what is already available as a companion. I never take Regongar for anything because my MC is a Magus and they just step on each others toes in terms of capabilities.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

JamMasterJim posted:

Either some buffs/equipment give him a higher dex modifier than padded armor allows (IIRC, it's +8 max) or wearing the armor makes him encumbered and drops stats which affect AC too. He has minimal strength after all.
Reg could become a DPS by making him two-handed fighter or Slayer with 4 cragon disciple levels (or perhaps 10 levels of dragon disciple and carrying him around as a dragon). Or even barbarian. With 198 strength, from level 2, he can be any martial.

Anyway, assuming with new campaign you mean wrath of the righeous, so confirmed classes for companions as of now are:

Ranger (owlcat custom archetype, espionage expert)
Paladin
Armiger (hellknight focused archetype)
Witch (stigmatized witch, owlcat custom archetype )
Monk (zen archer)
Rogue (eldritch Scoundrel)
Fighter
Cleric
Shaman (owlcat custom archetype, Spirit hunter)
Oracle
Slayer
Wizard (Scroll master)

Huh, that's actually a pretty good spread. Seems like a good pickup for MC might be Alchemist or a shifter druid or another half caster like magus (which is my Kingmaker MC funny enough) or Inquisitor or Bard. Maybe run the Sacred Huntsman of Shelyn and run wild with cat and glaive.

I do hope WotR does introduce some sort of smithing or crafting that's not done through fiddly mods. So many of the martial archetypes are keyed to weapon specific feats and it sucks if the game just isn't itemized for one of the 40 weapon types you picked. It kind of feels bad to have to guess what sort of weapons you're going to get, guessing wrong and getting stuck with garbage. (Hi heavy crossbow and / or pretty princess throwing weapon builds of any flavor).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Ok, dick move game. I just got to the Primal Shambling mound in the Temple of the Elk. I didn't bring Jaethal and Harrim literally only had 3 negative energy spells prepped and all three of them failed because why not throw in 50% spell failure rate on top of it? Whoever thought of that is a shithead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nephthys posted:

IIRC I got stuck on a track that would have had the same thing happen so I just kicked Tristian out of the party/kingdom and I think that overwrites his good guest end.

He still showed up at the end for some reason but Jaethal murked him. Ironically between the two of them she'd been a great and loyal asset to my kingdom and he helped kill hundreds/thousands of my subjects so it was an easy choice between them for me. Also Harrim's a better Cleric anyway.

I mean, they really do different things. Tristan gets pretty early and quick access to the channel healing talents that you kind of have to go out of your way for with Harrim, but you really have to keep him in the back line and out of danger in a way that you don't with Harrim. I tend to build Tristan as a hard nuker and load him down with fireballs and the like and roll him as a wizard what can heal. Harrim gets a hard support buffer / debuffer kit, dropping fears and getting swole before he goes in swinging

WRT Jaethal, I had kind of a hard time finding a niche for her. She's super handy to have around because of her immunity to negative energy and draining, but she's also kind of a liability in several other ways (glass jaw, weapon itemization don't really support scythes, fits a similar niche as Regongar, hard to heal both in and outside of combat). I think her character is interesting and well written, and I'm not someone who normally goes for D&D evil character writing.

Yall are making me want to fire this up and give it another go. Been thinking about a druid chaotic neutral path and loading the party up with as many animal companions as I can fit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nephthys posted:

Tartuccio? It's not that big of a deal to fail the tracking at that point. You'll get another shot to find out where he is if you keep exploring places.

I really can't recommend this guide enough. If anyone ever needs a prompt when playing Kingmaker this is the best option to check on imo.

Dealing with that guy is one of the primary objectives of the Intro. I think even if you take out the bandit you still have to go run that little poo poo down. If you get to his initial stop early you can recruit one of the NPCs who left with him, and if you miss it you wont be able to recruit either of those companions until you've been baron-ed. On the flip side if you go the other direction fast enough you can run into some of the bandit flunkies that you can convince to turncoat and help you at the fort. I can't remember what all else you can do if you beeline for certain early objectives quickly, but there are a decent amount of differences in the starter areas depending on what order you do them in.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Possibly. Given that Wrath is basically just Kingmaker But More Stuff and a Different Campaign there’s a pretty good chance it’ll launch in an enormously better state.

Their game engine already had a lot of the kinks fixed thanks to Kingmaker’s shitshow of a launch :shepface:

Also players know how owlcat builds their encounters and will minmax appropriately or suffer.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How do I progress? I've conquered all the lands I can enter. The game won't let me cross the river to my west and the mountains to the East where Varnhold is. Do I just need to skip a bunch of days?

Yeah, typically the answer is "Wait a while" a lot of chapter progression stuff is time gated. If you're still in the prologue, there's a delay between you clearing the defiled temple and the fog clearing so you can get to the bandit fortress for example. Also if you're in the prologue and waiting for that event go back to the inn to talk to the mystery lady .

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It just means that everything on the kingdom map takes a day. There's no forced 14 day time skips when I level up a councillor etc.

Oh yeah, you're going to be super bored for a while then. The reason why things take so long is because the game is assuming you're loosing weeks leveling up advisors.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So how do people like building shifter druids? Shifting only applies stat modifiers and doesn't overwrite stats right, so you still need to be fairly swole? I assume you're pretty much mandated to use the Necklace that gives enhancement bonus to natural attacks?

My other thought for a new game is a Kinetic Knight keyed to Earth Element and Trip attacks. Just running around making people sit down.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 19, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Naramyth posted:

I’m messing with one in the endless dungeon. You do have to build like a melee character (I did human 16 14 14 10 16 10) but it’s pretty fun. Since you get bark skin you don’t need a natural armor neck and can just grab mighty fist instead. Your shield does help when you change so you can grab the best shield and just throw it on the Druid. The arcane protector daggers also still work when shifter so with that and a good shield you are probably in better shape than a full plate user. I didn’t do a monk dip but it’s probably worth it for wisdom and crane style.

Huh, does flurry of blows of work off natural attacks? Also do you count as unarmored when wild shaped for the wisdom bonus or do you have to specifically build around that?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Reading online I'm seeing a build for a shifter druid that takes 13 int for Combat Expertise, Trip, Pummel style and Pummeling bully and then improved trip and combat reflexes. Shift into Doggo and on a full attack you do double trip attempts with opportunity attacks when they sit down and when they stand up. Kind of the best of both worlds when I was comparing druid to an earth/trip kinetic knight. Should be fun :getin:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kobal2 posted:

Yup. Build like a Monk (in fact, you could do worse than dipping a couple Monk levels), STR then DEX then WIS/CON. ~14 WIS is enough to cast all your spells (factoring in a headband). Forget casting offensively from the get go : you're a sabertooth tiger, just focus on being the best tiger you can be.

Yeah, I pretty much figure on just using spells for healing and/or buffing with wild casting and spontaneous summoning and just bogging down the battlefield with targets.

Do you keep persistent effects from weapons and stuff too or do those fall off completely in animal form? If I get that Freedom of Movement mace from Troll Trouble can I just wear that for the effect and become the unstoppable hellbear?

Edit: Also - do Aasimar wings work in animal form?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 19, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stumiester posted:

Honestly, turn based in this doesn’t do a huge amount for me. I mean, its not bad, and makes you play in a very different way, but after playing DOS2 to death it seems somewhat underbaked.

Anyway, I respected to remove glitterdust, and all was well.

Now I have a treasurer problem! I went and cleared out the trolls and so lost Jubilost, when I went to the wizard with the basement trolls I found him dead . A mercenary at level 7 costs 25,000 gold. So, I am now in a situation where either I go without a treasurer indefinitely, or go back several hours. Would it have really been that difficult to make sure Jubilost spawns in the capital whatever happens?

You should be able to go back and rez him. Get a diamond and a resurrection scroll and just being Harrim with you

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I got through the Stag lord with my Druid/Monk combo, finally got to level 5 and took my first monk level (After I remembered that Pathfinder/3.5E restricts monk to lawful only and had to respec out of chaotic neutral *grumble grumble*) and I have to say, I didn't expect it to be so fiddly.

It looks like if I'm rolling in human mode my best bet is to shield and armor up but when it's go mode for doggo (and later the bigger nastier stuff) I need to take the armor off but not the shield and/or key up unarmored cloth robes for the passive bonuses.

Started with 16/14/14/13/16/10 for my statline as a Hungerseed Tiefling. Figured on 13 int for Expertise - now that most of my defense feats are set up all my feats going forward are going to be getting fightier. Thinking Trip / Pummeling Style / Pummeling bully / improved trip roughly in that order to be a tripmaster hellbear knocking dudes over for fun and profit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jarlywarly posted:

If they let you easily equipment swap for shared best items it wouldn't be too bad

Oh and it would be nice to able to have multiple shield/sword combos and reuse the same sword/shield in them on my sword and boarders.

Will Wrath have any of the Kingdom stuff in or a similar mechanic?

There's going to be a strategic element with a crusade commander mode that I'm guessing is going to do something similar to the Barony mode.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

At higher levels it's insanely powerful. Valerie can send endgame enemies fleeing for their lives.

Yeah, what I wind up doing with Valerie is ride her to shield fighter until like level 5ish and switch her over to slayer, pick up the intimidator style and start getting really fighty with her. She gets incredibly mean while still being one of the tankiest characters you can think of.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Oh jeez, I tried the Maegar Varn sidestory and made a new character to tool around with it. Figured it would be kind of a breezy thing.

First trap in the game in the first combat area. Maegar rolls a 1 and triggers it - permanent blindness. :catstare:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nephthys posted:

Valerie is the most underrated companion. As soon as you can improve her strength she's set up for some great builds, the 15 Cha makes her pretty versatile. Granted the endgame is basically designed to counter her default build but she's strong until that point. I feel like Camellia is going to get the same treatment in Wrath since she has a weird Dex tank build that you have to support with spells.

Speaking of, I saw a poll on discord that had Camellia as the 2nd most "planning to romance" which is a big LOL.

Bastard swords are pretty well itemized for too since you have basically guaranteed two characters who specialize in it from the word go. Since she uses heavy armor and tower shields and has mega constitution you can push her hard in the Strength direction. My prototypical build for Valerie is to get level 5 in GSF and then run hard down Slayer, picking up fighting style feats for intimidation

Edit: vvvv Errr, yeah, that, thought it was great shield fighter without being in the books or wiki.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 14, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm thinking about what I want to play for Wrath when it comes out proper. I think I might be settling into like a grenadier alchemist on the legend path and basically be the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight. My other thought was to do the kineticist, but I like my MC to be a more skilled and Kineticist has kind of poo poo skill growth. Wildcard option might be a Sacred Huntsman inquisitor with bear and a halberd.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Speaking of Alchemist - How does Vivisectionist stack up vs just a plain old rogue? I know it's a popular one point dip for Sneak attack and access to level 1 spells. I'm guessing your goal in mid/late game is to use your shapeshifting powers to turn into something gnarly and sneak attack like crazy? I always have problems statting them out. I'm guessing since they aren't really bombing at all just keep int at 16 and stack melee stats? Can you still do crazy sneak attacks if you lean into the shapeshifting side of their infusions?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

I was 100% ready for Lich supremacy, then they revealed some party members would leave if you did.

It's really going to depend who leaves & their role. If I ended up with a decision that caused Valerie or Jubilost to leave my party in KM I would quit and reload because those are not even remotely acceptable options.

I really liked the idea of a heavy armor Lich Overlord but the Signifier prestige class doesn't mesh at all with the idea of becoming your own god of death, plus its pretty focused towards divine casters. I'm guessing a Magus and taking extra armor feats would work, would probably need to be human for that extra feat then.

It's always been kind of a problem with 3.5 and I believe Pathfinder is that honestly the Divine casters made better undead minion masters than the Arcane Casters did.

The more I think about what I want to do for WotR, the more I'm leaning toward probably one of the 2/3rd caster variants, probably either Grenadier or Eldritch Archer as a Trickster. My current Kingmaker run is a Vivisectionist and I've been having a laugh being an impossibly tanky beclawed/fanged sneak attack monster. Pathfinder Alchemist is like the one thing I really wish would of made the move back to D&D 5th edition because it's basically "Mad Scientist: The Class" in so many wonderful ways. 5e's Artificer alchemist just isn't near as interesting.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding the lady NPC inquisitor, do you all normally keep her with great weapons as she starts, or switch to a shield, or even ranged? I'm planning on finally digging into this once I finish baldur's gate and, in my previous level ~3 playthroughs she seemed a little fragile.

Jaethal works best with her default kit. Stick with the Scythe. If you want to get into multiclass fuckery give her a level of Alchemist - Vivisectionist and it'll give her access to the shield/enlarge spells and a sneak attack dice that you can then spike with the Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat and the teamwork feat to hit +4d6 when another ally is nearby. Just keep in mind you need to account for the fact that healing potions don't work on her for big dungeon-crawly sections, but she'll never capital D die and she's immune to a lot of the really gnarly poo poo the game throws at you later on in the game like ability score / level drain. Both of which show up in spades in the Third and Fourth major Kingdom chapters.

Edit: Inquisitors are really fun as a class because they really do have just an absurd amount of ways they can roll. A personal favorite is to take Sacred Huntsman with a polearm and a multi-attacking pet like the Bear or the Leopard since they can take advantage of the teamwork feats to sneak attack with you and you have enough range on the polearm to be able to function when poo poo turns into a clusterfuck.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 13, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zurai posted:

If you want to maximize Bane as an Inquisitor, be an archer. Bane works with both Rapid Shot and Manyshot. Jaethal isn't an amazing archer because her Dex is lower than her Strength, but it can be made to work for her if you really want it to. Bane + the to-hit bonus Judgement makes up for a lot of inefficiency.

Comedy option - Throwing Weapons.

Edit: Are there even any unique throwing axes / Javelins in the base game?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

JamMasterJim posted:

Jaethal can function well with the majority of builds you could make.
You could make her a Herald caller, since evil summons are the best and her Wis will be good enough to get all the spells for support. She also has pretty good base statline for a druid.
And if you want to make her a curator and hate Linzi, you could gear her into a Bard.
Melee wise, you could maker her Ranger/Slayer easily too.

Only full arcane caster builds and alchemists are kinda out of reach.

A 1 level dip in vivi is fine because she has the Int for 1st level spells and shield is a super legit pickup for her, not to mention the sneak attack.

Edit : but also a 1 level dip in vivi is legit for most melee classes

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I know it's not really supported well in Kingmaker, but is there a dual throwing weapon build anyone has loaded up on a merc and liked? I know it's feat taxed to hell (since you need all the ranged weapon feats AND the dual wielding feats, and you still need decent DEX for both) but I just like the thought of a more non-traditional ranged build than just being the bowguy. My other thought being like a slingstaff slayer, which to be fair does get a fair spot better support in the grand scheme of things and a bit easier to set up feats for.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zurai posted:

The problem with throwing builds is less feat taxing and more itemization. Pathfinder just isn't set up to support a throwing character. Consider: A high-level ranger or fighter with the full TWF chain gets 7 attacks per round. By default, you need a throwing weapon for each of those attacks, and it has to be enchanted at full price which gets hideously expensive. And that's just for a single round of attacks. It also weighs like 30 pounds.

The Returning weapon enchantment exists, but there's two problems with that. First, it takes up a +1 bonus, meaning you're just flat weaker than any other ranged character. Second, Returning weapons only return at the start of your next turn, and if you don't have a hand free for them, they drop to the ground at your feet. That means that, to be blunt, they just don't work as part of a full attack.

Pretty sure Kingmaker throwing weapons are treated like a brace that have infinite ammo, but yeah, the itemization is still bad. Still I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The alignment wheel is weird and outdated for a lot of reasons, moral absolutism is kind of awful in a lot of ways. Kingmaker tends to write their Lawful Good as "In opposition to evil" but leaves the definition of evil vague to where LG winds up being just as much a genocidal shithead as the evil options. It basically flows into the "Lawful Stupid" trope you see in certain D&D games / groups where you get that one obstinate shithead who starts a fight when another player does something not 100% above the board because 'it's what my player would do'.

Lawful / Chaotic works a bit better for me, since I look at it from the scope of Societal unity vs Individual liberties but even then it's not as clear cut.

IMO one of the best things the newer version of D&D did was decouple alignment from the classes so you could be a Chaotic Good Paladin (or an evil one) and the major differentiators being the oaths of duty playing into your dieity / alignment choices, including Oaths for things like Literal Tyrants. I feel like the more recent books in 5E are tending to get a bit better with regards to their handling of Race and alignment too vis-a-vis certain races not having "Captain Planet Villain" written into their souls anymore.

Anyways, to get back on topic with the game - So I'm getting ready to start the Varnholdt chapter on my Vivisectionist here and I've noticed the farther on I've gotten that the vivi isn't really scaling up. Been using the Claws/teeth on Mutagen use and I'm wondering if it's probably getting time to start breaking out proper dual wield weapons and getting a bit more gas out of having proper equipment again. Anyone have any suggestions on how to properly transition to midgame for the class?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 17, 2021