Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is it worth having Split Vendetta from the start from a gameplay perspective? Interested in buying in during the sale but the expansion isn't on sale and I usually burn out on X before any stories or anything start rolling. But if it adds important/worthwhile sectors and ships and modules and such I might miss access to I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I got my HOTAS out of storage to find half the axises jittering and am going to have to warranty replace it (thread PSA the correct price for a Thrustmaster T Flight One is free, there is nobody around who hasn't had this jitter). But was reminded the X series is predominately management. A HOTAS makes dog fighting better obviously, but you can make money clear past needing to personally dog fight and get into a gun boat of sorts instead and feel no grief using the simplified steering.

One thing I'm missing using a 360 controller compared to Elite Dangerous is using the bumpers as shift. Maybe it's there and I missed it or there might be a mod and there's always auto hotkey but I just keep my keyboard and mouse nearby and lean heavily on them for everything that isn't flight input.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is the personal inventory and crafting system meant to be the most frustrating thing in the world? Don't even understand what would possess the makers of X to add something you can't supply chain your way into/through.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can get on the highway and ride it in circles looking for easy repair and ferry missions until you can afford a miner. At least that's what I did.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What does shuffle do for existing stations by the way? It shows the existing modules shuffled around.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Financially it seems like an odd proposition. You get trade prices for the cost of 100k satellites (or 100 advanced satellites) but no traffic. Satellites can end up destroyed but otherwise seem absolutely better. After your AI scouts have scouted the safe universe they have nothing better to do than drop satellites next to stations so its not like it saves you manually dropping them, just queuing an AI to do so on the map.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's a really pretty snappy to get your own base set up compared to autotraders because of the weird skill requirement.

My suggestion from the other page stands after you do the tutorials. Fly around the highways and look at your mission offers and do the easy looking ones. You'll be able to afford a miner pretty soon. It pays itself off ridiculously quickly and then you but more miners etc. And you suddenly have 15 million burning a whole in your pocket.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It doesn't have the decade and a half of expansions, patches, and mod refinements X3 has so if you are well entrenched in a custom X3 and still having fun you might not be swayed.

I also don't want to say it needs another decade and a half to rival it. The economy, ally automation and control, and combat generally work as is which I would never say about any instance of X3. The long distance travel pulled in from Rebirth mixed with the X economy descended from X3 feels really good and the semi-a-la-carte campaigns are kind of exactly what I want out of a story mission line in a sandbox space game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You obviously get rid of the electricity in Xenon systems by running a really large monitor degauss.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Scan leaky station signals to get the Boron quest line started.

At a whole X4 has mini campaigns instead of a monolithic story. Beside the Boron, the different starting settings should leave 1 campaign in a state that is ready to start. If you took the generic start it's Hatikvah, otherwise the faction you started with will be ready to start it's campaign. These all tend to start at capital stations IIRC and flow into or prevent the start of certain other campaigns.

These also tend to open or close war fronts, usually in an obvious way. So if you want to fight a sandbox paranid forever war, don't do the campaigns starting with either paranid polity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

chaosapiant posted:

How does this game run on medium hardware? I have an I7 3770 and GTX 1080. Would I get decent frames?
The game is more economy sim than graphics so with an 8 year old processor you're probably going to chug at any speed greater than 1x and will need to probably look up some of the tricks and idiosyncrasies with the sim to avoid it chugging at 1x cause you did something weird that triggered detailed sim over generic sim.

Meanwhile a 1080 is definitely enough to build and gaze upon a mega factory.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ship designs need to come from your technobabble, specifically micrometeorites and combat doctrine. If your setting doesn't have good shield tech or radical combat doctrines you're stuck with spheres and dongs, or wedges which are dongs with edges. Radical combat doctrine is really hard to do with player pilots too since we're all expecting either plane or boat battles and it's wedges and tubes all the way down, or else your ship gets maligned for being unbalanced because it's a big target.

I haven't had the heart to try Avorion for that reason (encouraged to do spheres and dongs when you get to build your own ships)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rhjamiz posted:

Avorion is fun. I dunno what you mean about encouraged tho. You can build in whatever way you want and it’s not really a problem so long as you’ve got enough shields and hull for your progression
I didn't mean it was Avorions problem, it's definitely my problem. But the maximized design of a space ship is whatever can present the least profile while bring fire on target, because avoidance is the most damage reducing out of shield or armor or just avoiding shots coming your way. Spheres are the least profile for anything that can't track toward threats, otherwise a dong that can point itself in the safest direction is best.

You can get into radical combat doctrine here if you get creative in your setting. Ex. Your weapons have not been able to keep up with your armor material science and you can't physically put enough weapons in the head of your dong to make a scratch. Solution? Rapidly spinning dong with weapons pointing outward on the shaft. It is phased so as to probably be presenting your least profile as much as possible while your shaft weapons fire phased in a way to bring extra power on target. Your rotation phasing or axis of rotation let's you control your net weapon output with your net profile.

I don't especially want to fly that in a space game but it sounds cool.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

I do like the X3 teladi designs of the flying brick variety but I also like the flying mushrooms.

E: also rounded shapes may be more material efficient but there is a reason we don't build round buildings, cos it's easier to stack things in squares, and also fabricating square parts is easier than having to make whole new arc panels for every possible size of round thing.

I like to imagine there is a gigantic teladi space lathe spinning the front parts of their ships.
We build round buildings when the alternatives are worse. Pressure vessels, of which space ships are an example, can be built round for material science reasons of flush joints withstanding pressure gradients better than angled joints.

Sphere is an extreme example here. Boxy is worst. Cylindrical with elliptic heads are better (most pressure vessels from your water heater to an ISS module land here). Spherical only if you absolutely gotta guarantee no weak points.

By the way if it isn't clear all my posts today aren't really bad talking the new designs one way or another, just chewing the fat about sci fi (although I'm ruining myself for Shipbreaker because it's making me think about why are all the internal pressure hulls boxes?! Space capitalism I guess)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The inevitable future of space war is the Death Star, but with goatse around the aperture.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*dissertation on terrorism, genocide, and AI morality*
Anyway in preparation for the Argon/Terran war you should assign a manager to your station and they will manage material purchases to build it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
X back drops have always been just fine but if they can improve the hit rate on back drops that feel like places it's be a lot easier to come back to bonsai my stations. I imagine that's one of their goals for terraforming.

I don't even want to suggest making it feel more space like because I'm not sure they'd have a chance to manage anything close to even faked orbits.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are terraforming material requirements public? Why do I get the feeling finishing terraforming giving you 4 and 5 star training is going to be the equivalent of being able to fight the normal boss after beating the extra boss in an RPG.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The best way to play X is to fly fighters and gun boats with HOTAS, anything bigger with a controller with autoturn, and do all management by mouse and keyboard.

The best of all worlds is definitely controller, kbm. The fighters and gun boats fly fine with a controller, you just can't hot dog with autoturn or whatever mutant control set up you use for controller without autoturn.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are there any good effort posts or videos on boarding. I understand the theory of find juicy SCA ships, board with marines. But I've never really put together what that looks like for a ship outfit, effective ways to target subsystems or juke/blindspot turrets and have just been kind of overall paralyzed by choice in approaching it. Seems like a more important skill to have now with the current mining rates.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pioneers start is pretty hilarious if you've done vanilla PHQ but without spoiling too much beside that it's very important you have pretty vanilla faction relations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Adding expansions later isn't a huge technical deal. Weird faction things aren't entirely out of the possibilities since any new economies or ships can influence the forever wars in a different way then if they're in at the start but that's probably a small detail.

As mentioned Split has a bunch of thread favorite ships. Terran is probably more exciting coming from X3 storylines or having X4 economy fatigue since they get a whole separate supply chain.

General starting tips: the standalone tutorials are fine. The online tutorials are awesome and awful at the same time and get stuck or ask to launch at weird times. But really useful when working right.

Your first order of business is to cruise around the main highway looking for simple things to do. Just generally space game it up and either find easy missions, or salvage junk from other fights and just be a general parasite with lock boxes and poo poo lying around.

Most starts don't get you the PHQ quest without some rub around. Learn how to scan data leaks at stations and do so until you find a quest to help our fish friend Boso Ta.

There's static abandoned ships you can google if the early grind is too much but the early slow pace is probably fine for getting your feet wet so don't sweat a meteoric rise too much.

Hatikvah quest line is another that is fairly tutorialized if you feel out of your depth in your scenario starter quests.

You know you're out of early goings when you can afford some miners for passive income or have figured out how to really maximize your parasiting for picking up oddly valuable xenon things. Here you can start thinking about getting a corvette to go big game hunting or expanding out your personal head quarters or making whole new stations.

Around here you realize how bullshit vanilla training can be so you should get a training mod that sounds useful. There's a few different flavors but the most popular and simple in the steam workshop just boosts skill up chances and is good enough for most people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there any way at all to get my unskilled Callisto captain to do repeated trading of any sort on his own at all or am I out of luck without mods?
There's a repeat idle order tht people were wondering if it's repeat entire list or repeat final order. I haven't tried it myself either. But that's an idea.

Otherwise you can program in as many buy and sells as the market orders sustain at that moment. You reserve against the order when the action is added to the queue so you can program a dozen trades of a milk run and get them going for hour blocks of time at least.

Besides that you really want your own stations in vanilla. Plenty of training available running autotrades for a station manager. Non station autotrader is really just gravy to boost your friends logistic throughput.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Thom12255 posted:

I deactivated all my resource probes and my miners are doing a lot better now lol.
Could have figured there was something going on when their beta response to people doing this and getting better results was to say "you just don't understand the algorithm. That just means you placed your probes bad."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The least amount of thinking to this nothing question is: just buy a min spec scout and wave goodbye

You will soon be wasting even more significant pieces of stuff in the name of Economic Growth so don't dwell on it too much.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DJ Dizzy posted:

Any way to tell miners attached to a station to mine only specific ores? All my dudes have a hardon for ice.
I was reading somewhere station managers never reassign asteroid type even as your requirements change due to new modules. In which case you can try unassigning and reassigning all miners to see if you get a better split.

Otherwise you're left with micromanaging orders or monotyping your raw material input stations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The SCA really need to think harder about how they register their ship names.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zereth posted:

Seriously exactly how important is using resource probes, and if it is important, how can I tell somebody else to do it for me?

EDIT: is there some way I can be the guy offering like 60k to go find a specified density of resource? :thunk:
According to the developers a miner/manager will evaluate the concentration where they are, where they've been, and compare to the concentration of resource probes in range and pick the best option.

In effect they seem to lose their minds and a lot of people say just don't place them and/or use sector blacklists.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Worst case you are now partially integrated to create another hull parts factory with your own hull parts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If I sold the main battery on a Rattlesnake by reflex setting it to min spec at the shipyard, is it worth hanging on to if I ever want to use it? I figure I'm going to need 20 rep with one of the Split which I can probably find another Rattlesnake by then. But haven't actually uncovered a Split wharf to see what it'd take to rearm the main battery.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
X3 SETA was fundamentally different since it was your travel drive equivalent and yeah travel drive is superior in every way to SETA or jump drives since you don't need to hit fast forward on the economy to get somewhere in less time than a geologic period or carry space pennies.

Still surprised they didn't put it at the end of HAT cross HQ plots or something.

Maybe not surprised, it's very on brand Egosoft to make it rare random drop. Still chasing down a singularity what's it :argh:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, jump drives are infinitely powerful with finitely cheap fuel. Also infinitely frustrating setting up space penny infrastructure. Feels bad man.

Travel drives and the highway ring, combined with teleporting have their own downsides and quirks but feels like a really good compromise to feeling like you're in a big space while still being able to react to things at complete opposite ends of where you are this instant.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Not to excuse it, more of a public service announcement. X4 is still a game you ought to treat like it's 2003 which means use every save slot you have so if something bad happens technically you lose 5 hours instead of 500.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RBA Starblade posted:

What weapons would you suggest on the Katana for boarding work? I've got a couple frigates and enough marines whose lives I don't care about lol
For any corvette taking on pirate destroyers, Ooops! All plasma! On your forward mounts to burst down turrets or shields. It's tempting to go all plasma on turrets too since everything happens at 0 m/s relative speed but I like flak or repeaters to try and trigger abandon ship.

Mk1 is good enough to destroy turrets but you might run into main shields you can't budge. If you can't afford mk2 plasma I'd recommend bringing a torpedo mount to make sure you can bring the shield down.

I'll destroy any turrets facing the ship butt, then pin it by destroying engines, and destroying any other turrets. Then bring in the cavalry while you work down hull, preferably with something with a lot of hits because they individually trigger abandonment hence using repeaters and flak. If they have a good support crew you could potentially cap it without a pitched marine fight as they repair hull damage then bail anyway because you keep plink plinking

E. 3 different replies 3 different load outs :blastu:

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 31, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zereth posted:

How do you transport the 30 monkeys with guns, though?
A couple medium trade ships with guns taken off should do the trick for SCA destroyers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think AI pilots and managers have the same limitations on jump count as players so they'll generally be looking at price within that range and doing their thing.

I doubt they'd do a lot with sector distance, thats computationally expensive. You're generally not going to have wares sold at the exact same price unless you have manual prices set at a lot of player stations, just the manager price setting should let them just pick cheapest in their jump range and thats a single station for the ware they want.

And yeah manager set prices kind of fundamentally reach the ideal point on the supply/demand curve. If you overbuild storage like I do you probably want to set storage volumes but otherwise its hard to really beat the market in a way thats better than manager set pricing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The roving traders are freelance, I think they use autotrade AI or a hobbled sort of autotrade if they are <3 star.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like the training manuals system on paper but in execution combing station traders and grinding missions for the privilege to dig through the staff UI and individually hand over manuals is too much bad menus and walking.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

In case you aren't aware the player tab on the menu lets you sort everyone you employ by skill level, if that makes staff management any easier.
My dream vanilla training situation is that table in the player tab allows one click application of a manual and the manuals are given to you by normal playing and not chasing down leg only station traders or crap shoot guild mission chains where any procedural generated leg might be impossible negating anything you did up to that point.

Hiding application behind dialog comm menus and collection behind some of the worst parts of the game means mod time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Capturing ships is absolutely faster the janky way miners are working right now. I have rudimentary ship parts and claytronics factories running 30 hours in and capturing SCA destroyers is still my main way of infusing money into my economy.