Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/1053124777785753601

what game?

aperion posted:

Real talk, I'm gonna try to lay out why Mike McCoy (Cardinals OC) is utter poo poo. Because this game is everything I saw when he was the head coach for the Chargers (San Diego variety).

1. Runs up the gut all day every day. In San Diego, Rivers would line up in shotgun for most all run games, and it was obvious. Defenses could stack the box because they didn't fear Melvin Gordon going anywhere except up the center's rear end. David Johnson does not have the offensive line or the skills to power run like that. He's loving fast, he needs to bounce to the outside. He kicks the poo poo out of defensive secondary players in open space.
2. Run > Run > Pass > Punt. Also known as 'trying to establish the run'. McCoy is obsessed with establishing the run, even when he's got one of the best QBs available.
3. McCoy doesn't actually have an offensive identity in mind. I said it sarcastically earlier, but he really would say he runs the Erhardt-Perkins system in response to the question of "What do we do?"
4. He doesn't communicate worth a poo poo. Three times tonight, the play was either confused or too late. Blowing timeouts in that fashion is entirely too familiar to me. Now the Cardinals have it. To expand on this point, McCoy had this problem with Ken Whisenhunt as his OC, then Frank Reich, then Whisenhunt again, now he's OC and it's happening again.
5. Another problem with McCoy not communicating -- he can't tell you what sort of players he needs because he doesn't have any talent in player evaluations at all. He plugs them into HIS system. He doesn't change his system for the personnel available. Ever. The only times he's been successful, he blindsided other teams with an unpredictable Tim Teebow, then Peyton Manning who could overcome his lovely playcalling, then a season with Rivers who could overcome his lovely playcalling, but even that wore off after long enough.
6. When he became HC for the Chargers in 2013, he had a good playbook, which I assume he built that offseason because it was his job. But he has not updated his playbook since. Seeing the Cards play tonight, it's loving predictable as ever. He made the playoffs that year despite all odds as a rookie head coach. But the year after, nothing changed. And the year after that, and after that. And lo and loving behold, the Chargers got worse with every year offensively.

Yeah, that's a lot of words to say Mike McCoy shouldn't be employed in football for any reason ever. But I don't feel like I've missed any of this game typing this poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The NFL is lucky this game went against the ALCS and LeBron's Lakers debut, because I can't imagine the ratings will be pretty

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

From what I understand, Mike McCoy made Vance Joseph look like a competent coach. The most damning of accomplishments.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Courtland Sutton looks like one of the better WR picks so far from this draft

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
but really, who listens to podcasts?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

over 200 people listen to podcasts every day

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I watched that Rosen snuff film right until the 2 minute warning when I fell asleep. Why. Why did I do that. I'm tired.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Case Keenum and the Broncos are a stinky gorilla butt

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Byron leftwich is the cardinals qb coach and would take over play calling duties.

Huh

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Byron leftwich is the cardinals qb coach and would take over play calling duties.

Huh

I'm going off of one anonymously sourced Schefter quote but apparently he's relatively well thought of as a coach? I wish him luck, he was always likeable except when he had to actually move.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I'm going off of one anonymously sourced Schefter quote but apparently he's relatively well thought of as a coach? I wish him luck, he was always likeable except when he had to actually move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Broncos won 45-7 and Case Keenum's statline was only 14/21 for 161 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT lol

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Looking at that post, I feel like I'm the Kawalimus of the Cardinals, and they're not even my team.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

The Broncos won 45-7 and Case Keenum's statline was only 14/21 for 161 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT lol

#StartEmmanuelSanders. Perfect passer rating :smuggo:

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Steve Wilks' seat just got warm. They fired Mike McCoy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

aperion posted:

Looking at that post, I feel like I'm the Kawalimus of the Cardinals, and they're not even my team.

To be fair, it comes across more like the Kawalimus of the Chargers, like if Harbaugh got fired from the Ravens and got hired by the Cardinals.
With the caveat that Harbaugh going to the Cardinals would be a marked improvement.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Huh

yeah arians loved him

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
My...God

The Peterman virus has broken containment!
We need agents to Glendale, Arizona now!!!

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Finger Prince posted:

To be fair, it comes across more like the Kawalimus of the Chargers, like if Harbaugh got fired from the Ravens and got hired by the Cardinals.
With the caveat that Harbaugh going to the Cardinals would be a marked improvement.

To not be fair, I actually like the coaches the Chargers have now. Overall, I don't have too much to complain about. Except kicking. :smithicide:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Lynn is definitely not a perfect coach by any means (he made some really head scratching decisions against the Niners, for instance), but he's definitely a lot better than McCoy was and probably Norv as well. Those aren't exactly high bars to clear, but the team generally plays hard for him even when they're down, he holds players accountable when they gently caress up.. there's just a level of consistency with the team they haven't had since arguably Marty left. Over the last year + they generally do beat the teams they're supposed to win against, and while they've struggled against winning teams, there's at least some hope that they'll build on it and compete against those teams in the future. Norv and McCoy's teams were so up and down by comparison - especially after the talent started bottoming out on the former's teams - that you never really knew what they were.

He's probably not top tier but generally I feel pretty decent about the direction the team's going on the field, which I couldn't really say about McCoy after 2014.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Homestar Runner posted:

Courtland Sutton looks like one of the better WR picks so far from this draft

Oh totally. He's got an obscenely Julio look and feel to him. I'm not saying he is or will be even close to that skill level but the size and speed is excellent and the way he runs low reminds me a bit of Julio. We haven't gotten that many big-bodied guys who can get separation in the league recently. In my opinion he'd be an OROTY candidate if he had something better than Case Keenum to work with.

Broncos in general hit pretty well on offensive skill positions. Sutton, Freeman and Lindsay were all nice choices, it's a shame they can't seem to get quarterback right to save their lives (jobs)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

gently caress Byron Leftwich.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

gently caress Byron Leftwich.

Is there a reason for this I missed other than him not being very good?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
a neat cape,

No I'm not saying that non call was why we lost, we lost because the chargers flat out beat us in all 3 phases of the game. Refs have had some super lovely calls against us.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

Is there a reason for this I missed other than him not being very good?
He was a terrible QB on my favorite team for several years when the team had David Garrard riding the bench. I think I am more mad that the team drafted him and immediately handed him the reins when David Garrard was already on the roster than I am at him, but eh, I've been nurturing this hate since my late teens so fuckit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

a neat cape,

No I'm not saying that non call was why we lost, we lost because the chargers flat out beat us in all 3 phases of the game. Refs have had some super lovely calls against us.

Yeah, what you can say about the browns is they played well enough to win the other 5 games, and threw bad luck / bad coaching / kicker play, ended up going 2-2-1 in them before being outplayed by the Chargers.

Looking at their schedule, they should probably get up to like 5-6 wins, which should hopefully be that sweet spot where they fire Hue, but progress enough that someone serious wants to coach them next year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

He was a terrible QB on my favorite team for several years when the team had David Garrard riding the bench.

This is a perfectly acceptable reason to hate a player and I don't blame you. It's also entirely possible I only like Byron because of that video Fiz posted + that you could always tell if someone actually watched him play or was just an idiot by whether they thought Leftwich was fast.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Grittybeard posted:

This is a perfectly acceptable reason to hate a player and I don't blame you. It's also entirely possible I only like Byron because of that video Fiz posted + that you could always tell if someone actually watched him play or was just an RACIST by whether they thought Leftwich was fast.

Pretty sure you meant Racist.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Byron Leftwich is very well-spoken

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hizawk posted:

Pretty sure you meant Racist.

I mean...yeah.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Grittybeard posted:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000097091/WK-11-Can-t-Miss-Play-Leftwich-flies-past-Ravens

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Ratings:

Broncos-Cardinals (Fox/NFLN): 9.1 million viewers
Red Sox-Astros (TBS): 6.5M
Lakers-Trail Blazers (TNT): 3.3M

NFL still unbeatable even with trash on the field.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Byron Leftwich is very well-spoken

Definitely a humble guy.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

Ratings:

Broncos-Cardinals (Fox/NFLN): 9.1 million viewers
Red Sox-Astros (TBS): 6.5M
Lakers-Trail Blazers (TNT): 3.3M

NFL still unbeatable even with trash on the field.

NFL was on network tv.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sharknado slashfic posted:

Definitely a humble guy.

:gritty:

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME
The chargers, if they had a good owner, would abandon LA and just sell out venues across the country as the US Chargers. And dedicate 2/3rds of the ticket sales plus 2/3rds of the owner’s salary toward public works in that week’s metro area. If they came to Milwaukee I’d root for them even if it was against the packers

Or they could go back to San Diego or literally anything they’re precluded from doing because their ownership is the most heinously bad ownership I’ve ever seen barring outright Snyder racism... but there’s potential for this beyond the normal ownership model tied to a browbeaten city/metro that would probably bring in more money than whatever the hell Spanos is doing. They could even become a true villain team like the raiders shot for, but in the course of doing that pick up a lot of geographic areas that the NFL has forsaken

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

didn't Byron Leftwich have an entirely inexplicable long touchdown run when he was a backup on the Steelers or something

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Oh my god. Is there an archived GDT with a Kawalimus real-time reaction to this?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Jivesauce posted:

Oh my god. Is there an archived GDT with a Kawalimus real-time reaction to this?

leftwich broke his own ribs diving into the endzone and couldn't finish the game. For me, it's up there with buttfumble level of self-own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ketchup vs catsup posted:

NFL was on network tv.

And congrats, you found the secret! Until the NFL can't get a deal not on network TV, the sky isn't falling as fast as the CHUDs would like you to believe (also the fact that the Onion put it right: "Fan waits till week 5 before declaring opposition to football on moral grounds"). But yes, the NFL is on network TV, and the only one of the major sports in the US (I'm counting soccer and racing here) to have a vast majority of its games on network TV. 17 games a year are on ESPN, and 3 are on NFL Network, that's it. It's also why there's not a good streaming package either, and why DirectTV is allowed to do local blackouts because you can effectively get the local game for free.

• Locked thread