Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I've got a soft spot for East German strichtarn, which is :effort: camo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I've got one of their funny helmets, it looks very good and modern with the camo cover. Less like a glans than the Naughty German helmets

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Objectively correct opinion.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It's intimidating and doesn't look at all silly.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The liner in my m56/76 is very similar but with plastic as well as leather and the strap is way more complicated

E: iirc they also have special snowflake sizes and liners and you can still get them in their original brown paper storage wrappings

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 30, 2018

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'd there's any guy who doesn't have to feel too bad about his contribution to the nazi war effort, it's the helmet wrapper.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Any lady, then

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nenonen posted:

So that answers the question of what that part of this meme is about, and at the same time it doesn't.

(I'm 2)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

CommunityEdition posted:

On the subject, how on the ball was Zack Twamley’s July Crisis podcast special?

I don't know how good that was but he can be a bit :jerkbag: like when he played a 1994 recording of the Alexandrov ensemble singing the Soviet national anthem and said you could hear the fear of Stalin in their voices

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

they investigate mishaps. MISHAPS. i've never investigated any mishaps!

I thought that was basically all you do

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

look what i found on reddit

Christ how awful

E: lmbo the second hand is a little sword

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 28, 2018

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Fangz posted:

Sorry, I kinda automatically empathized with poor schmucks that have to do some dumb public facing thing that was never what they signed on to do, reading from a script that these kids don't give a poo poo about anyway, and there's one smartarse kid that just wants to waste everyone's time by making them explain the dubious rationale behind the war on drugs to fifty kids that want to go home

If it's any consolation the met are a pack of shits so wasting their time is good.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

which is why clement atlee admired him.

Clem was our best and most overrated prime minister all at once

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

SeanBeansShako posted:

And yet, still one of our better PM's compared to the chodes that followed. The best thing about him was he personally saw the poo poo show that is war from the ground up and knew the consequences.

It's a shame his vision of a better world didn't extend to not sending national service men to kill civilians in Malaya

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

feedmegin posted:

Not wanting your Republic to become a dictatorship is 'irrational'? :shobon:

It was a lovely republic.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cyrano4747 posted:

Didn’t lowtax fight Uwe Boll at one point?

I’d pay st least a few hundred to watch you gear up in a kinda-fitting breastplate and bitchslap little lord Fauntleroy with a pike.

Uwe Boll beat the poo poo out of Lowtax

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Getting mad over plugs and roads. Welcome to milhist

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I hate our too-safe plugs

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s funny to imagine Thatcher saying this

Forlornly jamming a fork in a socket.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cessna posted:

Same.

That's the USMC mantra.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/239290/budget-of-the-us-navy-and-the-us-marine-corps/

Marines make do with more moneys than all but 12 countries entire armed forces

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 7, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
My number was way off by like 10+ billion lol sorry that was the budget ten years ago.
You caught me wrangling that post into something less terrible

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 7, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

EvilMerlin posted:

We are not talking about other countries.

We are talking the other armed services of the US. From 2017's budget.

US Army: 148,033,950,000
US Air Force: 166,879,239,000
US Navy: 164,861,078,000

From the US Navy number, 23 billion is for the USMC.

My only point is that your frame of reference is insane. The marines got more money than the entire bundeswehr in 2010. I'm not saying they're wasteful, just that they're "making do" with a global top-15 budget.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m assuming the USMC isn’t actually strapped for boots like it’s 1942 Red Army.

He sold that plane so they're good now

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nenonen posted:

Khyber Pass copy MARPAT

Random British gun proof marks hidden in the pattern

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
What? Nonsense. Anyway, time get the men shaved and oiled up for hand to hand combat drills

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

FrangibleCover posted:

Consider the following: If a full power select fire rifle is a "Battle Rifle" then you get to call the intermediate one a "Combat Carbine".

https://www.gao.gov/assets/210/207034.pdf

What virtues?

The mark vii is the finest space superiority fighter of all time

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

sullat posted:

Very helpful.

The us got all the results from the tube alloys project in return for the Quebec agreement. The US promised to share atomic technology as part of that agreement. The UK could probably be forgiven for being a bit annoyed that the Americans swallowed the program and broke their agreement.

What I'm saying is you deserved to get spied on

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Gustav Noske's grave should be permanently swamped with piss

E: Ebert too

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 10, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Epicurius posted:

Noske was in an impossible situation, and the Ebert government was on the verge of being overthrown. It was a deal with the devil, but it was probably the only way to stop a Communist takeover.

They were only in that impossible position because they coopted the fledgling Berlin Soviet in the first place. They seized power and used death squads to shore it up.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If only Stalin had tried an alliance with the West instead

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cythereal posted:

And hey, the Soviet Union did have a hugely profitable alliance with the West. Lend-Lease alone probably saved the Union's bacon by supplying the Soviet logistics with all the transport capability they needed.

I'm talking about the offer of an anti-nazi alliance in 1939. This was not treated seriously by the Western powers.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Equalising of Soviet and Nazi crimes is an important part of the modern far-right's attempts to minimise the importance of the Holocaust and to lay the blame for Soviet crimes on the Jews http://defendinghistory.com/red-brown-commissions

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 11, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

It's not the same thing and you know it."What about a time when someone died in the US" does not excuse Stalinism.

edit: Something happening by accident because of a concatenation of circumstances is also different from things like the Soviet famines in the 30s, which were the result of deliberate acts. At no point did "almost every modern state" decide to force everyone onto collective farms for ideological reasons/requisition all their food/kill all the farmers that met certain arbitrary criteria, and then get shocked, SHOCKED that this led to a lack of loving food.

Like the accident of America's entire history of dealings with the natives. Oopsy

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

If your ideology can only come out ahead by being compared to your enemies' dealings in the 19th and 18th centuries, maybe it's not the wave of the future that you think it is.

Hello there monarchist

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

You're the one who believes that history has a direction such that things happening later will be better than things happening earlier. I've read enough history to know this isn't what happens.

My username is a joke

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Randarkman posted:

Counterpoint: Constitutional monarchies are essentially harmless and Republics are really boring.

It's not cool to be a subject.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Randarkman posted:

How? Because like a single family in an entire country have to be living symbols rather than actual people? You know what, I can live with that.

I don't want my country's living symbol to be a lingering remnant of autocracy. Unfortunately the whole point is we don't get to choose

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can understand all the stabilizing elements of a constitutional monarchy, how it provides an outlet for dumb nationalists, how it prevents the (real) central executive from building up too much of a cult of personality, how it's easier to implement than just straight up tossing out your royals...

...but it still fundamentally requires taking some idiot fop, putting them up on a plinth and holding ceremonies to praise them and how much they deserve their dumb hat.

Also, theoretically a clever royal could build up their own power base and cult of personality and try overthrowing the democratic institution, which while supposedly unlikely is one more sword of damocles than you really need above your head.

Thankfully Prince Charles is an unlikeable idiot

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Benagain posted:

Man I'm like 1/20th welsh at best but it's the best part of my heritage because no other part comes with a sweet flag.

I can't imagine having such a detailed account of my ancestry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cessna posted:

Yeah, and some of their push-back is excellent:

The racism and homophobia is just slightly less offensive than that font