Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Math You posted:

So my trip to big white is just over a week away. I checked their rental catalog and it seems pretty good. Having only ridden 4 snowboards in my life I'm pretty tempted to give the rentals a shot.

Anybody way cooler than me want to take a look at this list and point out some of the cooler boards? I currently ride a fullbag diamond blade for reference. Buttering and riding switch isn't too high on my list of priorities!

I'd take a Jones Mountain twin, probably even a day on the Hovercraft, if the conditions are good. (Should be with all the systems coming in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

^^ Jones Mind Expander over either of those imo. Then again, Jones boards do nothing for me.

Math You posted:

So my trip to big white is just over a week away. I checked their rental catalog and it seems pretty good. Having only ridden 4 snowboards in my life I'm pretty tempted to give the rentals a shot.

Anybody way cooler than me want to take a look at this list and point out some of the cooler boards? I currently ride a fullbag diamond blade for reference. Buttering and riding switch isn't too high on my list of priorities!

If you get a deep pow day, the Yes 420 should be your first choice. The Nitro Squash, Salomon Super8 and Rome Ravine are all mountain chargers that also work well in the fluffy stuff.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So coming back from Pano a few days ago we got rear-ended by some loving idiot doing 120 in an 80 zone and not paying any attention to the roads at all. The back of my car was completely destroyed, luckily Mr. Hookshot and I are completely fine and insurance is taking care of the car.

Unfortunately, I have to go to Kimberley on the 25th for some races. So now, instead of driving comfortably over in my nice new car I have to fly, because the rental we have has sketchy all-season tires and I absolutely do not feel safe driving it across the province and across three mountain passes to get to Kimberley and back. I know it could have been a lot worse, and I'm really thankful that we're both fine, but gently caress any other time I would have been like "yeah whatever taking two weeks to fix my car is fine" but I really, really would have liked to have it for this trip.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

highme posted:

^^ Jones Mind Expander over either of those imo. Then again, Jones boards do nothing for me.

If you get a deep pow day, the Yes 420 should be your first choice. The Nitro Squash, Salomon Super8 and Rome Ravine are all mountain chargers that also work well in the fluffy stuff.

Thanks a bunch :)
The original list was a bit overwhelming in scope

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

So coming back from Pano a few days ago we got rear-ended by some loving idiot doing 120 in an 80 zone and not paying any attention to the roads at all. The back of my car was completely destroyed, luckily Mr. Hookshot and I are completely fine and insurance is taking care of the car.

Unfortunately, I have to go to Kimberley on the 25th for some races. So now, instead of driving comfortably over in my nice new car I have to fly, because the rental we have has sketchy all-season tires and I absolutely do not feel safe driving it across the province and across three mountain passes to get to Kimberley and back. I know it could have been a lot worse, and I'm really thankful that we're both fine, but gently caress any other time I would have been like "yeah whatever taking two weeks to fix my car is fine" but I really, really would have liked to have it for this trip.
Glad you're ok hookshot. A 40 kph speed difference is pretty significant.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Did some ski boot shopping today. Looking for a touring setup that's on the light and fast side so I can do some of the local rando races and not hate it when I'm climbing up mountains. LBS owner wears the same size and I tried on his fisher traverses today. They didn't fit so great- tight in the toe box and a little loose around the heel but I'm still going to borrow his stuff next week and try it all out and race on it. Should be fun trying to figure out how to use and take off skins in the dark at a race and also ski down on floppy boots and pin bindings.

Then when down the street to a shop and checked out what they had and tried on a couple. Atomic backland fit really well and felt and flexed and is built a lot like the fisher so I should have a pretty good idea of how it skis after next week. Odd thing was that the fisher has a 100mm last, and has some use, while the backland is 98mm and brand new and unmolded, and the fisher was way tighter at the forefoot and toes. The backlands were really snug, but uniformly so and squeezed my heel pretty good. They also had some last year's atomic hawx xtds in my size on sale so I tried those on, but they were kind of loose despite also being 98mm last atomics. Although I think the backland (and salomon slabs) are actually based on those arcteryx boots? They also did not feel that stiff for a 130 flex boot but I suppose room temp makes stuff softer. Or maybe they were the 120s. Did not try on the technica zero g's but they're light and I've been looking at them and currently ski on technica so they'll probably fit similarly.

I've been wanting to get into this for a long time as I have a lot of friends that do it and need more stuff to do in the winter. It's definitely the year for it as the upper lift at our local ski hill is broken so if you want to ski anything off the top you have to skin or hike. And our other ski hill which has been closed down for like 15 years is a good spot for pretty safe touring.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 18, 2020

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Glad you're ok hookshot. A 40 kph speed difference is pretty significant.

Thanks, yeah, it turns out those Subarus get those safety ratings for a reason. Worst damage to me was a bruise on my arm where my GS ski rammed into it during the impact, and one of the bindings on my slalom skis broke.

Sadly a pie I was really looking forward to eating also flew out the back window at some point, but oh well :(

edit: here's the damage:

HookShot fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 18, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am headed up to Whistler on Monday. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Peak 2 Peak gondola; specifically do you need/required to have skis to get to it? My parents are past skiing age but really want to go on the gondola. I noticed that the P2P gondola looks like it has tickets you can buy for it. Will my Epic pass get me on, or do I need to buy specific pass for that?

Also I was wondering if the conditions on Blackcomb Glacier/Glacier road are typically worse than the rest of the mountain, or if it is usually more icy? Is there avalanche risk there? It looks like it would be a beautiful run and I would like to take my son on it, but don't want to get him into anything too sketchy for him. He tends to do well on most blues at most resorts. Of course I know that difficulty is all relative and whatnot but just kind of looking for a gut check.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

No, you can easily walk to the peak 2 peak. No tickets needed. (other than getting up to the gondola itself).
Blackcomb glacier can be epic with fresh snow, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. Hookshot probably knows it better than me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I did the Swiss kids ski instructor course this week. It was really hard! Not only because the course was in French which was obviously expected, but the course itself was not as described. Most students had already been teaching for between 2 and 8 (!) years, and some of them personally knew the kids we were teaching. Not really a level playing field. Also the course was basically a week-long test rather than that much skills development.

I guess there is a big difference between education style in Switzerland and what I'm used to. I passed but have mild PTSD.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congratulation Knox! I think mild PTSD describes the constant state of all kids ski instructors.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I got 44 runs in over the last two days at Purgatory. Yesterday was awesome, tons of powder and snowing throughout the day. The wind picked up for a bit though and visibility was pretty awful. I managed to take a jump I didn’t realize was there and almost landed it but managed to lose a pole in the process. I eventually found it in some deep powder nearby. Not a ski trip without a Jerry moment for me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No, you can easily walk to the peak 2 peak. No tickets needed. (other than getting up to the gondola itself).
Blackcomb glacier can be epic with fresh snow, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. Hookshot probably knows it better than me.

This is correct!

Honestly I think the Blackcomb Glacier should be listed as a black run. You have to walk up to the entrance from the top of the t-bars, although it's not a long walk (like 5 minutes, tops) but a kid in tow probably doesn't want to make his way up the road to get there, and it's literally never groomed. The terrain itself isn't hard at all but much like The Saddle it's a run that most resorts would probably list as a black diamond just because when there's no freshies it's usually pretty moguled out. I honestly haven't been up there in years because I can't be hosed walking to the entrance when there's so much other terrain around.

There are lots of beautiful runs at WB that would probably be better for you with a kid.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

This is correct!

Honestly I think the Blackcomb Glacier should be listed as a black run. You have to walk up to the entrance from the top of the t-bars, although it's not a long walk (like 5 minutes, tops) but a kid in tow probably doesn't want to make his way up the road to get there, and it's literally never groomed. The terrain itself isn't hard at all but much like The Saddle it's a run that most resorts would probably list as a black diamond just because when there's no freshies it's usually pretty moguled out. I honestly haven't been up there in years because I can't be hosed walking to the entrance when there's so much other terrain around.

There are lots of beautiful runs at WB that would probably be better for you with a kid.

Ok, good to know, I think I will skip it then.

Unrelated to the actual skiing my trip has a new wrinkle in it. I had assumed the place I am staying at, which offers a parking spot, would be able to accomodate a vehicle with a roof box. Unfortunately it seems like this is not the case, so now I need to figure out where to park overnight that can fit a car with a roof box. You wouldn't happen to have any leads on that would you?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I got 44 runs in over the last two days at Purgatory. Yesterday was awesome, tons of powder and snowing throughout the day. The wind picked up for a bit though and visibility was pretty awful. I managed to take a jump I didn’t realize was there and almost landed it but managed to lose a pole in the process. I eventually found it in some deep powder nearby. Not a ski trip without a Jerry moment for me.

Yeah it was windy as poo poo yesterday in Telluride. The place I go to PT has a sauna you can sit in and watch people on the bunny slope get drilled by sideways snow, which is about as close to skiing as I get these days.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Anyone use Hotronics? My toes were cold as poo poo today while I had mine turned up to 3. It was about 17° mid-mountain. Is this normal? Because it sure seems like it.

In other news, apparently my :airquote: secret stash at Winter Park still had 6” on it and was almost completely untouched, even though approximately 22% of Denver was up there today. It’s usually skied out on any non-powder day. Even Even Eagle Wind was skiing well :iiam:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

Anyone use Hotronics? My toes were cold as poo poo today while I had mine turned up to 3. It was about 17° mid-mountain. Is this normal? Because it sure seems like it.

In other news, apparently my :airquote: secret stash at Winter Park still had 6” on it and was almost completely untouched, even though approximately 22% of Denver was up there today. It’s usually skied out on any non-powder day. Even Even Eagle Wind was skiing well :iiam:

Keystone was killer today. Despite insane traffic last night and this morning the longest lift line was 2 minutes.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Keystone was killer today. Despite insane traffic last night and this morning the longest lift line was 2 minutes.

I left my place at 6:07. Waze took me through Clear Creek Canyon up to Blackhawk and then back down the million dollar highway. Got to the lot at 8:45. Bananas.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

I left my place at 6:07. Waze took me through Clear Creek Canyon up to Blackhawk and then back down the million dollar highway. Got to the lot at 8:45. Bananas.

It was such a poo poo show last night that we didn't drive up to our place. We left lohi at 5:40 and it still took 2 hours to our place in Dillon. Just ridiculous.

But my buddy left for Breck at 3:30 yesterday and got there at 9:45.... :suicide:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

It was such a poo poo show last night that we didn't drive up to our place. We left lohi at 5:40 and it still took 2 hours to our place in Dillon. Just ridiculous.

But my buddy left for Breck at 3:30 yesterday and got there at 9:45.... :suicide:

I looked at traffic at like 10 o'clock last night and 70 was just solid red all the way to the tunnel. As always, I'm glad I work weekends.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Finally our deep freeze is breaking tomorrow :neckbeard: heading out to get some

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

HookShot posted:

Thanks, yeah, it turns out those Subarus get those safety ratings for a reason. Worst damage to me was a bruise on my arm where my GS ski rammed into it during the impact, and one of the bindings on my slalom skis broke.

Sadly a pie I was really looking forward to eating also flew out the back window at some point, but oh well :(

edit: here's the damage:

Glad you two are ok but holy hell that guy.

Didn't happen to have a red license plate did he?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

That's a Colorado thing. Hookshot lives in Canuckistan.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

New skis day

I really like them. The Shift bindings are really neat and I like the confidence of having a proper alpine binding for skiing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Nope, but he was certainly dumb enough to be!

ironlung posted:

That's a Colorado thing. Hookshot lives in Canuckistan.

Red license plates being bad is a universal ski thing lol; here it means you’re from Alberta, who are notoriously bad drivers in general, but especially when you add corners.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Today is my birthday and I am in Breckenridge. I'm used to east coast skiing and this is so much better it's basically a different sport. It's also making me want to replace my sixteen-year-old skis with something newer, so I guess I'll be doing research for my next birthday starting now!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Jfc these holiday crowds. We have all kinds of people on terrain they have no business being on. One of our lifts has a warning that there is only expert terrain open off that lift and of course everyone is ignoring the sign.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 19, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Today is my birthday and I am in Breckenridge. I'm used to east coast skiing and this is so much better it's basically a different sport. It's also making me want to replace my sixteen-year-old skis with something newer, so I guess I'll be doing research for my next birthday starting now!

Western skiing kicks rear end.

Someone with a Subaru like yours cut me off with like a foot on my way to Louise this morning

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Apparently some quality snowboard coaching at Whistler hookshot:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=713591629048098

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 19, 2020

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Someone with a Subaru like yours cut me off with like a foot on my way to Louise this morning

LOL I wish it was me :(

Seriously though I'm glad you were able to avoid them. Idiot drivers are the loving worst.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

90 minutes to get in to Kirkwood parking today, a mile from the base. Some fuckwit decided to pull out of the lane turning right off 88 to the mountain to make like he was going to continue straight towards Tahoe, but instead just cut 20 cars ahead and merged back in right before the turn.

Of course the 2 CHP cars stationed by the intersection didn’t give a gently caress.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
In VT, while this snow storm was a lot less than originally forecasted earlier in the week, it's so nice to see the mountain be back at 100% open, even if it's bony on the natural stuff. Dropping a rope for a dad and their kid to go hooting and hollering down as second and third tracks is my favorite thing.

Yuns posted:

Jfc these holiday crowds. We have all kinds of people on terrain they have no business being on. One of our lifts has a warning that there is only expert terrain open off that lift and of course everyone is ignoring the sign.
Nobody reads the signs patrol put up, and also park rats are the bane for constantly breaking them :argh:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Couple good days at Keystone considering it was a holiday weekend. Had fun hiking the bowls and boosting some frontside side hits today. Looking forward to more days this season.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

HookShot posted:

LOL I wish it was me :(

Seriously though I'm glad you were able to avoid them. Idiot drivers are the loving worst.

After living here for over a decade, I'm sure glad I got defensive driving training as a teen. I've lived in most major cities in NA, and Alberta drivers, especially the Calgary flavor in fancy German cars, are the absolute worst. And I'm glad learned to drive in the snow (literally, my first training drive was after a substantial blizzard, instructor said "living with lake effect you might as well learn now").

Was a pretty ace day, no new snow but they have tons of it and things were skiing soft and let me work more on my mogul project. Buddy had new boots and developed a hot spot that ended the day a bit early but still the sun came out and it was not -30! So overall perfect

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whitewater is pretty fun :) did a half day today as my hosts are a bit sore already, gonna rip a full one tomorrow while they're at work.

Gotta get on that back foot though. Went balls fast off a groomer into knee deep snow and tomahawked my way down.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Laserface posted:

Whitewater is pretty fun :) did a half day today as my hosts are a bit sore already, gonna rip a full one tomorrow while they're at work.

Gotta get on that back foot though. Went balls fast off a groomer into knee deep snow and tomahawked my way down.

I'm super glad for you! I asked my ski buddy about the place thinking of you (he was a former junior racer based out of Pano and has skied everywhere in southern BC and Alberta) and he really liked Whitewater.

That said all he wants in the world is for someone to build a new lodge and reopen Fortress. He also regrets never skiing Pigeon Mtn at Dead Man Flats so I dropped the idea of skinning up it sometime. We'll see if that catches hold

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm glad I didn't go up this weekend, I hate holiday crowds. Of course, I'm going up on President's day weekend because I hate myself

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

After living here for over a decade, I'm sure glad I got defensive driving training as a teen. I've lived in most major cities in NA, and Alberta drivers, especially the Calgary flavor in fancy German cars, are the absolute worst. And I'm glad learned to drive in the snow (literally, my first training drive was after a substantial blizzard, instructor said "living with lake effect you might as well learn now").

Was a pretty ace day, no new snow but they have tons of it and things were skiing soft and let me work more on my mogul project. Buddy had new boots and developed a hot spot that ended the day a bit early but still the sun came out and it was not -30! So overall perfect

I'll never forget the time I drove through downtown Calgary one morning and saw, I poo poo you not, six different accidents.

Like, Vancouver drivers are bad, I'll readily admit that, but yeah Alberta and especially Calgary drivers are a different breed.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Went to Snow Summit today, and for whatever reason there were noticeably less people than the last few weekends. Maybe people thought everyone else was going and just didn’t bother :iiam:

...or crowds are just dying down cause it hasn’t had new snow since like...last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Last decade