Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Weidman has been fighting only world championsgive Kelvin a yearfor half a decade and he has paid dearly for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

Rockhold Romero kelvin mousasi jacare is a terrifying run of fights. I don’t think anyone but maybe like jones could get through that without getting hurt bad

it makes your "more impressive that he was winning" point even more depressing; the fact that he was getting the best of all of those guys before Something Went Wrong (or in Kelvin's case he got dropped and won anyway) means it's not like he hit a precipitous decline and sucks, he's still incredibly good and fighting to the best of his abilities, he just can't hang in the loving murderer's row that is the top of 185.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

nobody cares about 125 and nobody would care about it even harder knowing that without a doubt the best fighter in the division is in a different org. no big loss. the fighters that are actually good will be back in the ufc at 135. the rest will go be fodder for dj in one. now all we need to do is add 165 and eliminate 205.

counterpoint: this is super lovely and sucks and I hate it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This may be a controversial "hot Take" for which I internet apologize, but personally, I like it when the fighting promotion has good fighters in it and I dislike it when they get rid of them.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I dunno if Cain was ever the cardio monster people say he was and if it wasn't just the heavyweights being really loving bad but Cain was good if only because his tattoo upset a lot of pasty nerds

Most heavyweights are really bad, but Cain's cardio was a legit thing by the division's standards. Fightmetric keeps a ranking of fighters by most strikes landed per minute and it's almost all featherweights and Joanna/Cyborg, and then there are two heavyweights: Volkov at #8, which is thanks mostly to the Lewis fight being 1/5 of his sample size, and Cain at #6, because he is the only heavyweight who never stops punching you.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Waroduce posted:

can anyone explain to me a brief history of sage northcutt and why is he not signed with the ufc? is he not good?

Sage Northcutt is the kind of guy who has legitimate talent and a well-rounded-if-karate-fetishist enough base that he could be a credible star if he'd developed the right way, fighting people with fake names in regional circuits while training with a well-rounded team like a normal human, but instead he was managed by his insane father who had him in full contact karate as a fetus and fighting MMA at 15 and in the UFC at 19 and then his training was managed by post-Thonglor post-Ludwig Team Alpha Male who mostly taught him to wrestle a little more and to abhor shirts in every form.

It's a sign of his being still pretty okay that he did decently in the lower ranks of the UFC, but the combination of crazy dad and Dana White desperately trying to squeeze money out of him before he was ready held him back and put him in positions he shouldn't have been in at this stage in his career.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It has been a long-rear end time since I saw someone get knocked out in an entirely new way.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

great big cardboard tube posted:

Niko Price via hammer fists off his back wasn't that long ago.

But yeah that was certainly some wacky poo poo.

See, that was amazing but not entirely new, Mamed Khalidov knocked out Jorge Santiago back in the dark ages by doing basically the same thing.

I have seen a couple vertical elbow knockouts, but not behind the back, bent over, not even loving looking.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

also remember like five months ago when dana fired yair and said he didn't belong in the UFC

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That is super loving neat, but I feel like whatever few hundred bucks anyone here would be able to give you is probably significantly less than you could get by finding those creepy MMA collectors on twitter.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Waroduce posted:

This is probably a dumb loving question but I have A 17 hour flight coming up. Any good UFC or martial art type books? Maybe about the business, a history of the organization or a cool fighters biography?

It's not about anything specific as much as an examination of fighting from one dude training with a bunch of different camps to understand why they do it, but Sam Sheridan's A Fighter's Heart is still one of my favorite martial arts books and my eternal first recommendation.

History-wise, Clyde Gentry's No Holds Barred is good, if about a decade out of date nowadays, and Jonathan Snowden's Total MMA is pretty good except for the parts where Jonathan Snowden sometimes cannot stop himself from writing as if he were Jonathan Snowden.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

his record in large ponds is definitely middling at best

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have been not liking the Diaz brothers for more than a decade and I do not see this streak ending.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

is this what you got out of it? you're not concerned about the cabal of pussies pressing the report button on posts and shaking their heads but are too bitch made to say something in the thread? the guys who just want to post in a relaxed atmosphere and have a good time without the teacher throwing time outs at bullshit are the problem?

seriously is this the majority view? if it is i will seriously get the gently caress out of here. i will straight up do yall a favour because gently caress hanging out if this is what this place has become

you just made an argument for why "6ers are nothing" crowds aren't fully appreciating bad moderation standards and the standards of SA and now you're complaining that people don't break the rules enough by posting about bad posting instead of doing what SA tells you to do and letting the moderators deal with it so it doesn't become slapfighty circlejerky posting-cliques thing like the thing you are doing right now

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

this loving gibberish. i don't think you comprehended a single argument i made or made a single salient point yourself. small communities like this one self police. fatherdog gave out like three probes the entire time he was here and they were to people like the sexual market guy. the community dictated the standards for the community by posting to each other about it. fd didn't decide he didn't like the lol word and persecute it with extreme prejudice. he just pinged people for saying human being or whatever.

if you've got something to say in the mma thread, say it. don't loving pm the wrestling mod with you snivelling concerns resulting in good, funny people getting probed for dog poo poo.

or, alternatively, it's possible that other people use the forum differently than you see it and maybe it's not that everyone else is wrong and you are the only right one, as in a community with differing views

here's a fun hypothetical example: I think the endless flood of "lol" shitposting and the now multi-year-long recurring tantrum about not being able to say slurs is beyond idiotic and tiring, but i'm not going to fall to my knees and cry "IS THIS WHAT HAS BECOME OF OUR MMA FORUM" to the heavens about it. if I came in every time skip my posts just went "lol" at something and replied "Hey, friend. Have you thought about what this says about our community posting standards? Please try to post better." for one I'd be a loving idiot and for two all I'd be contributing is lovely derails that don't convince anyone of anything, because nothing I am saying is actually any deeper than "i think this sucks," like what you are doing now, when on the other hand I am perfectly free to not engage with that post and let him have whatever the gently caress posting fun he wants and not make a big deal out of it just because i don't like it.

post what you want, interact with the posters you want to interact with. you're not rescuing genius from the abyss by being mad the moderator probates people for saying slurs.

edit: i look forward to the probations we're all going to get for having this conversation.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

thanks for admitting to being the snitch, saves me making broad strokes and catching some benign posters in my awesome crossfire, but the fact that you think saying 'lol' in response to a mondo brain damaged assertion by a person who is completely unqualified to make that assertion is worthy of moderator intervention then you are absolutely the loving problem.

next time you see a lol, you could try saying hey, skip my posts, that reply is scurrying away from the awesome point dickhead #57 made about how much the ufc is worth, try answering his question in the future instead of bitching out of a discussion. and immediately after pressing post you'll get me and several other people saying 'lol' at you because you took the side of the stupid dickhead who deserves to be made fun of and dismissed because your brain clearly doesn't work properly.

the community is now magically better. stupid derails about the ufc's value will stop because the community decided it's stupid. no mod intervention necessary.

i don't think i've ever actually reported anyone for anything, but i also don't think there are enough posts in the UFC thread these days th--

Bluedeanie posted:

I know its hard to imagine with the tens of posts these threads get every week, but its possible nobody reported anybody and the mod just read it organically and probated for it

yeah, that.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

oh so you really don't like when people laugh at stupid assholes with dumb opinions but you don't press the report button? awesome you're marginally less sad than i had you pegged for but honestly man still not getting a good vibe

dude, we're both posting hot takes on forum subculture. there are no fun, sexy winners here.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

I hope Holloway is good to go now. He's had to bow out of his last 3 quasi-scheduled bouts

I am trying not to have really, really bad feelings about Holloway continuing to fight and I am failing miserably.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

If Joanna doesn't win, she's gotta be in a rough place because I doubt she could get a third match against Rose in Strawweight

Y'know, I'm not sure. She probably SHOULDN'T get a third shot at Rose, but from the UFC's perspective she's still the most marketable challenger at 115 unless Waterson can finally crack the top 5, I doubt they'd have any compunction about doing Rose/Joanna 3: This Time In A Shark Cage.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'm thinking about it from the perspective of Ronda/Miesha, where Miesha was the clear top contender for Ronda but couldn't get the match because she'd already been beaten by her more than once. Of course Ronda's implosion against Holly Holm and Nunes makes me wonder if maybe Miesha wouldn't have ended up getting a win on her after all, given that until that point she was the one who had given Ronda the most trouble in fights.

I think it's a little different--overarchingly because WME-IMG is a lot less picky about title fights and Ronda was a megastar who popped interest no matter who she fought whereas Rose, while cool as hell, is still only really known to people who already closely follow fighting--but mostly Ronda was also kind of spoiled for credible challengers: McMann, Zingano, Holm and Correia were all undefeated with good highlight reels and 3/4 of them were champions in other sports, and Alexis Davis was on a really solid tear, whereas right now women's 115 is actually kind of a mess, if you go down the top ten:
  • Joanna's #1 but already got beat by the champion twice in a row
  • Andrade is the clear contender and will almost certainly get the next shot, but also got beat by Joanna
  • Gadelha's only won 1 fight, which was a super-close split decision against Esparza, and just before that got beat by Andrade
  • Suarez is a potentially solid contender but needs a top 5 win
  • Kowalkiewicz just got knocked the gently caress out by Andrade
  • Tecia just got dropped two in a row
  • Waterson is on her way back but just got beat by Torres and Rose a year ago
  • Esparza just dropped two in a row
  • Herrig just dropped two in a row
  • what is a Cortney Casey

So you've basically got one obvious contender and one obvious prospect, and then down in the lower ranks they would love to market the poo poo out of Mackenzie Dern if she could make weight and win a couple ranked fights, and that's sort of it. So if their options are "a fresh matchup with a contender barely anyone cares about who's only sort of credible" or "do Joanna again because she's still beating top contenders and more people know her than any other alternatives," I feel like they'll go :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

spb posted:

Anyway, any good fights on this card or no?

The main card's okay and evenly categorically divided between "the only good fighters from China" and "heavyweight" so it should be the right kind of stupid.

edit: also Overeem's probably getting retired by a russian without a wikipedia page

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 23, 2018