Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Aw Buddy!

You know it!

Bacter, what's this nonsense?

THIS, my fine friends, is Heat Signature. It's by John Roberts, and that man can make a GAME.

He was, for instance, behind Gunpoint, a noir punch-em-up which I'm on record as loving.

This game is even better

What's the COMPLICATED BACKST

Shhhh.

I just got done playing a game about rhymes fifty times in a row to watch an unpleasant man screw up his life in 40 different ways. I'm ready for a break.

I want to hit people with a wrench.

The writing is indeed a high point in this game, but the story is PRETTY minimal compared to the gameplay. It's like an "also there" kind of thing.

So... spoilers?

There's like... one pretty big spoiler that I'd ask you not spoil. If you know what it is, you'll know what it is. Other than that, I don't care. Talk about anything, talk about anything we haven't seen, share your war stories, etc. etc. etc.

Bacter, your first video didn't explain fully all the interlocking systems and

Again with the shushing! I tried to do my best to hit the ground running without bogging down too much - there will be time to take it slowly in future challenge runs, which I DO plan to do (and am actively taking suggestions for!), for now, just watch some glorious stealth-action gameplay!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Tom Francis indeed makes good games, it makes me wonder what would Chris Livingston make if he gave it a go.

It's still loading as of this post.:v:

e: It cannot be understated how many options are opened up depending where windows are positioned, they're great. They can used as an entry/exit point, eliminate tough mooks or to skip a section of a ship. It does more for freedom of approach than say, the open world style map did for MGS V.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 17, 2018

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009
This is an amazing game so I'm going to be watching this with great interest. And a rechargeable subverter IS amazing. And the best part of subverters is that, instead of just turning things off, they turn them to your uses. The most hilarious effect of that is subverting a shield so that, instead of letting things out and nothing in, it lets things in and nothing out. Nothing like letting a subverted shield guard see you, shoot and kill himself with the insane ricocheting.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I 100% need to use the subverter a bit more - getting pretty into wrenching in this update (though I haven't shown off the incredible sword throw yet).

There's lots and lots of unlockable content in the game, so we're really only JUST getting rolling!

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.
You could have used the visitor you got out of the box to get to the keycard terminal behind the bottom locked door to continue that one mission you abandoned.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Glalev posted:

This is an amazing game so I'm going to be watching this with great interest. And a rechargeable subverter IS amazing. And the best part of subverters is that, instead of just turning things off, they turn them to your uses. The most hilarious effect of that is subverting a shield so that, instead of letting things out and nothing in, it lets things in and nothing out. Nothing like letting a subverted shield guard see you, shoot and kill himself with the insane ricocheting.
They also bend locked doors to your will. Crashbeams do have one ability subverters don't, to make up for it (they shut down comms, so a guard can't radio in an alarm), but the subverter is the handier pick nineteen times out of twenty.

Apparently it's my day to be That Guy, 'cause i just gotta add - your guess about doors and jammer fields is a bit off base - beam-based things work just fine firing in to a jammer field - if you can't reach a jammer module, your extreme-range crash or subber might do the trick. In this instance, the door shorted out and locked closed for a minute because that's what a crash does to a door - useful if you need to block a pursuer!

Also, i sure do love this game and can claim to be, eh, moderately good at it. As the first LP of yours i can actually say that second part about, i'd be glad to chip in if you ever want or need!

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 20, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Excellent LP, I hope to see gimmick character runs like running around with a full inventory of wrenches.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I played, I would legit bring extra wrenches with me on missions simply so I could throw things faster.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Excellent LP, I hope to see gimmick character runs like running around with a full inventory of wrenches.

Johnny Five-Wrenches is an amazingly overpowered character gimmick as long as you don't encounter any shields or armour. Highly recommended. (I actually did such an archetype for a Bloodless Vow character, who unfortunately failed the vow in their personal mission when someone decided to follow my unconscious body out the airlock)

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Bacter posted:

I 100% need to use the subverter a bit more - getting pretty into wrenching in this update (though I haven't shown off the incredible sword throw yet).

There's lots and lots of unlockable content in the game, so we're really only JUST getting rolling!

that blip in space you didn't know what it was?

that was the guy with the keycard being spaced when your ship undocked. That's why you couldn't find the keycard.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So anyone at all dying over the course of the mission, regardless of whether it's a murder, suicide or accident, counts as a kill for your character?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ceebees posted:

Also, i sure do love this game and can claim to be, eh, moderately good at it. As the first LP of yours i can actually say that second part about, i'd be glad to chip in if you ever want or need!

I'll be asking for pro-tips along the way for SURE. I'm probably 1/3 of the way through the learning curve (which, hey, perfect time for an LP, right? :v:)

Doing some editing on the next video - I do want to ask before we get much further:

We're in the Drift, which is a dense nebula of extremely valuable resources but not much in the way of planets.

We'll be liberating the Drift, which means freeing the stations from the grip of the four factions:

Foundry - The engineers who were sent to scout the drift, and were abandoned. They built up infrastructure and laid claim to the area. Think explosions, armor, big chunky guns, and brute force.

Sovereign - A massive megacorp, these were the guys that abandoned foundry here before. They ONLY use lethal weapons, and have some pretty good and deadly ones for upgrades.

Offworld - A security force put together by the nearest planet. They use non-lethal and concussive weapons - basically the opposite of sovereign.

Glitchers - A fleet of roving techhead mercenaries, they have a lot of teleportation technology, and weird, cobbled together spaceships.

Do we want to go after stations owned by each faction equally for a while, or concentrate on one of the four? I'm up for any!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've had this game described to me as "they are playing FTL but you are playing hotline miami", and it looks exactly like that - i.e. fun as heck. I say we send a message by bringing down one of the factions first: how about sovereign? We already have the ultimate nonlethal weapon aka wrench, so let's get some other toys.

Is it possible to zoom in a bit? I'm watching on a 15" laptop and everything is oh so small. But I guess the game gets a lot harder if the extents of your vision are limited.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Xander77 posted:

So anyone at all dying over the course of the mission, regardless of whether it's a murder, suicide or accident, counts as a kill for your character?
It's pretty hard to distinguish between a murder and an "accident" that's 100% your fault. I think they probably didn't want you gaming the system by "guiltlessly" tricking guards into killing themselves by shooting barrels and windows and whatever else.

With Bloodless missions specifically, it's flavoured like the client doesn't want anyone to die at all, so in that case it makes sense that they don't care about the cause.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, they all run under the assumption that even if you didn't kill them yourself, they wouldn't have been in that situation if you hadn't invaded the ship in the first place.

As for our approach, I'd like to see getting equal focus for a while (to see a nice variety of unlocks). And when it comes time to actually start finishing off the factions, I vote for bringing down Foundry last, as the other three unlock a character to chat to in the stations when you liberate them, but Foundry's turns up from the beginning.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009
Some more of my favorite tools shown off in this vid. The slipstream is... interesting. Your control on your character gets seriously iffy when it runs out so if you're in motion, running at super speed and then it turns off, things are going to get uncontrollable really fast. I had one turn off while I was running towards a window, planning to turn around a corner to evade pursuit. Instead, I slammed into that window at what felt like mach 1 and found myself in space.

Really, this game is awesome because there's a lot of odd interactions that you can exploit or get slipped up by and a big part of the learning curve is figuring out what happens in those weird edge cases and how you can use it. For example, a visitor followed by other teleports will eventually get you back to where the visitor was first used, that can lead to impressive rescue/kidnapping/theft shenanigans where you warp in, grab what you want and then get out far away.

-edit-

As for who to go for, my own vote is for glitchers but that's because I love their pod and I'm a big fan of all the flavors of teleporters you get access to from them.

Glalev fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 20, 2018

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

It's pretty hard to distinguish between a murder and an "accident" that's 100% your fault. I think they probably didn't want you gaming the system by "guiltlessly" tricking guards into killing themselves by shooting barrels and windows and whatever else.

With Bloodless missions specifically, it's flavoured like the client doesn't want anyone to die at all, so in that case it makes sense that they don't care about the cause.

As we'll see in one of the defector missions, strolling into the middle of a small room and activating an emergency shield is an EXCELLENT way to cause lots of deaths.

And it mirrors my expectations for how things would go in real life: if I told somebody "I want this stolen, and I don't want anybody dead", I wouldn't be happy if their excuse was how they didn't PERSONALLY shoot anybody, but they blew up half the station and somebody just got jettisoned out into space, what can you do? :shrug:

Crazy Achmed posted:

Is it possible to zoom in a bit? I'm watching on a 15" laptop and everything is oh so small. But I guess the game gets a lot harder if the extents of your vision are limited.

I'll give it a try next update!

N..next after the one I'm going to post once I finish editing. Two updates from now!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 20, 2018

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

And here's that FIRST one - next update: SUPER ZOOMED IN, BABY. Happy American Thanksgiving, if you celebrate it! As always, I'm thankful for (among other things), the ability to be weird and play games and have you all tune in!

(still loading etc.)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 22, 2018

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Yeah, the early game before your liberations start unlocking the good stuff (tm) can be a little harsh. But in a way, it's some of my favorite parts of the game too - how the heck do i get through 40 armored guards to my assassination target with nothing but a loud gun, a silent gun, and a fistful of one-shot teleporters? Maybe I can't, but if i figure it out, it'll be so much cooler.

So let me throw a couple ideas at you that might've helped in this video - obviously, you can set down a trap and hope someone's going to walk into it. But, what if you wanted to be a little more proactive?

Trap + Swapper - Got an assassination target with special kit that refuses to go on patrol? Throw down a trap at your own feet and trade places!

Melee traps - get into someone's face with a wrench swing, and then slap a trap on them to get to the chewy center inside. (preferably with the target's back against a wall, they do still take a little momentum from a love-tap and there's nothing more embarrassing than bonking a guy out of the trap you set down)
If there's two people that the trap radius could effect, or if you're Slipstreaming, it can get real shaky real fast though!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I thought he was going to fire the visitor a little way up the passage, then use the swapper as the visotor almost expires to pull the Assassination target away and then teleport back to safety.

Or drop a grenade on the pile of mens.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm curious as to why you didn't just scram there at the end with Trustor. The target was dead and you were right by the entrance.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm not in America but I am thankful for the zoomed-in action!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm curious as to why you didn't just scram there at the end with Trustor. The target was dead and you were right by the entrance.

The answer is basically always "didn't take enough time to stop and think".

I'll try to be a bit more deliberate on the larger ships, but some of it also comes down to familiarity, which is building swiftly!

So, on trying to re-load the galaxy, my game locked a few times. Since we weren't too far, I decided to go for a new galaxy, and quickly get back up to speed! And this time, done RIGHT.

I tried to zoom in much more often, and I'm pleased with my progress - and also, I have to say, with the next video that's coming out after this one. We get some REALLY good ships. Hope you enjoy this one!

(Still loading etc.)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 26, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Your dialogue with yourself is fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, the subtitles on this one were great.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

More details from the dev blog -

With the release of the latest expansion pack a month or two ago, Quiet guns are now standard-issue across all spaceship crew. Nothing to do with them being concussive or not. The sound of a Quiet gun won't travel through a closed door, like a Loud gunshot will. You can see the white circle around you when you have a gun equipped, the radius that the sound is audible in - for a Loud gun, everyone in that hears it, always; Quiet, the sound obeys Sidewinder rules for if it gets to the destination or not.

While the expressed developer intent of switching standard guards from Loud to Quiet guns was for you to be able to recover (violently) from a mistake in one room without inevitably alerting the next room over by using a loud gun off the floor, it still gives me an amusing mental picture of the captain-pilot complaining that all the shooting competitions, murders, and hostile boarding actions were keeping them up at night, and could Corporate HQ please hand out quieter guns to those dumb goons from now on.

Also, the hitch where you couldn't act, you managed to pause while halfway through an attack-leap, and so you couldn't use any other items because you were currently wrenching. Very marginally useful if you manage to pause mid-leap to flip the off switch on a sentry gun, but mostly just a weird hiccup as a result of how things are coded.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 26, 2018

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh man, that is a great mental image!

I’m also a fan of “well, the guy that we’ve thrown out of the airlock four times in a row is back again, and managed to kill two more of us. There’s nothing for it boys, let’s... throw him out the airlock!

I’m glad you guys liked the subtitles, I might keep them in then! I’ve kind of been having them only between missions, because those parts drag a bit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
when you have 600 spacebux you should buy some overpriced mystery crates

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Which program do you use to record your subtitles?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I've been using Avidemux for all my editing stuff - it's actually a little less well-featured than avisynth, but I haven't wanted to do any REAL heavy editing, and it's a GUI as opposed to the 'ol text interface.

For subtitles, I just downloaded a template .ssa file, fiddled with the settings, and uploaded it right into avidemux. Not too bad!

SO

I've actually had this one up for a few days, but work really hit hard at the end of this week. Watch me get unbelievably lucky, both with drops and with window placement! I'm really, really satisfied with how this galaxy is coming together!

I've got a few more videos on "normal mode", which is to say just me showing off how a typical run goes - you kind of hit a plateau after a while, where there are more stations to unlock than new gameplay modes. That is NOT to say that each mission isn't still fun, and the chance for hijinx doesn't exponentially increase, buuuuuut

I'm about to start on some challenge runs before too long - if there's anything anybody would like to see, let me know and I'll prioritize it.

For now, we are going for a Balanced approach, unlocking items rather than going after any one faction.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

when you have 600 spacebux you should buy some overpriced mystery crates

Absolutely will!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Some Enigma runs, or maybe a loud glory run

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I was always a fan of doing Bloodless Ghost runs. It really limits your options to not be seen and not being allowed to kill in a way that just adding more guards doesn't (example: taking out 5 guards with 2 melee weapons and a gun during this video)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You could have subverted the teleporter - a subverted teleporter dumps anyone who uses it into space, meaning that fleeing targets immediately kill themselves or put you in range to just catch and capture them. As opposed to crashed teleporters, that just don't work.

You could also have smashed that window at the end by throwing the shortblade.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 1, 2018

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Tenebrais posted:

Things that end up in space can't be recovered. The real smart move was not to bother with knocking him out first before shooting the window.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Shortblades are too light to break windows.

Meanwhile, i was going to say, it's a good habit to give a ship's inventory one last once-over for things you can tag to take home before you space-defenstrate yourself. Capture/assassinate targets usually have goodies when you bop them, and are easy to miss!

As to challenges... how about the all-teleporter pacifist?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Having just finished this game yesterday I can safely say that playing as a ghost character is extremely fun. Although once you get the right equipment it's far easier to play as a ghost than any other character really. Except potentially where Jammer's are involved.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Zeniel posted:

Having just finished this game yesterday I can safely say that playing as a ghost character is extremely fun. Although once you get the right equipment it's far easier to play as a ghost than any other character really. Except potentially where Jammer's are involved.

Jammers always seem to be involved with ships I encounter.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Zeniel posted:

What do you consider the right equipment? Swapper, stealth shield, key cloner?

Slaan posted:

I was always a fan of doing Bloodless Ghost runs. It really limits your options to not be seen and not being allowed to kill in a way that just adding more guards doesn't (example: taking out 5 guards with 2 melee weapons and a gun during this video)

Yeah, guard without armor or shields... you can basically have as many as you want. Especially since you can have multiple guns that don't share a cooldown - I could carry eight guns and fire them all in a half-second. Unless anybody has any protection, of course!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 3, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bacter posted:

What do you consider the right equipment? Swapper, stealth shield, key cloner?

A sheet and a theremin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Strangers in the niiiiiight

He blew me out of the aiiiiirlock