Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Eat This Glob posted:

holy poo poo. pisssssssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized today that i pretty much always use bux when telling someone an amount of money.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
__ gay. So what
Psyduck being the only pokamen worthy of my love.
A bumper sticker Photoshop Phriday challenge that says "I beat my kids with my other kids!" Is something I can never not laugh like a goombus/think of everyday since like 04.
Just.... so much...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I realized today that i pretty much always use bux when telling someone an amount of money.
I've had to stop myself from saying "tenbux" many, many times. And I live in Europe.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
other people my age talking about video games: My kid keeps doing the fortnite dance and it's distracting me from hour 80 of RDR2, haha

me talking about video games: the xbox one's RAM is insane and pewdiepie is a pedophile who keeps shouting the n word at other pedophile racists *checks phone* aw gently caress he's done it again time to post

lt_kennedy posted:

A bumper sticker Photoshop Phriday challenge that says "I beat my kids with my other kids!" Is something I can never not laugh like a goombus/think of everyday since like 04.

I don't know if it was the same thread or not but the POW-MIA/YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN bumper sticker with the text edited to say YOUR SON DIED/FOR NO REASON is one of the few edgy web 1.0 shitposts that I have only grown to love even more over the years and is also the first thing to come to mind whenever I see one of those mawkish pieces of crap in the wild.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

During the Christmas season I'll randomly start cracking up in public because the SA christmas albums are playing in my head and I don't think that'll ever change.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
4 panel comics Loss and the lack of rings bother me greatly

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Riatsala posted:

During the Christmas season I'll randomly start cracking up in public because the SA christmas albums are playing in my head and I don't think that'll ever change.

Christmas albums?

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Guy Mann posted:

I don't know if it was the same thread or not but the POW-MIA/YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN bumper sticker with the text edited to say YOUR SON DIED/FOR NO REASON is one of the few edgy web 1.0 shitposts that I have only grown to love even more over the years and is also the first thing to come to mind whenever I see one of those mawkish pieces of crap in the wild.

Right? There's one I still can't find thats of a clown and the text "captialism invades every aspect of our threadbare society." That had legit haunted my dreams.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Riatsala posted:

I had to explain Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas Time to my partner yesterday. Not my proudest moment.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
A picture of the WTC as a flaming wreckage came up today and the first thing I thought was "It's missing Hulk Hogan"

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Antivehicular posted:

I had to explain Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas Time to my partner yesterday. Not my proudest moment.

I showed that to a co-worker once. She wasn't very amused.

Also tonight I had to try and explain why I found "the weirdest poo poo" online. She asked, "did you google for that?" No, no I did not. I just found it because of SA, became aware of it and then explored it further because it was funny as hell.

It was Sea Patrol. Apparently most normal people find it goddamn weird that I'm laughing a lot at Sea Patrol.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

twistedmentat posted:

If I say or hear "ten bux" I have to silently add "dumb fucks" in my head every time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

I need to Um Actually in any conversation that claims Slenderman was a creation of 4chan or Creepypasta.

That and I cannot stop using forums colloquialisms outside of it. Like I talk about Chuds forgetting that anyone who isn't on SA has no idea I mean Trump supporters.

Is there somewhere a list of SAs contributions to world culture? Didn't we invent lolcats/memes in general?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Putting cutesy text over images of cats for mass distribution predates photography itself and goes back to early lithographs, but using impact font? That's all goongrown baby!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Guy Mann posted:

In terms of actually ruining me I think the biggest negative effect SA had on my life was the way its PC gaming culture simultaneously prolonged the amount of time I spent immersed in gaming while spending less time actually playing games and not enjoying them nearly as much when I did. The fixation on deals and saving and gaming various systems especially, the Steam thread and the like are one huge community of people spending hundreds and even thousands of dollars on games they'll never play while patting themselves on the back for "saving" so much money and making the countless hours spent monitoring deals and bundles and idling for cards to sell for pennies of "free" money worth it. And having more games than you could ever play while you continue to buy even more makes people focus on minmaxing their gaming time even further; there are entire threads and websites built around forcing people to play games to a certain play time or percentage completion just for the purpose of checking them off of some list, arguments and guides about how many hours you have to sink into a game or game series before it actually gets fun to play, and deep battle trenches dug over exactly what combination of mods and DLC and character builds are the Objectively Superior Gaming Experience. Factor in the increasingly loud, angry, and fragmented culture wars over everything from DLC prices to the hair color of default protagonists and it's just a morass of unhappy people who seem to spend more time arguing about games than actually playing them and for all the time and energy they spend following coverage of new games spend most of their actual gaming time just playing the same map game or roguelite day in and day out year after year.

Trading my gaming PC in for a laptop and a Switch and replacing Games and PYF with Twitter and Discord was one of the best things I've done in years.

On this note, SA made me realize how repugnant "gamers" were so I sold everything and am trying to live in reality and be mentally and physically healthy. But since I live in a place that never stops raining and is 10C/50F until May I have just ended up catching up on decades of tv and movies.

Black Mirror is pretty dope (two episodes in)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

On this note, SA made me realize how repugnant "gamers" were so I sold everything and am trying to live in reality and be mentally and physically healthy. But since I live in a place that never stops raining and is 10C/50F until May I have just ended up catching up on decades of tv and movies.

Black Mirror is pretty dope (two episodes in)

You know you can just... play video games and act like a normal, decent human being?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You know you can just... play video games and act like a normal, decent human being?

what the gently caress

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Breetai posted:

Christmas albums?

About 10 years ago there was a thread encouraging goons to make intentionally bad Christmas music, ranging from obvious parody to vaguely believable schlock to legitimate genius. Ho Ho Ho it's Christmas Time is one of the more infamous, as it sounds just like a real Christmas song that just repeats that verse. Another from the first thread was a remix of Frank Sinatra saying "Christmas" over and over while the instrumentals progress. New threads have spawned every year, each adding a new album complete with cover art.

All albums from 2009 to 2016 can be found and downloaded here as complete albums or individual tracks: http://saxmas.robotcousin.com

Christmas Lobotomy, A Hole in the Ground, Bulletproof Reindeer, I took some Mistletoe Down to the Red Light District and Taco Bell Christmas are some of my favorites, but at this point Something Awful music is pretty much all I listen to during the holidays. My personal favorite from this year was This Postman Can.

So yeah, I'm pretty fundamentally broken because of SA.

Grammarchist has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Jan 3, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

About 10 years ago there was a thread encouraging goons to make intentionally bad Christmas music, ranging from obvious parody to vaguely believable schlock to legitimate genius. Ho Ho Ho it's Christmas Time is one of the more infamous, as it sounds just like a real Christmas song that just repeats that verse. Another from the first thread was a remix of Frank Sinatra saying "Christmas" over and over while the instrumentals progress. New threads have spawned every year, each adding a new album complete with cover art.

All albums from 2009 to 2016 can be found and downloaded here as complete albums or individual tracks: http://saxmas.robotcousin.com

Christmas Lobotomy, A Hole in the Ground, Bulletproof Reindeer, I took some Mistletoe Down to the Red Light District and Taco Bell Christmas are some of my favorites, but at this point Something Awful music is pretty much all I listen to during the holidays. My personal favorite from this year was This Postman Can.

I wish I knew about this about 2 months ago. My wife wanted Christmas music on her phone, and I would have loved to sneak in some of these.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

IUG posted:

I wish I knew about this about 2 months ago. My wife wanted Christmas music on her phone, and I would have loved to sneak in some of these.

I've often slipped tracks like this onto CDs of boring "real" Christmas music for older relatives. Some of them actually loved it and wanted to know where they could find more, which was more than a little awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIyekJXEUTA

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Grammarchist posted:

drat, I wish I had known about this like a month ago so I could have actually enjoyed them before/during Christmas.

Content:

I too am gravitating toward the mentality that SA is an ISP. However, the real reason it has ruined me is now I want to actually participate. So, I'm spending a ton of time trying to stay caught up on threads, as well as trying to speed through 1000s of pages of old threads to get caught up. I'm supposed to be working right now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nah I just don't want to play video games anymore. It does nothing but harm, and it gets more pronounced as you get closer to your 40s. I stopped enjoying them.

Plus I'm moving across the world to somewhere with warmth and actual daylight year round. Last time I lived there (4 years) I never thought about firing up the ol vidya game console.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nah I just don't want to play video games anymore. It does nothing but harm, and it gets more pronounced as you get closer to your 40s. I stopped enjoying them.

Plus I'm moving across the world to somewhere with warmth and actual daylight year round. Last time I lived there (4 years) I never thought about firing up the ol vidya game console.

lmao words of deep wisdom from the 30 something

It's fine if you stopped enjoying THING but that doesn't mean THING is inherently bad or even bad for most people

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I have a herniated disc and sciatic pain

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Bloop posted:

It's fine if you stopped enjoying THING but that doesn't mean THING is inherently bad or even bad for most people

Yeah you're the type I'm talking about

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, I wish I'd known the goon Christmas music was around last month! I've had We Wish You an Adequate Festive Period in my head for almost a decade. "Dracula laughing for no reason" will forever be hilarious idk why.

I recommend playing them with your family. My husband and nephew and I play adventure games and horror games together and it's a blast.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The goon Christmas albums are great and also how I discovered Hot Dad.

The Bloop posted:

Nah gaming is literally a giant engine created to convert free time into a false sense of accomplishment. When you're an idiot child or NEET with no autonomy and endless free time it's as efficient a way of frittering away your free time as anything but lol if you actually have a job and life and hobbies and are putting that poo poo on hold to make numbers on a screen go up.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Guy Mann posted:

Nah gaming is literally a giant engine created to convert free time into a false sense of accomplishment. When you're an idiot child or NEET with no autonomy and endless free time it's as efficient a way of frittering away your free time as anything but lol if you actually have a job and life and hobbies and are putting that poo poo on hold to make numbers on a screen go up.

Is that so?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Paladinus posted:

Is that so?

one imagines he speaks with some authority on the matter

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god what a bunch of joyless chodes policing other people's harmless hobbies

Now tell me about sportsball, crotchspawn, and genre novels

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
And drinking in public like it's somehow better than drinking at your house.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Bloop posted:

Oh my god what a bunch of joyless chodes policing other people's harmless hobbies

Now tell me about sportsball, crotchspawn, and genre novels

to be fair, it would be thematic to the thread to do so

being a goon has definitely made me somewhat more insufferable about certain things

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

And drinking in public like it's somehow better than drinking at your house.

Solve that problem by being homeless. The public is your house. rollsafe.jpg

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

So is capitalism but people still do that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Replace that with "media consumption" and you might be on to something, otherwise you're just whining about drat kids these days (combined with some very Protestant Work Ethic bullshit)

Listening to music, watching movies or TV, and reading novels, all take your free time and don't even have the decency to make numbers on a screen go up

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Just lol at you children if you do anything I don't. It's me I'm the adult.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

If you dont WANT to then go ham, its just your original post sounded like you were educated out of being a gamer

You can, though, decide to play a video game and not be a gamer who hates women and loves mountain dew. You can, also, have a job and just not decide to play video games when you are supposed to be at your job. Same goes for meeting friends. You can even have a date and then go on the date instead of playing video games, but then play video games the next day.

Sounds like some of you goons have issues tho, idk

*posting while having A BOYFRIEND in the same room, alt-tabbed from a video game, after work*

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can even have a date and then go on the date instead of playing video games

:goofy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Telemaze posted:

Just lol at you children if you do anything I don't. It's me I'm the adult.

Goons love to say things are for children, its one of the most annoying widespread things on this site. Its really picked up in the last few years, too.