Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I feel like Scorpia is inevitably gonna switch sides because she's just so friendly she will inevitably befriend someone the Horde persecutes and come to the same realisation Adora did.

Catra will absolutely take this well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sikreci posted:

It would just be an utterly mediocre show if the state of queer representation in media wasn't so dire. But it is, so this is one of my favorite shows of the year.

Eh I feel like that's a bit harsh. The Catra, Shadoweaver and Adora thing is great and would be even if Catra and Adora weren't hyper gay.

I also like Glimmer a lot more than most seem to. She has a good solid arc. It'd still be a pretty good cartoon even if it wasn't gayer than a tree full of monkeys.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I mean, Mermista is basically just Lapis.

Nah if Mermista's a SU character she's Buck Dewey. Mermista is mostly happy and well adjusted under the deadpan.

She isn't the endless tire fire of misery and hatred that we all know and love as Lapis.

What I'm saying is Catra is Malachite.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Libluini posted:

I want to believe you, but I have no idea what either of this means.

Less flippantly New Sincerity is sn artistic movement which is basically rejecting the cynicism of postmodernism and it's successors and continuing from modernism/futurism.

Modernism/futurism themselves being discarded by the artistic community due to how intertwined they got with fascism and postmodernism initially being driven by examining the rotten foundations of it's predecessors that caused them to gel with fascism.

Like most poo poo like this it's hard to summarise but the glib phrase I like is "indulging irony but not cynicism". Which yeah I can see where that would have lead to the brony weirdness.

I got no idea on hopepunk any actual art students care to explain it?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Libluini posted:

Oh, I honestly thought this was about music. My interest just instantly turned to vapor.

What is with stuff like Dadaism? Are there still artists into that? It's been a while since I last was to a modern art museum, and I'm a bit out of the loop.

Oh art in the broad sense. Music is included.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

"well, it started as an au where scorpia has hands instead of crab claws, but then it turned into… what if scorpia was a dragon"

"Does she hoard things like a dragon too?"

"She hoards girlfriends :D"

http://prawnsalad.tumblr.com/post/184247322504/thefingerfuckingfemalefury-terrashards

Man for a second there I thought that was a "what if Scorpia was like a werecat".

Though if Catra could unleash a cat person plague on Eternia between all the people she scratches and hisses at, it would be a pandemic.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Also Frosta is the little sister who doesn't have friends, trying to impress her sister and her friends. Like, it's not hard.

She's also Glimmer as she was start of season 1 so Glimmer can see where her mother was coming from.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

friend of a friend's DJ stand

Catra is was a cop though?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Of course not, Catra is a terrible person and will never learn empathy.

Non zero chance she noted and made a point to avoid Scorpia that day cause she'd be extra needy.

You know.

If Catra wasn't on beast island.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man Catra going maximum vizier owns. I'd say poor Hordak but honestly this might be good for him long run.

The_Doctor posted:

The best spoiler is that we're getting a musical episode :3:

Wonder who the inevitable "conspicuously absent cause their VA cannot sing for poo poo" character is going to be.

Alternately the "VA sings shockingly well considering the voice/persona they usually use for their role" character.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Poor Sprinkles. Thought of the bourgeoisie and died.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Is this show good? Someone pitch it to me. I'm running out of things to binge in our isolated hell-world.

My take on the show is it's fun, it's solid, it's complete and it very obviously had a planned trajectory the whole way through so all the twists and turns land fairly well and feel natural. It's not perfect but it's kind of a textboook example of how to do a serial show and not gently caress it up. On that alone it's a very good if not super ambitious show, then you factor in all the representation stuff which is ambitious and novel for the kind of show it is (or really tv in general) and makes things a bit harder to predict cause a lot of stuff that in most shows you'd go 'well they'd never do that' then they go and do that.

As long as you don't have hangups about cartoons in general, I absolutely recommend it. And I imagine you wouldn't even ask if you did.

oh but seriously I posted:

Disappointed how not hosed up her face was.

I mean, narcissist, so it fits she made a big deal out of not that bad.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 28, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Again I will say that I read Entrapta as asexual. She's probably aromatic as well but I'm not as strongly for that as I am for her being ace. I don't mind gay or poly ships because representation is important, but gently caress stealing my representation for a het ship. Entrapta liked hordak as a lab partner and her concern for him was platonic and helped her grow past seeing people only good for providing her tech. She's very much that meme of "yeah sex is fine, but have you ever put on jammies right out of the dryer?"

The only legit Entrapta ship is my Avatar.

Yeah people who get mad about ships are funny.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My reading was more wondering if they were together before the series and the show was dancing around it cause they weren't allowed to say it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'd like an invite. All the Discords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Heh.

Really good Catra though something seems off with Adora.