Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Made broccoli cheese soup from this recipe tonight, and it came out fantastic. My kid loved it too, which is a plus.

https://pressureluckcooking.com/instant-pot-broccoli-cheese-soup/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh dang that looks good

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

i made some shokupan bread, my usual, except this time i split the dough and mixed one half with some cocoa powder to make a marble bread

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tzen posted:

i made some shokupan bread, my usual, except this time i split the dough and mixed one half with some cocoa powder to make a marble bread

thats a weird looking cat

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i made some fresh bread today to go with a tomato bisque and some roast broccoli while my kids ignore it in favor of cereal and Graham's Crackers.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Bad picture quality because android phone, but I made some simple Zucchini Au Gratin tonight as a side, and it was super tasty :3:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Blaziken386 posted:

Bad picture quality because android phone, but I made some simple Zucchini Au Gratin tonight as a side, and it was super tasty :3:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

So I got the ice cream maker attachment for my stand mixer for christmas, so I whipped up a batch of champagne sorbet for new years.

Didn't really end up tasting like champagne, the recipe had you add grapefruit juice so that kind of overwhelmed everything else, but it was very nice and still very palatable to the non drinkers at the party.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Accepting any and all recipes for quinoa and bulgur if you've got em :grin:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Business Gorillas posted:

Accepting any and all recipes for quinoa and bulgur if you've got em :grin:

In India we traditionally use uncooked cracked wheat and it's called dalia. You can can make it both sweet or savory.

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/dalia-khichdi-recipe-dalia-recipe-baby/

For quinoa I like to make burgers with it.

1 Boiled Sweet Potato
1 Cup Cooked Black Lentils (Most lentils should work, just make sure they hold a shape when cooked)
1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
1 Cup Greens (Spinach, kale, arugula, use whatever you have)
Season it however you want

You can bake them or pan fry them, both come out pretty well

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it got cold. made cookies tonight, bolognese tomorrow and broccoli cheese soup (slow cooker not instant pot) for saturday

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i need to make a veggie lasagna so im trying to figure out how to make the sauce without meat (so it can't be a real bolognese).

im thinking it can just be a chunky pasta sauce with some carrots and onions in it?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah do a mirepoix and make a marinara out of it with tomatoes and veggie broth or something

my bolognese recipe calls for whole milk which adds a ton of great flavor

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i need to make a veggie lasagna so im trying to figure out how to make the sauce without meat (so it can't be a real bolognese).

im thinking it can just be a chunky pasta sauce with some carrots and onions in it?

I usually do veggies + tvp or black lentils.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I’ve blended carrots in or added them as a purée. Add some chunky onions and a 12oz. can of petite diced tomatoes. Oh garlic and basil by the fistful.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

fischtick posted:

I’ve blended carrots in or added them as a purée. Add some chunky onions and a 12oz. can of petite diced tomatoes. Oh garlic and basil by the fistful.

An immersion blender is up there with a pressure cooker for life changing thing, especially if you are big into soups

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i just told my wife I want an immersion blender for my birthday. sick and tired of blending soups in batches the vitamix can handle when I could just do it all in the same drat pot and not dirty still more dishes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i just told my wife I want an immersion blender for my birthday. sick and tired of blending soups in batches the vitamix can handle when I could just do it all in the same drat pot and not dirty still more dishes.

I've got an 8qt slow cooker I use it with most of the time and it's incredible. Fill it up, cook, jam it in, blend, and you've got an incredibly healthy base to work with

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i got an immersion blender a few months ago and it's easily three times bigger than what i was expecting. this thing could be mistaken for a hitachi

my roommate actually borrowed it from me this evening to make a toasted macadamia rum drink with pomegranate merengue. he's too fancy but i'll allow it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

just make a simple plain tomato sauce (or cheat and use a bottle of Rao's, it's loving good) and add veggies in their own layers. I use diced zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, and spinach. like this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/02/perfect-vegetable-lasagna/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

immersion blender is a good tool but if you have the Vitamix just use that. it will be so much smoother.

and if you hate cleaning the Vitamix get a bottle brush to clean it. gg ez.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Protip: some of them have little 2 cup food processor attachments that are amazing for making a single dish's worth of pesto when you don't want to bust out the mortar and pestle or the giant food processor.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

2 cups of pesto seems like a lot for a single meal

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

2 cups of pesto seems like a lot for a single meal

You pack 2 cups of leaves in there and it grinds down to about half of that after you add cheese/oil/nuts.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

fischtick posted:

should I simmer the basil in the sauce the whole time or just add it at the end?

I'm so bad at estimating how much a given spice is gonna gently caress up my sauce.

e: nvm I think I'm gonna put the fresh basil in with the egg/ricotta mixture part of the lasagna.

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Jan 21, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Retromancer posted:

You pack 2 cups of leaves in there and it grinds down to about half of that after you add cheese/oil/nuts.

It was a trick, 2 cups of pesto is absolutely appropriate for a single meal, you fool, you clod, you oafish buffoon

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

It was a trick, 2 cups of pesto is absolutely appropriate for a single meal, you fool, you clod, you oafish buffoon

gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

should I simmer the basil in the sauce the whole time or just add it at the end?

I'm so bad at estimating how much a given spice is gonna gently caress up my sauce.

e: nvm I think I'm gonna put the fresh basil in with the egg/ricotta mixture part of the lasagna.

do that. a few recipes i see have me add spices to the ricotta instead of the sauce, especially nutmeg. i don't get it but it works

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Chop the basil and add it to the ricotta. You got this.

I love my immersion blender. It's not a good fit for making a chunky tomato sauce for lasagna, but I break it out all the time for Modernist Cuisine's Mac & Cheese (with sodium citrate), and for America's Test Kitchen Cream-free Tomato Bisque (you immersion blend a couple pieces of bread or a stale chunk of sourdough into the soup). It breaks into a couple pieces and stores out of the way in a cabinet. A++ would buy again

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we did it everybody.

this is just the assembled pan. still gotta bake this bad boy.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Retromancer posted:

For whatever reason it's been impossible for me to find pine nuts for like 6 months now. I finally got a bag I'm saving for a big pot of mujadara. Every once in a while, I take it out of my cabinet so I can hug and kiss it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

For whatever reason it's been impossible for me to find pine nuts for like 6 months now. I finally got a bag I'm saving for a big pot of mujadara. Every once in a while, I take it out of my cabinet so I can hug and kiss it

Very much enjoyed the time there was a hosed up crop of pine nuts from China being sold that hosed your sense of taste up and for almost a month; everything I ate tasted bitter after having something in it with them one loving time. I was starting to get worried that it was permanent.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Very much enjoyed the time there was a hosed up crop of pine nuts from China being sold that hosed your sense of taste up and for almost a month; everything I ate tasted bitter after having something in it with them one loving time. I was starting to get worried that it was permanent.

seriously, i completely stopped buying pine nuts after getting a batch of these, it was messed up and lasted for several days

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/pine-nut-mouth-syndrome

holy poo poo what the gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i have never heard of that before, what on earth

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
the wonder and also curse of ethnic food is learning of delicious flavors from around the world while also encountering weird genetics that cannot loving them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I learned today you can buy a 5lb bag of fresh pho noodles for less than the cost of a single bowl at a restaurant.
And they freeze incredibly well.

Gonna be good eats in the Svejk household

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I’ll eat anything with pine nuts and make pesto regularly, this one crop completely hosed my sense of taste for nearly a month.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i know its not the accepted Truth, but i almost never use pine nuts in my pestos. walnuts work great for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i got a hankering for mashed potatoes and then I made them with butter and heavy cream and a gravy with a light roux base and added duck veal demi glacé to it.

man that hit the drat spot I tell you the gently caress what.