Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

No bread? No problem, make arepas instead. Three ingredients: masarepa, salt, water. Kneed into a dough and then skinny puck shapes. Fry until crispy and let rest. Then fill with whatever you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Since we only go the store every two weeks tops now I start to run out of fresh produce towards the end. Tonight I am down to root vegetables and frozen tilapia so I made a miso soup with tilapia, potato, carrot, and spring onions.

Having miso paste on hand has saved me so many goddamned thoughtless dinner and lunchtimes. Just throw some carbs and veggies in a broth and go

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

did you just cook the fish in the water or did you sear it first?

I just went with a poach because it's a fish broth. I probably could've hit it with a soy sear or something but I was worried it'd fall apart if did that first

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MAC knives are the best kitchen tool I've gotten for myself. I will never go back to lovely knives.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mediterranean medley plate

lamb kofta, roasted eggplant, horiatiki, homemade tzatziki, hummus (I should learn to make this)

super easy to make (swap the kofta for chicken and it's even easier), tasty, and maybe healthy underneath all the oil and cheese

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It does boil the blood to the point where I must willfully make myself believe this is ignorance and not laziness.
I mean who's the leftist who has never heard of a loving root cellar
how do they think people survived before refrigeration?
We have it so goddamned easy even living in the middle of nowhere you can get fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat
unless you're eating nothing but handfuls of parsley and pre-cut lettuce how the gently caress can you not keep a crisper/freezer stocked full of actual food

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone have any recommendations for fish sauce/colatura di alici?

I'm trying to expand my umami arsenal and if it was good enough for the ancient Greeks/romans I figure it's good enough to start sneaking into my recipes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Voice of Labor posted:

red boat is the fish sauce of choice. we discuss things like this in the gbs sardine thread

That's a very specific thread that I didn't know existed but I am intrigued.

And red boat it is.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i say swears online posted:

really? i found the pre-ground cheap stuff doesn't melt nearly as well as off the block. it's got the same powdery feel as pre-shredded regular cheese does

pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents in it that makes it a bitch to use in sauces

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Made this recipe, fettuccine (instead of spaghetti) con la colatura di alici
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/04/spaghetti-con-la-colatura-di-alici-pasta-with-colatura.html

So loving tasty. Only thing I changed was that I added a few bay scallops.
Highly recommend for a lazy pasta dish. Hardest thing was getting the anchovy sauce

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

ancient rome used the hell out of garum. fish sauce and italian food goes together like fish sauce and most savory food - fuckin' delicious

I feel like we are at the crest of a fish sauce renaissance.
Maybe I am just being optimistic but it sure seems like people are actively seeking umami foods and Asian fusion influences lately so I hope it's the case. If not for the fact that it stinks and is called fish sauce it could be the next old big thing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I made a stir fry tonight with bok choy, carrots, scallions, mushrooms, and pork loin "boneless ribs"
I used the red boat fish sauce pretty liberally along with aromatics, and brown sugar/honey and pearl river dark soy sauce for the pork

the dark soy sauce/pork combo has yet to disappoint me.

I can't believe how many years I wasted trying to reproduce the delicious pantheon of Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese flavors with a just bottle of kikkoman and wondering why the restaurant food always tasted so much better

I can't wait to see what the next obvious in hindsight revelation is going to be for my cooking journey

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Depending on the maker of the colatura it can be concentrated into a dark syrup or more liquid like a fish sauce. Best just to start small and build up, though the recipes I've seen for it also say that despite it being precious, if you are going to use it for a dish then you should go all out and really let it shine so if it's a flavor you enjoy, definitely go for it.

I used about a tablespoon of the Agostino Recca bottle I got in some vodka sauce tonight and it definitely isn't overwhelming it. I probably could've used more.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

i... gently caress... me... gun... i post in both threads

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zedhe Khoja posted:

i like kolaches, but jelly rolls are

i used to take em as payment for dressing gators that local morons killed

the holy gently caress is this

looks like if a fish had a loin roast

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Grind those bastards into powder and put them in anything

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just made no bake cookies.

I never realized how terrible these are for you

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Make sure you get you cholesterol checked before you start cooking with bacon fat on the regular though. It's tasty but don't die

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All things in moderation is all I'm saying. No one wants to end up like the fitness goon who ate all his meals cooked in excess bacon fat because it was "keto" and had a heart attack

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I bought some dried bonito flakes (a bit for me and a bit for my cats) and mixed some in with my stir fry today

western cooking has so much to learn

it's like a free smoky salty flavor you can use like a goddamned condiment

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was planning on making some tortillas for dinner but as it turns out, you can't do that with masarepa so I made arepas instead and now I am eating one with strawberry jam
I don't regret the mistake

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Here's a little something I've learned recently

Put a star anise pod in like all your soups/sauces/stews

just also remember to take it out before you serve it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My in laws gave me like a dozen summer squashes and a head of cabbage.

Should I make a soup? Pickles squash chips? Slaw?

cabbage, sausage, and potato soup is the stuff of heroes

basically this but adjust it to whatever you feel like, I can tell by your other posts you know enough about what you're doin'/what you like
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/cabbage-sausage-potato-soup/

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah crocks are superior in every way.

and you have to sleep eventually we will turn you into a pickle guy

make some giardiniera
or a fermented hot sauce

Wait wait what

tell me how to ferment my own pickles at home
I do quick pickles all the time but I'm worried fermenting stuff will kill me but I guess I shouldn't be so afraid it's like one of the earliest culinary techniques we learned as a species but still
I'm ready to make it happen

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

my bougie brother gifted me a bottle of super nice olive oil and it's the most fragrant olive oil I've ever used.

I used it to toast some chickpeas because I'm a dullard and my house still smells like an Italian restaurant.

I'm not mad.

e: drat it's like $40 online. that's 3-4x what I usually front for a bottle

Buy giant liter tins of terra Creta it's the best

This is my secret brand so none of you ruin this for me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

olive oil always goes bad on me so quickly. i need to just put it in the fridge, or drink it

Definitely get tins and pour out only what you think you'll need into something more convenient. Preferable something made of dark glass.

Also I've been getting into european mustards lately and this seems like the thread to talk about that

those fuckers don't mess around with the heat

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Almighty Ken posted:

i'm here for mustard chat. hit us with some recommendations.

Well I'm not very far along on this journey but I've tried these two so far

If you try to use them like you would an american mustard they will destroy your sinuses

it's really closer to a harsh horseradish or wasabi sensation

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah, maybe I described the sensation improperly
it's not a painful burn like you'd associate with peppery heat
it's very pleasant in small doses and definitely triggers some otherwise underutilized taste receptors
maybe "pungent" is a better word for it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you find a way to get affordable pre-shelled crab you let me know because I've never seen the like of it

I'm guessing just by the price there must not be a good mechanical way to separate them
but anywho if you're making soup you want all the shells and bits for stock flavoring anyhow

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

all I'm saying is you get yourself some crab shells, a couple of onion skins
baby, you got a stock goin'

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pounds of crab meat, good god
are you cooking for a hungry sailing vessel
that cheapest you're getting fresh meat is like $13 in an 8 oz tub and that's if you're buying from wal-mart or the ilk.

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Sep 3, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the shells are where all the vitamins are anyway

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You've got to imagine it's like buying the $4 bronze extruded pasta, an $8 jar of sauce, and... Like I guess if you used ribeye or something, and bought precut veggies and those hella expensive clamshells of fresh herbs.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Not really a "cooking" skill but does anyone else in here gently caress with some maldon's sea salt

I remember the first time I bought it a few years ago being like "$8 for such a small amount of salt what am I a Rockefeller" but I use it loving daily now and would never go back

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I use it as a topping finish for focaccia, but that's it. What else do you use it for?

Goddamned near everything, really - but in the same way. Top some pasta with it, put it on a seared whatever, roasted vegetables, eggs
Granted you do have to modulate the amount of salt you cook with if you're finishing with more salt but I always find I under-utilize kosher salt by itself anyhow - it's hard to get a sense when you're shaking
I keep the maldon's in a salt cellar and it's a much easier to get a sense of the salt/dish ratio that way I think when you're taking a literal pinch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

wait isn't anchovy fish sauce just Roman fish sauce? crap.

If it is put that poo poo in any meat/pasta dish you make
you need both types anyhow

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

speaking of toaster ovens, this beast is on super-sale righ tnow, it's my big kitchen purchase of the year and i can shoehorn it in as a sorta-gift to my roommate

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K0W8LTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a similar breville and it has completely replaced my usual oven unless I need the space. Heats up faster and more evenly

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Doesn't Chick-fil-A brine their chicken in pickle juice? I feel like that's a thing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I attempted this recipe, my first ever breads
https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/286/Hard_Rolls7162.shtml

I wanted more of an italian hard roll sorta thing with really dense texture but these are super crunchy on the outside and fluffy inside. Still good. I'm happy I proved to myself even a slapdash cook can do a bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I learned today you can buy a 5lb bag of fresh pho noodles for less than the cost of a single bowl at a restaurant.
And they freeze incredibly well.

Gonna be good eats in the Svejk household