Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

AttackBacon posted:

I just did my first planetary landing (to what I presume is a spaceport) and it was terrifying. It was on the night-side of the planet, so I was just flying into what effectively looked like a black hole. At first I didn't even realize the station was on the planet and was very confused. Then alarmed when I realized I was supercruising right into a planet. Then confused again when I dropped out and it was going to take 20 minutes to fly there (and a bunch of atmospheric navigation aides popped up on my HUD, furthering my alarm and confusion). So I tapped supercruise again, saw my radar get rapidly filled with a red field and an impact warning show up. Mashed the hell out of supercruise....18 minutes to destination. Gingerly went back into supercruise and nervously speed straight into this black abyss that filled up my entire screen. Then it dropped me out as I got close and after a little bit of adjustment (I wasn't sure if I could even hover in-atmosphere) I managed to land without killing myself or any bystanders. Success!

Time to take advantage of the new night vision mode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The rescue ship near the station sells passenger compartments; all refugees are economy class. Any ship that has 2-size slots can carry a couple of passengers but you'll want like 30 slots if you want to take larger missions.

The Dolphin is explicitly a passenger ship and comes with a size 5 compartment, but for a lower base price the Type-6 transporter can carry more passengers once equipped. The Type 6 can carry 48 economy class passengers if you fit the 2x size 5 and 2x size 4 slots with cabins. You'll want size-3 shields since there are more things to accidentally crash into in the burning station, plus the explosions that knock you around may harm you. You'll also want heatsink launchers in your auxiliary slots so you can keep yourself cool inside the station where it is very hot.

You should be able to buy the Type-6 and equipment for about 2 million credits.

Heat doesn't damage you while you're docked even though your COVAS will keep telling you about heat damage, but you don't cool down and it looks like you gain heat during the docking and undocking procedures so even if you're ice-cold when you hit the pad, you'll be hot again when you take off. So be sure to launch a heatsink as soon as you take off.

edit: Refugee runs don't really have variety to them since you're docking at the same hosed station and taking them to the same rescue ship 5 million meters away, but the whole thing is handled well enough as far as graphics and sound go that it's worth doing a few runs just for the experience. If they get crazier and more dangerous when the proper Thargoid incursions happen it could be really cool.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 14, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Thargoid interceptors and scouts in a furball with local milita, targeting anything coming and going from the station. That’s next week.

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life

pik_d posted:

I can't imagine pad 5 at Robigo Mines is ever free in open

I bounty hunt from platforms since I don't have to worry about a mail slot or traffic. The limited number of M pads is the primary reason I play in solo.

----

Did they fix the reckless fire fine in regards to multicrew with this patch?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I had to do my first delivery to a surface installation. I aimed at the spot on the planet and was zooming in when I got cold feet and dropped out of super cruise. I was still way too far so I jumped again while pointing directly at the planet, thinking "this is how you kill your pilot" but instead closed the distance, dropped out of supercruise again and entered orbital flight, still pointing straight down at the destination.

I got a nasty message about being unable to glide due to my angle and once again got scared and cut the power, but I sort of floated down and down until it was safe to activate the auto lander.

So... mission accomplished, but I'm glad no one was watching. :ninja:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m microwaving some Totinos pizza rolls and about to jump into Erectile Dysfunction: Dangerous. I will be spamming chat and playing with the scanner. Look for me online.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dick Trauma posted:

I had to do my first delivery to a surface installation. I aimed at the spot on the planet and was zooming in when I got cold feet and dropped out of super cruise. I was still way too far so I jumped again while pointing directly at the planet, thinking "this is how you kill your pilot" but instead closed the distance, dropped out of supercruise again and entered orbital flight, still pointing straight down at the destination.

I got a nasty message about being unable to glide due to my angle and once again got scared and cut the power, but I sort of floated down and down until it was safe to activate the auto lander.

So... mission accomplished, but I'm glad no one was watching. :ninja:

So, when you are coming in, keep your nose above the planetary horizon, but below the orbital exclusion zone, feather your throttle until you Time to Impact (TTI) is ~10s. Spiral into the planet until your destination is on the horizon. Nose down 10 degrees when you get into Orbital Supercruise until your destination is at 45deg on the instrument horizon, throttle down to the sweet spot if you are over 75%. Nose down, directly into your destination (it should be at 45-50 degrees down), if you have the throttle in the Sweet Spot (highlighted area of the throttle), cruise-control will bring you down to 2500 when you enter the glide. Once in the glide you can firewall the throttle for when you drop out (or zero it on high-G worlds).
:eng101:

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

I was doing this last night and drat they absolutely nailed the sound effects when you explode an asteroid.

This is the only space game where I've actually enjoyed mining.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Friendly Fire posted:

I was doing this last night and drat they absolutely nailed the sound effects when you explode an asteroid.

This is the only space game where I've actually enjoyed mining.

Reminds me of the cinematic opening to I-War 2. :allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So as part of my rush back home, I made 155 jumps covering 8.3k LY.

Still picked up 42.7m in scan vouchers.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

BattleMaster posted:

Good info about refugee runs

I basically did your post to the word and holy crap is that station ever jacked up. :stonklol:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Mining is nuts right now. In Delkian or whatever it’s called 20ly from Shinrarta Dezhra the pristine metallic ring just shits out the high grade minerals and 30 tons of them are 6 mil. I made some mad bank after cracking maybe 5 asteroids?

Only complaints are a) the hard points on most ships don’t fare so well with these mining missiles. I’ve gotten used to this though.

B) so great the npcs in rings now include engineered chieftains. I relogged back into the ring tonight. Immediately scanned and targeted by two chieftains (I’m in a type-10 heavy, thankfully with 4000hp of armor). My fighter and turreted beams whittle them down and destroy them but not before they knock out my engines with missiles. I was drifting like a lame pig for literally minutes while the fight went on before I could safely reboot and reset my thrusters.

It owned. But holy poo poo it was scary with all the stuff in my hold.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I was lucky enough to crack an asteroid that was full of Serendibite which is worth about 250k per ton.

Haven't repeated that find yet but I've only just started playing around with mining.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I'm on syanfeu, however you spell it. At the guardian ruins. FD gifted me the black mamba skin for being a KS backer. However, I can't be arsed to jump all the way back to Shinrarta.

I don't have any guardian tech researched, but I have been collecting guardian loot from the drones. Anybody got a guide to this?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

no_recall posted:

I'm on syanfeu, however you spell it. At the guardian ruins. FD gifted me the black mamba skin for being a KS backer. However, I can't be arsed to jump all the way back to Shinrarta.

I don't have any guardian tech researched, but I have been collecting guardian loot from the drones. Anybody got a guide to this?

It's in the OP! :woop:
https://ruins.canonn.tech/

Just type in the system name and it will show you the ruin map and which things to scan. You can also find the other sites/scans you will need for various unlocks!

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Holy crap searching for raw materials is so much better now. You can just go to the geological POIs and harvest to your heart's content.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is there a reccomended keybinding setup for the new scanner?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

no_recall posted:

Active Guardian Ruins have an Ancient Data Terminal at the main structure. This Terminal contains a blueprint fragment needed for unlocking Guardian tech - regular guardian ruins drop Guardian Weapon and Module bloop fragments, large guardian ruins have Guardian Spaceship bloop fragments.

Each ruin has a number of energy pylons hidden around the environment - two near the Terminal, four scattered around the main structure. Dormant they appear like a little square plate with a notch in the ground; approach it and the pylon will activate and lift out of the ground. Sometimes this will activate hidden Sentinel drones so keep your eyes open.

Once a pylon is activated, you can shoot the exposed energy core to charge the pylon. This activates a reset timer - you have to charge all six pylons within the time limit or the system will reset and you have to start over again. The timer starts when you shoot the pylon for the first time, but it takes some sustained fire to actually charge it - make sure it actually tells you it's charged!

Once all six pylons are activated, the Data Terminal activates. Next to the Terminal, there's a glowing panel on the ground - drive over it and jettison an Ancient Relic from your SRV cargo (or an Ancient Key for large ruins). The Terminal will eat it and open, exposing the data core. Scan it for your blueprint fragment.

Ancient Relics can be found in the ruins on top of a tall destructible pillar -shoot the glowing end to pop the Relic. Ancient Keys are found at Guardian Beacons.

Edit - you probably want to snoop through the ruins first and raise all six pylons before charging any of them, that'll make it easier to find them all.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's funny that this game came out five years ago because it feels like it just left early access and got ~actually~ released this week! :peanut:

PS: you can get the base game + horizons + some skin packs on steam for $14.39 right now: an absolutely insane value for the content when mofos are paying $50 for X4 and $10,000 for Star Citizen!! :monocle:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
this game is good

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So is this game worth playing now after this update?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
exploration is good now

speaking of which, dont forget you can engineer the surface scanner so that the probes make bigger splashes

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Stevefin posted:

So is this game worth playing now after this update?

it's still the same game but
- exploration is significantly better
- apparently mining is better too?
- squadrons+bgs revamp means you can actually achieve stuff with people you play with
- there are shiny shiny new ships that offer very little new things compared to older ships
- graphics something something

obviously it all depends on when you last played the game

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I am having a blast so far. My first real day of play has taken me from my humble little Sidewinder through various iterations of the Eagle and now I've got an A/B kitted out Adder and am currently supercruising to Hutton Orbital (straight up an IRL hour huh, drat) while catching up on my reading and watching NBA highlights. Space Truck Simulator is everything I could have hoped for.

When is a good time to give mining a go? It seems like something I'd like to try out. Should I wait until I can afford the first real freighter (Type 6 I think?) or is it still worth it with a smaller cargo bay?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Don't go to Hutton Orbital, it's a Voight Kampff test.

At the very least, don't go twice.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Finally got Horizons to redeem and drat is the Krait MkII a wonderful little ship. Sounds and flies like a dream, while looking loving great on the inside. I love my lovely, wires hanging out ship.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

I am having a blast so far. My first real day of play has taken me from my humble little Sidewinder through various iterations of the Eagle and now I've got an A/B kitted out Adder and am currently supercruising to Hutton Orbital (straight up an IRL hour huh, drat) while catching up on my reading and watching NBA highlights. Space Truck Simulator is everything I could have hoped for.

When is a good time to give mining a go? It seems like something I'd like to try out. Should I wait until I can afford the first real freighter (Type 6 I think?) or is it still worth it with a smaller cargo bay?

I'd say the T6 is the smallest ship you really want to try mining with. If you want to use all the new mining tools (mining laser, abrasion blaster, displacer missiles, seismic torpedoes) you should go for the Keelback or Asp Explorer - the T6 only has two hardpoints.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i last played before horizons, i think i stopped just after they released all those faction people like space reagan and evil dredlock man, whats the coolest new stuff thats changed? would i be better off starting fresh or should I stick with my old guy? I think i had a vulture (i briefly had a python but i didnt like it despite having saved 100 years for it) and some other small-mid ships.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright. Pulled the trigger, left the game downloading before coming to the office. Expect annoying questions soon-ish.

Wonder if my old usb Sidewinder joystick will work with this...

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

I'd say the T6 is the smallest ship you really want to try mining with. If you want to use all the new mining tools (mining laser, abrasion blaster, displacer missiles, seismic torpedoes) you should go for the Keelback or Asp Explorer - the T6 only has two hardpoints.

Cobra Mk 3 is what I've been using as a newbie. Fly around looking for asteroids that have fissures as they have the expensive minerals. I cracked one an hour ago that had 14 tons of Serendibite which sold for 3.5 mill.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i last played before horizons, i think i stopped just after they released all those faction people like space reagan and evil dredlock man, whats the coolest new stuff thats changed? would i be better off starting fresh or should I stick with my old guy? I think i had a vulture (i briefly had a python but i didnt like it despite having saved 100 years for it) and some other small-mid ships.

Use your old save unless you want to do the noob journeys again.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Found my first ever geological site last night. Didn't realize the planet was high g and crashed into it and died, losing a few thousand ly worth of scanned data. First time this has happened and now I know how you all feel.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Found my first ever geological site last night. Didn't realize the planet was high g and crashed into it and died, losing a few thousand ly worth of scanned data. First time this has happened and now I know how you all feel.

Condolences from one who also knows.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Montalvo posted:

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Condolences from one who also knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WH8mHJnhM

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

the new exploration poo poo is really good. i quickly found some geysers and was able to farm a bunch of materials from them. Also I got over 9 million credits for mapping a smallish system with some terraformable metallics. i didnt even discover them :eyepop:

the lighting and new voice acting stuff is cool too

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I didn't know high gravity landable planets were a thing. The first time I tried to land at a base for a courier mission I slammed right into the ground and thought I had hosed up. But every other time I have tried landing I'm not actually sure how it could possibly have happened. So maybe that first planet was a high gravity one?

a mysterious cloak posted:

I basically did your post to the word and holy crap is that station ever jacked up. :stonklol:

Glad to help. Hopefully you didn't get too banged up on your first try!

Also, it's funny how many of the refugee contracts bitch at me for taking too long before I'm even out of the burning station's interior.

Guys the rescue ship is 5 seconds of supercruise away what more do you want from me.

I've nearly made back the cost of buying and outfitting this Type-7 just from refugee ferrying and I haven't sold my old Type-6 yet so that's nice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I forgot if my Python is outfitted for passenger missions, but I should see if I could pick up those lovely items for Qwent or whoever

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I decided to try some planet scanning and one of the first said that optimal scanning would use up 22 probes! That place was gigantic and eventually I gave up and moved on to smaller ones.

When people are talking about finding and farming planetary resources what does that mean?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to try some planet scanning and one of the first said that optimal scanning would use up 22 probes! That place was gigantic and eventually I gave up and moved on to smaller ones.

When people are talking about finding and farming planetary resources what does that mean?

Raw materials like iron, cadmium, etc. that can only be gathered by landing on a planet, deploying an SRV, shooting nodes that you find, and scooping them up.

Landing at the geological point of interests you can find fully mapping a planet are far more effective than the pre-patch method of landing somewhere and using the scanner to find resources. One POI with a high number will give you far more resources per minute than driving around watching the scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Montalvo posted:

Looks at gravity.
Two choices.

1. Never ever ever ever ever touch down-thrusters. Did I say ever?
or
2. Nope out of there.

My condolences, Goonsplorer.