Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

M_Sinistrari posted:

I saw that version of Dr. Moreau at the show and wasn't sure what to make of it. Sitting through that documentary explained a hell of a lot.

The really interesting thing about Lost Soul was seeing that Stanley’s version had a good shot at being just as much of a train wreck as what ended up getting released, but at least it would have been an interesting train wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Origami Dali posted:

From what I remember, Stanley was fired before Brando even made it to set. Most of his experience was bad circumstance, like Brando being delayed by a death in the family and a hurricane submerging the set. His awful experience with an actor was with Kilmer, who was apparently worse than Brando. Once Frankenheimer took over is when the shoot really got underway and became the Kilmer and Brando shitshow. I remember there being a quote from Frankenheimer about Kilmer like "I wouldn't put that prick in my movie if it were called 'The Val Kilmer Story'".

Kilmer was in the middle of a very nasty divorce at the time and was taking it out on everyone, and his career never really recovered.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

ruddiger posted:

He'll forever have my respect for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU

John Wayne threatened to beat her up after she went backstage, and there were audible boos during her speech. Brando's disdain for these hypocritical vampires makes all the sense in the world.

And then it came out that she was an actress without a drop of native blood. Brando was said to have been furious that he got conned.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

... that doesn't seem to be right? Unless wikipedia is straight-up lying to me.

My understanding is that her father was Apache, and although she was raised Catholic by her white grandparents on her mother's side, she still faced racial discrimination on the basis of her Indian heritage and was engaged in activism on behalf of native Americans before and after the Oscar speech. But that just suggests "complicated upbringing due to mixed heritage" not "she's a fraud."

Here's an article that goes into a bit more depth:

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/archive/a-recent-tv-slur-revives-debate-about-sacheen-littlefeather-f_wup4setkiFuOU5vPPisw/

Maybe more accurate info came out since the article I read in the 90s, but what I had read was that she had no native status and the organization she claimed to represent was a sham.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds like a typical smear.

It was in an article in Penthouse, so that’s not impossible. They did have that Goldman scumbag who wrote Wired writing for them, so their standards were obviously more calibrated to selling magazines than 100% accuracy. The organization with not actually existing, or the woman not really being associated with it was reported by 60 minutes in a piece on Brando’s decline in the early 90s as well, though.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Eignarom posted:

I'm caught up on this version of the thread now, but was way behind on the old one. Did you guys talk about the Carpenter Brut album Leather Teeth's music videos at all? The whole album is up on Youtube now and it's all pretty awesome, but my favourite is definitely Monday Hunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy1zbbosiTQ
It's basically a supercut of 80s slashers highlights. I caught them live last year and when this song/video came on I started shrieking to my friend about all the movies I recognized in it but he was definitely not as excited as I was. What are some other good horror inspired music videos aside from the obvious Thriller?

There were a few Dio videos that had some horror touches, like Last in Line.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

FreudianSlippers posted:

What organization was this?

AIM seems like it'd be the best fit and they exist.

It is in the blockquote Ruddiger posted upthread.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Hollismason posted:

Just a reminder that Brando conspired to sexually assault a actress with the director of Last Tango in Paris and did in fact assault her.

Before everyone trips over trying to say how cool he was.

Brando and Jodorowsky both raped actresses on film in the name of art.

Disgusting degenerate shitbags.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There's solid odds Jodorowsky was either entirely full of poo poo or deliberately misrepresenting the situation, FWIW.

He talked about it in the last few years, and he’s been more honest about a lot of things. Basically, the rape scene in El Topo, he decided the reaction would be more genuine if he really raped the actress.

The actress corroborates the story.

He says he wouldn’t do it that way now, for what little that is worth.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

TheBizzness posted:

Christine could use 3-5 extra minutes of Arnie becoming who he becomes because it happens kind of suddenly but otherwise a very good movie.

I think that would have been hard to do without incorporating some of the goofy stuff from the book that Carpenter wisely jettisoned.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Fart City posted:

Eh, there’s maybe some psychosexual subtext, but no. The book is actually one of the funniest things King has ever written tho, and not in an ironic way. It’s legit comedic.

I agree. The book was great, and intentionally goofy in awesome ways.

The goofy stuff would not have worked in a movie, though, so Carpenter made it less goofy and made one of his best films.

In an interview I read a long time ago, King said that he felt it was, at that time, the best job anyone had done of adapting one of his books and admitted that what made it work was Carpenter knowing his medium and keeping what worked and cutting what wouldn’t.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Jedit posted:

The video he shot for the 2018 version of the main theme shows exactly how much he didn't lose it, too. We're still only two things away from one last amazing Carpenter movie - him developing the urge to get off his rear end and make it, and the script good enough to give it to him.

You’re missing a third, key component.

Financing.

He has said he stopped making movies because it got too hard to get the backing to do so, which is a sad loving state of affairs.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel like that's more of an Amazon move, but yes, seconded. I'm all about Amazon becoming the go-to destination for schlock, horror, and schlock horror outside of Shudder.

I’d kill for him to get the chance to actually take Body Bags to series like they tried in the early 90s. Carpenter running an anthology show would be so good.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Tolkien minority posted:

the weird thing with carpenter is a lot of his best movies were financial flops, big trouble in little china, the thing, they live. Like I guess now everyone realizes what a master he is but that was not the case for most of his career

The sad fate of many true geniuses in the arts.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell yeah! At age 13, that was the moment I became obsessed with an apocalypse.

I then read an 80's version of it that I got at the thrift store, so I honestly have no idea what's in the complete and uncut edition.

Read the uncut. Aside from some clunky little attempts to update the odd thing that end up kind of funny, it’s amazing. The original edition is literally less than half of the book.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

M_Sinistrari posted:

Mostly some addition of some parts which clarify others better that I can recall.

The chapter of people who survived the outbreak dying in stupid ways is amazing, and that was totally cut from the original edition. And The Kid was cut to the point of being totally superfluous.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Jedit posted:

I could have done without a three year old child dying of thirst because they survived but their parents died, thanks.

Sure, pic the one tragedy out of the whole chapter of people doing dumb stuff and collecting dumb prizes. Killjoy.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

ruddiger posted:

Cage for Trashcan man.

That would be perfect!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Gejimayu posted:

I had a weird thing going on with The Stand. I struggled with reading in high school, just do to lack of attention, but I tore through Stephen Kings shoet story collections. For some reason, if I knew it was just a bunch of 20-80 page stories i could read 1000 pages of it quickly. My mom got me into SK as she was a huge fan and eventually I read quite a few of his novels, and the entirety of The Dark Tower. This whole time i told myself i eoulf read The Stand, but only if it came to me. I checked used book stores waiting, but it didn't. Last year I moved back in with my family and decided to read my moms cut version of the stand. It was lame. I finished it, but it felt like a born again Christian novel. The greasy writer kid was obviously based on a young king, and the morality of it all was stupid. Very disappointed. Would recommend probably 10 Stephen King books before it.

The original edition you read is so scared-down and defanged that you honestly haven’t read The Stand.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Iron Crowned posted:

He should have some kind of monument

Name a sewage outflow in his honour.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Liberal Idiot posted:

I watched The Lift on Shudder last night, which is the story of how an elevator repairman's dedication to his job ends up destroying his marriage. There's a subplot about an elevator with a brain made of oozing microchips that wants to kill Dutch people.

So, the elevator was the hero of the film?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Practical effects aren't going to make a mediocre movie any better. Like it's completely perpendicular to the issue.

The funny thing with practical and digital effects is that they can’t make a movie better when done well, but either one done badly will ruin an otherwise good film.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I legit think this is a workable idea if you focus on the angle of people suffering for internet fame and Cenobites feeding off of that. Like, this is something that could be done Barker style and jive with the first two fine, instead of being a lovely DTV Sequel Idea.

*jibe

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
I win this birth date movie thing. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre came out October 1, 1974. I was born about a week later.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Drunkboxer posted:

It’s not a scarecrow movie, I was being stupid. You should watch it, but the third act drags like a mother.

e: It’s also not horror.

Sean Connery in a diaper and black patent thigh-high boots kinda says otherwise.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Tolkien minority posted:

I went into Zardoz not expecting anything but it actually completely owns

I want to turn the announcements from the flying head that Connery stows away in as a ringtone on my phone.

Imagine having your phone boom out “THE PENIS IS EVIL!” whenever a text comes in!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Untrustable posted:

There was only one Saw movie. If you just believe that hard enough it's one of the best horror movies of all time.

Considering that the writer of the first movie had drafted a trilogy, but due to a falling out with the producers, he walked before even handing over the treatments, it’s not entirely unreasonable to say that there is one real Saw and a bunch of high-budget fanmade sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
The word “problematic” is a sign that the speaker should not be taken seriously.