Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Turned in my company badge and laptop today. Feels real good to not go back to that place.

Poll: What's worse

1) Meeting with the Upselling Guy at the Car Dealership after you've already agreed to buy the damned thing
2) I've handed my notice, now you're going to make me meet with my boss, my boss's boss, HR, then do an exit interview, and either make a PR show of "WERE SO SAD YOURE LEAVING" in front of the entire company, or make a quick exit out the back door.

(grats, been there, I hope it feels amazing and liberating)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

Does anyone remember Old Country Buffet? Do those still exist?

Yeah we've got a couple in town.

You want a people watching experience around here, make a bee line for the Shady Maple Smorgasbord.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

YALL THRONES APRIL 14

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Fallom posted:

I haven’t really been able to find good Mexican in Denver. Everybody acts like hole-in-the-wall joints are supposed to all be amazing but my experience hasn’t been great.

Tamayo was okay for a trendy spot. I went to Santiagos at the corner of 6th and Santa Fe which was infinitely better.

Highlights of the week were the Hot Toddy I had at Denver Biscuit Company whilst sick and the brunch at Snooze who hooked me up because it was my birthday. I spent so much damned money on food that week.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Monitor Chat aside: Windows 10 adoption of Remote Desktop Dual Monitors is AMAZING for working from home.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

For a number of years I wanted to open a very small sandwich shop that only did breakfast and lunch when I retired. Small like, three tables for people to sit while waiting and a counter. Do breakfast sandwiches from like, 7-10, lunch from 10-2 and then close. I told this to a guy at a project workshop at work and it turns out he did a bunch of financial planning / accounting for small businesses like that and he told me all about the hidden costs nobody expects or how much capital you actually need to invest etc. It was more than enough for me to go 'eh....gently caress it'

I worked in downtown Harrisburg, PA last year and there are two such places like you mention (well I think both places have 7 tables, but still). Both are only open for lunch. Both are within a 5 minute walk of the Capitol building. The one is a burger/cheesesteak place that is locally beloved, and the other is a deli place that typically have 6 staff for lunch, but does catering to the Capitol building. I miss being able to walk to both places dearly. But both struck my as very clearly understanding the goalposts they had to hit to remain viable.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

It's probably just gonna be a superbowl ad for budweiser

Late on this but this is probably whoever did the Ferris Bueller thing last year is responsible for this.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

Last year? There was a honda ad in 2012, but nothing since

I apologize. I have had....several....long years and sometimes transpose some things in the timeline.

So yes, I was referencing the 2012 Honda ad.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but Ive now watched Gravity several times at this point, and even though I know exactly what's going to happen, my rear end in a top hat puckers for basically the remainder of the movie the first time Ed Harris goes from witty banter to Serious Mission Control Voice at the begining of the movie.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Old school Quattro laughs at your snow jammed tires.

The issue with Washington is they spend all of their capital on the passes (rightfully so).

Fun part of that is its basically Funland if you've got 4WD/AWD for 3 or 4 days after the snowstorm. Also how I know if you have an Impreza, 4" on the road is your limit mate.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Y'all landowners that can keep two sets of tires go nuts, I'll be happy over here with my All-Seasons thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

I don't care about the market descriptions of the tires, I know the practical limitations of the tires I have via practice. I also know via practice they work better than summer tires in the snow, and I know that they have lower rolling resistance than snow tires.

Its not about one being superior to the other, I'm just not swapping out tires twice a year and am looking for a happy medium.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you don't have a garage to keep a separate set of tires, that's fine, and I don't know where you live, so you might be perfectly fine with all-season tires, but if you live somewhere where you probably should have winter tires, you're buying convenience for something you do twice per year at the cost of safety for an entire season, with pretty much zero financial benefit considering wear and viable life of the tires.

You're fine to do whatever you like, but my argument isn't about what you should do, it's about there being a dangerous half-truth about the discussion that is unfortunately common knowledge in the US.

Oh by all means, I live in the mid-atlantic and can get away with such things and was definitely just speaking for myself. You're right though. Common knowledge in the US is pretty stupid in general.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

psydude posted:

Not sure where you live in the Mid-Atlantic, but where I live in MD gets pretty damned cold at certain points of the winter. I'll concede that having a house definitely makes storing a spare set of wheels way easier, though.

I live in Harrisburg, it snows like 5 times a year and everything closes anyways. With all-seasons and a Subaru I don't even have to flinch if its less than 4" and the plows haven't been out.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm looking at my neighborhood now, should be alright today, but I peeped the hi-res models for tomorrow and ima thinkin I'm gonna sit that one out.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

*looks outside* Yup, definitely happy I told my boss I was chucking deuces for today. And that's before the plug of freezing rain that's about to roll through.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

I hope more people leave work early so that I don't have to sit on traffic. I just wanna brrrrt all the way home in my li'l Subaru. :3:

Isn't it just the best? :hfive:

e: It's like an on-demand controllable toboggan.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Thwomp posted:

While the northbound side is complete hosed, we super-swear the soundbound side is a-ok!

What? No, pay no attention to the supports on the southbound side.

Looked at the pictures, might be an isolated corrosion problem. They will undoubtedly do a full inspection of the entire structure before reopening it to traffic. Every structure in the state that has that same bearing detail will likely be inspected within a couple of weeks.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Brute Squad posted:

On an unrelated note, drove past a smoking car on the side of the road with 4 firefighters prying off the hood. Then I saw the flames coming out of the tire wells.

:piss:

I was inspecting a bridge like three years ago and watched a Ford Ranger pull up and go from "a little smoke coming out the hood" to "burnt to the axle". It was fascinating.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ex finally (mostly) moved out yesterday. Decided to call my mom about 2 hours later, only to find out that my grandma is about to punch out it sounds like.

Thinking I might take the day off. Also got six inches of snow last night and really don't want to brush off my car.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I think all of the Marvel movies rank a solid 6-8 on the "A-Team Scale of Rewatchibility" with "He's trying to fly the tank" as a 10 and Schindler's List as a 0.

My opinion on which one I like the most depends on my mood honestly. I probably like Thor 2 least I guess.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

It was on medical and trauma social media pages

Who on Earth would want to have unimaginable body trauma injected into their eyeballs over coffee?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Any recomendations for chest freezers?

Costco. 130 out the door.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

don't stick your quill in company ink my friends

Never ever ever.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In other news,

Burn them to ash.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sarah posted:

We moved. It’s so weird to just have all this space.

Congrats! :toot:

I gotta move myself in about a month and a half. Hopefully new place won't suck (To be determined!)

This post is like every Top Gear stereotype of Germans, condensed. Sounds you've got all of your bases covered. Hopefully you don't have to bring down the wrath of God onto this woman.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 5, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Watch out El Mags I’m gunnin for top dad title

Can we get a Weber Bros gang tag (I've got a very poorly utilized Genesis that will be getting much more utilized shortly)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Made a John Wick 3 Spoiler Thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889876

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

Watch, you’re going to be getting orders for the mothball fleet for ‘maintenance’ aka scraping and painting.

If you haven't been there (Carrier row in Bremerton) place would be appointment viewing for that Ghost Hunters show.

We were scavenging parts for some CIWS magazine sprinkler valves. I don't believe in that stuff but those ships were creepy as gently caress.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 25, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Just the Kittyhawk left and they took off her name off the stern.

Wait what? When the hell did they do that?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I meant more the removal of the entire row. Kitty Hawk had just been decommissioned when I was there (2009?). Ranger, Independence, and Constellation were all docked as well.

Wikipedia tells me that they all got towed to Texas in 2015.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

colachute posted:

Is Keanu Reeves the most recent meme because of e3?

I’m cool with it, it just kinda came out of nowhere so I’m guessing e3.

Keanu Reeves is cool.

Be more like Keanu Reeves.

He was in a movie called "Always Be My Maybe" being his typical Keanu-self as well.

In other Non Gender Specific Adult chat: gently caress. Moving.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I mean he played a tremendous pompous douche bag version of himself in a hilarious way, which is by all accounts the opposite of how he really is.

Oh I haven't seen it, I just assumed that he was being charming Keanu and not a caricature of the opposite of himself. I just saw a lot on the medias about it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

EBB posted:

High five man. I just did it, and it blows every time.

I just keep telling myself "def gonna pay someone to do it next time" yet here I am carrying loving couches up staircases.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

So much honking

I'm drinking Jamesons

WE HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM

MY DICK FROM THE BACK POLITELY

Congrats!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

While we’re speaking about Olyphant, was the Deadwood movie good?

I thought the ending was meh and some of the dialog was forced but it was a good watch.

Also: Even with Ms. Tessa Thompson and Hemsworth, my advertising to performance ratio is leading me to indicate MiB redux is going to suck. I am fearful for this.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hey McNally, can you do the needful for your first time and post the 96 hour libbo thread

E: To add to Suby chat, I'll have had Ruby the red Impreza for 10 years in 4 days. I think 103k miles (haven't looked recently, she hit 100 this year)

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 4, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had hip surgery almost 11 months ago. Last week I ran around the block to see if I could. Sunday I ran just under a half mile. This morning I plotted a mile run (slightly over) near my place. Up and down a handful of hills ran a 9:45. Feels good.

No poo poo!? Congrats!!!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I think my plan is go in, grab photos and sentimental stuff and then hire someone to come in and cleanout the rest.

That sounds very reasonable. I'm sorry for your loss.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

i'm now 12 hours into this certification exam and i hate myself and want to die

i am about halfway done and still have two equally long case studies to do

i have until the 22nd

my reckless pursuit of figgies will be the end of me

I'll trade you for my PE exam in October (hopefully, waiting to get approval from the board, should be this week)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'll be your hucklejerky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

I just left for Neah Bay, WA to invade Canada and steal their strategic salmon stockpiles. The road from port Angeles is amazing. The mountain lakes are so pretty.

I did that drive (not all the way to Neah Bay) around the peninsula about a month after I bought my Subaru. I stayed in Port Angeles overnight and the weather was like 75/sunny both days. Hope to do it again one day.