Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Halcyon City, once a place with hope for the future - now a place ruled by Sebastian Ibañez. In the beginning, Halcyon City has its trouble with crime much like any other city. The various gangs and organizations and ruthless individuals seized what they could but were always competing with each other.

Then came the Spider. An enforcer for Las Plages, Sebastian took it over in as bloodless a coup as possible. He wanted as many useful people working for him as possible. He overthrew Max Chicote and began to spread the Web far and wide. He crushed those who formerly opposed him and took what he wanted from what was left. Soon Halcyon City was under the influence of the Spiderweb.

Spider is the number one crime boss, but he isn’t completely comfortable on top. Various rivals plot to take him down, either to replace him, for revenge, or even as a way to make the city a better place.

Bryce Brilliant, an incredibly talented man who lived up to his name, was formerly a scientist working at Rook Industries until he discovered something that let him shake everything up. Before, when he was younger, he tried to fight against the Spiderweb. He failed like so many before him and gave up. But recently he began to try again and this time he was much stronger, much more capable. When Bryce became too much of a danger, Spider sent a large group of his best men after him. The result left his home a wreck and Bryce dead. It seemed the Spiderweb had yet again stomped out any hope of being able to fight against it.

But shortly afterward the information on Bryce’s new invention, Titan Elixir, was sent out. Seems he set up a way for it to get out to certain people if something happened to him. Supposedly it could grant powers to those who took it.

He was right.

So far the results haven’t been seen or reported on widely. There’s been unconfirmed sightings of people who can lift cars, rumors of monsters skulking about the city, a bullet seeming to hit someone who was completely unharmed. But they are out there - people with powers. The Elixir doesn’t work on everyone, and the ones it does work on have widely different results.

You are one of them. You are a young adult, and this life has left its marks on you and everyone you care about. Somehow you got ahold of some Titan Elixir and have been one of the lucky ones to get something out of it. Or maybe it didn’t work but you’re not going to let that stop you from finally stepping up to do something about the crime in Halcyon.

Now that you have something balancing the scales, what will you do with it? Can you make Halcyon City a better place? Without the Spiderweb, maybe without the rest of the crime lords? What will you do to make it so? What can you put in its place? How will you balance being a vigilante and having a normal life?

I suppose we’ll find out.

-----------------------------------

This is a game of Masks using The Spiderweb Playset in the Masks Unbound supplement. This is given more detail in the book, but I’ll post the relevant bits here and welcome anyone who wants to talk about it in more over in the Discord channel - the playset changes quite a few things about the game and putting it all here is a bit much.

For character creation rules, the following playbooks that have been removed:

Doomed
Nova
Legacy
Outsider

The rest of the core playbooks are allowed, along with Reformed and Scion from the Limited Edition playbooks.

For advice on how the playbooks work in the Spiderweb, and the details of Koreatown, take a look at this google doc. When you answer your playbook questions, feel free to have the people and places given be part of that answer.

For the rest of character creation:

Stick to the powers listed in your playbook and answer the questions listed, keeping in mind the lower-powered and street-level tone of the game. There’s an additional question to answer:

“Who or what has the Spiderweb taken from you?”

I’ll ask three additional questions of your character, and once the deadline has passed and all questions are answered I’ll pick 4 characters. You’ll go into setting up backgrounds and histories with the other PCs, then once that’s done I’ll make another thread for the game.

Deadline for this game will be one week from now - January 11th. However, if you need more time just let me know and I’ll be likely to be extend it if you at least have a character sheet up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Theme Song

• Who is your supervillain parent?

Well, my last name is Ibañez, so... I'll let you take a wild guess. I mean, sure, there are more than a few Ibañez families scattered around Halcyon and, to my knowledge, none of the others are related to him. I guess that makes me the 'lucky' one. Not like I've ever really known him. He had his fling with my mom ages ago, way before the Web took hold of the city. All I really remember was seeing this guy show up on occasion, like when I went to my first MMA tournament or did that big dance thing in kindergarten. He looked a little sad, maybe, but maybe I'm just projecting what I wanted out of our deal. It's not easy growing up a latchkey kid, your mom taking double overtime at the local ER to make ends meet, but we did it. Me and her. No thanks to him.

• Who told you about your parent’s true nature?

Honestly? The first I started to cotton on was when our old house blew up. Mom was out working, of course, but I'd gotten home early because someone called a bomb threat in at school. Not super regular, but not unusual either. I opened up the door, saw something like HELLDRAKES KNOW spraypainted on the far wall, and then things get fuzzy. When I come to, I'm in traction at the ER. Mom's crying, arguing with that guy, saying something about, "This is your daughter, Sebastian! They tried to kill her because of you!" I'm in way too much pain to even say anything, honestly it was probably a minor miracle that I even made it to the hospital. Burns and shrapnel and more.

Anyways, they argue a bit longer, then this Sebastian guy hooks up a vial to the IV. I start fading at that point, but the last thing I hear is something like, "This is all I can do for her, Maria. It's in God's hands now." I'm out for a while, a long while, but when I wake up again... I'm whole. Better than whole. I'd kinda hosed up my knee last summer, enough to get twinges if I landed wrong, but that was gone. So was the scar from when I fell and cut myself on glass as a kid. Burn on my hand? Gone.

I tried to get an idea of what happened from mom, but she didn't make a lot of sense at the time. Just this line about how my dad was really important and people had tried to get us to get at him. I don't think they'll be doing that again, bee-tee-dubs. What happened to those enforcers... god, enough to give you nightmares. The Spider made a statement. And, yeah, that's when I knew for sure.

• Why did you turn from your lineage to become a hero?

Anyways, a few days later, I'm checked out of the hospital and back home — the apartment was already fixed up somehow. Probably his work. It's... odd, really, feeling more than human all of a sudden. My senses got tuned way up, like someone cranked the saturation on everything, and you probably already guessed that I heal really drat quick. I mean, poo poo, I don't want to get shot ever, but I don't think it'd kill me. It'd hurt like a bitch the entire time and I probably wouldn't be worth much til it worked itself out, but it beats dying. And then there's the costume, but I'll get to it in a bit.

It was that time of month when the goon squad came by for the usual protection payments. Ms. Kim, the little old lady on the third floor, didn't have it. Government check was running late or something, it happens from time to time. They started dragging her out, trying to rough her up to see what they could get... and something snapped. I charged on out there, ready to pry them off of her, and as I went... I felt this stuff come out of me. It covered me up, all over, and I didn't even break stride to figure out what the gently caress. It was go time. I charge them, yelling something like, "Get off of her, you assholes!"

The Drakes didn't take it well, needless to say. Even though I looked nothing like a highschooler, all angles and oily black, they aren't the type to take someone fighting back well. One had a crowbar, another a bat, and the third was kind of just there smoking. Probably the one in charge of this operation. I charge in, duck under the bat swing, and this is about when I figure I'm like... not just regular weird, but weird in a way that might make a difference. I could almost see things before they happened. Not always, mind, and I'm mostly relying on my MMA background, but enough that I'm twisting between their attacks and hitting them like I've gone full kung-fu master.

I whoop some rear end, enough that the Drakes decide that discretion is the better part of whatever, and they run off. I just stand there, breathing heavily, and I'm not sure what Ms. Kim made of the sight of me in some sort of super-costume. Probably nothing, really, she's blind as hell. She says something like, "Thank you, dearie, but they're just going to come back. They always do. At least I'll have their money, though."

That's when it hits me. What if they don't have to always come back? And that, y'know, just kind of got things started.

• Who, outside of the team, helps you on your chosen path?

Sang Chung used to coach me when I first started learning to fight. I mean, he doesn't have much time for that now, what with the dueling protection rackets and all, but I do a little work for him on the side. Not paid or anything, unless you count the occasional sparring sesh he can fit in when we're not cleaning up broken glass, but... I dunno. It feels right. Like this is a guy who's done a lot for me, whether or not he knows it, and I want to pay him back a little. Maybe once I knock a little sense into one side or the other, things'll get easier for him. For everyone in that part of town.

• Why do you care about the team?

poo poo, these guys are about the only people in Koreatown who seem to care. Maybe they've got powers, maybe not, but they give a poo poo. Everyone else, even mom, just figures this is how it is. Nobody seems to think that it could ever be anything else.

• Who or what has the Spiderweb taken from you?

It took my hopes of a normal life. I've never known my dad, my mom is either sleeping or working to keep up with protection and rent, and... I dunno. The others have lost so much. Me? I just want a normal family. I just want a dad who isn't a kingpin and a mom who isn't so tired that she forgets what day it is and... I dunno. Eating at the same table might be nice. Families do that, right?

quote:

Name: Alexa Ibañez
Hero Name: Black Widow
Look: Woman, Latina, Slender Body, Casual Clothing, Aggressive Costume

Your Lineage:
You are the child of a true supervillain, someone with power and the will to use that power to cause harm. Even though you strive to be different than them, you are what you are because of them, in one way or another.

Sebastian Ibañez, a.k.a The Spider

What kind of villain are they? Cruel mastermind.
What is your relationship with them like? Mostly strangers.
They have an array of abilities, assets, and strengths; what are some of them? Endless minions, unrivaled genius, ???
What abilities do you use to fight them? Impressive martial prowess, regeneration.

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +0
Savior +2
Superior +0
Mundane +0

Moves:
❑ They don’t deserve forgiveness: When you accuse an enemy of being irredeemable, you can mark two conditions to take Influence over you away from them. When you directly engage someone who has no Influence over you, you can always choose 1 additional option, even on a miss.
❑ White lies: When you comfort or support someone by telling them lies they want to hear, roll + Savior instead of + Mundane. On a hit, if they open up to you, take Influence over them.

Respect:
Write down the names of at least two other characters whose respect you need to earn in order to differentiate yourself from your parent. You may fill in new names whenever appropriate.

Your parent’s greatest enemy: Dai Ushi
Respect: ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ Advancement: ☐

Your parent’s greatest victim: _____________

Your personal idol: _____________________

The neighborhood’s greatest leader: ________________

The neighborhood’s greatest vigilante: Carbine

The neighborhood’s biggest celebrity: ______________

When you seek out one of the characters named above, roll + Savior. On a hit, you track them down. On a 7-9, they’re juggling their own problems, and may not have time for you. On a miss, when you find them, the situation is dire; the GM will tell you how.

If you earn Influence over the characters listed above, instead you mark 1 Respect. If you lose Influence over the characters listed above, you lose 1 Respect. If you lose 1 Respect and you have none marked, you immediately mark a condition, GM’s choice.

The first time you reach 4 Respect on an individual, take an advancement.

While you have 4 Respect on an individual:
• You can reject their Influence at a +3 (does not stack with the above).
• You take +1 to a Label of their choice (record it next to their name).
If you dip below 4 Respect on an individual, you lose those benefits.

Moment of Truth:
People have always tried to define you by your lineage. As if from the moment you were born, you were meant to be some villain to be defeated. But...they’re right, aren’t they? That darkness is in you. So right here, right now, you’re not fighting it—you’re embracing it. Both hero and villain, and greater besides. You’re overcoming impossible odds in ways no hero would approve of, and no villain could comprehend. Of course, after seeing what you can really do when you embrace the whole of yourself, the rest of the world isn’t going to forget who you really are...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you have earned their respect. If you have, take Influence over them and mark potential. If you have not, give them Influence over you and mark potential.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they would defend you against those who mistrust you. If they say yes, clear a condition and shift Savior up and any other Label down. If they say no, mark a condition and shift Danger up and any other Label down.

When our team first came together...
Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who? Why?

Relationships:
____________________ is the only one who understands what I’m going through; I told them which part of me I wished was more like my parent.
My parent once fought and thrashed _____________________; I’ve got to find a way to make it up to them.

Influence:
This team may be the key to proving you’re different from your parent, but you don’t want to be defined by your peers, either. Give Influence to 2 teammates.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 11, 2019

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Valeria Orlov the Reformed

We all know that the Spider rules his web. Of course he does. Doesn't mean he's the unchallenged master, that there aren't nooks and crannies where people can carve out their own little hustle. That was me, a tiny ant in the spider-web.

quote:

Who mentored you in supervillainy?

My big brother, Stepan. I was in it practically from birth. Kids make good runners - drugs, cash, weapons, whatever - cop don't want to hassle them and the gangs all have an understanding, you don't shoot kids up. Maybe rough 'em up, take their goods, but nothing more. I got a little older and the expectation was I'd be arm candy. The only other option? Become an enforcer. A really loving drat good one. Unlike a lot of our more mysogynistic cousins, Stepan supported me. I trained with guns, swords, knives and fists. I cultivated the "death woman" image with cinematic flare. People looked up to me. They feared me. It felt amazing.

quote:

What caused you to switch sides?

About six months ago, it finally all came to a head. We'd been in a running fight with the Helldrake Syndicate for year. Koreatown and the old Little Russia were right next to each other, so turf conflicts were inevitable. Part of Dai Ushi's consolidation of power - like, number 987 on her list - was to finally take Little Russia. Not like it was hard. We'd always known we skirted around the Helldrake's feet, so when they came down in force, we were overwhelmed.

Seriously overwhelmed. Like an occupying army, black cars with Helldrake enforces moved all through the neighborhood and started clamping down. No mercy. Our phones lit up and Stepan leads us out, not knowing the extent of the assault.

I woke up a week later at HC General feeling like total hambuger. Nobody wanted to tell me much, so I knew it was bad. Dribs and drabs came out. Stepan, dead. Our gang, dead or near death. Me, three bullets through the body, one through my stomach that nearly killed me.

This one doctor kept coming to check on me, Doctor Park. He'd check on me, consult intensely with other doctors and the nurses. I kept thinking I recognized him. A secret Helldrake plant? No, he'd had plenty of opportunities to deal with me, and hadn't. So what?

Finally I asked, and he told me. I'd killed his daughter. My whole body siezed, an icy hand around my heart. So it was revenge.

Except...it wasn't. Days and weeks dragged on. I went from ICU to critical care to rehab. He'd tell me about Allison, never about exactly how she'd died, but about her interests, how she related to her little sister, how her loss had separated him and his wife. I had to ask, I was burning to know, wasn't he angry? Didn't he want me to die?

No, he said. It's not what she'd have wanted. It wasn't who he wanted to be. And he said he felt sorry for me.

quote:

Who first showed you that you could do good?

My whole world got kicked sideways. I got discharged from the hospital, but I couldn't go home. I hit up the few safe caches I had, collected the money and weapons, and found myself nearly unable to touch the guns. I couldn't not see my Doctor, wrack my brain for the face of his daughter, then spend the day saddled with guilt that I couldn't picture her face.

I needed to change, that I knew. What I didn't know was how. I wasn't a doctor or a firefighter. Then I met the watch one evening. I tended to wander around late at night, a way to burn out my nervous energies. A couple in orange hats came up to me, asked if I needed help. gently caress no, I said, confused, untrusting. It was a scam, right? No, they were the neighborhood watch.

Seriously? I'd never taken those kinds of things seriously before. I had deals to do, money to make, people to put in their place. These people were just naive dogooders cleaning up dog poop.

I hung in the back my first meeting. By the end, I was signing up. The neighbood lead, Daniel Robinson, he talked like a gospel preacher from a movie, but with less Jesus. He believed in the neighborhood, in people's goodness, that when each of us contribute we can make a better community for everybody. And that there can always be second chances. For everybody.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Straight up, serious? It's my shot at redemption. I did the neighborhood watch for a while - their rules are strict. No fighting. Call the cops. Fine, they don't know how to handle themselves. But I do. I have the skills and the instincts.

My first Nightwitch costume was terrible - just blacks with a balaclava. I've iterated it since, and started leaving calling cards. I've stopped muggings, assaults, chased down robbers. Small-ball, in the grand scheme, but something. With the team, I can do more, maybe not enough to make up for my past, but...more.

And deep down I hope they'll keep me on the right path.

quote:

“Who or what has the Spiderweb taken from you?”

My brother, my place in the world, and my sense of righteousness. When I was with the gang, everything seemed clear. I knew my friends, my enemies, my role. Now it's all jumbled, and that's very disorienting.

The Reformed" posted:

Name: Valeria Orlov
Hero Name: Nightwitch
Look: Woman, Eastern European, gorgeous eyes, concealing fashion, sleek costume
Abilities: Weapons and Martial Expertise

Labels:
Danger +3
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +0
Mundane +0

Moves:
What the hell, hero: When you call out an injustice that a hero has perpetrated, roll + Danger.
On a hit, take Influence over them.
On a 7-9, choose one. On a 10+, choose two.

Not so different: When you provoke someone to criminal or villainous action, you can use Danger instead of Superior.

Friends in Low Places

You have ties to villains from your previous career. Choose three names to fill in...for each of them, choose a specialty.

Yuri Orlov
Specialty: Weapons Obligation: ❏ ❏ ❏ ❏
Ah, cousin Yuri. He works the docks and has managed to keep his own little fief despite the shifts in power. Mostly because he'll sell weapons to anybody, and can get anything if you'll pay.

Calvin Iverson
Specialty: Insider info Obligation: ❏ ❏ ❏ ❏
One of my gang's old moles inside the HCPD, who's survived and still feeds me info sometimes. Not that I'm using it to target big jewel shipments anymore....

Yekaterina Mikhailov
Specialty: Materials Obligation: ❏ ❏ ❏ ❏
Cousin Kat! A small time fence, she pushes around interesting, fun stolen property. Need a non-descript car or a fake ID? She's your hookup.

When you create your character, mark two obligations on one villain, and mark one obligation on another.

When you come to them for help with your problems, mark obligation on them and they’ll help out within their specialty. If all their boxes are full, then they won’t help you until you help them.

When time passes, roll + your highest obligation. On a 10+, they come crashing into your life with a crisis. On a 7-9, they call for a favor. On a miss, they don’t come knocking yet, but mark obligation with them—the debts are getting heavier.

When you help one of these villains with their problems, erase two obligations on them.

Moment of Truth:
You’ve seen your greatest mistakes, and the rest of the world has, too. They’re all watching you now, judging every move you make. When everything is on the line and your back is against the wall, though, you’ll show them what you’re made of—that being a hero is a choice. An act of will. And you’ve got what it takes to save the day. Of course, a erward, you can expect both sides, hero and villain, to deeply question where your loyalties truly lie...

Team Moves:
When you share a moment of triumph with someone, ask them what gives them hope for a brighter day and give them Influence.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what they would do something dark for and gain In uence over them.

We fought a terrible enemy from my old life. Who was it and what did they take from me?

Relationships:
I’ve earned the trust of _________________, and I follow their example of what a hero should be.

I did something terrible to __________________ once. I hope they can forgive me one day.

Influence:
Do you talk openly about your days as a villain? If so, give each team member Influence over you. If not, just give Influence to the one teammate whose example you most closely follow.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 10, 2019

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Wraith, the Transformed

• Who were you before?

Who I was, who I used to be, doesn't matter anymore. The old me is dead, gone, lying dead in some alley somewhere. She doesn't exist anymore.

...But fine, if you really want to know, I’ll tell you. Esmeralda Flores. That was my name, but it doesn’t really mean anything to me anymore. I’ve got an older sister, Isabella, and the life we lead together… wasn’t an easy one. Our parents passed away while I was still young, so it’s just been me, and her, for the longest time. Isabella was the responsible one. She’d take on as many jobs as she can to keep us from having to live on the streets, and as for me? Well, I didn’t really do much to help. All I ever did was make things more difficult for her.

I was angry. I don’t even know why I was so angry, but I was, and I wasn’t the only one. I was in a gang, a small one, nothing like the Spiders or the Helldrakes, with kids who were just as angry as I was, and wanted to take out that anger anyway we can. We’d start trouble, get into fights, break everything around us, and my sister, as you’ve probably guessed, never approved of what we were doing. We would fight, every single night. She wanted me to stop what I was doing, but I was always too stubborn to listen, and on the night before I "died," we got into a really bad argument. It was the most heated we ever got with each other. We said some things we can't take back anymore, and it ended with me yelling out "I hate you," along with some other words, to her, before I stormed off, and left.

If I knew those would be my last words to my sister, I wouldn't of said it, but there's not much I can do about what happened in the past now.

• When did you change? What caused it?

Hell, your guess is as good as mine. I think it might've had something to do with the stuff Diego gave us, whatever the hell that was. I was with my gang, when Diego showed up, and started talking about some "amazing poo poo" he found. He took out this weird drink, and he kept hyping it up as something that would "change our entire world." He wouldn't tell us where, or how, he got it, and we thought he was just loving with us, but he kept insisting that what he got was the "real poo poo," so I said gently caress it, took the drink, and drank it all up in one go. We all waited for something to happen, but nothing ever did. We all laughed at him, told him he got ripped off by whatever dealer gave him his "miracle drink."

We all stopped laughing when the Spiders showed up.

Me and my gang, we had one rule; you don't mess with the Spiders, or the Helldrakes, but Diego, that idiot, broke that rule. He somehow stole that drink from the Spiders, and they were pissed about it. They followed him to our base, and that's when all hell broke loose. They beat most of us up pretty badly, and they were about to shoot Diego, but before they did, I pushed him aside... and ended up taking the shot instead. The bullet went straight through my heart, and... that was it for me. "No. No, no, no. I don't want to die. I don't want to die," those were my thoughts as I laid there, my vision going darker, and my body growing colder, and the last thing I thought of, before the whole world went dark, was of my sister, and how sorry I was for all the trouble I caused her.

And then I died.

...Or so I thought, anyways. I'm a little fuzzy about what happened next, but I remember my eyes opening up again, and my vision was different. Everything was grey, and misty. I remember hearing panicked screams around me. They were yelling about some kind of "unholy monster," and then there was gunfire. Lots of gunfire. Aimed at me.

That's when I realized it; the "monster" they were talking about was me. I came back to life, and appeared before them, like an angry, undead zombie.

The next few minutes were filled with more screams, gunfire, and bodies being tossed around. The Spiders made a run for it, and they weren't the only ones who left terrified. When I turned to look at my crew, they all had this look of pure fear in their eyes, and, before I could even say a single word to them, they all ran, and I was left there, in an empty building, confused and scared, and alone.

• Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?

After my... change, I stayed in that abandoned building for days. I had no idea what happened to me, and I was too scared to leave. I wanted to see my sister again, but how could I see her when I looked like something that walked out of a horror movie? I thought it would be better if I stayed hidden from the world... but then I met the old man.

Hiroto Fujimoto, that old man who owns that repair shop, walked into the building I was hiding in one day. I thought for sure he'd die of a heart attack when he saw me... but he didn't. He was strangely calm, gave me his hand, and even offered me a place to stay. I spent the next few days with him, trying to understand the change the changes I went through. I found out I can morph parts of my body slightly, make myself look a little more freakier. As for why and how it happened... I wish I knew, and the old man is just as clueless as I am. He thinks it might have something to do with the drink I had, but he's got no idea why it changed me the way it did.

• Why don't you just try to hide yourself away?

...I thought about it, believe me. Walking out in public is a giant pain. I gotta make sure I cover myself completely, hoodie and everything, avoid crowded places, and keep my distance from people, just so I don't start freaking people out. It sucks, but I think what's been keeping me from hiding myself away for good... is the anger. A small part of me still held onto some of that anger that I felt before, but my anger was a little more directed, at the Spiders. They were the reason why my life went to hell, they're the reason why I can't live a normal life anymore, and so many people I used to know got hurt by them. We keep our heads down, and let them walk all over us.

gently caress that. I might not have been able to do much before, but now... now I can, and you better believe I'm not going to let them get away with that poo poo anymore.

...I don't know. Aside from some of the anger I feel at the Spiders, I don't really feel much of anything anymore. I guess a small part of me is sorta hoping that I could feel something again while I'm around them, but I'm not holding my breath. It's nice they let me into their group, and they're not too freaked out by me, but I don't think any of them can really understand what I'm going through. I don't think anybody does, not even the old man, but unlike everybody else in this drat place, they're actually doing something to change things, and I can respect that, at least.

...When I was able to, I tried to visit my sister at our old apartment, only to find out she wasn't there. Isabella was gone, taken away by the Spiders, but that's not the real kicker here. She wasn't forced to go with them, she went with them willingly.

My sister became a part of their gang.

I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It was like one, big, drat joke. Isabelle, the same Isabella that chewed me out for causing so much trouble, is now part of the gang that hosed up our neighborhood. What the hell was she thinking? I'm the one who makes the loving dumb decisions, not her, and unlike me, she had a drat future, but she threw it all away, and I don't even know why. If I wasn't angry at the Spiders before, I got even more angry when I found out. It wasn't enough that they took my old friends, and my life, away from me, but they took my drat sister, too.

If I ever see her again, I'm going to ask her, and she better have a drat good reason for doing what she did.

quote:

Hero Name: Wraith
Look: Woman, latinx, upsetting eyes, strange flesh, no costume

Abilities:
❑ Transmuting flesh
❑ Inhuman might

Labels:
Danger +2
Freak +3
Savior +0
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves:
❑ Not human enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

❑ Wish I could be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

❑ Be the Monster:
When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
- You frighten others you had not intended to scare
- You hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have
- You feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)

Moment of Truth:
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ knew you before you changed.

Influence:
You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 10, 2019

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Janus to go here

It all started with the museum. Natural History. I suppose you could call it my calling. Animals. I love them. There's just so many ways they've evolved into so many type, sub-types, so many verities and amazing abilities. Like, did you know Sloths can't actually digest the leaves they eat themselves? They need a specific culture of bacteria to break the leaves down! That's just amazing! Or what about the Peacock Mantis shrimp? They have three pupils on each eye, so they can see in multiple directions! Never mind the fact they can see 18 colours! That's 15 more then we can! Isn't that just incredible?!

What was I talking about? The museum? Oh! Right! The Museum...

I was finishing up some volunteer work in the main lobby. Cleaning up after one of the big school parties had finished rolling through. Just on the verge of starting the lock up. When a man barged through the doors and ran into me. He seemed extremely alarmed! Sweating buckets, eyes darting around like a rabbit. He stumbled off into the museum. Leaving me where I'd fallen. Then three guys entered. Clearly following him. Spider's goons. The worst possible person to walk through those doors. I mean, they don't even care about the exhibits! Our old security guard tried to stop them and he went down after one punch. I don't think I've ever been more scared in my life. But as they disappeared around the corner, chasing the scared man, I started feeling something else. Anger. I couldn't let these guys harm the museum! Harm something I love! Not again! Never again! So I got up, and ran after them.

Their path went into the back rooms, smashed cases lined their way, and I found myself behind them. They'd cornered him. The man they were chasing. They were saying something to him, but I could only hear my heart pounding in my ears. So I just kind of... jumped at them? Okay, look, it was super stupid and I had no plan and I was basically going to die. But- I wasn't going to let these jerks ruin the thing that I love! Well, the big one threw me down like a rag doll. The rage vanished in a moment, and the fear came back. The other two were beating on their target. He tried to pull something out, but it got knocked from his hand. I get a momentary flash of something flying towards my face and then it smashed and my body was on fire! It was in my eyes, my hair, my mouth. It hurt, it hurt so bad. I just started swinging wildly. I connected with something, then another, there was a cry of alarm, and then? Silence.

My eyes finally cleared. The goons were down. Why were the goons down? I looked around in confusion. The guy they chased in here was down for the count too. My hands felt like lead. So I looked down at them. They were not my hands. They were very much not my hands. I wanted to scream, but I was too out of it. Too confused. I felt strange. I must have passed out. I awoke back at home.

That was just the start of my problems.

quote:

• When did you first put on the mask? Why?

It took me a while to work out what was happening to me. I'd just sprout random animal parts. I spent a whole day with a tail hidden under my skirt! But then I heard the rumours about the Elixir. It didn't take a genius to put 2+2 together. I took a chance and made use of my lab access at school. Took a blood sample and hooo boy! My cells were looking really weird. They'd definitely been altered. I'd started seeing other effects, I was stronger, faster, I flowed through the city rooftops. It was amazing, exhilarating! But I saw things, things I couldn't turn away from. Spider's goons being the same horrible miscreants. I remembered the museum. I'd led a charmed life up till now. I'd avoided the cruelty of the gangs. Turned a blind eye to it. But now I could see things the darkness of the city. I was like this because of these people. Maybe... maybe now I could make a difference.

I knew that I'd have to protect my identity. Cuz suddenly sprouting a scorpion tail from your arm with mandibles out of your mouth makes you really noticeable. I couldn't let the Spiders hurt my family. I needed a disguise.

Thankfully I like to make my own clothes. So I made a few suits. The first couple versions were all black, and sneaky. But they ended up looking like I was covered in cat hair! (I love Mr Ruffles, but god does his fluff get everywhere). Then I happened upon the Flower Crab Spider, it blends into it's surroundings mimics them. I just got inspired. What if I wasn't trying to hide via my suit? What if I could blend the fibres to react to my body? Blend to my surroundings until it was time to strike! It took some time. But I worked it out! I borrowed some supplies from the School, took some ideas from the Cuttlefish and it's hiding ability, and by the time it was done, I had a suit that looked beautiful, but via projecting light via bio-luminescence I could change it's colour or pattern to whatever I need it to be!

I started off working around my School. Beating up lone thugs and muggers and then melting back into the shadows, making alterations here and there. They didn't have much of a presence there, so it made for a good hunting ground. But I quickly moved away, realising I'd just bring the Spider down on one of the few places they're not infesting. So I focused back on my home turf, KoreaTown. That was how I met the others, but maybe that's a story for another time.

quote:

• Why do you keep a secret identity?

My life before this... it was already a game of masks. I live in a bad part of town. I know that. But my Mum dreamed of more! She managed to scrimp and save to send me to a good school. In the part of town that's... okay, it's still under the Spider's web. But it's the rich part, where the well off kids learn to sneer at the rest of us. Where money flowed and they learned how to support Spider's little empire by playing along, that when they fed the Spider, looked the other way, they found themselves a little bit better off.

I have to play along too.

See, they think I'm like them. They think I'm just another rich yuppie. I've been blending in, pretending, hiding my identity behind make up and fake smiles. Making sure I walked home alone. Making sure nothing could expose me. Now? Now I've got even more to hide. It's not just my real life, it's my fake life at risk as well! I could make something of myself with one of those degrees. But that's not going to happen if people find out I can grow gills, or shoot webs, or grow the eyes of an owl, or Rhinos skin. Never mind what the Spider and his cronies would do to my family! I can't risk it. I won't risk it. What's one more mask at the end of the day?

quote:

• Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?

My ex-Boyfriend. Oh, did I not mention him? Yeah... he's... ugh. Okay, look, some days you come back into your room through the window, having just completed a successful patrol, and you don't expect anyone to be there, and you start to pull off your costume, and they're there, having broken into your room because they thought it would be romantic to be waiting in bed for you, and... and they catch you, and you can't really deny it, because you've still got frog feet for hands.

Luke Hessler, what can I say about him? He was nice, at first. I was swept up by his charm, by his charisma. I liked his whole grumpy persona, but he seemed like a real sweetheart in private. Pity he was a classical narcissist. He played me for about a month about how hard the whole vigilante thing was on him. I almost quit. Until I overheard one of the girls at school talking about their ex, and realised it sounded a lot like Luke. And then I found out it was Luke. Guy was three timing me. Oh yeah, there was a third girl! He's with her now.

But he knows my secret, both of them. He's kept quiet so far. But how long can I really trust him not to talk? Or god forbid blackmail me into getting back together. Ugh, I shouldn't think so lowly about him, the break up was bad, and I'll be honest, I'm probably carrying a lot of baggage from it. But it's hard not to when he's kinda holding my whole life in his hands.

quote:

• Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

What, you mean other then the insane tyrant ruling the city with a iron fist? Strangely enough, it was someone I thought I saved. His name is Brett Killroy. A city official. I thought he was getting mugged, so I swooped in and took the Spider down. Patting myself on the back. But Killroy thought I was there for him. I think he was making some kind of deal with the Spiders! Now he thinks I know about it! W...Which I guess I now do... But he's using his influence to focus city authority on me, while his Spider buddies are trying to bring me down too!

It wouldn't be so hard if Killroy wasn't running for mayor, I think he's even coming to my School soon! Won't That be fun (It really loving won't)

quote:

Look... I don't get to be close to people. I don't get friends, I can't risk it... but these guys? They're as weird as I am. Maybe it won't hurt to open up to someone. It be nice... to have friends.

quote:

Who or what has the Spiderweb taken from you?

My Dad. It took my Dad. He's a cop. I mean... he 'was' a cop. It happened pretty early on, the gangs were getting worse, Dad, he... he tried to do his job. He didn't come home. That's why I turned my back. Why I tried to block out what was happening. I didn't want to think about it. So I buried myself in my school work, my part time job, my relationship (while it was there). But that night in the Museum, I remembered. And I felt that fury. I wanted to hurt them. Just like they hurt me. And they nearly killed me, just like they... yeah...

Sorry, I... I need a moment...

quote:

Name: Lucy Amelia Elizabeth Firr
Hero Name: Mimic
Look: Woman, White, elegant clothing, flashy costume, full disguise
Abilities: Bio-Kenetic Animal mimicry
Your appearance is unchanged by your abilities, and you can keep your powers hidden. You have heightened physical abilities (strength, agility, toughness), and two unique abilities:
- Impossible Mobility
- Supernatural Senses

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak +0
Savior +0
Superior +1
Mundane +3

Moves:

The Mask:
You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:
❑ Danger
Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label.

When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

Game face:
When you commit yourself to save someone or defeat a terrible enemy, mark a condition and take +1 ongoing to all rolls in direct pursuit of that goal. At the end of any scene in which you don’t make progress towards that goal, mark a condition. When you fulfil your goal, mark potential.

I am what you see:
When you spend time talking to someone about your identity, you can ask them which Label they want to impose on you; their player will tell you honestly. If you accept what they tell you, take +1 forward and either mark potential or clear a condition.

Moment of Truth:

The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

Secret Identity
Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.

Jobs: waitress
School: Schoolwork
Social: Ex-Boyfriend

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations. On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt.

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships:

_____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence:

You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 7, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

• Who changed you?

The Helldrakes. Dai Ushi. My own stupid self.

I was enforcing for them, along with my boyfriend Bobby. His cousin is higher up, one of Dai Ushi's personal guard. They got ahold of some of this stuff, Titan. They needed a test subject, and I'd screwed up. We've been butting heads with The Spider's guys over protection money at the Kobawoo House. It's been real stalemate poo poo for months. It turned into a fight, Bobby was nearby with couple of his guys, but I thought I could take them without help. Stupid. One of them had some little SMG in his jacket. I got hit, grazed, really. Not bad. But Kobawoo got hit, some waiter got shot in the leg.

Hard to demand protection money when the place is getting shot up. I begged forgiveness, but instead she "blessed" me with Titan. Locked me in a shipping container to see what happened.

• How did you escape from them?

So, this Titan stuff is wild. Felt like my brain was melting at first... then it just hurt. Everything hurt. Like growing pains and broken bones. Now I know that I was there for almost a month, now, but at the time... I couldn't even think about stuff like that. There was just pain. And hunger. I ate everything I could get my hands on. They fed me, but... some of the guards thought it would be funny to throw a rat in there. I ate that too.

I think that's what made me flip out and lose my poo poo. Started banging on the door, demanding real food... and dented it. I felt so weak, but it didn't stop me from kicking the door open. The guards turned, fired. Probably landed a dozen shots on me, I bled, but at the time I couldn't even feel it. I grabbed their guns and broke them with my bare hands, left the pair of them broken and bleeding on the floor.

• Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

It probably says a lot about me, but I didn't go home. I went to Mr. Kim's dojo, see my best friend Ryan. Well, we were. Since I joined the Helldrakes we hadn't really seen much of each other, or talked much. I must have been quite the sight, bleeding and covered in bullet holes. He tried to get me to go to the emergency room until I showed them they all glanced off right after they pierced the skin. I was still covered in blood and holes, even if they were shallow. drat near completely healed overnight, too.

I've gone back a few times, when I needed a place. I can't really go home now. Ryan is always there to help, and Mr. Kim has been the closest thing I've had to a dad. He hasn't started asking questions, but I know he has them.

• Why do you try to be a hero?

I screwed up, I see that now. I got myself stuck in the machine like everybody else, and got somebody hurt. I was trying to get up, get out, do ANYTHING but run on the treadmill of misery that is Koreatown.

This changes everything. I can do more than try to escape, or get my mom out. I can break the stranglehold the Helldrakes and the Spider have.

So, clearly I'm not good with the whole "feelings" bit, but they're aight people. They see the big picture. They want to change it all, too. As long as I can protect them, and they've got my back, then we're tight. Simple as that.

My home, my mom. She's still there, but I can't be seen hanging out. I know the Helldrakes have been watching the place. I've called and stopped by, but I can't go home. Besides that, it's the usual poo poo all of us have been through. My dad died when I was little, couldn't pay for chemo. My sister left a few years ago. She sends postcards, but she's never coming back to this shithole. My best friend growing up, Mari, got killed when her dad got into some trouble and their car got shot up. I failed a science class because my lab partner decided to try to make meth instead of doing the goddamn homework. It's not just one thing, it's all of it. It's a thousand little pins putting pressure on you from every angle until you break.

Jokes on them. I'm unbreakable now.

quote:

Name: Park Sung-Mi
Hero Name: Yama
Look: Woman, Asian, Battered Hands, Baggy Clothing, Simple Costume

Abilities
Someone changed you, made you into a perfect weapon: superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting. Decide how each of those abilities manifests.

Extremely dense bulletproof and strong muscle layer over a reinforced skeleton combined with years of kickboxing experience.

Labels:
Danger +2
Freak +1
Savior +0
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Moves:
Punch everyone: Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can shift your Danger up and drop any other Label down.
Physics? What physics?: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that supports your love or frustrates your rival.

Love: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Rival: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑ Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Moment of Truth:
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who? Why?

Relationships:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is your love. You've opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence:
You're selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival influence over you, but that's it.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 9, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

• How did you get your powers?

So, you know how there are like orphanages? And how those orphanages don't really want anything to do with you when you turn 18? And how, hey, it's kinda hard to find good work in this economy? My point is that I need money whenever I can get it. And this lab was offering money for willing test subjects. And I'm willing to get a hundred bucks. So I go and they have me drink this nasty drink or whatever and hey nonny nonny, I have superpowers. Fat lotta good they are, though. Coulda gotten cool laser eyes or super strength, but no, I just zip around and make other people as useless as me. Jeez.

• What do you do for fun?

Well, before my parents died, I played a bit of guitar. I like making music, it's....something where I feel like I'm worthwhile. Like I can actually do something, you know? But I am absolutely not good enough to actually show anyone, even if the doc keeps trying to listen in.

• Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

Reiko Tachibana was one of the scientists who scouted me out for the test. Said I had the potential for true greatness, or whatever. After the test, she became my unofficial guardian, and she's kinda the only reason I'm not in an alley right now, so I mean, I'm grateful for that. Doesn't stop her from being a pain in the rear end, though. Can you believe this lady wants me to go to COLLEGE someday? She's also the one who encouraged the whole hero thing after ol' Brilliant died.

How do you get rid of evil? Do you try to reason and debate with it, hoping civility will change its mind? Do you prop your hopes on the shoulders of the marginalized, despite you having a lot more power to broker change? Do you acquiesce to more and more of its demands, hoping you can sate it?

gently caress no. You have to make evil afraid to exist as evil. You have to make it afraid to leave its shithole house. Show it that it's not tolerated.

You have to punch a loving Spider in the face.

I am going to punch Sebastian Ibañez in the goddamn face for everything he's taken from me.

They're a buncha fuckin' nerds and poo poo, but...I dunno, I like being around them. Kinda feels like a...family, I guess. I dunno, the doc'd probably pick my brain apart at all this. Also, if these guys need someone like ME around, they're probably real hard up, so least I can do is help, hehehe.

My father....was not a good man. He was an enforcer, just like Ibañez. Not for Las Plages, though. A Russian organization called the Crimson Star. Naturally, you don't really hear much from them anymore. That's because they got caught in the web...destroyed from the inside out. My father was one of the casualties. My mother died during childbirth, and I had no real living relatives. I was put in the drat orphanage, forgotten and alone. I guess I'm just lucky my father had the foresight to give me my mother's maiden name, or they might have come after me as well. He wasn't a good man, but...he was my dad. I lost everything. I lost my chance at a normal life.

The Delinquent posted:

Hero Name: Tch, you think I'm some kind of coward who has to hide who I am?

Look: Woman, white, laughing eyes, casual clothing, no costume

Abilities: Teleportation, power negation

Labels:
Freak: 0
Danger: +1
Savior: -1
Superior: +2
Mundane: +1

Moves:

Mary Contrary: When someone tries to pierce your mask, comfort or support you, or provoke you, you can interfere. Roll + Superior. On a hit, they take a -2 on their roll. On a 10+, you also take Influence over them or clear a condition. On a miss, they get a 10+ no matter what they rolled and you mark a condition of their choice.

Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Are you watching closely?:
When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement

On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Moment of Truth: This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 6, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Mae Brilliant, Adventure Science Intern!

Granddaughter of recently deceased eminent chemist Bryce Brilliant, Mae shares his intellect although her talents run more to mechanical and electrical engineering. Instead of applying for college she has moved into Koreatown to work in a repair shop, but secretly she has begun to fight crime as the armored hero Prototype under the guidance of her secretive mentor, the elusive vigilante Brass! Keenly aware that the Spider's Web has strands stronger than steel she is seeking other young heroes to stand with her against the corruption that chokes Halcyon City!

WIP document

quote:

How did you first meet your mentor?

I was a day old baby, I think. Mom has a photo of him holding me, I'm wrapped in cloth and sleeping. Real cute. How did I meet him as a mentor? After his funeral I got a note to go looking for him, along with some Titan Elixir. The note had a tiny RFID attached which led me to his hideout - that location is privileged information, by the way, so don't ask. He said I should call him Brass now, and that we were going to work together to save the city.

quote:

When and why did you choose to train with them?

I was pretty mad at first because hey, why the hell would you fake your death and disappear on your family like that? Told him to go to hell, that he was crazy. Until he showed me the changes the serum made to him, and the work he'd done fighting the Spider and other crime-lords. Having turned back the clock on your biology, become super strong and started fighting crime is a pretty good reason. He doesn't want the rest of the family in the line of fire (which is fair) so he let the Spider think he was dead. He gave me an ultimatum - agree to train under him, or he'd disappear. At this point I was feeling the effects of the Serum and I was pretty curious about the whole crime thing, so I agreed.

quote:

Why did they agree to train you?

Well, he gave me my powers and warned me about the Spider, it would be pretty irresponsible of him not to teach me how to fight crime after that. I suppose we also had a pretty good relationship when I was growing up, I was more like him than my Dad or his other kids, and he encouraged me to go into the STEM thing. Playing shrink for a moment? He really likes to shape and control things and winding me up and letting me go just wouldn't occur to him.

quote:

Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

Hiroto Fujimoto, the old guy who runs the garage I work at. Used to be a Helldrake soldier, and you don't get old enough to retire in that life unless you're real tough. He and Poppa Bryce fought the first time he was playing hero, and ended up becoming friends somehow. He doesn't know that Pop's not dead, I think, but he knows I'm not working in his garage for sub-minimum wage for the fun of it, and he knows I'm getting ready to do something. He'll make sly comments now and again when I'm late for work or show up with a few bumps and bruises, but I'm pretty sure I can trust him not to talk. poo poo, I can't get him to talk enough to make a coffee order most days.

quote:

It's not possible to do the lone vigilante thing and survive, let alone succeed. There's a dozen or more examples in old newspaper clippings. Poppa Bryce was one of the lucky ones, he got away with a limp and a police caution. And then he wasn't and now he has to pretend to be dead. Carbine is another loner, and is probably going to get gunned down by a SWAT team eventually. A team gives me a chance to succeed where they failed. Now if they would just do as they're told, that'd be great.

quote:

Well, I'd tell you about my grandad but I'd be lying. It has driven the rest of my family out of this city and apart, though. No-one wanted to stay in Poppa Bryce's death house, and everyone but me took the opportunity to get out of Halcyon altogether. It's also taken my future, in a way. I could have gone to college, become a great scientist or a doctor or anything. Another Brilliant success story. Instead I'm living in a warehouse with a basement full of young weirdos, fighting crime and working part time on fixing cars. I don't know if I'll win the coming war, or survive it, but either way I don't think I'm ever going to be able to go back to normal life.

Protege posted:

HERO NAME: Prototype
Look
• woman
• black
• athletic body
• casual clothes
• protective wear

Abilities
You are someone’s protégé. Your powers largely mimic theirs, but each of you is in some way unique. Pick one ability you both share and one ability for each of you that is uniquely yours.
SHARED ABILITY: weapons and gadgets
YOUR OWN ABILITY: powerful armor
YOUR MENTOR’S ABILITY: Superhuman physique

Mentor
You have a mentor, someone who’s taught you, trained you, given you aid, or raised you up. Someone who might have confined you a bit too rigidly to a single path. Which Label do they embody, and which do they deny? (circle one each)

EMBODIES Superior
DENIES Danger

Labels
DANGER -1
FREAK 0
SAVIOR +2
SUPERIOR +2
MUNDANE 0

Mentor’s Resources
Choose up to three resources that your mentor gave you and the team:
A hidden base, a vehicle, communicators

Moves:

Been reading the files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s
resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered/criminal phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why

Captain: When you enter battle as a team, add an extra Team to the pool and carry +1 forward if you are the leader.

Be mindful of your surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Moment of Truth
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add a Team to the pool

POTENTIAL 0/5

Every time you roll a miss on a move, mark potential.

Advancement
When you fill your potential track, you advance. Choose from the list below.
Take another move from your playbook
Take another move from your playbook
Take a move from another playbook
Someone permanently loses Influence over you;add +1 to a Label
Rearrange your Labels as you choose, and add +1 to a Label
Unlock your Moment of Truth
Add +2 to the Label your mentor embodies or denies
Choose up to four more resources from yourmentor

Other Moves

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 16, 2019

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

• Who changed you?
Well they called themselves a bunch of things--the Titans Ascendant, Hera's Court, the Wheel of the Zodiac--but I can tell you they were just a cult full of whack-jobs. Bad times have a way of bringing out the crazies, and I don't think anybody is going to say that things under the Spiderweb aren't bad times. They were grabbing up at-risk kids off the street. You know the type, runaways and addicts. They're the kind of kids that people don't make such a big fuss about when they go missing. Especially runaways that have tried it more than once...like me.

I'll spare you all of the family drama and just get to the important part. These weirdos were following this dude that called himself Cronos. He had some wild idea about a prophesy and "reviving the Titans" or "beginning the Age of the Zodiac." Seems like he changed his tune every week, but I think he was just cherry-picking from mythologies that sounded cool. They kept us sedated most of the time, so I can't tell you a ton about what was going on, but from where I was sitting it seemed like they were mostly about getting high, getting laid, and shooting us up with Titan Elixir. I don't know how a cult of freaks got Titan, but they had a lot. It didn't work on most of the kids and they eventually just disappeared. It worked on me though, and it was the worst mistake they ever made.

• How did you escape from them?
It wasn't exactly Fort Knox. The building they were squatting in must have been an abandoned vet's office, or maybe a pound. It had a bunch of cages in the back, but they were just metal pipe and chain link fence. It was really just the sedatives that kept us stuck there. Titan Elixir is unpredictable stuff though. They never could have known that they needed to dose me with ten times the amount of sedative once my abilities kicked in, or that I could rip through a chain link fence like tissue paper.

When I got out I was mad and they were sure as gently caress going to know about it. When they first brought me in they saw my name on my ID and Cronos started spouting off about I would be the vessel of Aries or something. Well one of his disciples made me a Golden Fleece to fit the prophesy. It was just a helmet made out of scrap iron and spray paint, but it was nice and sturdy. It didn't even bend when I smashed through the wall into their little club house. I was the last kid left, so I didn't have to worry about collateral damage, and I tore that place apart down to the foundations. Most of the cult ran away, but I made sure Cronos didn't. The cops found him all wrapped up in rebar when they responded to an anonymous noise complaint. Good thing the poor parts of town still have payphones.

• Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?
My mom Darlene and her new husband Kim. I never knew my real dad, hence the runaway thing. I mean my mom is great, I love her to death and I don't want to break her heart or anything. I just wanted to know who he was. Mom told me he was a Marine, but that's all she'll say. Anyway, her and Kim run a laundry and dry cleaning place together. We live up above it in a pretty cramped apartment, but I guess it's not the worst. It always smells like clean sheets, so there's that. Kim's good to mom, but he really gets on my nerves. He always wants me to call him dad, really pushed the issue sometimes, and he is super strict about my school work. I think he's gotten even worse since the incident, as my mother so delicately calls it. I really wish he'd back the gently caress off. I've had to fix broken door hinges and busted walls more than once after I lost my cool. Mom says he just wants what's best for me. Whatever.

I never liked how people who need the most help get treated like they are invisible. Everybody just turns their eyes up and ignores the homeless and addicts. Pisses me off. I've been there, ya know? And after this whole thing with the cult I got a real clear look at just how little everybody cares. There must have been a dozen other kids that went through that place while I was there, and when the elixir didn't work they just disappeared. I doubt they just got let go either. But what happened? Not a drat thing. When I got out and the police finally got involved the whole thing got maybe five minutes on the local news. So I figure I'm bulletproof and can punch down a building, why not go and see what I can do? People all over are hurting because of the gang wars and protection rackets. I think I'll go make some racket of my own.

They get it. A lot of folks who got abilities from Titan either just use it for themselves or against everybody else. Everybody is like, "I got mine," and don't care who it hurts. But not the team. They are tired of living under Spider and all of his thugs. They are tired of having to take poo poo from the Helldrakes. They're tired and they are ready to do something about it. That's good enough for me. We can hate each other for all I care, just so long as they are willing to come at these bastards with everything they've got. I'll be standing at the front smearing anybody who wants to stand in our way across the pavement.

My way out of this place. I'm not like a straight A student or anything, but I'm not a dummy either. I pass my AP classes and I did pretty well on the SAT prep. I can't afford to pay for college though. The family business makes too much for me to get any loans, and that would be great if we could put anything away for school, but instead it all goes to protection payments. After that and overhead my family is hurting for money every month. So I'm just stuck here. I'll graduate next year and then just take over the cleaners. I can't stand it, and if that's how it's going to be then I'm going to make Spider hurt for every single penny of it.

The Bull posted:

Name: Jason Schultz
Hero Name: Aries
Look: Man, white, calloused hands, casual clothes, simple costume

Abilities
Someone changed you, made you into a perfect weapon: superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting.

Labels:
Danger +3
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Moves:
❑ You’ve got a head you don’t need: When you provoke someone with obvious threats and shows of force, roll + Danger instead of + Superior
❑ Physics? What physics?: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that supports your love or frustrates your rival.

Love: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Rival: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑ Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Moment of Truth:
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is your love. You've opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence:
You're selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival influence over you, but that's it.

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 7, 2019

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Theme music as everybody is doing it

Air is beaten out of So-eun’s lungs again as the butt rams into her bruised chest. Her rifle hangs slack on the sling as she collapses to the dirt, her handgun still stuck helplessly in the belt holster. "drat it!" The armoured girl coughs, pushing to get back up as quickly as she can. But the sun was low in the sky over the ranch, and her training had begun before dawn. Bullpup could only bounce back so many times before she was too exhausted to think straight. It was as obvious to her as it was to Revolver, her mentor immediately calling an end to training when she racks the pump-action to unload shells.

"Okay, we're done for the day." Revolver declares before Bullpup strains herself too much, taking a knee so as to more easily help her protégée back up. "Don't get hung up on what went wrong, you're improving." The encouraging words as much as the hand up help So-eun to get back to her feet. "We'll practise that draw tomorrow. You'll get a lot worse than a tap in the chest from me if your gun gets stuck in combat proper.” Revolver continues. Too tired to really answer back, So-eun grunts and nods instead. She still remembers the first time she failed to clear a jam in the middle of a firefight, earning a spray of burst fire from some Spiderweb goon and a bullet wound in the bicep for her trouble. That welt still hurt. And forced her to wear a lot more three quarter sleeves at school.

Revolver keeps her hands on So-eun until she’s certain the girl is able to stand on her own again, only then moving on to clean up. Bullpup does the same, moving through the motions without even thinking much about anything. It was somewhere between picking up her used bullet casings and collapsing in an exhausted heap in the back of the car that it strikes her all at once. Staring out the window as they pull out of the old ranch outside of Halcyon City limits. This was so not normal. How did she even get here?

• How did you first meet your mentor?

She took me in when my dad died.

Okay, so that's probably going to need some unpacking right? Dad was a member of some special forces unit called Shardflight. Don't bother trying to find anything on them, there's basically nothing out there. I don't think it was the kind of work that gets medals or anything. But he was on this team with Ophelia Distani and Jessica Miles. Those names don't mean anything to you, I know, but I bet Revolver and Carbine might. Iron Sight probably doesn't mean a whole lot though. That was dad.

They were the only ones from Shardflight to come back home again, but not all of dad really came back. I was pretty young but even I could tell he wasn't the same as before. I don't really know what he had to do for the special operations, but it was bad and it changed him. I mean, Ophelia and Jessica are still around and look at what they're doing you know? And if anything he was hanging in there a bit longer because he was trying his hardest to look after me. Dad tried like hell but he didn't last long on his own.

So yeah, Ophelia pretty much came out of nowhere to take me in after dad died. Jessica was already super deep in her Carbine thing but she was there with us too, they pretty much co-parented. From the way they tell it the three of them were tighter than family after all they had gone through in Shardflight and swore to always be there for each other. Which since they couldn't carry through with dad, they made good on with me.

Hey, at least she was in Halcyon City and not god drat Seoul. By default that made her better than Dad's first wife.

• When and why did you choose to train with them?

Why? Revolver and Carbine are impossible badasses. That's just an objective fact, they're world class experts at what they do. Who wouldn't want to train with them? I started out as a little girl who hadn't ever thrown a punch or seen a gun before, and now I can match it with most assholes the Spiderweb have out on the streets. It's been hard, and it's only gotten harder. And they don't go easy on me, everything hurts almost every day. But being able to recover from crippling pain and fatigue was one of the first things that saved my life, so I learnt to not question anything years ago.

Exactly when though, that's a bit tougher. It's not like immediately after dad died I wanted to follow in his footsteps. I was feeling way too raw for anything like that. And with two total strangers who supposedly knew dad? Wasn't going to happen. But I suppose it was part of the healing process that after living with Ophelia and Jessica for a little while, we started to open up to each other. I got exposed to what they really did at night, and what their lives were before when they knew dad. It boiled down to mom asking if I was in or out. And obviously I'm here today.

• Why did they agree to train you?

They owed it to dad to look after me, which got my foot in the door. But honestly? I think that me training and supporting them in the field was a more palatable option for them both than one stopping to protect and raise me in a totally civilian way. Now I know it might sound like I'm saying I'm less important to them than bringing down the Spider or the Carlotti, but I'm not saying that. It's just they both take their responsibility to the city deadly seriously. It's not something they can just drop, not even if it was for me or for dad.

But beside domestic issues, they've both told me having back-up and support helps them a lot. I can spot for Revolver while Carbine is hitting a front business somewhere, or provide fire support for them both when they're assaulting a money laundering transport. Maybe three people works best for them, like how they operated with dad. I didn't often take the front lines until recently, but it seems like I've passed whatever test it was that graduated me from support to active. I've got their trust to do my own thing unsupervised as well, when I can fit that into everything else. Just since there has been the argument though, just somehow I've managed to find the time.

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

Carbine was pretty much there with me from the first time I fired a gun. She showed me my first joint lock. Hell, she taught me about half of what I know. It's not that she's better than Revolver, they just focus and excel in different areas. It's what makes them such a great team, and I'm getting the best of them both. Naturally they both take issue with how the other teaches me, but I think I'm better for it.

Of course, ever since Carbine took that deal from Helldrake Syndicate we haven't been on speaking terms. Or, Revolver and Carbine haven't been on speaking terms and I'm caught in the middle. Carbine has always been a bit more pragmatic about our situation, if she needs to cease fire against one side to kill the others then she will take it. But mom is such an absolutist, agreeing to any concession made Carbine as bad as the bent cops and bribed officials. And I…

…I just don't want to get involved. I have to deal with so much divisive dangerous poo poo every single day the last thing I want is to come home to my family shouting at each other too. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong, I don't care. Both of them mean too much to me.

Revolver doesn’t share a lot from her time in Shardflight; and Carbine always refused to ever talk to me about it. But I’ve read one or two of the operations reports Revolver has on the system, ones where dad was front and centre, and I know they accomplished amazing things together. Even after the team ceased operations and everything that happened with dad, Revolver and Carbine were one of the only effective forces that have ever actually done anything to hinder the Spiderweb. And they won't ever give up.

That’s the power and the impact that a team that works together effectively can have. It doesn't matter if nobody knows who we are or what we're doing. We can do the hard, impossible fights that the rest of Halcyon City is too tired to do anymore. Take the hits so that when we win, the city has a chance of being normal again. We’re never going to reach the level my dad was at, but if we even come close then the Spiderweb doesn’t stand a chance.

I can't wear cute camis at school anymore without showing off my bullet wound. That sucks. And if I screw up and take buckshot in the vest? That's no bikini season for me. Such sacrifices I make for the safety of Halcyon City. You know what though, for real? I kinda envy people who can be happy being just that vapid. Just, able to live thinking about clothes and school and all those stupid little choices about what pizza to order or what movie to go see that doesn't matter to anybody. I can't.

If I wanted to, though? It's normal to join the marines, or the army, or whoever. You can tell people you've enlisted. But this stuff? 'Hey, I'm doing this vigilante justice thing with my two moms to topple the mob boss tyrant who owns the whole city. And after that man is shot dead, continue the crusade until all the various mobster and triad influences are purged from the city. Standing here right now, I'm thinking about egress points, blind spots, and there's a little paranoid voice in the back of my head telling me every person who walks through that door might just be a hitman who has figured out who I really am.' Who can I ever share any of that with?

It's lonely. I wish I could just care about stupid fashion.

"So-eun?”

After her name is called a hand is placed on her shoulder, and So-eun is brought back to reality. She had been lost in thought since the car ride home, drifting through the evening up to now on a gentle cloud of reminiscence. And she is so startled that those those callipers in her hand drop right to the floor. "poo poo! Sorry." So-eun blurts out, managing to knock a couple brass casings off the reloading bench in the process.

The minor mess seems to amuse Revolver more than anything, who keeps her firm hand on Bullpup’s shoulder to stop the young woman from scrambling after what she had dropped. “Relax.” She orders, looking down at So-eun with a patient smile. "If you can't focus then save it for tomorrow. Do a job right or not at all.” She repeats the tried and true mantra. “I don’t handload as a time consuming way to jam my guns, you know.”

“Yeah. Okay.” So-eun relents with a sigh, pushing her chair out and getting up. “I guess three gun today took more out of me than I reckoned.” She acknowledges, ending her thought with a big yawn. “You did good, kid. The Spiderweb won’t know what hit ‘em.” Revolver eases up on her grip to instead pull So-eun in for a tight hug. “Go get some sleep, yeah?”

“G’night mom.”

The Protégée posted:

Name: Ha So-eun (Undercover look)
Hero Name: Bullpup (Mission look) (Alt. look)
Look: Woman, Asian, Athletic body, Fashionable clothes, Protective wear

Shared Ability: Weapons and gadgets
Own Ability: Impossible fighting skills
Mentor’s Ability: Intimidation and fear

Mentor: Revolver (Mission look)
Embodies: Superior
Denies: Saviour

Labels:
Danger +0
Freak +0
Saviour +1
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Moves:
Been reading the files
You’ve learned about the criminal world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important criminal phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Venting frustration
When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.

Fireside chat
When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Mentor’s Resources: A hidden base, communicators, surveillance equipment

Moment of Truth:
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add a Team to the pool.

When our team first came together…
We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?

Relationships:
You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influences:
Choose your demeanour: playful or business.
If you choose playful, give Influence to two teammates.
If you choose business, give Influence to no teammates.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 11, 2019

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

"And in the red corner, weighing 127 pounds... She hails from Halcyon City-" There's a scratching sound as the recording skips, half frozen while the other plays jaggedly, then it continues, "She is, the national lightweight champion, last years Silver Medalist, here for next attempt at the Olympic Gold, Rinn O'Sullivan, the CRIMSON COMET!! Stepping forward, a woman with bright red hair and wide green eyes steps forward as the crowd goes wild, raising her gloves to the air-

"Dear, turn that off, how many times do I have to tell you?" Ah, poo poo. "SORRY MOM!" Yelling back from my cramped bedroom, I hastily pause the video - I thought I had that turned down enough.

"And come help set the table, dinner's ready."

"OKAY!" Giving the frozen image of my mother one more look, I slap the lid on my beaten up laptop down and get off my bed. I didn't mean for her to be able to hear that... Letting out a sigh, I duck into the bathroom for a second, turning the water on and looking into the mirror. My own bright green eyes look back from my reflection, the same as hers. With a quick shake of my head, I slap my cheeks lightly with both hands, turn the water off without using it, and head into the kitchen looking bright and perky again. No point making her feel worse.

--------------

How did you gain your skills?
Oh, that's easy! You couldn't tell now, but, my mom was a pretty famous boxer you know, the Crimson Comet. Two top five placements, one Silver Medal and one Olympic Gold, and plenty of more local titles. If you don't believe me, I can show you the trophies and the medals. I keep them in a box under my bed - she doesn't know about it, I saved them from the tras- But, I watched her train before I could read, and I helped out as soon as I could, refilling her water bottle, get her a fresh towel, that sort of thing. When I got a little older, she helped me spot for her, and then she started to train me, instead of just what I could pick up from watching her. In all those years sparing, I never once beat her either, except... well, I never beat her.

The other skills? Let's get back to that later.

When did you first put on your costume?
Technically? I was trying to come up with a signature look that wasn't cribbing too hard off my mom's style for when I went pro. I wanted to live up to her legacy, but not just be the same person, when I got to the Olympics. The Star, Comet, connection, without really being that close together was a good idea, I think, and when I stitched the patch on her old jacket and took a look in the mirror, I knew it was right. I mean, it's pretty stylish, isn't it? The Star stands out, nice and bold, and no one else really does something like that - it's not like she had a comet logo, or anything. I never got to wear it out though, and then...

When I decided I couldn't just sit around, and I had to do something, it was there, waiting for me. Put it on, tie a bandanna over my mouth, people see the Star, not the face. Well, mostly they see my fists, but, if they're looking. The first time I wore it out was, two months ago now, I think? About that. It went... okay. I was trained by the best, but after my first few fights on the street... I knew I couldn't cut it. A good boxer can bring fists to a knife fit and win, and maybe, maybe bring them to a gun fight and make it out. And I'm good - trained by the best - but fighting a Helldrake goon isn't quite like a fight in the ring. They're not as good, but don't have rules either. I've been getting into fights at school to cover up the injuries. Putting a pin in this.

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn't be a superhero?
My mom, for one, but she doesn't actually know about it. She'd go ballistic, or have a nervous break-down. I... don't want to find out which. But, she's not going to know. She's been checked out ever since,

But neither does Mr. Fujimoto. At the repair shop? His younger brother was Mom's trainer - her real trainer, not kid me. I haven't told him either, but I'm sure he knows, why else would he think I asked for the keys to the old gym? He mostly uses it to store spare parts now, but it still had the place to hook up a punching bag and the rest of the stuff I need to practice out of the way. Mom thinks I'm helping him work for some spare cash, and I do help out a little bit, but mostly it's practice. He lets me do it, but whenever no one else is around and we're working on a car together, he tells me not to stick my neck out, or I'll end up like his brother, or Mom. He's the one who told me about the people who're starting to get powers and fight back, let them handle it, he said. I haven't told him I'm actually going out there, but he knows, I'm sure.

How did you gain your skills, what did you do after your first few fights?
Right, this works. Like I said, I knew I couldn't cut it, but I couldn't just stop either. Mr. Fujimoto told me people were getting powers, so instead of picking fights, I spent about a month looking and listening, and I had what I was looking for. Someone was buying a single vial of the "Elixir". And when they did, I dropped them with a right hook, grabbed the vial and ran for it. I was hoping I could get super strength, or teleportation, eye beams, like comic book kind of things. Instead... it's useful, but, phasing wasn't exactly what I had in mind? I can't beat anyone I couldn't already, but if someone pulls a gun on me at least I can run away without worrying about being shot. It does make it easy to sneak out of the house. I haven't told Mr. Fujimoto about this either.

Why do you try to be a hero?
It's the right thing to do.

I want my future back.

I want to help people. This isn't the kind of world we're supposed to be in. When I look around at Koreatown... Everyone - almost everyone - is so caring, we look out for each other, so why is this what we live in?

It's satisfying. It's dangerous, I know, but... fun! There's a thrill of course, but also, I trained so hard growing up, and when my mom said I couldn't follow her and be a boxer, what did that leave me? This is the perfect way to use my skill and make the world better, and I love it. Beating up the people who hurt my family, my friends and my neighbors...

I want revenge. I guess I should tell you why now, instead of dodging around it.

My mom was the Crimson Comet, champion boxer. From Koreatown neighborhood in Halycon City. Can you see the problem? It was alright when she wasn't such a big name. The Spider left her alone, and she wasn't going around looking for trouble either. Just wanted to raise a happy little family. And then she got the Silver Medal. That put her in a spotlight around here, The Spider wanted her in his web, the Helldrakes wanted her as hired muscle, she turned them both down. Bit of extra money kept them happy enough, and then she got Gold. That's when the recruiters really put the heat on. Still, money from doing ads with her medal were enough to pay them off still... for a bit. Eventually, they noticed the other side trying to bring her in, and one group or the other, I don't know which, thought she'd go the other way. It was probably getting off easy, comparatively, all they did was break her fingers. Bad. They've healed enough that she can use them again, but she'll never be able to fight again. That, along with Hiroto's brother vanishing broke her. Mom won't let me train or box even as a sport, because she thinks they'd want to recruit me. She works as a cashier now, keeping her head down. I hate it. Them.

What kind of question is this? They're my team! We've got each others back, and we're all out there, for one reason or another, trying to make this city a better place. I don't get along with all of them, but, we're all in this together, and most of them are pretty fun to hang out with too. Even if they all got better powers than I did.

The Beacon posted:

Hero Name: Lucky Star

Look: woman, white, smiling face, casual clothing, stylish costume

Abilities: martial arts (boxing), phasing

Moves
Won’t let you down: When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the Team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Drives
Choose four drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take Influence over someone involved. When your four marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark four new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon of the city
❑ lead the team successfully in battle
❑ kiss someone dangerous
❑ punch someone you probably shouldn’t
❑ help a teammate when they most need you
❑ take down a threat all on your own
❑ outperform an adult hero
❑ pull off a ridiculous stunt
❑ save a teammate’s life
❑ get drunk or high with a teammate
❑ drive a fantastical vehicle
❑ get a new costume
❑ get a new hero name
❑ earn the respect of a hero you admire
❑ make out with a teammate
❑ punch out a teammate
❑ break up with someone
❑ stop a fight with calm words
❑ tell someone your true feelings for them
❑ travel to an incredible place (or time)
❑ reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here”

Labels
Danger -1
Freak -1
Savior +3
Superior +0
Mundane +2

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships
____________________ is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You’ve got to prove yourself to_____________________ before you feel like a real hero.

Influence
Influence on Me: Wraith, Prototype, Black Widow
Influence I have: Wraith, Black Widow

GodFish fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 17, 2019

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

I've got a Delinquent going in here.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Black Widow, the Scion

After Spider sent his message, Helldrake Syndicate probably won't target you to get at him again. But who's still mad at you for what he did to the enforcers?

If you want to get the respect of Dai Ushi and Carbine, what do you intend to do about their current fragile arrangment?

Luca Carlotti, the head of the Carlotti crime family, reached out and made an offer to you. What was it and how did you respond?

Mimic, the Janus:

Money is good - but getting your kid into a prestigious school in a good neighboorhood? In the Spiderweb that's going to take more then money. What else did your mom have to do to get you in?

When you hang out with Luke, what do the two of you do? How does he react if you're unable to meet up?

Which important student at your school has taken an interest in you?

Chloe Jones, the Delinquent:

What is the lab Doctor Tachibana working for planning on doing? Are they testing the Titan's Elixer on more people or is it just you for now?

What do the people of Koreatown believe about you? Is it true?

Who among the Helldrake Syndicate have you pissed off and why?

Prototype, the Protoge:

What are some great things Brass accomplished before he made the Titan Elixer?

Your granddad talks alot about his plans and how he intends to change Halcyon City. What about it worries you?

Who from Rooks Industries has been around, trying to find if there's anything of value to them? How have you kept them away so far?

Aries, the Bull:

What have you heard about what Cronos is up now?

What's your parent's reaction to you going out and fighting crime? It's probably hard for you to hide it, since you're not very subtle.

Who from the Helldrake Syndicate helped you out when there was someone victimizing the homeless?

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Aries, the Bull

quote:

What have you heard about what Cronos is up now?
So I was reading the local news--it's really the only place to hear about crime around here--and that bastard broke out of prison! Well not prison. Okay, so like I said I tore their little club house to the ground and apparently that isn't good for "preserving evidence"or whatever. The only charge that stuck was kidnapping me, and even that got busted down to unlawful confinement because the guy is obviously crazy. So instead of getting hard time in prison they just stuck him in a psych ward.

Maybe I didn't give him enough credit. He might be smarter than he looks or maybe he's got his own abilities, because he convinced a nurse and an orderly to help him escape. They caught the orderly but the other two got away. I guess he got into their heads and convinced them they were destined to become divine vessels, which is total bull, but that means he might have more Titan Elixir stashed away.

quote:

What's your parent's reaction to you going out and fighting crime? It's probably hard for you to hide it, since you're not very subtle.
I mean, I don't throw it right up in their faces or anything. I don't bring the mask into the house and I always call Mom to say I'm studying or going to the gym. Sometimes it's even true. Can't really deny what I've been doing when my clothes are always torn up though. Mom's just worried that there's somebody tougher out there and I'm going to get hurt, but come on. It would probably take a howitzer to give me a black eye. It's not like I'm taking on an alien invasion. They're just punk dealers and gang toughs. Kim is always getting on my case though. "You're breaking the law. You're going to cause trouble with the cops." Like the cops do anything around here. If they cared about crime in Koreatown I wouldn't have anything to do.

quote:

Who from the Helldrake Syndicate helped you out when there was someone victimizing the homeless?
Tammy Moon. She goes to school with the rest of us, well when she isn't skipping, but she is in deep with the Helldrakes. Tattoos and all of it. No abilities, I'm one hundred percent sure she would kick my butt. Totally a stone-cold badass. poo poo, I would probably like her if it weren't for all the gang stuff. Anyway, she helped me out a while back, but I don't think she meant to.

There's this piece of crap named Reggie who likes to cause trouble in the neighborhood. Him and his boys are always figuring out new ways to get their hands on some money they don't deserve, and last time they went too far. I heard he was making some rounds shaking down homeless people for the money they got panhandling and that just set me right off. You can't get much lower than that. Anyway, I ask around to figure out where Reggie was living at and I guess Tammy was doing the same thing because we practically got to his front door at the same time. She said she was there for the same reason I was, but I don't think she cared that Reggie was ripping off homeless people. I think the Helldrakes just didn't like anybody else hustling in their territory and she got tapped to deal with it. Doesn't really matter. We had the same goal at the time so we might as well help each other out. I rammed down the door and it was on. Reggie and his boys got a little fight in them, but they're mostly the type who want to bully, not be bullied. Honestly though, they didn't get much of a chance. We ripped the place up (mostly me) and gave all of them a solid beating (mostly her). They must have all split town because I haven't heard about them since. It was a pretty kick-rear end afternoon, but I don't think Tammy and I are friends or anything.

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 9, 2019

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Heliotrope posted:

Mimic, the Janus:
Money is good - but getting your kid into a prestigious school in a good neighboorhood? In the Spiderweb that's going to take more then money. What else did your mom have to do to get you in?

She gave up everything. She used to be a successful Lawyer. But no one wanted to touch her after Dad- They made threats. So she sold the house, the car, her jewellery, her perfumes, all her nice clothes, she even sold her hair. Then she took up work as a cleaner. But the management is terrible. I think she's taken up drinking as well... I keep finding bottles. Now we're living in a dingy flat. The electricity keeps going out. And I'm pretty sure there's rat living in the walls. I'm trying not to worry. Trying to put money back into the house. But it's hard watching someone you love get torn down by the system like this.

quote:

When you hang out with Luke, what do the two of you do? How does he react if you're unable to meet up?

I'm pretty sure he wants us back together. He always loved toying with me, even when we were together. So now we "hang out" got to movies. Wander around the shopping centres. Visit arcades. He's clearly trying to remind me of all the good times we had together. I don't buy it. Because when I can't make it, then he starts sending some more... threatening texts, you know? Like "Oh, I can't believe a heroine would be so selfish to stand someone up." or what about the classic "It would be horrible if someone found out your real identity! What if they came after me?" rear end in a top hat, the only bond we've got is the one in your head. Guess I'll just have to keep playing his game for the moment. I can't take the risk of him actually releasing my identity, or doing something stupid like getting himself in trouble with the Spiders. I bet he'd love for me to come to save him, begging and crying on my knees.

Maybe if I waited for them to break his knees....

No, no I can't. Stupid morals.

quote:

Which important student at your school has taken an interest in you?

I-Interest? In me? W-What are you saying? That's clearly ridiculous! I mean... oh, ohh, you don't mean "interested" you mean like "Interested". Sorry.

That would be Suzzi Habyenero. Suzzi is a contentious young lady with a mean streak a mile wide. Of course she's got her own clique of girls who's soul existance is to make mine way harder then it needs to be. Guess I did something to annoy her. Because I've caught her snooping around the labs. At first I thought she was trying to prank me. But now I wonder if she suspects me...? Hmmm... I have no idea, but I can't help but wonder if someone encouraged her to start investigating. Someone who's name rhymes with "Puke"

Unless I've messed up somewhere and she's caught onto it. Crap, I really don't need this as well.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 10, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Heliotrope posted:

Prototype, the Protege:
What are some great things Brass accomplished before he made the Titan Elixir?

In his work for Rook he developed a number of important vaccines, as well as an easy-to-use insulin level test for diabetics. And he did some fairly important academic work that went on to be used as the basis for an epilepsy treatment. There's a scholarship that Rook pays out for disadvantaged kids to go through medical school which he was very heavily involved in as well. As a vigilante he did manage to bring down a street gang (called the Wolf Brothers or something stupid and macho like that) that were selling stolen experimental drugs by figuring out where they were getting the chemicals from and the equipment they needed, and when the police failed to act on the information he burned down their lab. Probably saved some lives from ODing there, but that was like 30 years ago and it's not like there's any shortage of gangs selling drugs now.

Heliotrope posted:

Your granddad talks a lot about his plans and how he intends to change Halcyon City. What about it worries you?

He called the Spiderweb a 'cancer'. Not in the general sense of a disease, but really specifically malignant cell growth. You want to know why that bugs me? You don't treat cancer with antibiotics or by giving the patient two aspirin and having them call in the morning. You cut cancer out. You blast it with radiation. You poison the patient, and sometimes the cancer dies first. You don't heal, you destroy and hope the collateral damage is acceptable. He wants a new wave of vigilantes to take down crime, but he doesn't seem concerned that people might get hurt in the process. Or that the city might get burned down.

Heliotrope posted:

Who from Rooks Industries has been around, trying to find if there's anything of value to them? How have you kept them away so far?
Well, Rosa Rook was at Pop's funeral. Just to pay respects, but she looked more angry than upset, like the 'deceased' had cost her something important. Afterwards she was all smiles and condolences, but I did feel like she was looking at me a lot. One of her PAs is a guy called Lance Maris, and he's been super keen to track down all of the Brilliant Trust disbursements (pretty sure that's illegal, and the lawyers are holding them off) and tried to get me to come and do an 'internship' with Rook, presumably so I could get access to Poppa Bryce's old papers for them. Or so they could suck my blood out and try to squeeze the elixir from it, depending on how much they already know. Brass hasn't been super forthcoming about that, or how the elixir got on the street for that matter. I've sort of been able to fob them of by saying I don't want a free ride because of my pops, but that excuse has to sound pretty thin by now.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 9, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Heliotrope posted:

What is the lab Doctor Tachibana working for planning on doing? Are they testing the Titan's Elixer on more people or is it just you for now?

I think it ties into my negation powers. They wanted a countermeasure in case any Elixir fell into the wrong hands, a way to neutralize rogue metahumans. Hence why Tachibana is so keen on me going out and doing the whole vigilante thing. She's really not a good guardian, huh? Their plans beyond that are pretty much a mystery to me. I'm not even entirely sure how many test subjects there were. I'm pretty sure I was the only one.

quote:

What do the people of Koreatown believe about you? Is it true?

They seem to think I'm working for one of the syndicates, as an enforcer. Makes sense to think, since, y'know, I go after the mooks and goons. They flip flop between being real accommodating to me in fear of gang retribution and distrustful since I'm probably drawing a lot of activity. Of course it's not true. I guess just because I don't have a lame costume and a dumb codename, I'm some kinda criminal. Why do people trust the ones hiding their identities more than the open ones? Isn't transparency good?

quote:

Who among the Helldrake Syndicate have you pissed off and why?

"Ah, son of a bitch, not you again! Leave me alone already, you brat!"

Julius Park is one of the Helldrake's moneymen, and a pretty accomplished conman in his own right, though he's such a dweeb I can't imagine anyone getting duped by him. I've stepped into enough of his little schemes and scams that he's started bringing undercover muscle along, fat load of good it does him. Though you know how insulting it is as a vigilante to have a dingus in a suit and tie declare you his archrival? Am I that lame?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If Mr. Skulk can see you, he'll walk home with you from school
He will not make you wait too long, although he can be cruel...
On rooftops and in gutters he will follow whisper-quiet
This tracking is his exercise; his quarry is his diet

Pretty good, uh? I came up with it myself, and scrawled it in the bathroom of Grigori Strainford Subway Station. I checked the Internet about a week ago, and Googled bits of it, and it's been making the rounds in a couple of conspiracy and paranormal forums. Hopefully it will get mainstream soon. I can't exactly go in the Internet cafè often - I go there hidden in a huge raincoat and hat, and I look so suspicious, I'm pretty sure the workers there think I'm some old pervert looking at porn.
I'm trying to become an urban legend, you know? Like the hook-handed man or Bloody Mary. Get sighted just enough that my description gets consistent (people hearing you scatter up a wall and catching a glimpse of you clambering on the roof aren't the most reliable eyewitnesses) , and give the neighborhood from Stanford Station to Kobawoo House a reputation for being haunted. Then hopefully both the Hellkites and those Spiderweb creeps will stop coming here and leave us alone. Leave me alone.

quote:

Who were you before?
..kind of a dick move to act like my old life is dead and gone, guy. Just because I haven't talked to them in a while because of, well. Because of my situation, doesn't mean that I've cut contact with them forever. I'm just not...ready now.

Anyway. My name is Zane Lucero. My mom is a lunch lady at my school; my dad is a night guard at Rooks Industries. I have a little sister, who's just starting high school. When I can, I try to check on them. They're...fine. It's clear that they miss me, and Linda clearly hasn't given up on searching for me, but... they're fine.

I just can't bring myself to show myself to them like this, you understand? It's... look, what else do you want to know?

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?
It's been little more than a month. As for what caused it, it's these two idiots here:

Hyun-Ae and Hyun-Ki, a couple of two bit thugs always coming up with some crazy scheme to impress their higher ups in the Spiderweb and 'make it big'. They were considered more of a nuisance than a danger around these parts, but, well.
Somehow, they got their hands on some Titan, but they weren't sure about the source. From what I heard from the trunk after they kidnapped me, they thought it hadn't been properly stored or something. So they tested it out on me.

Yeah. Human testing on a child from a poor family, who the police wasn't going to search very thoroughly for. A lot more devious than you'd expect from these two.

All of this, I reconstructed later. Back then, I was just trembling with fear, a sack on my head and listening to my captors discuss where to take me, until they pulled it off in some basement and injected the Titan directly in my veins.

And after I changed and those idiots stood there dumbstruck, I ripped off the bonds that were tying me to a chair and I ate them. Yep. I slashed their necks, ripped shreds of meat off of them with my bare teeth and, when I was done, buried them in the courtyard like a dog. I was half-crazed with pain from the transformation, but honestly? They deserved it.

Zane is lying. In truth, Hyun-Ae and Hyun-Ki ran away in a panic when he began to mutate and scream in agony. Zane is just trying to start a rumor that Mr. Skulk is a cannibal so he'll sound scarier.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?
Well, I don't know if I'd go that far, but...
You know Sang Chung? The owner of the Sadawoo House? Well, I've been hanging around lately there lately, and...

Okay, I sleep in the alley nearby, but I also have been hanging around there. Anyway, since I've been there, there have been less Hellkite and Spiderweb thugs in his place, and I'm pretty sure he knows why. He leaves me little dishes of food out there, sometimes, in front of my alley, and then he sits on the bench that's sort of to the side, and listens to me scarfing down mutton or chicken with rice. I assume he doesn't mind the sounds I make when I eat. I've been working on sounding less gross anyway.
It's nice. We even started talking recently. He tells me about his day and I make snarky comments about the rude customers he gets. It'smanna from heaven for people in the service industry. He also asks me how I'm doing and stuff. He's worried about me, poor guy. Like he doesn't have enough crap to deal with.

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?
You know, I actually considered that a bunch of times. Why not just hide away, cultivate my urban legend persona, and survive in peace? But something always drags me back. I overhear about a robbery, or a shopkeeper having trouble keeping up with protection rates, and I can't help myself. I just gotta pay them a 'visit'. There is something extremely satisfying in hearing hardened gangsters scream like children. One time this one guy from the Hellkites ran out of her house in her pajamas! Ah, good times, good times.

quote:

I'm not exactly swimming in friends over here, buddy. I am more than willing to pal up with anyone who can handle the way I look now. Plus, you know, Koreatown kids gotta stick together, right? I mean, who else is going to help us deal with the Spider, uh?

quote:

Who or what did the Spiderweb take from you?
...okay, buddy.
Take a good look at me. No, I'm serious, take it in. See the eyes? See the teeth? See this nasty, smooth skin, that's really easy to keep clean but that also feels like you're petting a cockroach if you touch.
That's the Spiderweb's work. Yeah, the less professional side of the Spiderweb, but the Spiderweb nonetheless. And I don't appreciate you-
Okay, deep breaths.
Sorry.
Anyway, apart from... that. I feel like... ever since the Spider came to power, things have been taking a drastic turn for the worse in my neighborhood. Shops close because people can't afford to pay protection, "undesirables" are chased out of there, and it seems like there is a new shootout every other week. They're slowly killing the place I grew up in. And I won't stand for that.

quote:

Mr. Skulk, the Transformed
Danger +1
Freak +3
Savior +1
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Look: ambigous, black, strange eyes, alien flesh, no costume
Abilities: inhuman might, superhuman sense

Moves:
*Be the monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you frighten others you had not intended to scare
- you hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have
- you feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

*Coming for you: When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

*Wish I could be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Moment of truth
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…
Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 11, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Wraith, the Transformed:

How did Diego manage to gain protection from the Spiders after what he did?

There are rumors floating around about people with powers, even if people don't know exactly what's going on. What's the rumor about you?

You've heard a little about Isabella - what's she doing for the Spiders now?

Yama, the Bull:

Which of the guards who were keeping an eye on you during the month was the worst? Who was the kindest?

Who do you know that is making the same choice you did and joining the Helldrakes?

What made you choose the name Yama?

Bullpup, the Protege:

Do people know that Revolver and Carbine work (or worked) together? How is the current divide between them making things harder on your mission?

Which methods of Revolver do you disagree with?

Who at school have you made friends with, and what are they like?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Heliotrope posted:

Yama, the Bull:
Which of the guards who were keeping an eye on you during the month was the worst? Who was the kindest?

Hwang was the worst, by far. I'm kinda surprised he didn't think to throw the rat... but even feeding me that would have been too kind. He's got this chunk of pipe he always has with him, named it Baby. I've seen Baby break legs before. I got more than a few whacks, a pokes and prods. That wasn't even the worst of it. Hwang is a creepy old dude, I think he's almost 40, but the way he undresses you with his eyes... if Dai Ushi didn't have rules about that, or if he'd convinced the other guy he could guard me alone... I've heard the stories.

I always knew I was at least going to get a decent meal when I saw Won Young. He's younger, used to run with Bobby before he moved up. Always been sweet on me, I went to school with his older sister. Don't get me wrong, he's as tough as any of them, he's just not... unnecessarily cruel. Syndicate business is just that, business.

quote:

Who do you know that is making the same choice you did and joining the Helldrakes?

Ryan and I used to run with this other kid, Lee Woo-Jung. Year younger than us, he was always chasing my heels in kickboxing class. Honestly, if he was the same age, he'd be better than me. Probably not Ryan, but he LIVES there, ya know? Anyway... It's the same poo poo, really. Same as the rest of them. The dry cleaner his mom works at got behind on payments, had an "accidental fire". They needed to make up some money, his dad is already working two jobs... I can't blame him, really. Nobody wakes up saying, "yeah, let's join a gang and do some drugs today!". You get cornered and it's the path of least resistance.

quote:

What made you choose the name Yama?

Mr. Kim is pretty agnostic, but he keeps a bunch of old books around, old stories. While I was healing up, right after I got out, I was stuck inside and bored. I've probably flipped through each of them a dozen times, but a story about Osiris caught my eye. Death and rebirth. Coming back different. But I didn't wanna name myself after some old Egyptian dude, so I started digging through the others. Most of them were pretty boring standard poo poo. But there was a Hindu book that had the story of Yama. He wasn't always a god, he was just some guy. He's became not just the god of death, but also a god of justice, judging those who cross his past. Which is, as the god of death, pretty much everybody.

More importantly, he can fail. There was a priest, Markaneya, who prayed to a statue of his god Shiva for everlasting life. And kept warding off Yama longer and longer and longer, until finally Yama got tired of this old dude not dying. So he grabbed his noose, and roped the old due, the statue, and everything else, and drug them down to hell. But Shiva didn't like his statue being hosed with, so he KICKED YAMA TO DEATH. Yeah, the god of death, got kicked to death.

Well, with no god of death, nobody died. Pretty soon the place got crowded, and Shiva brought Yama back to do his job.

I think I died in that shipping container. At least who I was died. I was brought back, but... victory isn't guaranteed. I've still got a job to do. And there's always somebody bigger, and badder, and meaner out there. All of it just seemed like good lessons to remember.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Heliotrope posted:

Black Widow, the Scion

After Spider sent his message, Helldrake Syndicate probably won't target you to get at him again. But who's still mad at you for what he did to the enforcers?

Well, it turns out that one of the enforcers, Mi-Sun Kyo, had a sister, Sun-Hwa. She lives in a building a couple blocks away. I haven't sat down and talked with her, since, y'know, she thinks I as good as killed her brother, but she's gotta understand that he knew what he was getting into with this Helldrake business. It hasn't escaped me that by the time I'm done, I'm going to have a bunch of people like her up in arms. I'm sorry your brothers and sisters and parents are tied up in organized crime. Really, I am.

That's not going to stop me from beating their faces in and taking back my goddamn neighborhood.

Heliotrope posted:

If you want to get the respect of Dai Ushi and Carbine, what do you intend to do about their current fragile arrangement?

Oh, that's easy. I just gotta give them an opening to hit the Web. The thing most likely to have them turn on each other is a lack of opportunity. I think it's fair to say that Carbine isn't exactly the most patient sort, and if she can't get anything out of the arrangement with Dai Ushi... then poof, it's gone. I'm aiming to keep kicking that can down the road until I've gotten what I need from them. Nobody would ever dare say that they represent the Spider, so if I'm distinct in their eyes... the people will follow suit. I'll just have to win over some of the community leaders along the way, but I don't think that'll be harder than these two.

Heliotrope posted:

Luca Carlotti, the head of the Carlotti crime family, reached out and made an offer to you. What was it and how did you respond?

He wants me on staff. Even outside the fact that me joining up with him might bring benefits and consideration from the Spider, he heard about what I did to the Helldrake heavies. There aren't many with powers, at least that I've seen, and you can't really count on your own talent spontaneously growing... I don't know, mantis arms or something. You gotta recruit from the field if you want people like me.

So when Luca himself invited me to dinner, I knew I needed to handle things carefully. I don't want to be a mafioso thug any more than I want my dad to sweep me away and set me up as some sort of... I dunno, crime princess. Whatever that'd be called in the Web. So, yeah, it was a struggle to defer the offer without offending. I was very gracious in my explanation, I think, including how on the map of the city I'm really close to one of the overlapping Spider/Helldrake zones and... well, you know what that means. I further explained that while the Helldrakes have pulled back for now, there's no guarantee they won't hit me where I sleep if I take a side. I made it about the situation, not what I wanted.

I kept his card, though. Maybe it's going to take some of the wrong kinds of friends to make the right kind of changes.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Nightwitch, the Reformed:

What do your friends think of your new ways?

What does the neighborhood watch make of vigilantes, including you?

Which crime lord did the survivors of your gang sign up with?

Mr. Skulk:

What do you plan to do if Hyun-Ae and Hyun-Ki show up after you supposedly ate them?

Who from the Helldrake Syndicate is riling up the others to hunt for you after you scared them?

You've managed to spread rumors around, but who has taken to coming into Koreatown specifically to look for and find evidence of you?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Heliotrope posted:

Wraith, the Transformed:

How did Diego manage to gain protection from the Spiders after what he did?

The only reason why Diego isn't lying in a pool of his own blood in some ditch somewhere... is because he sold out his own brother.

I never liked Diego. He was always a try hard shitheel who thought he was bigger than he actually was. He'd do anything to weasel his way out of a situation, and that includes giving up his own blood. I found out, much later, that his older brother, Jaime, works for the Spiders, and Diego got that weird drink from him. His brother had been secretly taking things from the Spiders, and selling them to the Helldrakes. Or at least, he was, until Diego ratted him out. I've got no idea what happened to his older brother, but Diego's now doing the work his brother used to do, acting as one of their runners, whether he likes it or not.

quote:

There are rumors floating around about people with powers, even if people don't know exactly what's going on. What's the rumor about you?

There's rumors going around the neighborhood about the Night Wraith; A terrifying, undead creature that came back from the dead to get revenge on all those who wronged it, with eyes, as black as the darkest night, sickly purple skin, and claws that are sharper than knives. They say it comes out during the dead of night, hunting for it's next prey, and if it catches you, it will suck the very soul away from your body, until you're nothing but an empty husk. Once it locks it's empty, soulless eyes on you, there is no escape. All those that are seen by it are marked, and it won't stop chasing you, not until it's claimed your very soul. If it sees you... then all you can do is pray to God for a quick, merciful death.

...Or that's what they say. It doesn't take a genius to know that they're talking about me. They're right about the eyes, claws, and skin part, but I'll be damned if I know where the rest came from. It's bad enough that my appearance causes folks to freak out, but now everybody in the neighborhood thinks I'm some sorta soul-sucking monster now, too. Great. Like my life wasn't hard enough already.

quote:

You've heard a little about Isabella - what's she doing for the Spiders now?

I heard about it from the old man. He was using his connections to find out whatever he can about Isabella, and according to him, he heard that they've got Isabella working on some new drug, and it's got something to do with the weird drink I had before I "died." If that's true, then that just makes me even more confused. My sister's as straight-laced as they come, so the thought that she's doing something like this, and the fact that she's doing it on her own free will is... it's a little hard to believe. What the hell happened to her while I was gone?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Heliotrope posted:

Do people know that Revolver and Carbine work (or worked) together? How is the current divide between them making things harder on your mission?

I mean, maybe? You'd really have to ask them. We don't publicise anything or make any specific efforts to hide when we work together, if that's what you mean. But when most of the people we come across get shot dead, I think OPSEC around force composition takes a bit of a back seat. Carbine only really got 'famous' because of that time she took out both sides in a Spider-Helldrake shootout outside Kobawoo House, way too many smartphones there. It's entirely possible that the Spiderweb, Helldrake Syndicate, or the Carlotti family have Revolver and Carbine associated as allies. Probably, even. Just as it is with me and both of them.

As for the impact on the mission, random murders are up but coordinated strikes against infrastructure and targeted assassinations are way down. Not being on talking terms means no communication or intel, which hampers any large scale action. And I'm no substitute for Revolver or Carbine. I'm doing my best but Ophelia doesn't even want me seeing Jessica, and off on my own I can't do a tenth of what they can do together. You'd think the benefit to the mob would make mom stop this stupid poo poo, but she's just so drat stubborn sometimes I swear.

Heliotrope posted:

Which methods of Revolver do you disagree with?

I… don't feel like I'm equiped to fairly answer this question. Not that I doubt there's anything to disagree with. But I totally can't be objective about it, even without being family Ophelia taught me everything I know. I've read about the kinds of things Shardflight accomplished, I've been in the field with Revolver and Carbine both and know what they've accomplished. And here I am, having achieved nothing of note at all yet. Who am I to offer serious critique for mom's methods?

I can't do everything she does, though. Mom is way heavier into terror tactics than I am. I'm just not comfortable putting on that kind of front. I haven't earned it and I can't pull it off. When Revolver is threatening you it's like your world is about to end. Bullpup isn't going to threaten anybody. It's easier just to break their nose or shoot them, anyway.

Heliotrope posted:

Who at school have you made friends with, and what are they like?

Nobody.

No I'm not exaggerating, after dad died I pretty much stopped having a social life. I just couldn't relate to any of my friends anymore. Or maybe I was feeling so sorry for myself that I didn't want to have to talk and open up to any of them about it. But they gave me space to breathe and I just let that space grow and grow.

The closest thing I guess would be Sabrina Kay, and that's really all by accident. She goes to my school and it's an open secret she has trouble at home. I, or rather Bullpup, found her a while ago at night have run away from home. Some Spider thugs had got their hands on her and were roughing her up, I got them to stop. Revolver ran me through all the procedures for this kinda thing, I made sure she was safe and had somewhere to be. And since that att school I've gone out of my way to keep an eye on her.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 14, 2019

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Heliotrope posted:

What do your friends think of your new ways?

No matter which set of friends it is, I get an underlying current of pitty.

My old friends, the ones that are still around and will still speak to me, just think I've gone straight - I've been intentionally vague about what I'm up to these days, and it's not as if I go to meet up with them in Nightwitch-branded merch. But when we chill, they hint that I'm washed up. Valeria got beat down, couldn't get back in the ring, ain't that a drat shame, with her potential.

My new friends, around the neighbood, and on the watch, act the same way. They like me - they like anybody who's willing to contribute reliably, really. I haven't told them details about my past, and it's not as if we were a high profile gang that made it on the news. To them I'm just some kid who used to be in a gang, could have done a lot if she'd had a better start, isn't a drat shame, with her potential.

Heliotrope posted:

What does the neighborhood watch make of vigilantes, including you?

Generally not so positive. I'd have thought that, since they don't think much of HCPD, they'd be all for vigilantes. A few are, particularly on the younger side, but they generally see them - us - as a bandaid on the problem, as even less accountable than the police. And they're not *wrong*. I don't report to a review board. I don't have an Internal Affairs Bureau. It's part of why I get results.

Heliotrope posted:

Which crime lord did the survivors of your gang sign up with?

Most of them got pressed into service with Dai Ushi. Not really a peace offering, more a matter of co-opting the locals, like an invading empire. Think Maharajas in British India. A half-dozen of the best smash and grab guys ran off to the White Cobra Gang, fits their wheelhouse and they tend to be less violent. Safecrackers don't really like gun fights. And a few went indy, trying to carve out their own little slices without getting noticed - penny ante corner pusher stuff and protection rackets, for the most part. Hear half of them are dead already.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

quote:

What do you plan to do if Hyun-Ae and Hyun-Ki show up after you supposedly ate them?
Shhh! Keep your voice down, drat it!
As for those two, well... after the mutation incident, one of the first things I did was to go look out for them. And I couldn't find them anywhere. I stalked all the places where the Spider's underlings can usually be found, and even interrogated one in an alley to give me their address. Nothing. Either they went deep into hiding, or they skipped town altogether. That's when I had the idea to spread the rumor that I ate them.

If they do show up again... man, I don't know. I didn't really out for that eventuality. I guess I'll have to hope that my reputation as the local boogeyman will hold the blow.

quote:

Who from the Helldrake Syndicate is riling up the others to hunt for you after you scared them?

Johnny the Axe has reportedly killed at least three people, chopped them up, and left the remains in trash bags that he deposited in front of their homes. His reputation as an enforcer is so brutal and gory, he barely needs to do any enforcing these days. When the Hellkites want someone to negotiate or to intimidate someone, they just send some slimy guy in a suit and have Johnny come along to sneer down the opposition.
Word on the street is, he's got a grudge with Titan-influenced folks. He's probably worried that once more and more people with powers start to show up, he'll be out of a job; so now (without Dai Ushi's permission, I might add) he's rallying the rest of the low-to-middle Hellkite goons, informants and general hanger-ons to... how did he put it? Ah yes, "put that little monster down like the rabid dog he is". What a charmer.
I used to be terrified of him when I was little, and we haven't crossed paths yet, but now... I think I can take him. Probably. I should make sure that I pick the time and place of our fight, though. Just in case.

quote:

You've managed to spread rumors around, but who has taken to coming into Koreatown specifically to look for and find evidence of you?
So you've probably read about conspiracy theorists, right? Crackpots with some crazy idea about who bombed what and why, usually cherry-picking evidence through dozens of unrelated media that supports their opinion instead of the other way around? Well let me introduce you to Tina Foille, whose blog has recently hit its millionth follower and whose latest theory is that all the rumors about people performing superhuman feats come from the same source.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, right?

Anyway, this wouldn't merit anything more than keeping an eye on her blog from time to time but apparently she was seen darting this way and that in Koreatown, taking photos and asking questions. Asking questions about me. This has the potential to be troubling.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Lucky Star, the Beacon:

What happened to your dad? What of his do you still have?

Who did you take the Titan Elixer from, and what are they doing to find you?

What is your mom doing about all the fights you get in at school?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Heliotrope posted:

Lucky Star, the Beacon:
What happened to your dad? What of his do you still have?

Oh, he's fine, just... Well, he and Mom split up ages ago. Almost ten years now? I've never asked him why, and I was too young to really understand when it happened, but I think he wanted more kids, and she wanted to focus on her career, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't planned, which isn't the most fun thing to realize about yourself. They both love me though, I don't have any doubts about that. He lives out of state, remarried and has a couple kids, and I go visit during the summer, he started sending money after Mom's accident to help support us, and Mom kept his name. What do I have of his? Two things! First, I've got his smile! If you hid our hair in a picture, you couldn't tell the difference between them, and he was always more happy isn't quite the right word, but, basically that, about life than she was. And I've got this locket, it's a Celtic Cross, used to belong to his father, and his father, he gave it to me before we left. Inside it has a picture of the three of us, in vacation to... hell, Greece, I think? That was so long ago... But just looking at our grins makes me smile.

Heliotrope posted:

Who did you take the Titan Elixer from, and what are they doing to find you?

...Ah

Yeah.

I thought it was just some no name thug working for the Helldrakes or something, because, lets face it, the meeting was amateur. I overheard it in Mr. Chung's Kobawoo shop, which is one of the last places to do something sure to piss of either group if you belong to work, since they've both got ears there. Anyway, I had surprise on my side and she went down fast, but I found out later she's not usually any easy target. It was Dao Nguyen, the Mad Wolf. She's an anti-Spider vigilante, like us, I guess, though she doesn't touch the Helldrakes, or work for them. No one is really sure what they did to her, but she's had a grudge for years now. Sneaks around at night with her sword and her dogs. They'd be rapid if she didn't have such a firm control over them. She lives in Koreatown deep in Helldrake territory, but operates out of it to hunt down spiders. Now though... she didn't get a great look at me, which has made her search a lot harder, but I've heard she put out a bounty for information with the Helldrakes, and she's been patrolling in their territory now, looking for me. I heard when she finds out about a run I did, she brings her dogs out to try and get my scent, trace me back home. I think I could take her on, I mean, I did once even if it was an ambush, but, those dogs scare me. How do you fight a pack of dogs all going for your throat?

Heliotrope posted:

What is your mom doing about all the fights you get in at school?

Grounding me, mostly. That and giving me sad looks and sighing a lot, which hurts way more. I wish she knew I wasn't just misbehaving, but I can't tell her the truth. I want her to know I haven't given up, and I'm fighting the fight she can't, but I think that'd hurt her, even without what she'd do to me if she found out. So I've just gotta live with being the disappointment and bad girl for now. One day, I'll tell her, when I've made our neighborhood safe again. The last time she even called Dad, which I really didn't expect, and he called me. I didn't tell him the truth, but, I wonder if I should. He might accept it. Or he might tell mom and she might send me to live with him. No. I better not. It's okay though. I can stand getting my internet privileges revoked and I can bear those looks so full of confusion about where she went wrong. For a little longer.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I had to think on this one for a while - all the apps were really good. But in the end, here are the four characters who will go against the Spiderweb:

Black Widow, the Scion, played by Tricky

Lucky Star, the Beacon, played by GodFish

Prototype, the Protege, played by thatbastardken

Wraith, the Transformed, played by Tardzilla

To start, answer your "When the team first came together..." questions. While in the Spiderweb this is more likely to be a shootout between two gangs, the rise of powers means superhuman elements might have shown up as well. But the threat you faced is more something that was a threat to Koreatown, not Halcyon City as a whole. Feel free to discuss what the incident was and possible answers in the discord channel. The order is:

Wraith - "We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?"

Prototype - "We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?"

Lucky Star - "We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?"

Black Widow - "Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who? Why?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Relationships:

quote:

Lucky Star is the only one who understands what I’m going through; I told them which part of me I wished was more like my parent.

Yeah, I guess there are some things I can respect about the guy. First? He's driven. No matter what gets in his way, he made his (admittedly crazy) vision of what the city should be a reality. Second, he protects what's his. Not well and not always, mind, but the intent is there. I don't know about running a crazy organization like the Web or what it does for him, psychologically speaking, but I can at least respect those bits.

quote:

My parent's goons once fought and thrashed Wraith; I’ve got to find a way to make it up to them.

The Spider's taken from us all, but I've heard about what happened to her and hers. Maybe it's dumb that I feel a little responsible for it, like I've ever had a choice in who my dad is or what he does, but I do. She didn't deserve that. Nobody does.

Influence:

quote:

This team may be the key to proving you’re different from your parent, but you don’t want to be defined by your peers, either. Give Influence to 2 teammates.

Naturally, Lucky Star and Wraith.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 18, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

edit: moving this stuff into player order

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 16, 2019

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Besides the Russian mob coming in to burn down a building in Helldrake territory? That would have been bad enough, but while we were getting people out of the burning building, I phased through a wall and instead of ending up in the next room, someone had built it between the walls, there wasn't a door out - at least not a normal one. I didn't have time to figure out where it was, or how they were getting in and out, but I did see what was in it... There was a lab setup there, full of Elixir. Or, attempts at making an Elixir. None of it quite had that strange off green sheen the stuff I took had, but that might have been the fire light. I would have grabbed some so someone (Mae) could test and see if they'd managed it, but the whole place was up like gasoline. But it means the mob knew what they were doing when they targeted this place, and the Helldrakes (probably) are trying to mass produce it... I don't want to think about that.

Relationships
Prototype is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
Oh my god, she has a suit of power armor. And a secret base. And, and, just, have you seen her? Have you met her? God, it's so cool. She's like a real superhero, from a comic. And the best part? She works with Mr. Fujimoto too, so I see her around a lot, even though we aren't in class. Really the best part is her armor, and personality, and base.

You’ve got to prove yourself to Black Widow before you feel like a real hero.
I don't know how I feel about her, she's... kind of terrifying, but she's opened up to me, but she's the Spider's daughter, but she's fighting him, but I don't know if I can trust her... End the in, if she of all people think's I'm a hero, I've gotta be, right? No matter what side she's on, she'd know.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.
That's everyone!

GodFish fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 17, 2019

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

quote:

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

What a goddamn mess.

A coupla people from the Russian Mob marched their way to town, wanting to settle a score with the Helldrakes, and apparently that means burning down one of their buildings. It didn't take long for all hell to break loose, and soon enough it turned into a four-way clusterfuck with the Russians, Helldrakes, the fire, and us in the middle of it all. We were fighting both gangs, and the fire, at the same time, and lemme tell ya, it wasn't easy. We fought them off, and got folks out of the building, but we couldn't stop the fire in time, and the whole place ended up burning down.

We did what we could, but that's apparently not enough for some people. There are some out there that think that all we did was made things worse, and one of those folks is Nelson Ironside, one of the few clean cops in the city. He blames us for the fire, says we escalated the situation, and put countless innocent lives in danger. He says we're about as bad as the Spiders and the Helldrakes. Maybe if he took his head out of his rear end for a few seconds, he'd see we were trying to help, but whatever. Not like I care about what some drat cop thinks about us.

Relationships

quote:

Lucky Star comforted you when you were at your lowest.

The others, they can't understand what I'm going through. They're not a freak, like me. They don't have to worry about being treated like some sorta monster. But Lucky, she tried. She tried to understand. Didn't matter how much I tried to shut her out, she still kept trying, and I... just gave in. I told her about all my worries, and my sister, and all the other poo poo I was going through. I don't even know why. Maybe I just really needed someone to talk to, and she was the only one who was willing to listen. She still couldn't understand, but taking with her... helped. Made me feel a little less... numb.

quote:

Prototype knew you before you changed.

I sure as hell never expected to run into Mae while I was at Mr. Fujimoto's garage. I knew her from school- back when I actually bothered to go, anyways. We hung out a few times, and she was cool. Never expected to see her again after my change, and I especially never expected her to show up in a suit of power armor. Where the hell did she get something like that from?

Influence

quote:

You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Giving it to Lucky Star.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?

Yeah, that first meeting was a bit of a mess, and maybe this team isn't the one Brass would have wanted me to form. But you know what? With civilian lives on the line and caught in the crossfire of a gang war we worked together and did a hell of a job. Going room to room and rescuing people from a burning building while protecting them from stray gunshots (and taking the opportunity to thrash a few Helldrakes) could have been a disaster, and any one of us would have failed alone. But working together felt as right as anything has since...hell, since I can remember. And the others must have felt the same way, because when the cops arrived to sweep up the mess and we ran, we all went in the same direction. Once we were done running and finished introductions I hooked them up with these encrypted communicators that Brass and I developed which mostly piggyback off the cellphone system but can also use a frequency hopping RF or satellite hookup if they need to, because some parts of the city get like, no service (Hi, Koreatown docks. Yeah I'm talking poo poo about you.) and because Whatsapp isn't secure against [technobabble].

Relationships posted:

You and Wraith teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.

Esmeralda - Wraith now, I guess - has been affected by the Elixir in a...startling fashion. I didn't recognize her the first time until she spoke, and then I panicked a bit. I was just selfishly worried about whether I was going to change like that, and I don't know if she saw how freaked I was. Even if she didn't I felt guilty about even thinking it, so I offered to try and help her with whatever she needed. Which turned out to be tracking down members of her old gang to see if they were still alive. We've got all of them accounted for now - couple signed up with the 'drakes, a few were scared so bad they went back to school, one left town - and I don't know what she's going to do to Diego when she catches him. I'd like to ask him some questions about where his brother got those Titan samples, but I might have to talk fast.

Relationships posted:

Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on Black Widow.

Well, yeah. No poo poo. She's only the daughter of the man who stands for everything we want to bring down, we'd both be pretty stupid to not want to keep a close watch on her. Brass was unhappy about me working with her at all, but I've heard her talk about her old man and unless she's a real sociopath there's no way she's lying when she says she wants to bring him down. Also she is bad-rear end and I want her on my side no matter what her last name is.

Influence posted:

Choose your demeanor: playful or business.
If you choose playful, give Influence to two teammates.
If you choose business, give Influence to no teammates.

I guess you could say I cultivate an aura of professionalism as a different kind of armor. If you were playing pop psychology games, anyway.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 17, 2019

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

quote:

Black Widow - "Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who? Why?"

Well, no way that info slipping out helped things with Nelson, but the Russians? Man, they were pissed when they figured out who I was. Their brigadier, Nikolai Yasevich, has been making a lot of noise about how we're just tools of the Spider and how we're going to regret us getting in their way. So far it's just been talk, but if they figure out where we meet up... no telling what they might do, much less bring to bear.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Discovered too late but let me know should another opening ever present itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Thread is up:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880054