Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Dareon posted:

A few days ago I was sort of wondering if America as a culture has just blasted our attention span to smithereens or if it's just some kind of apathy, or maybe both, like we'll mouth platitudes and offer condolences over the latest catastrophe, and fifteen minutes later we'll be wondering what Britney Spears is up to these days.

...Then I got sidetracked wondering what Britney Spears is up to these days.

Today I learned that Americans can buy guns at Walmart(??!?!???!). Just the most agonisingly stupid concept imaginable. I wonder if a short attention span might be a kind of psychic defence mechanism against the horrors of daily life-?
Anyway, what is Britney up to these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Dareon posted:

:confused: You mean... you can't walk into a giant poorly-ventilated metal box, sprawling across what once used to be verdant land like an asphalt-and-concrete melanoma, and walk out with everything you need to stalk, kill, skin, prepare, cook, and dispose of a large land mammal while in varying stages of inebriation?

Uhhh... which large land mammals, exactly?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

They did well to fit all that on the back of a business card.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fister Roboto posted:

Wow, they let anybody in here haha!

Haha here's trouble haha

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

zoux posted:

Oof good luck yall

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1205253573111681024

How come it's called that

Not to be confused with the dongfish. Note that the horngus of the dongfish is attached by a scrongle to a kind of dillsack (the nutte sac)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I need a penguin fish-discovery montage

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DontMockMySmock posted:

This is literally the first time where I've ever gotten the impression that Donald Trump is feeling sad. He's been angry, he's been frustrated, he's been confused, but this is the first time I can think of where he says something that seems to belie a true sadness underneath.

Good.

You know the bit of your brain that makes you ask dogs "who's a good boy? Is it you? Yes!"
Trump is missing that bit of his brain.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mak0rz posted:

Nah, it's just a triglid. They have modified pectoral fins that are equipped with flexible spines they can use like legs to skitter across the seafloor.

What! Wikipedia says these things are fish that can walk, glide, make sounds, and smell with their fins. Truly the most versatile of fishies.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Son of Rodney posted:

Like how the gently caress is that budget real. Who in their right mind would defend this.

The land of the freeeeee, and the home of the braaaaave

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

freeedr posted:

Ok but I simply need to inform any that don’t know that Jerome Horwitz is the the real name of Curly from The Three Stooges

(Howard was a name the brothers took on in vaudeville days because of antisemitism :smith:)

Thanks! I was about to ask the thread if there was a reference there I was missing.
My kids love those books. I wonder how they'd feel about the Three Stooges...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

A Deepness in the Sky, actually.

Is that the one where there's a spider planet trapped in some kind of hell winter and a weird mind-wiping bunch of humans are orbiting it in their doom fleet and the humans listen in on the radio broadcasts of the emerging spider civilization and some of the mind-wiped humans are used as translators of the broadcast and start beating each other up because the flickering remnants of their souls really, really get into spider rivalries?
Sorry for the long sentence, I read that book decades ago, and it all started coming back to me.
(And the humans believed they were emerging, so they called themselves the Emergency!!)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

How have I lived here 34 years and not heard "cardboardeaux" before?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Excellent av/post combo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

bob dobbs is dead posted:

japanese and korean also has onomatopoeia for colors which is deffo weird as hell to english speakers

What, really? That's amazing. Do you mean how like the word sparkle sounds sparkly, sort of thing?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Burdensome Friend Aaaaaaaaaa
I knew it!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

PetraCore posted:

Wouldn't there be some ignorance with extremely foreign animals that it's hard to import, so chances to see them would be rare but the artist would have heard of them? Like, not the snail, but there's a lot of elephants in there that look like they're being vaguely based on boars and then edited to fit descriptions of elephants, and then there's one in the comments drawn from a live reference and it's a lot different. How much is contemporary cartoony stylization vs not having a reference for stuff like elephants and tigers?

I really like that rhino that has the shape down exactly but the artist drew the hide like ornamented armor. It's neat!

It looks like it's based on Durer's earlier BEAUTIFUL rhinoceros picture.

Anyway, I sort of don't blame anyone for drawing crocodiles and hippos wrong. Imagine getting close enough for an accurate image. Brrr.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Where did you find this image of every single Australian Rotary Club chairman ever?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What fresh hell is this

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Street art is thought-provoking, great to look at and culturally relevant, but it's also super hard to monetise. For some reason it didn't count as Real Art for a long long time

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
One of my Bulgarian friends has this weird speech impediment (maybe it is their accent) where they can't pronounce "n" properly. Another friend kept losing their appliances and my chum kept asking "has anyone seen burexa's irom?"
Anyway, that's another story for another time, I guess

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Blurred posted:

In an active voice construction, "need" requires the infinitive: "I need to wash the car" is possible, but "I need washing the car" is not.

In the passive construction, "need" can take both the infinitive and gerund forms: "The car needs to be washed" or "The car needs washing". So far as I'm aware both forms are universal. However, the gerund form normally relates to personal actions and as such cannot really be used with stative verbs: "Your password needs to be 8 characters in length" works, but "Your password needs being 8 characters in length" doesn't.

I'm not familiar with the past participle being used in connection with need ("The car needs washed") but it would have to be a highly irregular construction (the past participle normally follows auxiliary verbs, not main verbs), so it would have to be a very regional variation if anything.

I am so, so glad I never had to learn English as a second language. All you multilingual goons with your effortless second-language-posting are legends and heroes.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Skwirl posted:

Some random dude who kinda looks like Tony Hawk is gonna have to deal with a really annoying stranger in the near future.

Every Hawk lookalike dies early, after being relentlessly pressured by strangers into attempting a sick flying grind kick off the olly rail or something

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Man, Animorphs got weird towards the end

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

This article is a must-read. I don't understand any of it but I like to laugh at phrases like "Moduli space of hyperbolic pants" and "the pants complex"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kull wahad!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

OwlFancier posted:

They're loading the owl cannon, it's the most humane way to get them back into the trees.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I really appreciate you posting this, but I am too stupid to understand it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Platystemon posted:

He leaves some Belgian flags as calling cards and heads back to England. He’s demoted for breaking orders, but awarded the distinguished flying cross for his heroics.

"You're a loose cannon, Longchamps! Hand over your badge mk VIII supermarine sptifire!"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I once held the power to end all life upon the earth. Also I was on home alone! (the second one, not the good one) and I am going to QUIT, your UNOIN.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Feb 4, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Flint_Paper posted:

Pugs actually use the stars as a kind of primitive way of divining the future, but they generally see things as a poor sign

Quick, fix the typo and save the joke!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Am I alone in getting really freaked out by thylacine footage as a littke kid?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Oh hey, I remember Animorphs

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

wizzardstaff posted:

If you want to keep remembering it then check out the Let's Read thread in the Book Barn!

It's a good thread! I even posted terrible fanart to it once.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Stexils posted:

A COP: draw a picture of a girl leading horde of wildebeests to trample through the capitol and light all the wendys on fire. people will definitely think this is bad and scary

Let's include dogs and owls, famous symbols of disloyalty and foolishness
Also both people should wear sandals, the acknowledged footwear of people who harbour dangerous thoughts. Also the footwear of Jesus but I'm sure it's just a coincidence

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Feb 24, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I haven't actually laughed at all this week, until this post! So thankyou for the lol, and for the horrifying moment of revelation.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Re: HellShoes, I think Jesus mentions hell twice in the gospels; the people there are a) the rich and b) those who refuse to feed and clothe the poor and welcome the homeless.
Like, the American right's policies are literal blasphemy at this point, lol

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Mar 29, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

feedmyleg posted:

I watch all my NES content on YouTube and never even thought of podcasts? Suggestions for anything that isn't just obnoxious dweebs making bad jokes?

You've come to the wrong forums, friend

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kenning posted:

It's only "milves" in the specific case of Middle Earth. The current plural in standard English is "milfs," but the original plural is "millows".

I should like to see some millows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DickKingSmith/status/1387646338289053696

Big deal I'm two and a half feet taller than this duck

The colossal size of this vast duck is such that no mere twitter image cropping algorithm can contain him.