Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Please Hammer don't pendul'em.

I know it's a different Foucault, shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

No, he was saying it because Texas lost power for a few days due to the polar vortex. It was absolutely a huge tragedy and a failure of our infrastructure and needs to be addressed, but it was not a Mad Max scenario.

edit: oh the other guy. I guess, maybe? We're quite a bit away from that though, even as bad as things are.

I actually said a situation in which Texas lost power for months, as credible reporting has said we were minutes away from due to a catastrophic grid failure before they shut half the state down. That strawman you've built looks good though.

I mean if you've gone through the past year and seen our countries response to a pandemic, an election, and a winter storm and you think things can never get Iraq-like here, especially with climate change seriously ramping up just lol

Edit: have a hopeful tweet:
https://twitter.com/collieennis/status/1363863655150927888?s=19

D-Pad has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Feb 23, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Double on down, buddy.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I actually said a situation in which Texas lost power for months, as credible reporting has said we were minutes away from due to a catastrophic grid failure before they shut half the state down. That strawman you've built looks good though.

I mean if you've gone through the past year and seen our countries response to a pandemic, an election, and a winter storm and you think things can never get Iraq-like here, especially with climate change seriously ramping up just lol

Edit: have a hopeful tweet:
https://twitter.com/collieennis/status/1363863655150927888?s=19

2021 is going to be the year of thylacine flu.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Captain Monkey posted:

Double on down, buddy.

Look man it only makes sense for those of us living in Texas to prepare to be living in a failed post-apocalyptic state.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
And I guess the comparisons to Iraq aren't that bad, because it was American officials that got them there as well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Look man it only makes sense for those of us living in Texas to prepare to be living in a failed post-apocalyptic state.

I've lived in Texas my entire life.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Captain Monkey posted:

I've lived in Texas my entire life.

And you don't have a plan for the fall? Failing to prepare is preparing to fail neighbor.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Goddamn D-Pad you sound like you're salivating for an excuse to shoot someone. A gun ain't gonna stop you from freezing to death. And I don't think you're gonna be hunting a lot of game in the suburbs. In a months long blackout I'd much rather be on good terms with my neighbors, and I say this as a gun owner.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

2021 is going to be the year of thylacine flu.

PSA for anyone who sees the thylacine: do NOT gently caress it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

PSA for anyone who sees the thylacine: do NOT gently caress it.

Buddy, they don't even let me gently caress the thylacine.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/whacknicholson/status/1363998064227332097?s=21

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

... I don't think you're gonna be hunting a lot of game in the suburbs.

Oddly, my neighborhood in North Austin (at least as of 2019 when I moved away) has a herd of 20+ deer that just wander the streets, eating any unprotected vegetation.

https://nwaca.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Deer-Mgt-in NW-Austin-Schenck.pdf

A different North Austin neighborhood has a flock of Guinea fowl. http://gracy-wild.blogspot.com/2009/03/history-of-gracywoods-guineafowl.html?m=1

5TonsOfFlax has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Feb 23, 2021

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Goddamn D-Pad you sound like you're salivating for an excuse to shoot someone. A gun ain't gonna stop you from freezing to death. And I don't think you're gonna be hunting a lot of game in the suburbs. In a months long blackout I'd much rather be on good terms with my neighbors, and I say this as a gun owner.

A gun can absolutely stop you from freezing to death as long as you have one bullet!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Push El Burrito posted:

A gun can absolutely stop you from freezing to death as long as you have one bullet!

In one of the STALKER games there's a treasure you can find that you get clues about called the "Stalker's Retirement Fund", the rumours tell you it's enough treasure and supplies to keep you comfortable for the rest of your life. You have to fight mercenaries and monsters to get to it. It's a bottle of vodka, a pistol and a single bullet.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

There's not a lot of game, but it'll be much easier to shoot and eat your neighbor's pets if you don't know them.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Every single prepper, if you get them talking long enough, will eventually without fail start explaining how they need all those guns to defend themselves when society collapses and they have to fend off the roving hordes of nig "bandits"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/merman_melville/status/1364000670760669184?s=21

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Oddly, my neighborhood in North Austin (at least as of 2019 when I moved away) has a herd of 20+ deer that just wander the streets, eating any unprotected vegetation.

https://nwaca.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Deer-Mgt-in NW-Austin-Schenck.pdf

A different North Austin neighborhood has a flock of Guinea fowl. http://gracy-wild.blogspot.com/2009/03/history-of-gracywoods-guineafowl.html?m=1

lol incredible

Okay society is over, time to get fully self-sustaining!! [hoses down my neighbour's chickens with an AR15]

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's getting a bit ridiculous all the motivations and words being assigned to me that I've never said. Are all your guns for hunting? Any for self defense? I own no guns for self defense, they are all hunting guns for deer and dove, which I hunt every year. I don't keep any guns in my house because I don't hunt from my house. I expressed one desire in another thread to keep weapons in my house due to just having gone through a natural disaster in which our government completely and utterly failed us and used a generator as an example of something that might make my family and I a target in a situation that was drastically worse than what happened this past week. I further qualified I believed the chances of a disaster such as that were unlikely and probably not worth preparing for. Captain Monkey followed me to another thread and portrayed me as some crazed gun nut who wants to shoot people.

Let me state clearly and plainly, I would not shoot somebody over a generator. Full stop. Having a weapon for self defense is not the same thing as shooting somebody over personal property. The merits can be debated about whether it is even a good idea to have one for self defense and I respect anybody who feels differently. I do cooperate with my neighbors. I did cooperate with them when their pipes burst last week and we still had water. I had others stay at my house when their power was out. I believe cooperation is the proper course of action, but there was a discussion about the subject and I merely pointed out that there are examples in extreme situations where cooperation will break down on an intergroup level if not an individual one, which is objectively true. I discussed preppers, derided the crazy ones, and noted that I wasn't "buying survival buckets of food or whatever but definitely filling out my basic emergency supplies cache." Carnotaurus had the right of it and then Captain Monkey came in again and assigned a motivation to me that was objectively false.

Anyway

https://twitter.com/Sneakiestsnakee/status/1338551415288057859?s=20

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/baby_b0nes/status/1363933946044575744

https://twitter.com/jeremylevick/status/1363980399928610819

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1363994516483694592

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
D-pad, I’ve been in both threads for a long time. I was just laughing that you came in here to doomsday prepper in this thread too.

You literally said you wanted a gun to protect your generator. It’d be less embarrassing if you just owned it. That said, you seem to be upset so I’m gonna stop poking the multi page screed dude who’s looking to buy a gun.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Feb 23, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

D-pad, I’ve been in both threads for a long time. I was just laughing that you came in here to doomsday prepper in this thread too.

You literally said you wanted a gun to protect your generator. It’d be less embarrassing if you just owned it. That said, you seem to be upset so I’m gonna stop poking the multi page screed dude who’s looking to buy a gun.

I did not literally say I wanted a gun to protect my generator. In response to someone posting a Texas Tribune article about the Texas grid almost failing and being down for months I said:

D-Pad posted:

I can't even imagine how bad it would be if the whole state lost power for months. I'm using this to convince my wife to finally let me have some guns in the house "We have a generator. what do you think happens when the power has been out for weeks and we are one of the only people with one?"

As in, having a generator and having power when others don't in this situation makes us a target. Nowhere in that post did I say anything about shooting somebody trying to take my generator. You read that motivation into and then followed me into another thread putting words in my mouth. I also didn't come into this thread and start a prepper conversation. Others had started discussing the merits of prepping vs cooperation and I joined in the discussion.

I'm upset because you have created a strawman of me and goaded others into attacking me for things I never said. For example, you corrected somebody with:

Captain Monkey posted:

No, he was saying it because Texas lost power for a few days due to the polar vortex.

When I clearly stated I was talking about a situation in which the power was off for months

D-Pad has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Feb 23, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

“This property to be sold as is.”

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ok your right you seem very reasonable

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
You both seem insufferable but d pad definitely wants to murder people for walking into his yard.

Strong hoa energy

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

D-Pad posted:

(D-Pads Generator Genocide Manifesto)

I ain't reading all that
But I'm glad u didnt shoot anyone
Or in sorry u got indicted

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

some plague rats posted:

Every single prepper, if you get them talking long enough, will eventually without fail start explaining how they need all those guns to defend themselves when society collapses and they have to fend off the roving hordes of nig "bandits"

This was the whole thing with people buying "zombie" branded ammunition a few years back. "Oh yeah when the.. uhh... Zombie Apocalypse comes, I'm going to need plenty of these GutFucker Seven Thousand shotgun rounds so I can protect myself against minorit- uhh, zombie hordes".

It was really prevalent during the Obama administration, can't for the life of me figure out why :thunk:

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Are these people confusing Tasmania with New Zealand? I think that might be even worse than maps without New Zealand.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shithouse Dave posted:

Are these people confusing Tasmania with New Zealand? I think that might be even worse than maps without New Zealand.

Just your basic geography fail

https://twitter.com/collieennis/status/1363869575645913091

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

D-Pad's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6avab0fIY

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real please be real

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't wait to find out what a thylacine tastes like.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
What’s a thylacine?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

j.peeba posted:

What’s a thylacine?

Not much what’s a thylacine with you?

(It’s a Tasmanian tiger, thought to be extinct marsupial)

https://twitter.com/mesut_ausil/status/1364092205787353091?s=21

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

j.peeba posted:

What’s a thylacine?

It's a bit like a henway

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

j.peeba posted:

What’s a thylacine?

szary
Mar 12, 2014

quote:

"Nick Mooney has concluded, that based on the physical characteristics shown in the photos provided by Mr Waters, the animals are very unlikely to be thylacines, and are most likely Tasmanian pademelons," TMAG told CNET.

Sorry, we can't have good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

szary posted:

Sorry, we can't have good things.

Having just looked up a pademelons, how on earth could someone confuse the two?