Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's February, y'all. We're sitting on 6" of fresh powder and I just got done cutting some sweet donuts in various cul de sacs (culs de sac?) with my daughter and driving is good.

Here's the thread to post your good stuff. And bad stuff. And whatever.

Post pictures of donuts, donut aftermath, and burnouts here, please.

Edit:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

February goal is to habituate budgeting so I can save for some upcoming purchases. YNAB is awesome and I'm also listening to some podcasts. Any advice?

Also SOMEONE BUY MY AMG THANKS!

I've never been on a straight budget (probably should, but :effort: ), but I've been using Personal Capital for a couple years and Mint for a few months. PC is good, but man, it's screwed up reporting of at least 6 of my accounts at some point over the past two years, and is generally flaky. Mint seems much more solid. I wish I could import my couple years of PC data into Mint, but can't. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Goober Peas posted:

I like some of Ramseys's concepts but he comes across as a judgemental arrogant rear end too often.

He's good for when you start out with your feet on the ground. He doesn't do so well in recognizing that there are people hustling to keep their head above water. Then again, if you are in that situation, there's not a lot of financial advice that will help you, other than... keep up the hustle.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:neckbeard:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. Went to look at a Tacoma this morning after work. Very specifically asked if it had been smoked in before I made the hour drive. Was told emphatically no, non smoker vehicle.

"Oh well I never smoked in it but my mom did."

Ozone machine will clear that up. My Avalon was smoked in like it was a freaking fireplace and after a few hour-long blasts of ozone, you cannot tell. And I'm sensitive to smoke.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Yall want a marine corps thread for a spell?

They don't allow trans in the military. Sounds like a perfect fit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Holy poo poo. Both of those are awesome. How deep into murderland are they?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Guys. Guys... Hey guys... I don't know how long this has been in place, but Amazon has free global express shipping from other countries, including Germany.

That means cheap Wera, Wiha, etc. as long as you have Prime and a credit card with no international transaction fee.

It HAS to be sold by amazon de and it HAS to show "Choose Amazon Global Priority Shipping at checkout. "

For example: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000Y8Y31K is $33 delivered from Germany

and https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Univers...era+05056440001 is $43 + tax from Amazon US.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mariooncrack posted:

You did the best you could with what you knew and you did more than most people would have. You're good people.

Yeah, this. Is the girl okay? You're like Rhyno, only you attract lovely abusive neighbors.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Humphreys posted:

So doggo is going to a good night. Why not completely gently caress my brain up more. I've just put the patch on. Lets see if second round works. My theory is if I'm gonna be hosed up mentally, might as well knock a few out of the yard together.

Godspeed, doggo. :glomp:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

The old lady 4 houses down tried to open our front door two days after I changed the locks and she was pissed that we had the gall to do so. See she was a friend of the previous owner so that clearly gave her free reign to just waltz in whenever she pleased.

How in the gently caress do you find these people? I had the keys to my neighbor's house and new people moved in. I went over there with the key... and gave it loving back, because it was their house now and they never gave me a key!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna run for the board and have speed bumps installed on our street.

And so it begins.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

Never send a truck or a wagon to do a sedan's job.

Lawls. (Had to put the stock wheels on the rear for the trip, the Probe swirlies would have rubbed too much)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

Are we playing that game, then?

:shrug: If you want to...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Did a little digging on the address that came up on the 3rd one. It's the parents house of an old shift manager I had at Pizza Hut (she still lived with them when I worked there).
That seems to be pretty damning evidence.

quote:

I've basically eliminated company-naming chat from my social media, including SA, and don't even list the city I really live in anywhere. The "goons got me fired before I even started my new job" incident taught me to not talk much about work anywhere online. Everything just says "Austin area" and "self employed".

In this case, it looks like lovely real life people, not even lovely internet people! Seriously, though, that's hosed up and I hope it's something the police would look at. Then again, I assume that the police would look into a number of things and it ends up they just don't care. I guess we're not big enough corporations to get reliable police protection.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Well, the fired-before-my-first-day bit... I posted about it on SA and mentioned the specific location. I didn't give as much info on FB.

So that was very much lovely internet people.

I was talking about the identity theft bit, not the calling to get you fired dickishness.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Edited to remove super sensitive information that was publicly posted in the chat thread but is somehow my fault for commenting on it in the chat thread.

Rhyno posted:

used to make a smart wire surgical device that was snaked into a 13 year old girl's body and then activated, surrounding a tumor and then contracted, cutting the tumor on all sides and allowing them to remove the entire thing.

That is crazy cool. One hell of a lot more rewarding than selling comic books. GG, Rhyno.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 4, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

~runs into thread frantically~
*huff huff wheeeeeeeze*

SORRY I'M LATE GUYS.

This is my favorite.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

Got new tires and apparently my car did not come with the wheel lock, so they removed the locks but I now only have 4 lug nuts on each wheel and need to go to the dealer to get new ones. I've done around 20 miles on the car with 4 nuts at each wheel instead of 5, when I get the new nuts today can I just put them on and torque them down, or should I lift the car and loosen the 4, then tighten all 5 in the star pattern?

For the time it'd take, just jack it, loosen, then retighten. That way you know it's proper.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Went and saw a surprise Dave Chappelle set last night at a tiny little speakeasy in Culver City, Chris Rock got up and did 2+ hours with him. Hannibal Burress also did about 20 mins and there were 3 or 4 other openers too. Fun stuff.

What an amazing find. That'd be fun.

Another amazing find?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5RjmEGgc8

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Grakkus posted:

Don't let Kakermix hear you say this :v:

I had to stop reading his thread. If I didn't I'd have a dozen of those loving things all around my house and everyone would kill me. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thatsa good post. :discourse:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Sickening crunch.

That's never a fun thing. I can empathize, so often you get used to just backing up in your driveway that you get complacent.

keykey posted:

Oh, rad. Apparently image ghosting/retention is still something that I still have to deal with with an OLED tv. And of course it’s 2 months out of warranty.. I moved from a plasma that I’ve had for damned near 12 years to an OLED. The plasma never had retention/ghosting and I have used the OLED for the same damned thing. gently caress.

No firsthand experience, but from what I've seen, OLED has a bit of an ability to recover, I think by showing a full-white screen for a while? It doesn't recover actual full brightness, but it seemed manageable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

I never realized how much used camelcamel until it went down.

Yeah, me, too. Looks like they had a really, really bad design that allowed for very little system failure.

I've been using https://keepa.com/#! , not as good, but it's all I've got right now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Don't forget the ones that send all the clothes to Africa, which completely destroys their local garment industry.

Cite your sources? The practice has been going on for years, so any destruction would have been a while ago. Looks like there's two sides to that story, at least. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/06/second-hand-clothing-donations-kenya

Either way, throwing good clothing away because you can't be assed to drop it off at Goodwill isn't helping.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I said Goodwill, not random bins.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

Never said I was replying to your second sentence, whereas the first sentence is in reference to the ongoing conversation about the bins :psyduck:?

Nor was I replying to you, my first reply was clearly to powershift about Africa. Chill.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

We're talking about the bins re: Africa ????

I don't understand that context you're on, because powershift hasn't talked about goodwill, I'm the one talking about tossing clothes, I was the only post between your two and you seem to be directly replying, etc. I'm pretty certain you've got the wrong/right person.

I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse or not.

meatpimp posted:

Cite your sources? The practice has been going on for years, so any destruction would have been a while ago. Looks like there's two sides to that story, at least. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/06/second-hand-clothing-donations-kenya

Was referring to powershift, since it was quoted.

meatpimp posted:

Either way, throwing good clothing away because you can't be assed to drop it off at Goodwill isn't helping.

Was referring to you, since you were the one intending to discard clothing. Capisce?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

There are more than 2 sides, really.

http://theconversation.com/americas-petty-policy-on-used-clothes-for-africa-95132

A balance has to be found, and reuse and recycling is obviously important, but in this situation, there seems to be a ton of downside.

Yup, looks like a right mess, but I find little support for not donating new or nearly new clothing items to Goodwill, which will sell them and return 87 cents on the dollar to the community.

Edit: Just to demonstrate that I practice what I preach:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 10, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

I have a bunch of mint (wrapped, or worn/washed literally once in some cases) 5.11 7 pocket "tactical" brush pants. Retail for like $50-100. So, threw them up on offerup (which is a location-based craigslist knockoff thing) for $20 each, and I have people from 50 miles away asking if I'll deliver, if I'll take $10, all the usual poo poo.

Queen Combat posted:

Read my posts! THEY DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING BUT SORTED FULL BAGS JESUS CHRIST I ALREADY SAID I'D TRY AGAIN AT A DIFFERENT ONE HOLY poo poo

It sounded like it was already sorted. IDK, just don't know why you're making such a big deal about donating to charity. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Jeeze, meatpimp, chill the gently caress out.

Sorry, we (in general) have so much of so much that I don't like seeing people bragging about not donating/recycling. I'll shut up now.

Edit: Listening to mod, too.

Moving on -- I live in an area that is a) rapidly expanding, and b) has a "No Commercial" zoning rule. That means that the existing commercial businesses at the South end of the township are absolutely flooded with multiples of the volume they were intended to, since they've been there for 15 years and the residential building exploded withing the past 10 years.

So... that means that I placed an order at Dominos, went to pick it up and they were hammered at 5:00 on Saturday. Their online chart said my stuff was ready, but the guy at the counter said it wasn't.

I waited another 10 minutes and checked again and nothing was there. The order was obviously sent somewhere else or lost or whatever. It took another 15 minutes of waiting to talk to a manager (they were super, super slammed) until I just went up to the manager and asked for his name and told him mine... said I didn't get my order and I'd talk with him on another day about it.

I went home and made something else, but I really wanted that italian sub.

I felt bad for the workers... they were all absolutely hustling, but also so obviously overloaded that there wasn't going to be any sanity in that place for quite a while.

So maybe I was hangry, too. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 10, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I never get them because the total I donate in a year isn't going to make much of a difference on my taxes, and now zero with the new standard deduction.

I get them just for documentation, but yeah, the tax numbers are all skewed this year. I took the standard deduction instead of itemizing for the first time in... at least 20 years.

Rhyno posted:

I usually drop clothes off in the grocery parking lot Goodwill boxes.

When there aren't people digging around inside of them anyways.

I would ask if that was true, but... Indiana.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Humphreys posted:

What a loving week to quit the darts. I'm pacing the house wanting to punch poo poo.

Exercise. Run/bike/calisthenics... or my favorite in that situation -- work out on a heavy bag. You get tired and you get endorphins. The best your body can give you right now.

Hang tough, it gets better. :unsmith:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That's hosed up and infuriating. Curb stomping is something that should exist only in jokes, irl it's ridiculously damaging and brutal and not commensurate for any offense.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Guys... I have a long list of "wants," but this just rocketed to the top of my list:

https://www.mechatronik.de/en/engineering/the-m-coupe-m-cabrio/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Humphreys posted:

Just ordered a newELM ODB Dongle the other day. As soon as I saw it confirmed shipped - found the old one. Right there in the port in my car.

Hi. I've got 3 generic bluetooth dongles now. Two that I've had for a while, then couldn't find them to scan the BMW when I first got it. Looked everywhere, even places I KNEW they would be. Never found them and ordered another. Then I found BOTH of the missing ones in the compartment inside the center armrest compartment. I very effectively hid them from myself. :{

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pour one out for our dead homie.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2193438-opportunity-mars-rover-is-probably-dead-after-15-year-mission/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Goober Peas posted:

But Kelloggs Frosted Flakes are

Without comment.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sab0921 posted:

I drive an ATS-V - the cops know how to cut me deep.

[timg]//imgur.com/a/D4hhpXw[/timg]

https://imgur.com/a/D4hhpXw

That's too mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I worked as a process engineer that made colors, pigments, and dyes for the rubber and plastics industry. My sense of smell is shot, and I'm sure it's a byproduct of the plant. Hopefully it's just that. I did a lot of work with dust collectors, and that in itself was nasty. Then there was the lead dust... yup, lead dust. :bravo: