Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

In other news, the central basement murder room has new storage.

Hopefully moving pantry stuff down there along with some small appliances will clear up the kitchen a bit.

As a side note, I do like that I have to use multiple adjectives in order to differentiate this from the other murder rooms in the house. This is not the front basement murder room, the back basement murder room, the attic murder room, or the second floor closet murder hideaway.

All that first pic needs is some moths flying around for the perfect murder room.

Have you thought about digging a deep pit for.......Things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

meatpimp posted:

That is crazy cool. One hell of a lot more rewarding than selling comic books. GG, Rhyno.

Not an empty quote

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hopefully moving pantry stuff down there along with some small appliances will clear up the kitchen a bit.

As a side note, I do like that I have to use multiple adjectives in order to differentiate this from the other murder rooms in the house. This is not the front basement murder room, the back basement murder room, the attic murder room, or the second floor closet murder hideaway.

Look at this guy bragging about his extra rooms.

Ha I WISH I had some extras murder or not. Love my house but it’s small and we have SO MUCH STUFF.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

All that first pic needs is some moths flying around for the perfect murder room.
Hey now, I try to keep the place pest-free.

Have you thought about digging a deep pit for.......Things?
I didn't have to. May I introduce you to the demon pit in my side yard?

We filled it in ...

... but on windless nights you can still hear the screams.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I remember that lol.....If only it were in the proper place i.e. the basement :v:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I remember that lol.....If only it were in the proper place i.e. the basement :v:

Sadly, the basement is too small for a murder pit of any size. If I cleared out the back basement murder room, sure, but then I'd lose two closets and my filing cabinet, and I'd get more use out of those than out of a murder pit.

Now, if I build new I'll definitely work that into the plans for ya. What do you think -- eight feet across, twelve feet deep? I'd think if it were too small in diameter people could brace themselves and climb, and likewise ten feet deep would let too many people jump and grab the edge. Might raise too many red flags to the builders, though. A room made of reinforced concrete with a good door would serve the same function, but admittedly lacks the je ne sais quoi of a pit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Tell the builder it's a diving pool. Having a drain and pumping equipment would probably be handy anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Now, if I build new I'll definitely work that into the plans for ya. What do you think -- eight feet across, twelve feet deep? I'd think if it were too small in diameter people could brace themselves and climb, and likewise ten feet deep would let too many people jump and grab the edge. Might raise too many red flags to the builders, though. A room made of reinforced concrete with a good door would serve the same function, but admittedly lacks the je ne sais quoi of a pit.

I know a guy that specializes in murd...umm...storage pits. He can probably help you. His name is Bill.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There was a silver lining to the cold weather this weekend - took the opportunity to defrost the deep freezer as I could just put our food outside to keep it frozen. Moved the food outside Saturday, unplugged deepfreeze, let it sit overnight, wiped up water residue and fired it back up yesterday. Works like a darn.

Except...

I just went into the unfinished area of my basement where we keep the freezer..... and found 6 boxes of food (chicken, meat pies) that I left out for almost 24 hours, I forgot them when refilling the freezer.

gently caress.

Whelp, off to the dumpster.

Rhyno posted:

So back in late October we did a special order for one of our customers, 20 pounds of a very specialized alloy spun into very tight specifications. This morning our building manager came to our dept and told us it was used to make a smart wire surgical device that was snaked into a 13 year old girl's body and then activated, surrounding a tumor and then contracted, cutting the tumor on all sides and allowing them to remove the entire thing. And my code was on the finish pass of the spool so not only did I not gently caress it up but the material worked for the process.

I don't think I've ever done anything in my life that's made me feel so good.
Good for you. It's nice to sometimes hear about the things you do every day for your job can impact others. I have emergency freak-outs from people all the time, but almost never hear the follow up after you pull a miracle out of your rear end.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I had an interview today that I thought went well!

But it was first thing in the morning so I came in late without telling anyone, because normally my lazy boss comes in whenever she wants, which means anywhere from 10:00-11:30!

But not today!

But she didn't say anything!

:confuoot:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

VW... I know I'd have to buy some tools to do a brake job (seems they love Torx)...

I believe you mean "triple-square."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Then call the cops and get them to speed trap the road.

GG, only ginormous assholes want speedbumps

Goober Peas posted:

I thought you said you were against speedbumps

:drat:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hey now, I try to keep the place pest-free.
I didn't have to. May I introduce you to the demon pit in my side yard?

We filled it in ...

... but on windless nights you can still hear the screams.

Well now you've just created a faerie ring.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

Are we playing that game, then?
~runs into thread frantically~
*huff huff wheeeeeeeze*

SORRY I'M LATE GUYS.

mewse
May 2, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Mm.. those shelves will only fit 2 bodies and maybe a child

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

*huff huff wheeeeeeeze*

SORRY I'M LATE GUYS.

This is my favorite.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

LloydDobler posted:

Wagon all the way. The best part about wagons is that you can use it like a truck, but when you don't, it's no longer a truck. Trucks are always trucks.

Someone snagged a shot of me Saturday on the way to the test track. Bump in the road makes it look a little worse than it is but I do need to replace the shocks pretty bad...they're original

Rhyno posted:

So back in late October we did a special order for one of our customers, 20 pounds of a very specialized alloy spun into very tight specifications. This morning our building manager came to our dept and told us it was used to make a smart wire surgical device that was snaked into a 13 year old girl's body and then activated, surrounding a tumor and then contracted, cutting the tumor on all sides and allowing them to remove the entire thing. And my code was on the finish pass of the spool so not only did I not gently caress it up but the material worked for the process.
That's awesome. It's rare for us to find out what real world impact the stuff run on our systems has most of the time. Some of the customers will clue us in if it's something interesting but for the most part we never know.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

*huff huff wheeeeeeeze*
SORRY I'M LATE GUYS.

:golfclap:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Not comparable to anything here

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Queen Combat posted:

Not comparable to anything here

I can say with authority that an 8' 2x4 WILL fit inside the Crown Vic. From left rear package tray to right-front footwell.
Really wish they'd have at least put a ski hole in the rear seat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Don't want any chance of some junkie getting into the trunk with the shotgun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't want any chance of some junkie getting into the trunk with the shotgun.

There's usually a bunch of other poo poo to get through in there anyways.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
There is a fuel tank and FSS in the way for 85% of it, though.

Also my trunk has the equipment drawer shelf, so the spare tire slides all the way out on a big rack, with fire extinguishers next to it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Queen Combat posted:

Also my trunk has the equipment drawer shelf, so the spare tire slides all the way out on a big rack, with fire extinguishers next to it.

Makes sense, that's usually where the fire starts.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Darchangel posted:

I can say with authority that an 8' 2x4 WILL fit inside the Crown Vic. From left rear package tray to right-front footwell.
Really wish they'd have at least put a ski hole in the rear seat.

A 90s civic coupe WILL fit three ikea flat pack sofas, and two Large people. but the suspension will cry. Hard. You'll eventually rip the fender liners out going over a bump at speed.

Thank God that car was stolen and stripped, insurance couldn't see the bullshit I subjected it to after it became a burning frame.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Queen Combat posted:

Mine's just got the spare on the shelf, fire extinguisher on the left, and the mounting hardware for the shotgun rack left.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

*huff huff wheeeeeeeze*

SORRY I'M LATE GUYS.

Please tell me there's video.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Any of y'all try out LASFIT LED bulbs? Seems like it'd be a nice improvement to visibility in my '04 Impreza wagon, but I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat blinding everyone with lovely aftermarket headlights.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

There was a silver lining to the cold weather this weekend - took the opportunity to defrost the deep freezer as I could just put our food outside to keep it frozen. Moved the food outside Saturday, unplugged deepfreeze, let it sit overnight, wiped up water residue and fired it back up yesterday. Works like a darn.

Except...

I just went into the unfinished area of my basement where we keep the freezer..... and found 6 boxes of food (chicken, meat pies) that I left out for almost 24 hours, I forgot them when refilling the freezer.

gently caress.

Could be worse. You could have been wondering what the gently caress that horrible smell was in a couple of weeks....

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
When our annoying flatmate moved out, she turned off the mini fridge she was using and “forgot” about all the chicken she had in the freezer. Didn’t take long in this heat for me to find that :cry:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I absolutely loved the 2016 Kia Soul I rented last year, and have nothing but love for that zippy, quirky little car that carried me hundreds of miles up and down the PCH. This time around I got handed a 2018 Chevy Cruze as my rental, and I cannot get over what a loving heap that thing is. If I'm ever inside of a modern Chevy again, it will be too soon

The interior has the ergonomics of a late 90's econobox, and even as a 6'2" man with the seat pushed back pretty far, the dash and steering wheel are uncomfortably close to the driver. Half of the steering wheel controls are unlabeled, including buttons placed on the back of the steering wheel that have no indication of their purpose unless you test them. The center console takes up so much real estate, but has so little useful space, the infotainment system is hard to navigate through and doesn't want to recognize devices or inputs, even if it's connected by aux or USB cable. The little info screen in the gauge cluster is also annoying to navigate and has pages of redundant or completely useless information to scroll through while driving to finally find average mpg, cruise control speed, or fuel range. The rheostat doesn't do anything if you turn off automatic lights, but the automatic lights are so poor at determining what lights to use that it tried to have the DRLs on instead of actual headlights in a dark snow storm with the wipers going at full speed. The hood has a huge shelf between itself and the windshield that collects snow and debris, blocking the washer jets located in the shelf and it has surprisingly little visibility out of its huge windows. The parking brake is an awkward to reach pedal, you can't actually disable traction control even if you turn it off, and the engine cuts the throttle if you try to get it to rev up to fun. The transmission is so boring that I didn't even bother with the terrible auto-manual mode after the first time I tried it, the auto-manual controls themselves were just buttons located on the top of the awkwardly placed gear lever with little feedback, and the auto-manual setting is so unfriendly to the user that it will still shift for you try to drive it with any sort of vigor. Despite the car's obsession with safety and restricting driver agency, the automatic braking system never activated or even gave a warning when the car 2 lengths in front of me decided to come to a complete stop on the highway

It's the worst car I've driven in a long time, even if you include the broken ones

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How cold was it in the basement? 24hrs is defrosted ready for a cookout :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

I absolutely loved the 2016 Kia Soul I rented last year, and have nothing but love for that zippy, quirky little car that carried me hundreds of miles up and down the PCH. This time around I got handed a 2018 Chevy Cruze as my rental, and I cannot get over what a loving heap that thing is. If I'm ever inside of a modern Chevy again, it will be too soon

The interior has the ergonomics of a late 90's econobox, and even as a 6'2" man with the seat pushed back pretty far, the dash and steering wheel are uncomfortably close to the driver. Half of the steering wheel controls are unlabeled, including buttons placed on the back of the steering wheel that have no indication of their purpose unless you test them. The center console takes up so much real estate, but has so little useful space, the infotainment system is hard to navigate through and doesn't want to recognize devices or inputs, even if it's connected by aux or USB cable. The little info screen in the gauge cluster is also annoying to navigate and has pages of redundant or completely useless information to scroll through while driving to finally find average mpg, cruise control speed, or fuel range. The rheostat doesn't do anything if you turn off automatic lights, but the automatic lights are so poor at determining what lights to use that it tried to have the DRLs on instead of actual headlights in a dark snow storm with the wipers going at full speed. The hood has a huge shelf between itself and the windshield that collects snow and debris, blocking the washer jets located in the shelf and it has surprisingly little visibility out of its huge windows. The parking brake is an awkward to reach pedal, you can't actually disable traction control even if you turn it off, and the engine cuts the throttle if you try to get it to rev up to fun. The transmission is so boring that I didn't even bother with the terrible auto-manual mode after the first time I tried it, the auto-manual controls themselves were just buttons located on the top of the awkwardly placed gear lever with little feedback, and the auto-manual setting is so unfriendly to the user that it will still shift for you try to drive it with any sort of vigor. Despite the car's obsession with safety and restricting driver agency, the automatic braking system never activated or even gave a warning when the car 2 lengths in front of me decided to come to a complete stop on the highway

It's the worst car I've driven in a long time, even if you include the broken ones

See, I had a rental 2011 or 2012 Cruze awhile back, and I actually liked it. Yeah, it was the typical GM parts bin hard plastic interior, but it was a big upgrade over the Altima I was driving. I would say it was even fun to drive, but it had a pretty responsive 6 speed auto, and a cute itty bitty turbo that hit full boost around 3k. But a 2018 would be the 2nd gen, while I had a 1st gen. It didn't have infotainment, just the basic stereo with aux input (no Bluetooth). The auto-manual would just brush the rev limiter before forcing an upshift. Turning off traction control really did turn it off, I did plenty of burnouts (... in the rain) in it.

The stereo did annoy me in that it was basically non-replaceable (that would annoy the gently caress out of me as an owner). And the PCM did get annoyed if you tried to rev it in park or neutral (3k cut IIRC? but GM's been doing that for a long time).

The Cruze was my preferred car in the Hertz 24/7 on demand fleet at the university I was attending, but they had a few other cars. I got the Cruze most of the time, wound up in a beat to poo poo 08 or 09 Malibu a few times that had the same engine that my Ion has. That 2.2 can barely move my Ion at a decent clip, it was a dog in the Malibu. See below for notes on the transmission behavior (it was identical to a Cobalt I had for a bit).

I've strongly considered a Soul if I can find one with a manual that isn't a base (the base has almost everything I want, except keyless entry... and loses a lot of HP). I think they dropped the 3 pedal version for everything but base after about 2014 or 2015 though, and Kia has a reputation for eating clutches. Still, a coworker got nearly 300k out of his early Soul (higher trim) before he totaled it (... clutches every ~80k, 2 transmissions, 2 starters, 2 alternators, and 3 ac compressors later, and outside of the clutches, none available outside of OEM at the time), and he replaced it with another Soul that was a bit newer.

The worst rental cars I've had that I can think of are a tossup between the Cobalt (09 1LT IIRC?) and a (model year I can't remember, but they only made them for a few years anyway right?) Chrysler 200S. The Cobalt was actively trying to kill me anytime I tried stomping it to pass someone ("oh, you're flooring it.... I guess I'll drop into 3rd.... ho hum... wait why is it still floored? okay, I'll consider going into 2nd. What's that loud air horn? Is that an 18 wheeler about to slam into my backside? FINE YOU loving DICK, I'LL FINALLY DROP INTO 1ST! gently caress YOU, I'M GONNA UPSHIFT AT 4000 RPM ANYWAY!"), while the 200S was telling knock knock jokes, was constantly gear hunting even with the cruise on, and just falling apart overall with <20k on it. It was one of the more comfortable rental cars I had, but when you try to roll down the window and the window switch falls out of the door in your hand.. and the headliner is already sagging...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 5, 2019

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nur_Neerg posted:

Any of y'all try out LASFIT LED bulbs? Seems like it'd be a nice improvement to visibility in my '04 Impreza wagon, but I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat blinding everyone with lovely aftermarket headlights.

Let me know if you do. One of the things I dislike about going to the Impreza after driving the XT is the huge difference in nighttime visibility.

mewse posted:

Mm.. those shelves will only fit 2 bodies and maybe a child

What is this, amateur hour? You liquify the bodies before short-term storage, then dump them in a rural stranger's septic tank when they're aw--

Yeah, you're right. Only two adults and maybe a child.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, I don't agree with, haven't experienced 90% of your Cruze review in about 10k miles in a corporate fleet one. Maybe you got a bad one. :shrug:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was chatting with one of our hauliers the other day and he was just so loving excited to tell me about having bought a new car for the first time in his life, he had about 150 pictures of it on his phone.

I mean it was just a Skoda VRS but he seemed so happy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"Skoda VRS" means nothing to me, but I was pretty excited when I bought my last car (Saturn Ion). It was the newest car I'd ever owned, and the lowest mileage car I'd ever owned. Also the first car I'd ever financed. Still one of my favorite cars I've owned, the other favorite being my 91 Integra.

I liked it enough that when it got totaled, I replaced it with the same car. Except this one is a pile of poo poo, despite being the same year/make/model and similarly optioned. I'm just crossing my fingers that it makes it through the year, long enough for me to save up a decent down payment for something that's preferably a year or two old and still has a warranty. With 3 pedals and a stick. And not a Chevy Spark or Sonic, something about those cars just pisses me off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Houston, tenemos un problema

No mas!

Weather network says it's only -34 outside. still some bullshit.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

STR posted:

"Skoda VRS" means nothing to me, but I was pretty excited when I bought my last car (Saturn Ion). It was the newest car I'd ever owned, and the lowest mileage car I'd ever owned. Also the first car I'd ever financed. Still one of my favorite cars I've owned, the other favorite being my 91 Integra.

I liked it enough that when it got totaled, I replaced it with the same car. Except this one is a pile of poo poo, despite being the same year/make/model and similarly optioned. I'm just crossing my fingers that it makes it through the year, long enough for me to save up a decent down payment for something that's preferably a year or two old and still has a warranty. With 3 pedals and a stick. And not a Chevy Spark or Sonic, something about those cars just pisses me off.

Skodas are cool, they're just cheaper, better looking VWs.

The car that has brought me the most joy is probably the moldy £100 Citroen I dug out of a back alley. I love that stupid thing way more than I should.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just want to clarify, I did the final pass on that project but it was totally a team effort that made it happen. I dont want to look like I'm taking all the credit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Not cold enough - the small room where the deepfreeze is also has the furnace :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah I've worked in way too many restaurants (and had food handler permits too many times) for this to fly with me. :smith:

GF loving hates me when I throw out stuff that she's left out. "Oh it's fine, it was only out overnight! (12+ hours)". No. No it's not. Mayyyyyyybe if it was all veggies, I'd let that fly, but if it has any animal products, NOPE. That poo poo's going straight to the garbage. Raw meats in particular; she's prone to leaving them on the counter all day/overnight to defrost. The rule in food service is 4 hours outside of refrigeration, cumulatively (so including when the animal was slaughtered).

She's never worked in food service. I've gotten pretty bad food poisoning from the restaurants I worked in after eating food that was "pushed" a bit.

Defrosting in a fridge (33-40F) is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Door Frame posted:

haha this is like the exact opposite of my experience. i want to love the Soul for its form factor but in fact it sucks rear end