Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Made a perma link for this. Just mute channels you don’t care about.

Game is cool.

https://discord.gg/364rsdd

Link not working.

Edit: Looks like it was just me. Working fine now.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

odiv posted:

Whenever people talk to me in game it sounds like they're peaking. I didn't see any gate settings or anything in there for push-to-talk, unfortunately. Friend and I just switched to Discord and it was fine.

The ingame VOIP is hot garbage yeah. The voice quality on it is pretty poo poo.

Also, quick PSA: Be sure to link your steam account to your Apex account. You can do that from the Apex lobby menu by opening the add friends tabs on the empty player slots - there should be a link that will start you on linking your steam account through the browser.

Doing that will automatically add any steam friends you have who have also linked their Apex account. Handy for me because I have over 200+ goon steam friends.

Fun Times! posted:

My prediction is they will let you buy designer coffins for your character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J_3yJx7v88

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 5, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It's crucially important that people turn on text-to-speech chat so we can inform goons about the status of their bepis.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I have to wonder if this game may do something like what Bloodborne did for Souls games in that it showed people the 'right and fun' way to play those was to use your dodges & play aggressively rather than turtle up behind a shield. Except this might translate to more people being interested in Titanfall 2's (or 3's) more advanced movement mechanics after having gotten used to how the gunplay & movement flows in Apex.

I'm really curious what they have planned for Titanfall - maybe Titan Royale content in apex? TF3? I'm interested to see. But if Apex essentially winds up 'saving' Titanfall by being a breakout success that ensures the survival of the franchise, great.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Despoiler posted:

I thought PUBG was too janky, I thought the building in Fortnite was BS, Blackout was close but it just didn't feel right for some reason... AL is the game I have been waiting for

Add to that for me; Overwatch had the unique hero/class/ult abilities but was too focused on boring routine rock-paper-scissors teamcomp meta for teams of 6 where no one can really 'solo carry', while Apex is more flexible & allows any character/player to potentially become a clutch solo carry against a full 3-man squad.

Oh and let's not forget - even if you get thirsted by the enemy there's a 90 second window where your teammates can potentially still have a chance to save you and bring you back into the game. That's something that this game improves on over every other BR squad game out there right now.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 6, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Bardeh posted:

I wonder how long it sticks around at the top there. Presumably some of the top guys are still in their paid promo time, but I think guys like Summit and Shroud would probably be playing this anyway.

Ninja says he wants to play more of this game and likes it. He says he plans on playing a mix of both it and fortnite.

panda clue posted:

Shroud has been saying he's been dying to play this game for months and that he is going to be playing it for 'a long, long time'.

Yeah, can confirm that shroud wants to make this game his main.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 6, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

^^^^

It looks like this is going to be the main discord goon Apex players are using for the time being (unless this game gets so big with goons we need a whole discord dedicated just to it) so this link should probably be added to the OP.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Just witnessed this amazing gold sniper rifle clutch by Weedbabygoku: https://clips.twitch.tv/PopularSingleDugongANELE

Edit: Bonus melee finisher https://clips.twitch.tv/BreakableBoringFriseeTakeNRG

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 6, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The Jumpoff posted:

Whoever suggested hipfiring in this game, i want you to know you're a drat liar. Even with an R-99 and the dude like 5 feet in front of me my bullets basically made an outline while he turned me into a corpse.

Shotguns tend to be better for hipfire at closer ranges. Can't speak to how well hipfire works on other stuff though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Are there any of you folks who plan to stream this game? Even when I'm busy doing other stuff it's fun watching goons play.

Gimme them stream links so I can follow.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Coolness Averted posted:

On that topic, gently caress assholes who d/c as soon as they die. Dude I picked up the banner and even got to the respawn point :(

This and other poo poo in games like this is why I don't bother playing with anyone but goons/friends. (Or if I get in any discord that's good for fielding reasonably decent team players like I did with fortnite.)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Edit - moving my PSA to the next page.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 6, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Quick PSA for newcomers and people who have been playing since launch who for whatever reason haven't noticed the prize bots in matches:

See this guy? When you see him in matches - shoot him or punch him for prizes.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Now that people are figuring out what strategies work better - virtually every streamer squad right now has a Bloodhound.

Because being able to know where the hell the enemies are behind walls even briefly is a huge help.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

if ticks were “spicy bois” are these sweeties

I think they also come in various different glow-colors of rarity too. (Blue, purple, gold.)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I came to this conclusion independently playing solo while waiting for my friends to get home. Wallhack is huge as is the ultimate.

He has two things that are extremely effective in this game: A speed boost, and a wallhack.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

MerrMan posted:

Shield Guy - ahhh, takes me back to halo3. Good for exploiting weapon asymmetry - seems like an ideal shotgun carrier.

Shield guy is good with anything you're going to be aiming down with ironsights a lot and most of the time you aren't going to be using ironsights with shotguns.

Doesn't mean he can't use them - he can still use his bubble to cheese the enemy with burst damage when they're closer.

In any case, he's probably best kitted with at least 1 LMG. Big clips and sustained shooting with that smol frontal shield is pretty dang good.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 6, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

panda clue posted:

put an unlockable character in a $60 singleplayer game that requires 20+ hours to unlock - people are fine

put an unlockable character in a free multiplayer game that requires 10 hours to unlock, BUT you can buy the character instantly if you really want!, and people lose their loving minds

I would have preferred a model of 'you buy the game at a full-price one-time fee and now and forever all the upcoming heroes are unlocked.'

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

explosivo posted:

This game seems alright, I don't know how much of it I'll play but the biggest takeaway for me is that ALL ONLINE GAMES SHOULD STEAL THIS GAME'S SPOTTING SYSTEM. I don't play a lot of online games anymore because I rarely get the opportunity to engross myself in a game with a headset and voice comms anymore and the spotting system really makes me feel like I'm still able to communicate with my team without having to bang out some text chat real quick. Good poo poo.

For real. The context-sensitive spotting system is some Star Trek poo poo. It works on anything in any ingame menu like magic with one mouseclick.

There will be some pretty interesting GDC-type lectures in the future about how they developed the system in the future I'm sure.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

panda clue posted:

Yeah this is obviously the best option, but any game using this model that has that purchase option is usually pretty mediocre/dying and they have no other choice other than to do that to get money at all. The only one I can even think of off the top of my head that does this is Smite.

Overwatch does it 'sorta' except there's no f2p model where you can 'earn' the heroes. But it's essentially the same thing, and the game sustains its revenue long-term with the wildly unethical practice of loot boxes.

Also - for this game I will never ever ever ever buy a lootbox for it. If I want to buy specific skins with real world currency I will. I'm never buying another lootbox again in any videogame ever.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

panda clue posted:

Yeah, I've gotten my fill of lootboxes for my lifetime. I still spend a shitload of money on cosmetic garbage, but I'm never going to buy another box hoping I get the cosmetic garbage I want.

The carrot on a string motivator of buying lootboxes even if you don't want to is usually something like 'limited time crates of seasonal or one-time chance at certain skins!!!' or 'these other skins you bought left you with some leftover ingame currency - wouldn't you like a lootbox?'

But having played several different games over time that I eventually got bored of and drifted away from - I know that eventually I'll get bored of 'this next big thing' and put it away too. Which means I'll have another account with a bunch of microtransaction purchases I never use again, and I'm really not into doing that again.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Lambert posted:

It's me, the person mapping out my future microtransaction purchasing timeline for a game that has been out for all of two days.

I'm cool with making lootboxes a no-go topic here for the sake of sanity.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Pistols also reload and 'weapon swap' into them very fast. A pistol is there for you to quickly draw out a sidearm and shoot after using up your clip. (Or if you want to conserve you 'main' weapon's clip.) It also will become your run-and-gun weapon in a tight firefight where you need to be mobile.

Early game even the crummy 3-clip pistol shotgun is a decent run-and-gun device until you swap it for a real shotgun.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 7, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I'm hoping for a scrims mode in this game so we can practice or stage lil' tournaments against each other.

Also a respawning deathmatch mode at some point to get people more used to how to handle your weapon would be nice. (In those kinds of modes normally you keep your weapons & items between deaths.) It seems inevitable we'll probably see a team deathmatch mode kind of like that so people can go nuts with the game's mechanics in a more controlled setting than a high stakes BR. As with Fortnite and PUBG, they're great for getting newbies into these games and also for people to jump into for a change of pace if they're tilting too much in regular BR.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 7, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

If you stream or plan on streaming this game, I'd love a link to follow. I like watching goons play & supporting their streams while I'm getting busywork done.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

:gifttank:

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1093380497055629312

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Post any helpful tips / tricks videos you come across.

In this one - I finally found out what Gold equipment items do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x4y9bLH0hs

Gold Helmet = faster ability cooldown and ultimate charge. Otherwise it is identical to a purple helmet.

Gold Armor = when you execute an enemy player, your shields are recharged to max. Otherwise it is identical to a purple armor.

Gold knockdown shield = downed character will eventually self-revive. Same properties otherwise as a purple shield. (This also means, look for a GOLD colored knockdown shield when you down someone - if they have one you want to take them out before they self-revive.)

Gold Backpack = Healing item use is faster. Same capacity as a purple backpack.

Anyway, I'm going to be on the lookout for gun-specific or hero-specific stuff as well as general team strat vids or suggested control/graphical/fov settings. If anyone finds good stuff, please share.

Edit: This one is pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku_50C-ifeY

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 8, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you have never played Titanfall 2 or didn't use the grapple much you should really watch some of the Titanfall 2 grapple videos, proper application of the grapple can literally hurl you through the air like a meteor of death. I haven't played Pathfinder yet tho so I don't know if these are all applicable.

(grapple vid)

Here's a Pathfinder-specific vid I found discussing how his grapple works too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ_3d3m8-Q0

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Also quick PSA - this game is not a plodding camp-and-defend where you have to crawl carefully around cover like a fireteam breaching-and-clearing. This game is a bullet-dodging skate park. Staying still = death. Stay mobile constantly, use the terrain around you for cover or for clever flanks, and minimize how often you actually slow down to aim/shoot.

And on that note:

You can slide in one direction and turn to shoot.

Yes, that means slidey drive-by bullet sprays.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 8, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Gamerofthegame posted:

what guns are good

i seem to find the bad ones

All of them except the shotgun pistol and that one is still semi-okay if you can't find anything else early game and need to fight right after you dropped. (The reason why it's semi-okay is you will tend to not burn through its ammo very quickly post-drop early game when you haven't stocked up on ammo. But swap it for something better or a real shotgun ASAP.)

Full auto SMGs in particular really need their extended mag ASAP to be more reliable though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Here's a video on flatline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cynYL1f5OPc

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Eej posted:

Unless you are playing Caustic, then you absolutely want to methodically crawl and set up in progressive bunkers and houses towards the ring.

I haven't played him yet but I would expect that if you're playing him mobile: Laying down traps while staying mobile in the field would basically gently caress up enemy movement to make the terrain of your mobile shootmans skate park area favor your team.

I'll have to experiment with him later to try that out though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Pops Mgee posted:

Found a gold peacekeeper. Didn't know that was even in the game. Thing was shredded.

I think the gold weapons that are versions of the regular weapons are just the regular weapons with max attachments already slotted. If they have something a little extra to them I'd like to know though.

Also - from what I've seen in how people have best used them, Mastiff shotgun is surprisingly good to use at medium-longish range due to its crazy damage output (you can 2-shot almost anyone at medium-longish range) and the Kraber sniper rifle is probably best used as a snapshot instagib railgun at medium-longish range in the endgame. You can use them as a regular closer-range shotgun or a longrange sniper rifle as well, but you have more breathing room with what you can do with them given their crazy high damage.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 8, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So I downed someone. Pressed E to execute. It did the animation. My teammates were in the building above so didn't shoot it. I even looted their body after.

Kills: 0
Damage: 32

WHAT THE gently caress

Your teammates probably killed the last person just before your kill animation concluded and you actually assist-downed someone you thought you got down credit on.

(Or the game got confused and poo poo the bed on kill credit.)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Weirdly my only gripe is I wish the art style for the characters and environments were a few more degrees closer to Overwatch's cartoony & stylized vibe.

Not by much. Just a wee bit.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 8, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Gunder posted:

I think it might get a bit close to Fortnite's style if it went much further in that direction. I think it's fine as it is.

They ARE in fact stylized and a bit cartoony - just not as immediately obviously so. They're more 'graphic novel' than 'animated film.' But their movements are definitely exaggerated, and the classes have readable silhouettes for the most part.

But as someone who likes stuff that goes for stylized simplicity I would have liked something ~very slightly~ more cartooned.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Nion posted:

My buddy managed to be designated the champion in his first ever game. I'm not 100% sure how it's supposed to work, but that seems a bit off.

I'm gonna guess that everyone else you were playing against (and both you and your other teammate) had just come from losing games.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The tutorial needs to be more fleshed out. It's my first battle royale game, but not my first FPS. At the very least, they need to cover the drop portion of the game.

The tutorial needs a lot more fleshing out for sure. There's a lot of important hero and item info that they leave out - as one example, they should have introduced players to how Pathfinder's beacon tracking ability works - most new players have no idea what it does when they try him out. They also need those treasure bots somewhere in the tutorial area to tell players to be on the lookout for them.

There also needs to be a 'weapon range' mode that just takes you right to the weapon range, and also lets you mess with any attachment or item from the main game. They also need humanoid bots of the different shield levels, moving bots, bots that fire their weapons in a straight line, etc.

For further practice tools: I'd like a scrims mode you can play with against your friends, and possibly a small-arena botmatch mode. Both of which are helpful for helping people get a handle on their marksmanship and general gameplay muscle memory outside the main game.

Also a tournament-host mode where you can run and set the rules of a tournament server, and choose players to invite to the tournament roster. Would be swell to have giant goon-only BRs - or to stage large-group-photo ops.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 8, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Kinda feel like caustic would pair well with pathfinder too for being able to know where the next circle is and set up traps in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The kraber and the mastiff are why almost everyone takes Flatline on their team. Every care package ult she gets is another roll of the dice for a kraber or mastiff. Teammates just keep feeding her any ult chargers they find and hope to get lucky. (In addition to trying to raid world-drop care packages.)

Tbh I think flatline's ult should be replaced with something else and just give every team the ability to call down a personal care package.

I actually would like a 'personal loadout care package' mechanic in the game at some point though. One where you can call down a specific set of preferred mid-tier items you want or a normal weapon you want but haven't been able to find.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 8, 2019