Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Not sure why people expected news in this Direct, but there was no Silksong info at all in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

ymgve posted:

Not sure why people expected news in this Direct, but there was no Silksong info at all in it.

Just wishful thinking, that’s all.

In other news, a friend gifted my the Hollow Knight official art book. The cover is absolutely gorgeous but the binding wasn’t well done and the first few pages already fell out. Bummer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

part of me has always kind of assumed that any delay is 100% because of nintendo and 100% because they would want a switch version to be ready and launch at the same time as the pc copy

worst case scenario is them bullying team cherry into doing a switch release first

This post is diseased

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Could it be? :pray:

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1287883040367112192

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sweet, been waiting for another update on Wayforward’s Bakugan game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just tell me when it’s out in Switch.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

repiv posted:

Could it be? :pray:

It was Cuphead. But surely the next mystery game announcement will be Hollow Knight, I mean, how many games are there?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Silk song is real 2041

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I would bet a dollar that Geoff Keighley doesn't know who Team Cherry is or what Hollow Knight is.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I doubt that it was hopeless to think that it might have been featured.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can't be disappointed expecting everything to be Silksong if you expect everything to be Deltarune. *taps forehead*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i can't see deltarune being released with any fanfare

toby fox will just make a tweet that says "bark" and it'll be on steam

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i can't see deltarune being released with any fanfare

toby fox will just make a tweet that says "bark" and it'll be on steam

What if Deltarune is hidden inside Frog Fractions 2? Has anyone checked?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
ok from now on only bump this thread if the game is out (current post excepted)

i can't stand the disappointment

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

OH MY GOD GUYS playing as Hornet is gunna be hella rad

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HMS Beagle posted:

What if Deltarune is hidden inside Frog Fractions 2? Has anyone checked?

I did, it is, I won't tell you where.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder what will come out first: Psychonauts 2, Silksong or that expansion to Cuphead?
Edit: The expansion is called "The Delicious last course" for reference.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 29, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Both of those will come out before Silksong quite easily I think

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

this is pretty much the perfect example of a game i have absolutely no release anxiety about and am content to wait however long it takes for a final release as masterfully and artfully crafted as Hollow Knight

with a single installment Hollow Knight has put itself on the same level of expectations as games like Zelda and Mario to me

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I played Ori 2, since it was on sale during Summer.
The second I was done with the game, i reinstalled Hollow Knight to do my third playthrough, and it was so amazing.
All I'm saying is that Hollow Knight: Silksong is going to be good.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Wheeee posted:

this is pretty much the perfect example of a game i have absolutely no release anxiety about and am content to wait however long it takes for a final release as masterfully and artfully crafted as Hollow Knight

with a single installment Hollow Knight has put itself on the same level of expectations as games like Zelda and Mario to me

I'm almost the same; I dont care if the release date is "definitely within six months from now" or if it's "eh, we're looking at it being summer of 2023" but I just wish team cherry would tell us.

Just please give us a window, tell us how much longer you think your game is going to take. I can handle it if it's still going to be a while (in fact I'd be happy because it would mean even more game when it finally arrives) but i hate having no info and no way to set my expectations.

The fact it's been so long without a peep is starting to make me suspect there's been some sort of behind the scenes development hell, aside from the "normal" 2020 covid situation.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im fine with whatever. Tons of things to do both in games and outside of them. I can wait. As long as the devs occasionally show that they still have a pulse Im good. :cheerdoge:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, they post on IG occasionally and the game looks gorgeous. Thankfully game development is something that is pretty easy to do from home, so I doubt there'll be any covid related delay, at least.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm just impatient, it's not as if I've not got a huge backlog of games I'm dipping into while I wait for the next few months to pass. I just know I'm going to love this game. I tried to get into will o the wisp twice but it didn't hold my interest.

Carrion is mean though. Play Carrion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is why most of the time games aren't announced until the marketing hype cycle is ready to begin

early announcements are usually just placeholders for "we haven't forgotten this!!!" and are never satisfying and lead to a lot of frustration

in this case it was necessary because it was team cherry announcing their plans to fulfill their kickstarter promise of playable hornet but if they could have gotten away with staying silent they probably should have

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Nothing should ever be announced until 2 months before release max imo. Preferably 2 or 3 weeks.

Announce, spend the next few weeks steadily releasing info in a manner designed to build excitement to a fever pitch, while the news of the announcement is still fresh in peoples minds. Then bam, release the thing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember looking at the smash brothers brawl site just about every day.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es8wlbKNTbI

Wow it's just like I'm playing Silksong right now

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/numijulie/status/1293652668490145797

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is that a "meme"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

morestuff posted:

Is that a "meme"

Yes.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Uh..... still radio silence from Team Cherry?
I guess they’re just self-funding development so there’s no reason to have a thousand backer characters and quotes or to describe progress. Guessing 2021, then.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
How long was hollow knight in development for? I'd expect silksong to be slightly faster since they can probably reuse a bunch of things.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Coffee Jones posted:

I guess they’re just self-funding development so there’s no reason to have a thousand backer characters and quotes or to describe progress. Guessing 2021, then.

Irrelevant anecdote:

There was a backer-character in Undertale that's impossible to find in normal play, but those that did find him loving hated him because he's an OC who regularly appears in fetish art.

On the SFW spectrum there were hundreds of Backer NPCs standing around in Pillars of Eternity. Mercifully they never coincide with any quests and you can kill them for their sweet gear.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Coffee Jones posted:

2020 was rough for everybody :smith:

They're a very small team and it seems like Silksong is going to be even more vastly ambitious than Hollow Knight.

I do think its better for game studios to wait to show off much until they really know the game is mostly done, you risk talking about things that you later find don't work out and cut and then people get a bit upset.

It sucks but its gonna be so good when it gets here!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I imagine they announced early because playable Hornet was originally a kickstarter stretch goal, and they wanted to get that out there once they'd made the decision to give her her own game instead.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm okay waiting however long it takes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't mind waiting for a game that is going to be as beautifully made and put together as Hollow Knight was, but also every single second I have to wait is searing anguish beyond all human capacity to withstand :hmmyes:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s out now, though. Are you all not seeing the link? I’m having a tough time with the Cursed Lace fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bogart posted:

It’s out now, though. Are you all not seeing the link? I’m having a tough time with the Cursed Lace fight.

You got it mixed up with Hades.