Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Looking forward to Sword and Shield and the two new legendary Pokemon who will be based on the unstoppable force and immovable object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The F-71 G-Cannon looks better than most actual Gundams, including Unicorn. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Charmander's the best starter anyways. I liked how Mega Charizard Y was basically a "gently caress your water types here's some decent speed and the ability to solar beam every turn."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Framboise posted:

I got little use out of the GTS because even for a lot of simple things, people were making pretty ridiculous demands for trades. No, I'm not gonna give you a level 80 rare Pokemon for your breeding chaff. Just gimme the other starters I don't have!

Wonder trade was more fun even if you end up with a lot of low effort lv. 2-5 trash, because getting the occasional good and cool Pokemon is like cracking a chase rare out of a pack of magic cards or a mobage gacha. It's exciting!

GTS netted me a multiscale scale Dratini with Extreme Speed in the first couple days of Y being out since the person trading it was from Japan. That little guy grew up to be such a wonderful shitwrecker to say nothing of the (near) perfect IV Dratini it eventually produced.

Gonna be sad if it's gone again. Wonder Trade was cool as a concept but I never got anything interesting it. Lots of level < 10 starter area trash though.

Catalina posted:

Oh yeah, Something Awful! That always had a pretty good community, I should check what's going on - "

I don't know what Something Awful you're referring to but it's not this place.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pokemon Shield is fun. The animations for some moves are low effort but stuff like Waterfall and Fire Wheel are fine. It's a shame they level gated capturing Pokemon though because as soon as I reached the Wild Area and started exploring it I managed to drop the level 34 Pancoro down to 1hp and paralyzed but I wasn't allowed to try and capture it. All that work by my level 16-17 team, wasted. :(

Pretty sure I spent 4-5 hours wandering the Wild Area on that first visit and capture everything that could show up at level 20 or lower.

That you can buy different uniforms but are forced to use the default one in challenge matches is kinda BS. Don't sell cool uniforms without making it clear that you can't replace your generic one with them (or the other gym uniforms). Let me wear my steel uniform when stomping gym leaders. :mad:

On the upside Gyarados still owns, as does Gardivoir, so it's not like there's a shortage of good pokemon after the culling. Also ended up with an Axew when I noticed one of the lairs had a different purple beam with an effect around it, so a future Haxorus was a nice get too.

My 1st RNG trade was a level 41 Sawk from a Japanese player which was cool yet sadly useless to a newbie aside from being a wall of HP to have soaking hits while trying to capture low HP Pokemon.

Someone please get them to change Ash's awful pencil mustache'd face.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Just caught a timid Gigantimax Butterfree from a raid, sweet!

I'm 0 for 6 on catching those in raids and it's real annoying. It's a 3* fight and even at 4 badges it still instantly breaks out of any ball I use. Net, Ultra, Timer, whatever. All break instantly. Even the dynamax Steelix I tried to capture at least shook the ball once before breaking out. I don't know if they're always g-max but a couple definitely were due to using g-max moves against us.

That was also with one attempt where one of the players on our team kept OHKOing a person on our team every round to try and make us fail the fight. I don't know why we're allowed to target other players with non-AOE but I could easily see people griefing others in rare fights by just murdering the team to force a 4 faint loss.

iospace posted:

Bad:
Wild area with internet on: not sure if it's the engine or the hardware but it chokes. Runs fine in solo. Caveat: only tried in handheld mode.

Considering how many other players it's loading in to the area for you, I'm going to say it's a processing bottleneck. When I first hit that zone on Friday the load in point for when you first reach the area was like a clown car of endless trainers exiting from an every-changing trainer model. I thought the game had bugged out until I realized the Wild Area is a quasi-MMO zone.

Calaveron posted:

Yamper fucken sucks. I hope I find that electric poison guy soon

Mods ban this monster.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 17, 2019

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Can you recolor your Pokemon at all? Because I originally named my Grookey Goku and it was clearly meant to be because Rillaboom is rocking a SSJ3 mane of hair.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Caught my first good (sorry Meowth) Gigantamax: Corviknight. Doesn't seem amazing on stats but it's solid enough, especially with it only being weak to fire and electric while being immune to two types and resistant to a whole lot more. Picked up a Bisharp right after and a Steelix right before it so I went from having no decent steel options to having several.

Blaziken386 posted:

uh, no

sorry, but that's never been a thing in pokemon

the only recolors are "shiny" pokemon, with a different, set, color scheme, and the chance of finding one without specifically trying to breed or chain for it is like, 1 in 4000.

In hindsight I guess it was silly to hope for a new mechanic like that when Sword and Shield have cut back a bit overall. :(

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God dam Bede is insufferable. I’m making it my missions to one shot him every single time.

My Gardivoir has done this repeatedly and it never gets old. I never used Gardevoir much in the other games and that was clearly a mistake. Maybe it wasn't as good before fairy type existed but a psychic + fairy type with moonbeam and psychic wrecks poo poo even when it isn't weak against that typing. I had a Golisopod setup for the ice gym, not realizing how annoying Emergency Exit was, so I just swapped to Gardevoir and murdered everything. HP gets low? Use Draining Kiss and there's a big chunk of HP recovered if the target wasn't already near-dead.

Dad Jokes posted:

I've had luck manually disconnecting to local and reconnecting to internet to refresh cards. Kind of weird that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the refresh option to appear.

I wouldn't be surprised if the long delay is because letting people refresh often would cause server issues due to a few (million) people refreshing for raids every few seconds. It still sucks though. I hit x, refresh stamps, and any rare/good pokemon raid is usually already full. I hosted a Ditto raid once and 3 people filled it within a couple seconds.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Eminai posted:

Set your text speed to slow, save right outside the Ditto Den, throw a wishing star in, and you can see the color before it starts to save the game. Reset if it's the normal color and not the rare color.

Spanish Manlove posted:

gently caress youtube, you were able to explain a 14 minute video in less than 50 words

How much hell is it to get a 5-6 IV ditto though? 4 perfect IV base is great but 1/32 chance at a 5 (and I'm guessing 6 is impossible) sounds like a special kind of hell. I miss the perfect ditto a goon gave me back in Pokemon Y. :(

RatHat posted:

Garchomp is like a mix of a shark and a jet.

Those are called A-10s.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I posted this last page-ish

Watch this get immediately patched

They'd have to patch that the game saves for the host as soon as the fight starts and that it wipes the lair as well, or something to that effect. Could they do it? Sure, but leaving it in and making use of it means you're (presumably) playing with a bunch of friends and interacting which they kinda want Pokemon players to do so :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Chronojam posted:

I've started using ultra balls after net balls and great balls weren't cutting it, but still can't catch these drat dynamax butterfrees

Net balls are better than ultra balls so going to ultra balls was a downgrade.

Unless the capture mechanism and ball strengths changed for sword and shield. Which seems unlikely.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Earthquaking your allies is the best part of Excadrill.

Just need some flying or levitating teammates.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thank you, seems like Raid pokemon are very good breeding fodder and the ball seems to be irrelevant to success rates so I'll continue catching them in whatever looks coolest

When/where was this confirmed? If it's true that's pretty drat terrible.

ImpAtom posted:

It is selling faster than S/M?

Seems unlikely. S&M had a much larger install base to work with.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

:stonk:

lezard_valeth posted:

Apparently the Obstagoon raid is also hard. I'mma have a blast breeding pokes to bring to these specific raids

https://twitter.com/ScraftyDevil/status/1197670371962413057

The KISS Army cannot be stopped.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So how do i make my knight bird even better? What nature/moves should I be aiming for?

Adamant Nature because I think its sp.atk sucks?

Drill Peck, Iron Head, Body Press, Iron Defense is what I have on my G-Max Corviknight though I don't have U-Turn's TM yet. Once I get that IDK what I'd drop for it though, if anything. Iron Defense once or twice turns it in to a ridiculously hard to kill bird if the opponent doesn't have fire or electric.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ran what looked like a G-Max Corviknight lair someone hosted last night, entered the fight and didn't see unnerve so I wasn't sure if I missed it or if it had Mirror Armor. Turns out it was a G-Max with Mirror Armor after all.

And perfect IVs across the board. :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I wish badges didn't limit the level of mons you could catch, because if they didn't do that I'd have caught the lvl 34 Pangoro on my first visit to the Wild Area and probably worked my way up from there until I had a full team of level 50+ mons.

...sure, that's a good reason to limit catch level, but still it'd have been nice to have the option of throwing what little challenge the story tries to provide right out the window.

Super No Vacancy posted:

to be clear there's no point to the gigantamax forms right. you can only get them postgame, you cant use them for online battles, and theyre gonna be removed for the next games like every other gimmick?

You can get and use them before the postgame. They each have a special g-max move as well.

soscannonballs posted:

How does anyone in pokemon world justify eating seafood or even any kind of meat?

Pokemon has sentient, intelligent plants. Vegetarians are probably a lot rarer too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Eimi posted:

What do you do when only 5 star raids are spawning and you're just level 67~ so not able to solo them. Is there a way to reset? Or is your only option to e4 grind the rest of the day until new ones spawn?

Burn the xp candies you probably don’t realize you’ve been building up. Or hop in discord and get some goons to help.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Going by the anime they are all just regularly egg-like but paterned after what’s going to hatch from them.

Pokemon: A franchise that has made tens of billions of dollars over the years but its anime still has generic low budget/effort design.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

If gym leaders actually carried a full team of pokemon I'd probably have to retry some of the fights.

That said, fighting has always just been a mystery to me and I get hosed up by them more than any other typing I think.

Just bring a gyarados with a flying move. Or gardevoir. Gardevoir destroys poo poo left and right.

Beelzebozo posted:

Looks like they might be fixing the raid exploit. Get your gmax bois soon!

https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

Maybe the clock change exploit but the rare spawn reset trick is going to require something like having the game pick the spawn and save before showing you the light beam. Tbh if they patch these out I’ll just focus on my Pokédex, breeding, and stop raiding unless I see something new or useful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Some of them are 3*. But no way to get 1-2* that I know of. Eat all the XP candy you've been saving on something - Eternatus probably is best in terms of raw power, or your legendary doggo - and share with the internet if you care about doing them.

Starting to breed my Battle Tower team, so if anybody's not using their Beast Ball, it's the only fashion I care about and I'd love to take it off your hands!

Unless the mon is super effectiv vs poisondragons, or its some bullshit fight like Gene Simmons, use Eternatus. It’s 100 power cannon is doubled vs dynamax stuff. So 200 power that never misses and does a shitload of dmg through barriers. God help the target if it’s weak to dragon too.

Alternately bring something like Corviknight with just two weaknesses, lots of resists, a decent bulk, and the ability to self buff and just smack poo poo around as neeeded when it’s not a gimmick raid.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Critical hits seem to bust straight through gigamax shields btw.

They don’t. They just do more damage through the shield. Source: my level 100 Eternatus doing maybe 10% of a mon’s hp through the shield with a cannon crit when that’s a 100 power move that gets STAB and then double dmg vs dynamax targets. If crits ignored shields it’d one shot anything that isn’t a fairy, steel, or ice type.

seiferguy posted:

Is it possible to do link trades with whoever you want in the world by just using the same 4 digit code?

Finding a deino may be the end of me...

Mercifully yes. Why they didn’t do something similar for raids or just let you invites friends directly? Who knows.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Since Snorlax G-Maxes in to Delta Snorlax I assume this means Pokemon Insurgence is now canon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sea Lily posted:

Every pokeball is functionally identical for catching a raid Pokemon, except for the master ball. Use whatever you like

There's no trick it's just random

When/where was this confirmed because it's real dumb if true. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Breeding two g-max parents should produce g-max offspring.. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Eimi posted:

Yeah I personally don't like open games or see what challenging the gyms in any order would improve. Having linear order means there's the possibility of doing something more interesting with the story and a rising challenge. I'd rather they just apply the design principles of the wild area to the various routes themselves. The actual wild area is kind of boring, and to me personally navigating to raids is extremely frustrating since so many weather effects obscure the stupid lights.

Ideal situation:

A Pokemon game has its normal routes you can follow but those are part of a fully built out region with random stuff found in the landscape outside of the route. Random trainers (including ones with actual teams), Pokemon lairs, optional towns, side missions, etc. You can get the fully story experience sticking to the routes but you can wander freely and explore/get wrecked as you like. Some areas could be gated by badges or items like we got a taste of in SwSh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I wish Pokemon game saves were compatible with the Nintendo cloud saves

They probably are. However if you could do cloud save backups it’d be trivial to use those backups for duping mons and items which is probably why they don’t allow it. You’d have someone make a backup of a save with a 6iv ditto holding a master ball and they’d be able to trade it then restore the backup repeatedly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Ugh Christ, look IGN is Molly if you can tell me where on the card the 4 digit code is I'll give that to you and we can play fast and loose with it, is there anything in particular you want? I'll let you know on here if we make successful contact.

Coordinate in discord?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Someone in this thread gave me some foreign 5 iv dittos for Sun and Moon and that person will forever be my hero.

They actually made breeding fun, or at least much less unbearable.

I should learn how to hack mons and spread the love, hacked mons are a blessing.

Someone handed out 6 iv dittos in x and y and I want my Uber breeding ditto for SwSh. Though I don’t think it was a foreign ditto unfortunately.

Flopsy posted:

Dragon centipede takes offense at your blasphemy.

Turn in your Corviknight av for neglecting your metallic gmax bird god. :colbert:

lezard_valeth posted:

Someone made a regional variant Fighting/Ghost Machamp and now I want it so badly

New Ashura’s Wrath looking good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

I just got a shiny 6 IV ditto with pokerus and I feel morally justified.

e: foreign language too

The best justice is shared justice. :wink:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The only balls you should ever have end-game are net, quick, repeat, and dusk. Maybe a couple ultra balls for first time catches that aren't in raid dens(which count as night time)

Or pretty ones for fashion

Timer balls have the best capture rate, excluding quick balls turn 1, after 5-6 turns IIRC. You’ll want those when false swiping down things down, especially if it isn’t night or a water/bug Pokémon because timer balls are better than ultra balls by turn four.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nessa posted:

A friend of mine had the cool idea that the gym leaders should be people you can invite to raid battles once you get their rare league cards. They even say that you can call them any time. Why not have it so you can call them for a raid, especially since you know what type of Pokémon they’ll bring.

Pleas keep your good raid design ideas where they belong: not in SwSh. :v:

blizzardvizard posted:

I do wish Raihan's team in the Cup is less of a hodge-podge though. I mean Torkoal, really??? I also lowkey wish he had a Tyranitar, who is kinda sorta dragon-adjacent and that would better fit his dragon schtick

Also the two fossil dragons having Sand Rush as their Hidden Abilities kinda feel like they're meant to be in Raihan's team and it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

Pretty sure Torkoal is there as a gently caress You for anyone who wanted to roll through a dragon team by using an ice type.

Unfortunately for Raihon, I brought a Gardevoir which proceeded to sweep his team in to the trash where it belonged because you can’t have a real dragon team without dragonite.

Flopsy posted:

It's amazing we've gone 8 generations and they're only now just dipping their toes in this pond.

pincurchin, elektross, dragalge, nihilego....seriously the list goes on.

They don’t want the story to be hard, the fact that battle tower and other optional stuff with actual teams has existed for awhile should make it clear they know how to setup harder fights when they want to.

It’s why I think ‘ace trainer’ NPCs should be passive and marked differently, but given real teams and a warning that these trainers are traveling pros who *will* gently caress up your casual team if you try to just bulldoze them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Pity clover studios is dead....

anybody here know if a den resets if you lose? As in a different pokemon the same species comes through?

If you’d lose the den just remains as is with the same Pokémon inside for you to refight. This also means you can save the game and then endlessly host a rare popular den like gmax charizard or five star ditto because once th capture window comes up you can reset your game and not lose the den, while the other 1-3 players can try to capture the mon and then you host It again. If by some miracle I got a perfect ditto lair I’d host that poo poo nonstop for goons (though I’d want a nonenglosh goon to toss me one of those dittos).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

less than three posted:

Eternatus seems to be inspired by a warp gate in EVE.

The Caldari are desecendants of Pokémon trainers.

Macaluso posted:

Is Team Rocket still Jesse, James and Meowth? If they want to replace Ash's friends each time then fine but I will not stand for them breaking up the Team Rocket family in the same way

Wasn’t there some other team rocket group with a rattacate? I think it was Butch and Cassidy? I don’t remember much about them other than they sucked.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Quote posted:

Mints rule, gang. Use mints. You'll save a ton of time, even if you have to win the BP.

e: Seriously, the amount of time you can cut out of breeding by using both the Destiny Knot AND one of the power items is completely worth it.

I get th destiny knot usage but what’s this about a power item, does that max the power item’s stat for eggs or something else?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I mean also part of it was in Gen 1 you could literally just draw An Actual Cat and say "this is a pokemon" and make it normal type

And if you did that 3 more times people would probably just poo poo on you, so you have to make the Dark Type Cat dark and spiky

I like a lot of the new designs this gen but I absolutely hate how the starters final forms are essentially now Digimon

Rillaboom has ssj3 hair.

It’s weird for people to say gen1 designs were more complex when that includes stuff like voltorb and jigglypuff. Even dratini and dragonair are pretty simple. Mewtwo looks cool but SwSh dogs are honestly more complex in their designs. Shame about Eternatus though...

Your Computer posted:

that's supposed to be its nose? :psyduck:

why is it on top of its head

Have none of you people ever seen a snapping turtle irl? Alligator snappers are prehistoric monsters. Dreadnaw fits right in with them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

I would pay up to $10 for DLC that did nothing but let me release whole boxes of pokemon at once.

This and let me lock a Pokemon so it cannot be released or traded. Even low tier gacha games have had unit lock options for years. And a mass sell (release) function because bloat is bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Raid dens reset as soon as you clear all dens currently on the map, as far as I can tell. Also as time passes, but I dunno what the metric there is; doesn't seem to happen daily, at least.

Dens reset at midnight.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The trick there is to use something that boosts the defenses of your allies like Max Steelspike.

Even then it's still a gamble depending on which set of 3 infants your NPC partners decide to bring.

There really should be a 'quit' option if you're fighting offline.

Reset the game?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I wonder if one of the reasons they removed Dragon Rage is because the fixed 40 damage was going through the raid shields and letting testers tear through the raids faster than an all Eternatus squad.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's what we have mints for.

Shame they're 50 BP and not something less tedious like 100k Poke Bucks.

Framboise posted:

I did some wonder trading last night and got a Chinese Dreepy with Adamant Nature, absolute perfect IVs, and Pokerus.

... am I safe to use this competitively? Saves me time breeding my own, but I have a nagging feeling it could have been hacked.

Use it to breed 5-6 IV Dreepy because those will be safe regardless?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

50 BP aint nothin. Just get the Fossil Fish and press the fish button.

Don’t have a a Frankenmon but I guess that’s always an option since it seems to be stupidly op. Still any annoying time sink.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

GenericGirlName posted:

It's almost like you don't need the BP or anything other than meta..?

Ah gently caress I lost my edit but basically, this is the easiest gaining of BP in the history of the tower. I get that it sucks but you need it for even less previously and gain way more for no investment.

This isn't a plus for the SwSh Battle Tower, it's further condemnation of the previous Gen towers.

"It's only X hours of not-fun instead of X+Y hours" isn't a good selling point. If there was a way to get BP faster, be it double or nothing or harder fights or whatever, yeah sure I guess. Props to them for having less stuff gated by the BT but it's just one of the many things that needs a content patch and maybe we'll see it fleshed out in the third/ultra games or whatever in another year.

The third Pokemon for this gen should have you play as Bede or Marnie.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Random stream of consciousness post re: Sw/Sh.

1. Kabu is the most Japanese middle-aged/old guy working out ever.
2. Leon still wearing his champion cape and shirt in the rematch arena is a dumb oversight, especially since he wears the ringleader uniform in BT.
3. I'm kind of mad they didn't do anything with the rock formations outside the grass gym.
4. They need to do a game where you aren't playing as a new, unnamed character. I don't care about self-insert crap. Give me something like Persona 2. It isn't like you still can't do dress up with the character models.
5. Raihan's clothing make it look like he has a beer gut, which is hilarious when you consider he's the most self-image obsessed gym leader.

Just looked this up. That was....pretty brutal. But loving lol was everyone super off model in that scene.

The models aren’t off, the anime art style is just that bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I hate hate hate this catch level cap. It's asinine.

Also, how many Gens until the Rotoms take over completely?

I'd rather they drop the max level of the Wild Area, or just gate some spots, than have high level stuff you can't catch.

I took that goddamn level 34 Pangoro to 1hp and paralyzed using a team of level 16-17 mons all for nothing because of it. It's not like they try to make the story challenging so why do they care if I want to spent a dozen hours in the Wild Area catching my way up to level 60 mons before the first gym. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Framboise posted:

I think I'm more surprised that the overwhelming bulk of Pokemon's profits come from merch rather than the games/TCG.

That, and that Winnie the Pooh is in third place, even over Mickey Mouse.

Have you never gone in a toy or clothing store? There is tons of Pokémon merchandise for a reason.

That chart looks like a guess on revenue breakdown. The idea Gundam revenue is all merchandise but no manga, movie, tv, or video game is nonsense.